Author Topic: What Movies I Been Watching  (Read 467479 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: What Movies I Been Watching
« Reply #210 on: December 14, 2011, 01:18:12 AM »
     Green Lantern (2011/United States)

Warner Home Video
Director:Martin Campbell
Writing:Greg Berlanti (Screenwriter), Michael Green (Screenwriter), Marc Guggenheim (Screenwriter), Michael Goldenberg (Screenwriter)
Length:114 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Intense Sequences of Sci-Fi Violence and Action
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan/Green Lantern
Blake Lively as Carol Ferris
Peter Sarsgaard as Hector Hammond
Mark Strong as Sinestro
Tim Robbins as Hammond
Jay O. Sanders as Carl Ferris

Plot:
In a universe as vast as it is mysterious,an elite force of protectors for peace and justice has existed for centuries. They are the GREEN LANTERN CORPS. When a new enemy called PARALLAX threatens to destroy the universe, their fate and the fate of Earth lie in the hands of the Corps' newest recruit, the first human ever selected: HAL JORDAN (Ryan Reynolds). Bringing the popular super hero to the big screen for the first time, Green Lantern also stars Blake Lively (Gossip Girl), Peter Sarsgaard (Orphan), Mark Strong (Sherlock Holmes), Academy Award® nominee Angela Bassett* and Academy Award® winner Tim Robbins**.

*1993: Best Actress in a leading role for What's Love Got to Do with It?
**2003: Best Actor in a Supporting Role for Mystic River.

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers

My Thoughts:
I have been excited about watching this movie every since I first heard it was being made... as I always liked Green Lantern. And when I heard that Ryan Reynolds was playing the part of Green Lantern I wanted to see it all the more... as I been a fan of his for quite a while now. I bought this movie from a seller on Amazon Marketplace. He didn't advertise it was a rental version though. While this is a bit disappointing... I got it so cheap that it didn't bother me too much.

As I said... I always enjoyed Green Lantern. But not from the comics... never read any of his comics. But I grew up watching him on different cartoons. So I can't say how closely this movie follows the comics. I must say... I enjoyed this movie very much. Sure... it is CGI galore... but I think you pretty much have to expect that to tell this story. And I personally think it looked great. The storyline is of course the origin story. The one thing I didn't care for is the fact that Sinestro isn't the main villain in this movie. Going by the short clip in the middle of the end credits... they are saving that storyline for the next movie. A movie I hope gets made... and hope they keep Ryan Reynolds in the lead. Anyway... as I said... I enjoyed every minute of it. Lots of fun to watch... lots of action. A movie that can be fun for the whole family to watch. Definitely recommended!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #211 on: December 14, 2011, 11:36:01 AM »
I still haven't seen this, but I'm afraid it was generally considered to be weak and flopped, so a sequel might be a long way off...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 14, 2011, 11:39:32 AM »
Yeah... that is how it seems anyway. Looks like for the most part people wasn't very impressed.
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #213 on: December 17, 2011, 05:52:01 AM »
I liked Green Lantern when I saw it.  Though I get that some of the comic book fans don't like some of the changes and things.  I'd see a sequel too.  I think what they are setting up for the sequel - if it gets made - will be a stronger story.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 23, 2011, 07:10:12 PM »
     Police Academy (1984/United States)

Warner Home Video
Director:Hugh Wilson
Writing:Neal Israel (Screenwriter), Pat Proft (Screenwriter), Hugh Wilson (Screenwriter), Neal Israel (Story By), Pat Proft (Story By)
Length:96 min.
Rating:R
Video:Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono

Stars:
Steve Guttenberg as Carey Mahoney
Kim Cattrall as Karen Thompson
G. W. Bailey as Lt. Harris
Bubba Smith as Moses Hightower
Donovan Scott as Leslie Barbara
George Gaynes as Commandant Lassard

Plot:
'Police Academy' salutes the men, women and borderline cases who protect the public from people very much like themselves. A comic success story over a decade, it begat six sequels and both animated and live-action TV series.

