Author Topic: What Movies I Been Watching  (Read 469974 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: What Movies I Been Watching
« Reply #390 on: February 11, 2013, 05:15:25 PM »
     Rocky (1976/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Director:John G. Avildsen
Writing:Sylvester Stallone (Original Material By)
Length:119 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Sylvester Stallone as Rocky
Talia Shire as Adrian
Burt Young as Paulie
Carl Weathers as Apollo
Burgess Meredith as Mickey
Thayer David as Jergens

Plot:
Nominated* for 10 Academy Awards and winner for Best Picture, it's the film that inspired a nation! Audiences and critics alike cheered this American success story of an "everyman" triumphing over all odds. Featuring a dynamic musical score, a thrilling fight sequence and four Oscar-nominated performances, this rousing crowd-pleaser will send spirits soaring. Fighting for love, glory and self-respect, Rocky® scores an exultant knockout!

Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone) is a Philadelphia club fighter who seems to be going nowhere. But when a stroke of fate puts him in a ring with the world heavyweight champion, Rocky knows that it's his one shot at the big time – a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to go the distance and come out a winner!

*1976 Actor (Stallone), Actress (Talia Shire), Supporting Actor (Burgess Meredith, Burt Young), Diretor (won), Sound

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I just finished watching this one with my brother. It has been many years since I saw this movie. I actually forgot how much I enjoyed it! Sure there was some slow scenes in it... but even they kept me interested in the story. My mind didn't drift at all during the film. If there was anything I would have liked to have seen differently it is how the film ended. While I understand why it ended the way it did... and even enjoyed the way it ended.... I think I would have preferred it to end the opposite way. But if it did... it would have changed the entire second movie. We enjoyed watching this one so much this morning that as soon as it was over... my brother and I popped in the second film in the series. I highly recommend it!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 11, 2013, 08:18:10 PM »
     Rocky II (1979/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
MGM Home Entertainment, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Director:Sylvester Stallone
Writing:Sylvester Stallone (Writer)
Length:119 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono

Stars:
Sylvester Stallone as Rocky Balboa
Talia Shire as Adrian
Burt Young as Paulie
Carl Weathers as Apollo Creed
Tony Burton as Apollo's Trainer

Plot:
It's the rematch of the century as Rocky Balboa takes on Apollo Creed in this powerful follow-up to one of the most acclaimed movies in film history. Writer-Director-Star Sylvester Stallone succeeds in creating a powerful feel-good movie hailed as "a stunning effort in every way" (Archer Winston, New York Post).

After club fighter Rocky Balboa (Stallone) goes the distance with the world heavyweight champion, boxing fans clamour for a rematch. But Rocky, having sustained massive injuries in the bout, announces his retirement. Though he tries to make a new life for himself, Rocky realizes that he can't escape his true calling. The ring beckons once more, and the "Italian Stallion" must prepare for the fight of his life.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I must say... I enjoyed this one just as much as the first one. Once again there is some slow parts but slow or not... it kept my attention. The final fight scenes were great in this one as well. This is another one that definitely is worth the time put in to watch it. You all probably won't be surprised... that my brother and I decided to continue on to Rocky III.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 11, 2013, 10:04:22 PM »
     Rocky III (1982/United States)
MGM Home Entertainment
Length:99 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:French, Spanish

Stars:
Talia Shire as Adrian
Burt Young as Paulie
Tony Burton as Duke

Plot:
Rocky battles his most powerful adversary yet - the ferocious Clubber Lang (Mr. T.) - in this hard-hitting actioner that comes out swinging with adventure, humor and emotionally charged human drama. For what may be the most exciting and fast-paced film in the series, Sylvester Stallone writes, directs and stars with explosive passion and intensity.

