Author Topic: What Movies I Been Watching  (Read 467456 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: What Movies I Been Watching
« Reply #555 on: December 01, 2013, 01:49:22 PM »
     Life as We Know It (2010/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Warner Home Video
Director:Greg Berlanti
Writing:Ian Deitchman (Writer), Kristin Rusk Robinson (Writer)
Length:114 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Sexual Material, Language and Some Drug Content
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Katherine Heigl as Holly Berenson
Josh Duhamel as Eric Messer
Josh Lucas as Sam
SophieAlexis Clagett
Brynn Clagett

Plot:
Holly (Katherine Heigl) is an up-and-coming caterer and Messer (Josh Duhamel) is a promising network sports director. After a disastrous first date, all the have in common is their dislike for each other and their love for their goddaughter Sophie. But when they suddenly become all Sophie has in this world, Holly and Messer must set their differences aside. Juggling career ambitions and competing social calendars, they'll have to find common ground while living under the same roof. Josh Lucas, Christina Hendricks, Hayes MacArthur and Jean Smart costar in this tart and tender romantic comedy directed by Greg Berlanti (TV's Brothers & Sisters and Everwood).

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes

My Thoughts:
When I picked this one up at the library yesterday I thought it was one I never seen before. But it turns out I did see it. Not sure where... probably either through Netflix or on cable. I grabbed it because of Katherine Heigl... as I been a fan of hers since her Roswell days. She was also great on Grey's Anatomy. I really enjoyed this one quite a bit. I found the storyline to be entertaining... and thought everyone in it did a good job. If you never seen this one before I recommend checking it out.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: December 01, 2013, 04:04:56 PM »
     Captain America: Re-Release 1992 Edition (1990/United States)
MGM Home Entertainment, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Director:Albert Pyun
Writing:Joe Simon (Original Characters By), Jack Kirby (Original Characters By), Stephen Tolkin (Writer), Lawrence Block (Writer)
Length:97 min.
Rating:PG-13
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:None

Stars:
Matt Salinger as Steve Rogers and Captain America
Ronny Cox as Tom Kimball
Ned Beatty as Sam Kolawetz
Darren McGavin as General Fleming
Michael Nouri as Lt. Colonel Louis
Scott Paulin as The Red Skull

Plot:
The Red Skull defeats Captain America in 1941, but the super her is thrown into suspended animation. Captain America is revived 50 years later to face the Red Skull one more time.

Extras:
  • Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:
While I have heard about this film... this is the first time I got to see it. I am glad I finally tracked down a copy... as I enjoyed every minute of it. I found it to be just plain fun. Though I would have liked to seen Captain America in his uniform more during the middle of the film... that is just a minor complaint. This is a DVD I borrowed from the library... so I hope to be able to add it to my collection before too long.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #558 on: December 01, 2013, 06:51:03 PM »
Sadly not available for Region B :(
I only have the DVD with bad VHS transfer.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #560 on: December 01, 2013, 07:09:07 PM »
Thanks, but I am still waiting for a proper Region B release. Currently I have a Region 2 DVD release which was released in 2009. I don't remember how bad the video quality really was. I think it was watchable. So I am only double-dipping on that one, if it is released on Blu-ray.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: December 18, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
     The Blob: The Criterion Collection (1958/United States)
The Criterion Collection, Worldwide Entertaiment
Director:Irvin S. Yeaworth, Jr.
Writing:Theodore Simonson (Screenwriter), Kate Phillips (Screenwriter), Irving H. Millgate (Original Material By)
Length:83 min.
Rating:NR
Video:Widescreen 1.66:1
Audio:English: PCM: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Steve McQueen as Steve Andrews
Aneta Corseaut as Jane Martin
Earl Rowe as Lieutenant Dave
Olin Howland as Old Man
Steven Chase as Dr. T. Hallen
John Benson as Sergeant Jim Bert

Plot:
A CULT CLASSIC OF GOOEY GREATNESS, The Blob follows the havoc wreaked on a small town by an outer-space monster with neither soul nor vertebrae, with Steve McQueen playing a rebel teenager who tries to warn the residents about the jellylike invader. Strong performances and ingenious special effects help The Blob transcend the schlock sci-fi and youth delinquency genres from which it originates. Made outside of Hollywood by a maverick film distributor and a crew whose credits mostly comprised religious and educational shorts, The Blob helped launch the careers of McQueen and composer Burt Bacharach, whose bouncy title song is just one of this film's many unexpected pleasures.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Gallery