New recruits include sound-effects wiz Larvelle Jones (Michael Winslow), florist Moses Hightower (Bubba Smith), shy Laverne Hooks (Marion Ramsey) and gun buff Eugene Tackleberry (David Graf). Instructors Harris (G.W. Bailey) and Callahan (Leslie Easterbrook) aim to wash these turkeys out before they graduate. As directed by Hugh Wilson (The First Wives Club), they and stars Steve Guttenberg and Kim Cattrall make some police 'farce'.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Production Notes

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I haven't seen in many years... I was probably still a teen the last time I saw it. Sure... it is definitely a silly movie. But I still had a lot of fun watching it. Even if some of it is a bit dated now. And I found I still get a kick out of Michael Winslow and all the sound effects he makes. Definitely making him one of my favorite characters in the movie. I can see myself watching this movie over and over again... but only if I am in the mood for something silly. I must admit... it took me a bit to even recognize Kim Cattrall. I am just too used to seeing her as a blonde... looking the way she does in the series Sex in the City. At least to me... she looked totally different when she was younger.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 23, 2011, 11:52:00 PM »
    Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment (1985/United States)

Director:Jerry Paris
Writing:Neal Israel (Original Characters By), Pat Proft (Original Characters By), Barry Blaustein (Writer), David Sheffield (Writer)
Length:87 min.
Rating:PG-13
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono

Stars:
Steve Guttenberg as Carey Mahoney
Bubba Smith as Hightower
David Graf as Tackleberry
Michael Winslow as Larvell Jones
Bruce Mahler as Doug Fackler
Marion Ramsey as Laverne Hooks

Plot:
An anti-social nut job and his leathered band of pranksters are on the prowl, spray-painting the town red and emptying the pockets of anyone sharing the sidewalk. In the wake of this crime wave, you might wonder where the educational system went wrong. But then again, consider the Police Academy.

For when the newly graduated misfits in blue tangle with these pinheaded punkers in 'Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment', the result is an open-and-shut case of nonstop hilarity. Steve Guttenberg, George Gaynes and other 'Police Academy' originals return to the roll call, facing the formidable Bobcat Goldthwait in the tailor-made role of the wacked-out gangleader. It's a riot – a laugh-riot – in the streets!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Once again... it has been many years since I seen this (or any) Police Academy movie. This second movie is more of the same when it comes to the style. Storyline wise it goes to their next logical step. Following them on their first job. I liked the addition of both Bob Goldthwait and Howard Hesseman to the cast. There is plenty of laughs in this one as well. It is pretty much on par with the first one.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #216 on: December 24, 2011, 09:13:57 AM »
The Police Academy sequels get a bit of a raw deal IMO. Sure, they ARE rubbish, but enjoyable "can't look away" rubbish (well 2-4 at least).
1 - 3.5/5
2 - 3/5
3 - 2.5/5
4 - 2.5/5
5 - 2/5
6 - 2/5
7 - 1/5

Looking at imdb, an 8th is on the way from New Line Cinema in 2012:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1332579/

No real info though other than filming starts in February.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 31, 2011, 05:37:45 PM »
     Fertile Ground: After Dark Originals (2010/United States)

Lions Gate Films
Director:Adam Gierasch
Writing:Adam Gierasch (Writer), Jace Anderson (Writer)
Length:95 min.
Rating:Rated R : Some Bloody Violence, Sexuality, Nudity and Language
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Leisha Hailey as Emily Weaver
Gale Harold as Nate Weaver/William Weaver
Chelcie Ross as Avery
Jonell Kennedy as Brittany
Stephanie Brown as Risa
Sigal Diamant as Sarah

Plot:
Emily and Nate Weaver leave the city for the rural comfort of Nate's ancestral home in the country. Once there, Emily is plagued by horrifying visions and haunted by the ghosts inhabiting their isolated new home. When Nate's behavior undergoes a strange and fearful metamorphosis, Emily fears she might be the latest target in a murderous tradition.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Storyboard Comparisons
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This movie stars Leisha Hailey... which some of you may know from the Showtime series The L Word. It isn't a bad movie... I did enjoy watching it. But that being said it isn't what I would call very scary or all that original. As most of what I seen in this movie I have seen before. Some of which countless times. Despite all that... I did enjoy the story and I did like the cast involved. So over-all I think it was a good way to waste an hour and a half. I think the movie is worth checking out... just don't go into it expecting too much. No more then an average ghost story at best.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 06, 2012, 12:01:27 PM »
     Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam (2010/United States)