As Rocky Balboa (Stallone) fights his way into the hearts of millions, life couldn't be better. He scores ten consecutive wins, lands lucrative endorsement contracts, and becomes famous throughout the world. But when Clubber Lang K.O.s Rocky in a humiliating defeat, it becomes apparent that the "Italian Stallion" has lost his edge. Considering hanging up his gloves, Rocky receives encouragement from an unlikely ally: his old nemesis, Apollo Creed (Carl Weathers). With Creed's help, Rocky strives to regain the "eye of the tiger" before confronting Lang in a grueling rematch for the world heavyweight championship.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
My brother and I just finished watching this one. We really been on a roll on these films. This is the shortest of all the Rocky films. It is also one that isn't quite as serious... as dramatic as the previous two. While this isn't a bad thing I do prefer the previous two movies over it. I am not saying this is a bad movie... it isn't. Not at all. I still enjoyed it a lot. The biggest downer of this one for me is what they did with the character Mickey. Sure they needed to do it to tell the story the wanted to tell... but I still hated seeing it happen. Mickey was a great character played by one of my favorite actors.... Burgess Meredith. Once again... a movie I definitely recommend.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 11, 2013, 10:35:44 PM »
So I guess the worst Rocky is the next in line...

Of course it's a Canadian point of view as I guess the "USA!!! USA!!! We are #1!!!" had more appeal for you :shrug:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #394 on: February 11, 2013, 10:49:20 PM »
So I guess the worst Rocky is the next in line...

Of course it's a Canadian point of view as I guess the "USA!!! USA!!! We are #1!!!" had more appeal for you :shrug:

I agree with you there. I am always shocked to see people liking Rocky IV. And totally disregarding Rocky V. I think Rocky V is under-appreciated and a hundred times better than Rocky IV. Rocky IV has the "honor" of being one of very few movies, which I gave only one star on these forums.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 11, 2013, 11:13:24 PM »
While I understand what you both are saying... I still always enjoyed part 4 as well. Maybe not quite as much as I do the others... but still found it almost as good as part 3 anyway. I am watching it right now... so will just leave it at that for now.

But I do agree... I also think part 5 was really under-appreciated.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 11, 2013, 11:44:17 PM »
But I do agree... I also think part 5 was really under-appreciated.
It sure is, I've seen it originally when it was shown at the theater and most people didn't like it... guess they expected another caricature like Rocky IV. But for me and my brother it was a great night as it put us in the mood for a couple of boxing rounds after the film :laugh:

My favorite after the original and Tommy Morrison was the reason... too bad his boxing career was cut short as he had great future in front of him :(

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 12, 2013, 12:12:19 AM »
     Rocky IV (1985/United States)
MGM Home Entertainment
Length:91 min.

Stars:
Stu Nahan as Commentator #1
Talia Shire as Adrian
Burt Young as Paulie
Brigitte Nielsen as Ludmilla

Plot:
East meets West when Rocky takes on a vicious Soviet fighter who literally killed his last opponent! Sylvester Stallone writes, directs and stars in this war between nations in which the only battle is fought in a boxing ring.

Rocky (Stallone) proudly holds the world heavyweight championship, but a new challenger has stepped forward: Drago (Dolph Lundgren), a six-foot four, 261-pound fighter who has the backing of the Soviet Union. This time, Rocky's training regimen takes him to icy Siberia, where he prepares for a globally-televised match in the heart of Moscow. But nothing can truly prepare him for what he's about to face - a powerfully charged fight to the finish in which he must defend not only himself, but also the honor of his country!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Despite the obvious over-patriotic stance this film has... both my brother and I enjoyed this one very much. Just as much as we did part 3. I enjoyed the story... and I thought it has a couple good fights in it. I did hate seeing the fate of Apollo Creed. But once again this was needed to tell the story they were trying to tell. We keep losing the characters I like... but yet the character I so do not like (Paulie) remains there till the end of the franchise. I must say... I have been rather disappointed in the DVDs themselves. There is next to nothing on them when it comes to extras. Well... at least we do get the Theatrical Trailer on each disc.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 12, 2013, 12:13:23 AM »
Guys... don't be surprised... after all I am also the one that likes Omen 4!  :tease:
Pete

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #399 on: February 12, 2013, 12:32:19 AM »
Guys... don't be surprised... after all I am also the one that likes Omen 4!  :tease:

There was an "Omen 4"?  :o

:tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 12, 2013, 01:04:58 AM »
Yup... a very good one!  :tease:
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #401 on: February 12, 2013, 04:33:09 AM »
I haven't seen any of the Rocky movies in years.  I did like Rocky IV when I saw it..though I hated what happened to Apollo.

