Author Topic: Blu-Ray Animation  (Read 4424 times)

Touti

Blu-Ray Animation
« on: August 21, 2009, 09:40:46 PM »
This is probably a dumb question but would animated movies benefit from Blu-Ray ?  I'm thinking a becoming a member of Columbia House to slowly start my blu-ray collection and since the first 4 movies are only 1$/ea I'm wondering if it would be a waste to get Ice Age or if it would look better than the DVD version.

Najemikon

Re: Blu-Ray Animation
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 09:57:40 PM »
I'd say animated can be the most impressive and after watching the magnificent WALL.E on Blu, I can now see more defects on DVD animations! Don't misunderstand me, DVD looks sodding amazing, but Blu goes next gear.

Whether it would be worth upgrading an animated DVD to Blu, I'm not sold, but new viewings are Blu only for me when it comes to animated. :thumbup:

Touti

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 10:05:38 PM »
My problem sort of fixed itself when I realized that I was no longer looking at Blu-Ray movies so Ice Age wasn't an option.

I signed up with

The Reader - 1.00$
Milk - 1.00$
Twister - 1.00$
American Gangster - 1.00$
The Wrestler - 19.95$
I Am Legend - 14.95 $

Comes to a total of 44.84$ including 5.94$ for shipping.  Of course it's not on the receipt but I'm most probably gonna be charged sales tax on it so it should come around 50.00$ CAD.  Not bad for 6 BR movies, the only one I've ever seen is Twister which is one of my favorite and should be nice in Blu-Ray, the other 5 all seem pretty good.

Trurl

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 08:36:42 PM »
IMHO Blu-Ray does look demonstrably better for animation but most well authored animation DVD releases already look so good it's not the night-and-day jump you might get otherwise.  I'm basically a total HD convert now though.  I won't buy anything on DVD any more unless it's OOP and that's the only way to get it.

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 08:49:11 PM »
I'm not fussed about Blu-Ray for basic comedies and dramas. I saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Juno over the last few nights on DVD and neither had anything that made me wish I'd waited for the blu to come down in price...

Trurl

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 01:22:19 AM »
There are definitely things I can't imagine ever getting that worked up over having on Blu-Ray.  Does the world really need a HD disk of C.H.U.D.   :tease:  Lots of B movies and such I'll probably always keep on DVD.

Touti

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 08:29:22 PM »
Columbia House is off to a bad start with me.  I got a box today with only 2 Blu-Rays, 4 Free DVD certificates and a note on my invoice with 4 item number saying that they're not available as enrollment item but I can use the certificates to get 4 DVD's for free.

Why was I able to choose them when signing up online if they're not available as enrollment item ?

Boomstick98

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 09:09:43 PM »
I have only had my Blu Ray player for a week, but my experience so far with animated movies has been good. If nothing else I believe the colors are much brighter and stand out more on Blu Ray. I will probably limit my Blu Ray collection to Sci-Fi, Action, and Animation for the time being. I have purchased a couple of comedies on Blu Ray, and there wasn't enough difference to pay the extra price for. Once the prices come down a little more I will start getting everything on Blu Ray.

What prices are you seeing in your area? I am currently seeing around $29.99 for new releases with the occasional $24.99.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 06:27:39 AM »
If you don't mind buying online then Amazon will be your best friend for Blu-ray. They have lots of stuff for $20 and below. Obviously it depends on the item and what you are getting for that amount.

...or DeepDiscount.com during their half-yearly stgore-wide sale.

RossRoy

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 01:21:47 PM »
If you don't mind buying online then Amazon will be your best friend for Blu-ray. They have lots of stuff for $20 and below. Obviously it depends on the item and what you are getting for that amount.

...or DeepDiscount.com during their half-yearly stgore-wide sale.

I guess October's marathon can't come soon enough for you too!  :hysterical:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 06:17:07 AM »
I guess October's marathon can't come soon enough for you too!  :hysterical:
:hmmmm: intersting typo indeed :laugh:

I definitely would look forward to it, but unfortunately I can't participate (or at least only the last week...). :weep: I'll be in germany and don't plan on travelling with DVDs

Touti

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 10:13:05 PM »
I have only had my Blu Ray player for a week, but my experience so far with animated movies has been good. If nothing else I believe the colors are much brighter and stand out more on Blu Ray. I will probably limit my Blu Ray collection to Sci-Fi, Action, and Animation for the time being. I have purchased a couple of comedies on Blu Ray, and there wasn't enough difference to pay the extra price for. Once the prices come down a little more I will start getting everything on Blu Ray.

What prices are you seeing in your area? I am currently seeing around $29.99 for new releases with the occasional $24.99.

So far I've received two of the six movies I was supposed to get from Columbia House.  They are "Twister" and "I am Legend".  I regret buying Twister because the picture quality is no better than on regular DVD, they really messed up with the transfer.  But after searching for info on this I found that the blu-ray.com site has good reviews on many blu-rays which include comments and evaluation of the picture and sound qualities.

Here's the results of a search on "Twister"
http://ca.blu-ray.com/search/?action=search&section=movies&keyword=twister&searchbutton.x=27&searchbutton.y=7

They don't seem to have all the reviews for all countries but I'm assuming that regardless of which countries the release is for, if it's the same distributor it's most probably the same transfer so when they don't have it for Canada I just check the US version.

It's worth checking before buying to avoid disappointment...........and wasting money.

Najemikon

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 01:25:33 AM »
Hmmm, sounds like the region B is good, which is strange.

Do you ever look at beaver?  :devil:

:hysterical:

Oh, I bet you've missed comedy like that, Eric! I mean, DVD Beaver. Their reviews are excellent, with nice big image captures. Here's the link to their Twister review and you were definitely right... http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews37/twister_blu-ray.htm

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 06:45:48 AM »
Oh, I bet you've missed comedy like that, Eric! I mean, DVD Beaver. Their reviews are excellent, with nice big image captures. Here's the link to their Twister review and you were definitely right... http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews37/twister_blu-ray.htm
According to those screenshots the Blu-ray is indeed nothing to write home about. While the clarity is improved it also introduces DNR and the collors were better on the DVD (obviously IMO).

Touti

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 01:51:46 PM »
According to those screenshots the Blu-ray is indeed nothing to write home about. While the clarity is improved it also introduces DNR and the collors were better on the DVD (obviously IMO).

What's DNR ?

Honestly, I was very very disappointed when I watched it.  I know it was a bit naive of me but I simply assumed that a movie that is entirely based on visual effects would have been worked on to give us more on blu-ray than it did on DVD.  My biggest disappointment wasn't about colors, it was about all grainy the picture was, looking at the pictures in Jon's link we can see that it's improved over DVD but that's not enough, no HD movie should be grainy like that, it goes again the very reason behind HD.