Warner Home Video
Director:Joaquim Dos Santos
Writing:Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Adam: Michael Jelenic (Writer), Jerry Siegel (Original Characters By), Joe Shuster (Original Characters By), C. C. Beck (Original Characters By), Bill Parker (Original Characters By) The Spectre: Steve Niles (Writer) Green Arrow: Greg Weisman (Writer) Jonah Hex: Joe R. Lansdale (Screenwriter), Justin Gray (Story By), Jimmy Palmiotti (Story By), Phil Noto (Story By)
Length:63 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Violence and Some Sexual Content
Video:Widescreen
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Adam
Zach Callison as Billy Batson
James Garner as Shazam
Josh Keaton as Punk
Danica McKellar as Sally
George Newbern as Superman/Clark Kent

The Spectre
Gary Cole as Jim Corrigan/The Spectre
Alyssa Milano as Aimee Brenner
Jeff Bennett as Foster Brenner/Peter McCoy/Flemming
Rob Paulsen as Drew Flynn/Lt. Brice/Deandre
Jon Polito as Police Captain

Green Arrow
Neil McDonough as Green Arrow/Oliver Queen
Malcolm McDowell as Merlyn the Magnificent
Steve Blum as Count Vertigo
Grey DeLisle as Black Canary
John Di Maggio as Merc #1
Ariel Winter as Princess Perdita

Jonah Hex
Thomas Jane as Jonah Hex
Linda Hamilton as Madame Lorraine
Jason Marsden as Young Man and Bartender
Michael Rooker as Red Doc
Michelle Trachtenberg as Bar Girl

Plot:
Chosen by the wizard Shazam! to be the world's protector, young Billy Batson becomes the World's Mightiest Mortal. Battling alongside Superman against the nefarious Black Adam, Billy quickly discovers the challenge that all Super Heroes ultimately face – is he fighting for justice? – in this brand-new extra-length short. Four more favorite DC Comics Super Heroes – Jonah Hex, Green Arrow, Black Canary and The Spectre – face challenges of their own in this All-New Collection.

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • 4 Bonus Cartoons

My Thoughts:
This is a collection of four superhero animated shorts... the Superman/Shazam! one being the headliner of the set. Out of these four shorts I only seen one before. That being The Spectre which was on the DVD release for Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths. I do also have Jonah Hex on the release for Batman: Under the Red Hood... but I haven't watched that DVD yet. And promised I would save it for this weekend because Brittany don't want me to watch that one without her. While the other three has been on other animated movie releases... they are extended versions on this release.

Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Adam
As I said... this short is the headliner of the set. Running about 24 minutes. It was good to see Captain Marvel in something again... as he has been a childhood favorite of mine from the '70s TV series that was coupled with The Secrets of Isis. Unfortunately there is little choices for this character on DVD. I do also have the old movie serial... and a single episode DVD of the series from the '70s I mentioned.... which you can't even buy it was a bonus disc in another TV Show set... I forget which but probably The Secrets of Isis: The Complete Series. This short gives us another origin story for Captain Marvel. And it has the youngest Billy Batson I ever seen. But I enjoyed it all the same. This short alone was worth the price I paid for the DVD (Approx. $6).

The Spectre
This short clocks in at 13 minutes. Before seeing this short I was completely unfamiliar with The Spectre. But I enjoyed the character quite a bit. I also was pleasantly surprised that this short has 2 big names in it with Gary Cole and Alyssa Milano. I especially enjoyed the final kill of the short. Definitely worth watching... but I liked the first short a little better. Unlike the first one... this short is more story based then action based. Not that it is lacking in action, but the first was almost all action.

Green Arrow
Green Arrow runs for 12 minutes. Maybe it is because I am much more familiar with the character... but I enjoyed this one almost as much as I did Superman/Shazam! It is also almost all pure action much like the first.