I haven't seen Rocky V or Rocky Balboa. 
(click to show/hide)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 13, 2013, 06:18:17 PM »
     Rocky V (1990/United States)
MGM Home Entertainment
Director:John G. Avildsen
Length:104 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:French, Spanish

Stars:
Sylvester Stallone as Rocky
Talia Shire as Adrian
Burt Young as Paulie
Sage Stallone as Rocky Jr.
Tommy Morrison as Tommy

Plot:
The "Italian Stallion" rediscovers his roots in this exciting, thrill-packed drama that reunites Sylvester Stallone with the Oscar®-winning* director of the original Rocky®.

Upon returning home from his latest triumph, Rocky (Stallone) learns that all of his money has been lost by an unscrupulous financial advisor. To make matters worse, his fight-related injuries force his retirement from the ring. So Rocky, his wife Adrian (Talia Shire) and his son Rocky Jr. (Sage Stallone) move to their old low-rent neighborhood in South Philadelphia. There, the fighter must resolve the deep-rooted resentment held by his son, a bitterness that grows when Rocky trains Tommy Gunn, a young boxer who soon rises to national prominence. When Tommy turns against his mentor and publicly taunts him, Rocky knows he must fight once more.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Looking at other reviews for this one surprises me a bit. This one is really an under-appreciated film. One that I enjoyed very much. It is my favorite since the first two. It is one that my brother and I disagree on... as this is his least favorite of the series. not that he didn't like it... he said he did very much... it is just his least favorite. I really liked how this one brings us back to where it all started. I also liked that they took the final fight out of the ring for this one... making it a street fight. Once again I want to say how I am disappointed in the extras for this set. No real extras included.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 13, 2013, 08:18:50 PM »
     Rocky Balboa (2006/United States)
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Writing:Sylvester Stallone (Original Characters By), Sylvester Stallone (Writer)
Length:102 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: DTS: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Burt Young as Paulie
Antonio Tarver as Mason "The Line" Dixon
Geraldine Hughes as Marie
Milo Ventimiglia as Robert Jr.
Tony Burton as Duke

Plot:
When he loses a highly publicized virtual boxing match to ex-champ ROCKY BALBOA (Sylvester Stallone), reigning heavyweight titleholder Mason Dixon (Antonio Tarver) retaliates by challenging the Italian Stallion to a nationally televised, 10-round exhibition bout. To the surprise of his son (Milo Ventimiglia, TV's "Heroes") and friends, Rocky agrees to come out of retirement and face an opponent who's faster, stronger and thirty years his junior. With the odds stacked firmly against him, Rocky takes on Dixon in what will become the greatest fight in boxing history, a hard-hitting, action-packed battle of the ages!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Brother and I just finished off this one... which of course finishes of the Rocky franchise. While I don't think it was as good as the previous film... it is one I enjoyed every moment of. Even though I hated what they did with the Adrian character, I do understand the reason behind it. Though it is still a little aggravating to see 3 of my favorite characters go... yet a character like Paulie is there till the very end. Just like all the previous movies... I definitely recommend seeing this one. And if you haven't seen the Rocky films in year like I haven't you should definitely revisit the franchise! They are all well worth watching!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #404 on: February 14, 2013, 04:47:40 AM »
Paulie still around...somehow that doesn't surprise me.  I didn't exactly dislike him..but I wouldn't have minded if he was gone instead of some of the others.

Rocky III was the first of the Rocky movies that I saw.  I can't remember how old I was, but it really upset me when Mickey died..even without knowing the full history between him and Rocky. 

I just realized..I saw several sad movies when I was young for some reason..or at least what I thought was sad...  maybe that's why I try to avoid sad stuff now if possible.  And I still get very emotional at times.