My Thoughts:
While I have seen the remake several times... this is the first time I have gotten to see the original. And I must say, I enjoyed every minute of it. Definitely prefer this one over the remake. I never realized till now that the original was in color. All these years I thought t was a B&W film. Anyway, if you haven't seen it yet I recommend this one. I watched a friend's copy... so hoping to add it to my collection before too long.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: December 20, 2013, 12:31:38 AM »
My Thoughts:
While I have seen the remake several times... this is the first time I have gotten to see the original. And I must say, I enjoyed every minute of it. Definitely prefer this one over the remake. I never realized till now that the original was in color. All these years I thought t was a B&W film. Anyway, if you haven't seen it yet I recommend this one. I watched a friend's copy... so hoping to add it to my collection before too long.
I have owned this for a while now, but somehow avoided watching it. I think i'll get to it before soon now...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #563 on: December 20, 2013, 04:53:02 AM »
I don't think I've ever seen that one. 

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: December 23, 2013, 10:59:46 PM »
     R.I.P.D. (2013/United States)
IMDb |Trailer |Wikipedia |
Universal Studios Home Entertainment
Director:Robert Schwentke
Writing:Phil Hay (Screenwriter), Matt Manfredi (Screenwriter), David Dobkin (Story By), Phil Hay (Story By), Matt Manfredi (Story By), Peter M. Lenkov (Original Material By)
Length:96 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Violence, Sci-fi/Fantasy Action, Some Sensuality, and Language Including Sex References
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: DTS: 5.1, French: DTS: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Jeff Bridges as Roy
Ryan Reynolds as Nick
Kevin Bacon as Hayes
Mary-Louise Parker as Proctor
Stephanie Szostak as Julia

Plot:
Jeff Bridges and Ryan Reynolds headline this supernatural action-adventure as two cops dispatched by the Rest In Peace Department (R.I.P.D.) to protect and serve the living from increasingly destructive spirits hiding among the unsuspecting on Earth. When they uncover a plot that could end life as we know it, the new partners have to turn grudging respect into top-notch teamwork to restore the cosmic balance...or watch the tunnel to the afterlife begin sending angry souls the very wrong way.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
I decided to watch this one today. Going into this one I heard both good and bad about it. After watching it... while I can see where the bad reviews were coming from... I personally enjoyed it. Sure it is cheesy as can be... but I just found it to be a whole lot of fun! As always I liked Ryan Reynolds in this film. And for a change I even liked Kevin Bacon. Which is surprising as I usually can't stand him. The one I didn't like in this film would have to be Jeff Bridges. Anyway, if you go into this one just looking for some good cheesy fun... I think you will enjoy it. But if you go into this one expecting anything more I think you will come out of it disappointed.

My Rating:
Pete

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #565 on: December 23, 2013, 11:39:42 PM »
Glad you liked it  8)

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: December 24, 2013, 05:18:33 AM »
Yep ... movies can be great fun without being 'high art'.  And kevin bacon can play a very good bad guy
Thank you
David

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #567 on: December 28, 2013, 05:07:07 AM »
Yup..he can.
I really enjoyed the movie when I saw it.  Yes it was ....goofy at times, but I also thought it was fun and entertaining.  But I also like stuff that is different or odd too. 

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 08, 2014, 12:45:17 AM »
     Man of Steel (2013/United States)
Warner Home Video
Director:Zack Snyder
Writing:David S. Goyer (Screenwriter), David S. Goyer (Story By), Christopher Nolan (Story By), Jerry Siegel (Original Characters By), Joe Shuster (Original Characters By)
Length:143 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Intense Sequences of Sci-fi Violence, Action and Destruction, and for some Language
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Mandarin: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:Chinese, English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Henry Cavill as Clark Kent / Kal-El
Amy Adams as Lois Lane
Michael Shannon as General Zod
Diane Lane as Martha Kent
Russell Crowe as Jor-El
Antje Traue as Faora-Ul

Plot:
A young boy learns that he has extraordinary powers and is not of this Earth. As a young man, he journeys to discover where he came from and what he was sent here to do. But the hero in him must emerge if he is to save the world from annihilation and become the symbol of hope for all mankind.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
I decided to watch this one today. I been looking forward to seeing it for a long time. Over-all I enjoyed this one quite a bit. Sure there was things I disliked about the film. But there was a lot more good then there was bad. I liked the cast... thought they all did a good job. I didn't care much for the updated Superman costume. I much prefer the classic costume. I also not sure how I feel about how much Lois knows about Clark right from the beginning like this. Or how the fight between Superman and General Zod ends. Though it was kind of nice seeing a Superman movie that don't involve Lex Luthor.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #569 on: January 09, 2014, 03:25:18 AM »
I have mixed feelings about how things worked out with General Zod.  On one hand, I see why this choice was made...on the other.  well.  It doesn't ....feel right.

I am ok with Lois knowing sooner.