Jonah Hex
The running time for this one is 13 minutes. For this one we of course go to the old west. This is the first time I saw anything with Jonah Hex... and I enjoyed it very much. I really liked the style of the character. And must admit this short makes me curios about the live action movie that is out. This short has a couple more familiar names in Linda Hamilton and Michelle Trachtenberg.

Over-All Thoughts:
I really enjoyed this disc as a whole. My favorite short on the disc remains Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam. My least favorite being The Spectre... though that one is still enjoyable as well. I thought it was a good touch to add episodes from animated series where the stars on the shorts were guests on the episodes. For Jonah Hex we got the episode Showdown from Batman: The Animated Series/ For The Spectre we got The Chill of the Night from Batman: The Brave and the Bold. For Green Arrow we got Initiation from Justice League Unlimited and for Shazam! we got Clash also from Justice League Unlimited. The only other extra on the disc is a trailer for the show Batman: The Brave and the Bold. I would say if you are a fan of the animated superhero releases you would enjoy this collection of shorts as well. I would recommend it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 06, 2012, 07:36:44 PM »
     Batman: Year One: Two-Disc Special Edition (2011/United States)

Warner Home Video
Director:Sam Liu, Lauren Montgomery
Writing:Tab Murphy (Writer)
Length:64 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Violence and Some Sexual Material
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Thai: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Bryan Cranston as Jim Gordon
Benjamin McKenzie as Bruce Wayne/Batman
Eliza Dushku as Selina Kyle/Catwoman
Jon Polito as Commissioner Loeb
Alex Rocco as Falcone
Katee Sackhoff as Detective Essen

Plot:
When Gotham City is in desperate need of heroes, two men take a stand for justice... but on opposite sides. Bruce Wayne returns home after years abroad to become a crime fighter, just as honest cop Lt. James Gordon moves to Gotham and finds corruption at every level. When Bruce becomes the masked vigilante Batman, the city explodes as his new nemesis Catwoman, the mob and Gordon all close in! Don't miss this thrilling DC Universe Animated Original Movie based on the groundbreaking story by Frank Miller and featuring three-time Emmy Award winner Bryan Cranston, Ben McKenzie, Katee Sackhoff, Eliza Dushku and Alex Rocco in its stellar voice cast. Experience a bold and dynamic vision of the Dark Knight's first year in action and the start of his enduring friendship with Jim Gordon.

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • 2 Episodes of Batman: The Animated Series
  • Catwoman Short

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this one... though not as much as I did most of the other Batman animated films. I definitely liked it more then Batman: Gotham Knight. It is a pretty good retelling of the origin story. Though it has a feel and look to it that I am really not used to or know how to explain it. I was also scratching my head a bit because they made Commissioner Gordon's (or at the time of this story Lt. Gordon) wife's name Barbara. We all know that Barbara Gordon becomes Batgirl... but she was always Commissioner Gordon's niece or daughter before. Then it was mentioned in the film that they were going to have a baby. So I thought OK this makes some sense now... they will have a girl and will name her after her mother. But nope... they have a boy. I was also a little put off by the voice for Bruce Wayne/Batman... but I got used to it after a little time. I did like Eliza Dushku for Catwoman though. Over-all I would say a good film... but definitely not great.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #220 on: January 06, 2012, 10:18:51 PM »
Year One is one of the most successful and acclaimed comics of all time. It was Frank Miller's writing that redefined who Batman was. But regardless of how brilliant it is, one thing I don't like about American comics is their loose approach to continuity and silly, huge storylines that incorporate multiple comic characters which are actually just excuses to "reboot" characters. Read Wikipedia and you get the idea of Gordon's history and the Barbara's in his life.

See this link and you'll note different descriptions for "pre Crisis" and "post Crisis" Gordon. Crisis was one of DC's reboots. To be fair, Year One only twists the characters history and you wasn't far wrong. Barbara was the name of his first wife, with whom he has a son. He later divorces her and marries Sarah. They have a daughter named Barbara! I think some histories have him adopting Barbara, whose parents are killed or something, but basically, there are two!  :stars:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Gordon_%28comics%29

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #221 on: January 07, 2012, 04:49:48 AM »
I was going to say that I thought I remembered Gordon having a son in addition to Barbara. 

I thought I read in something that the daughter Barbara was named after his wife.   :hmmmm:  Or maybe I just thought I read that somewhere.  Who knows. lol

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 12, 2012, 10:27:17 PM »
     Batman: Under The Red Hood: Two-Disc Special Edition (2010/United States)

Warner Home Video
Director:Brandon Vietti
Writing:Judd Winick (Writer), Bob Kane (Original Characters By)
Length:76 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Violent Content and Some Drug References
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Bruce Greenwood as Batman / Bruce Wayne
Jensen Ackles as Red Hood
John DiMaggio as Joker
Neil Patrick Harris as Nightwing
Jason Isaacs as Ra's Al Ghul
Wade Williams as Black Mask

Plot:
In Batman: Under the Red Hood, Batman faces his ultimate challenge as the mysterious Red Hood takes Gotham City by firestorm. One part vigilante, one part criminal kingpin, Red Hood begins cleaning up Gotham with the efficiency of Batman, but without following the same ethical code. Killing is an option. And when The Joker falls in the balance between the two, hard truths are revealed and old wounds are reopened. With a fantastic voice cast headed by Bruce Greenwood, Jensen Ackles and Neil Patrick Harris, this dazzling DC Universe Original Animated Movie twists and turns through action-packed battles and exciting surprises for a thrill ride you can't miss!

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • 2 Episodes of Batman: The Animated Series
  • Jonah Hex Short

My Thoughts:
Finally got around to watching this one. I really enjoyed it. I admit that I was a little concerned when I saw a new name voicing Batman... where I am so used to Kevin Conroy doing the voice for him. But this guy did a fine job. I also liked that Jason Ackles does the voice for The Red Hood in this one. He of course plays one of he Winchester brothers in Supernatural. If there is one character I didn't care for in this film.... it would have to be the way they did The Joker. I think the main thing I didn't like about him was the voice. It was like it was almost too normal if that makes any sense. The storyline in this film is very good. It easily kept my interest from beginning to the end. I can easily see myself enjoying this one again.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 15, 2012, 12:09:27 AM »
     Superman/Batman: Apocalypse: Two-Disc Special Edition (2010/United States)

Warner Home Video
Length:78 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Violence and Brief Sensuality
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Andre Braugher as Darkseid
Kevin Conroy as Batman
Tim Daly as Superman
Susan Eisenberg as Wonder Woman
Summer Glau as Kara
Julianne Grossman as Big Barda

Plot:
A mysterious spaceship from Planet Krypton crashes on Earth with a beautiful girl inside, and everyone want to meet the new kid. Superman embraces the connection to his past, Batman suspects a traitor, Wonder Woman sense a kindred spirit, and Darkseid desires a champion. But this feisty teen has her own ideas, none of which include a secret identity, a cape or heroics. It will take a life or death battle with Darkseid to uncover her true purpose on Earth. A dynamic voice cast - Kevin Conroy, Tim Daly, Andre Braugher and Summer Glau - highlights this DC Universe Animated Original Movie introducing the world to Supergirl!

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • 2 Eps. of Superman: The Animated Series
  • Green Arrow Short

My Thoughts:
This one I enjoyed very much. Probably the best animated Super Hero movie I watched in a while. It has a very good story that kept me glued to the set from beginning to the end. There is also enough action in it to satisfy anyone. I loved the way the animation was done... and in my opinion the voices were right on as well. If I have any complaint what so ever... it would be the fact that I prefer the version of Wonder Woman that can't fly! But after watching a few animated movies where she does fly now... I am even starting to get used to that. But I think my favorite thing about this movie is that you get to a certain spot in this movie and you figure it is all but over now... but guess again!... as you get several more action-packed minutes in a final unexpected fight. I may have to rank this one as one of my favorite animated super hero movies! Added to all this... this 2-disc special edition DVD has a very nice selection of extras... including a featurette on Kara/Supergirl that I am getting ready to watch next. This is definitely one I feel more then comfortable recommending.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 15, 2012, 12:28:43 AM »
Aren't you suppose to watch unwatched horror movie this weekend :whistle: