Author Topic: What Movies I Been Watching  (Read 467474 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: What Movies I Been Watching
« Reply #180 on: June 03, 2011, 03:56:40 PM »
     Showtime: Widescreen Edition (2002/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Warner Home Video
Director:Tom Dey
Writing:Jorge Saralegui (Story By), Keith Sharon (Screenwriter), Alfred Gough (Screenwriter), Miles Millar (Screenwriter)
Length:95 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Robert De Niro as Mitch Preston
Rachel Harris as Teacher
Eddie Murphy as Trey Sellars
Zaid Farid as Captain (Audition)
Alex Borstein as Casting Director
Holly Mandel as Producer

Plot:
Showtime is fun time, an action/comedy tale of mismatched LAPD partners (Robert De Niro and Eddie Murphy) directed by Tom Dey (Shanghai Noon). De Niro, wearing a slow-burn scowl like a badge, plays Mitch, a cop's cop forced by his superiors to be the focus of a reality-TV series. Murphy plays Trey, a camera-ready officer more eager to hit his mark than hit the streets. Backed by a ratings-obsessed producer (Rene Russo) and coached in the finer points of TV copdom by a veteran star (William Shatner, spoofing his T.J. Hooker), Mitch and Trey become America's favorite buddy cops. But reel life soon gives way to the real. A brutal crimelord must be stopped–and that's where the shrapnel hits the fan

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Production Notes
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I have seen before... but not since getting the DVD recently. It is the first time I seen it since it originally came out. I did buy a DVD used from a local video store before it went out of business... but unfortunately the copy that I bought was messed up pretty bad and you could barely watch the disc. But thankfully a friend had an extra copy they could send me to replace it with.

Before watching Showtime I looked up some reviews to see what other people were saying about this one. It quickly became apparent that it isn't much liked. Which I just don't understand. As I really did enjoy every minute of it. Sure it isn't an award winning... thought provoking epic. But in my opinion it does what it sets out to do... and does it well. It entertains. Sometimes just a fun... leave your brain at the door... popcorn flick is all you need. And Showtime is just that. This is of course one of those buddy cop movies with lots of action and a good amount of laughs. I thought DeNiro and Murphy made a great team. I have always liked both actors. Murphy is funny as always... and DeNiro is as enjoyable as always. Being able to do comedy as well as he can the serious work. I think if you are looking for just a fun way to escape real life for 90 minutes this is a good way to do so.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 03, 2011, 09:33:16 PM »
     Rush Hour 3 (2007/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

New Line Home Entertainment
Director:Brett Ratner
Writing:Ross LaManna (Original Characters By), Jeff Nathanson (Writer)
Length:91 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital EX: 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Chris Tucker as Carter
Jackie Chan as Lee
Max von Sydow as Reynard
Hiroyuki Sanada as Kenji
Yvan Attal as George
Youki Kudoh as Dragon Lady

Plot:
When a Chinese criminal mastermind flees to Paris, there's only one culture-clashed, crime-fighting duo for the job. Ready to raise hell in the city of lights, Chief Inspector Lee (Chan) and Detective Carter (Tucker) instead get caught in an explosive battle between the French police, the Triad gang and two gorgeous femmes fatales! With everybody kung fu fighting to the top of the Eiffel Tower, this one-two punch of hilarious action doesn't let up until the final heart-stopping au revoir!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
After the last movie I felt like another fun buddy cop movie. I have seen and enjoyed the first 2 movies in this series... but this is the first time I got the chance to see this one. But it is definitely another one I really enjoyed. Has a lot of laughs in it. I would say if you liked the first couple of movies you will like this one as well. Though I would warn that this movie is basically just more of the same... just at a different location.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 07, 2011, 02:50:35 AM »
     Vampires Suck: Extended Bite Me Edition (2010/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Director:Jason Friedberg, Aaron Seltzer
Writing:Jason Friedberg (Writer), Aaron Seltzer (Writer)
Length:82 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Jenn Proske as Becca Crane
Matt Lanter as Edward Sullen
Diedrich Bader as Frank Crane
Chris Riggi as Jacob White
Ken Jeong as Daro
Anneliese Van Der Pol as Jennifer

Plot:
Sink your teeth into the hysterically funny spoof VAMPIRES SUCK Extended BITE ME Edition with more outrageous humor and bloody fun! Becca, an angst-ridden teenager at a new high school, finds herself torn between two supernatural suitors; a moody vampire and an extremely hairy werewolf. From two of the comedy masterminds that wrote Scary Movie and costarring Ken Jeong (The Hangover), this laugh-out-loud comedy will leave you howling for more!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:
This is a movie my brother rented from Netflix. And with my love of anything vampires I had to check it out before he sent it back. I am not what you would call a big Twilight fan. But I did see the first movie. And while it wasn't what I would call great... it entertained me. Knowing that this movie is a parody of mostly of the Twilight movies... I went into this one not expecting all that much. But with my curiosity peaked. I find that normally most spoofs tend to go too far on the stupid... immature jokes. And this one does have that as well. But I found it to be better then some I have seen out there. There is some scenes here that I literally laughed out loud on. But it could have been a lot better. Now... would I add this to my collection? Well... it isn't one I will be looking forward to adding. But if I found it cheap enough... say $5 and under... then I would probably pick it up.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 07, 2011, 03:25:09 AM »
I was almost tempted to get this one... I think I tried to make Marie bought it first by PM, completly forgot it since she never bought it :whistle:

Of course I would just buy it to complete my collection since I already bought all their previous "films" for a crappy marathon a couple of year ago here... Maybe if I find it used for less than 2$ I will get it :whistle:

2 and a half stars looks better than what their "movies" usually score :shrug:

Edit
I order it used for 2.48$ (can you believe Amazon Canada sell it new for 31.77$ :laugh:)
If I don't like it that will be your fault Pete >:(
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 03:48:57 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #184 on: June 07, 2011, 05:35:17 AM »
I was almost tempted to get this one... I think I tried to make Marie bought it first by PM, completly forgot it since she never bought it :whistle:

Of course I would just buy it to complete my collection since I already bought all their previous "films" for a crappy marathon a couple of year ago here... Maybe if I find it used for less than 2$ I will get it :whistle:

2 and a half stars looks better than what their "movies" usually score :shrug:

Edit
I order it used for 2.48$ (can you believe Amazon Canada sell it new for 31.77$ :laugh:)
If I don't like it that will be your fault Pete >:(
(click to show/hide)

You tried to get me to go see it in the theater.  :lol
I haven't been tempted by it.  If it turns up on HBO or something I'll probably watch it..just so I can rip it apart in a review. 

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 07, 2011, 08:13:34 AM »
It's better than I tought... at least the popcorn would have been good :laugh:

I will probably wait untill the october marathon for watching it... I don't thing it will be that hard to wait to listen that sucker ;D

I don't know why but I imagine Jon scratching his head because I've spend money again on a new movie knowing already that it's a piece of dog poo :laugh:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 08:20:52 AM by Jimmy »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 09, 2011, 12:32:11 PM »
It's the weekend once again... and I am still in this long--going slump where I haven't wanted to watch movies. that much. So instead of working on a marathon thread... I will just post whatever I am able to fit in here this weekend.

I am kinda hoping the package Roger sent me  will get here today so I can fit in one from that package this weekend anyway.
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #187 on: July 09, 2011, 03:12:26 PM »
See any dust trails on the horizon from an approaching wagon train of westerns?  ::)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 09, 2011, 03:28:04 PM »
Not yet Roger... the Wagon Train seems to be stalled on the other side of Maryland. Guess the horses are tired. been there since early yesterday morning!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 09, 2011, 05:22:54 PM »
     Problem Child Tantrum Pack: The Franchise Collection (1990/United States)

Director:Dennis Dugan, Brian Levant
Writing:
Length:171 min.
Rating:PG-13
Video:Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Problem Child:
John Ritter as Ben
Jack Warden as Big Ben
Michael Oliver as Junior
Gilbert Gottfried as Mr. Peabody
Amy Yasbeck as Flo

Problem Child 2
John Ritter as Ben Healy
Michael Oliver as Junior Healy
Jack Warden as "Big" Ben Healy
Laraine Newman as Lawanda Dumore
Amy Yasbeck as Annie Young

Plot:
When seven-year-old Junior comes into their lives, the Healys hope he will brighten their days. But Junior is more mischievous than they could have imagined as he turns ordinary days into full-scale comic nightmares. And the fun only continues when he moves to a new neighborhood and meets an equally mischievous little girl. It's twice the destruction and twice the fun!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I felt like something fun... in a silly way this morning. I remember seeing these movies when they were first released and remember enjoying them at the time so thought I would throw this disc in.

Problem Child:
While this one still had some decent chuckles in it... it wasn't quite as good as I remembered it being at the time it first came out. But none the less... still fun. The whole time while watching this movie the guy playing "The Bow Tie Killer" looked very familiar to me... but I just couldn't put my finger on it. When I looked it up I saw he was played by Michael Richards (Kramer on Seinfeld). I don't know why I didn't see it instantly... because once I saw his name it seemed obvious. Anyway,,, as I said... a fun show. But going by memory I was expecting a bit more.

Problem Child 2:
Some reason going into this one I really didn't remember much of it at all.  I do know I seen it before though. Not bad... but basically just more of the same. Maybe a little heavier on the silly side then the first one is. And it was kinda fun to see a little girl that is just as much trouble as Junior is.

Over-All DVD Release:
This release has the two movies on one single sided DVD. So the first thing you get when you pop in this DVD is a menu to pick which movie you want to watch. Unfortunately the DVD is Pan & Scan and the only extras are the trailers. The DVD release could have been done much better. Preferably each movie on it's own disc with extras and in it's OAR. But oh well... all you can get is what is released. At least the movies are entertaining. And I can't complain... after all... this was a gift.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 10, 2011, 03:27:17 AM »
See any dust trails on the horizon from an approaching wagon train of westerns?  ::)

Not yet Roger... the Wagon Train seems to be stalled on the other side of Maryland. Guess the horses are tired. been there since early yesterday morning!
:hysterical:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 14, 2011, 06:32:42 PM »
     The Long Riders: Western Legends (1980/United States)

MGM Home Entertainment
Director:Walter Hill
Writing:Bill Bryden (Writer), Steven Phillip Smith (Writer), Stacy Keach (Writer), James Keach (Writer)
Length:99 min.
Rating:R
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:French, Spanish

Stars:
David Carradine as Cole Younger
Keith Carradine as Jim Younger
Robert Carradine as Bob Younger
James Keach as Jesse James
Stacy Keach as Frank James
Dennis Quaid as Ed Miller

Plot:
Jesse James and his gang of outlaws ride again in this "extraordinary" (Los Angeles Herald-Examiner) western that pulsates with hard-driving action and electrifying drama. Four sets of acclaimed actor brothers – Dennis and Randy Quaid, Stacy and James Keach, Christopher and Nicholas Guest and Keith, Robert and David Carradine – each depict real-life siblings in emotionally charged portrayals of the Old West's legendary bandits.

The notorious James-Younger gang is the most famous group of outlaws in the country, robbing banks, trains and stagecoaches with a sense of daring that makes them folk heroes throughout the land. But when the mighty Pinkerton detective agency swears to track them down, these criminals must face an awesome enemy that will stop at nothing to see them behind bars...or dead! Only through the strength of their loyalty and blood ties can the outlaws hope to survive the brutal pursuits, unexpected betrayals and blistering showdowns that mark the end of their dangerous ride.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is one of several Westerns I just recently got in a package of free DVDs. I got a kick out of the gimmick they used on this movie. Having real life brothers playing the various brother characters. I enjoyed this movie quite a bit. It has a good mixture of action as well as storytelling. There were a few scenes that are slower then I normally care for... but this didn't take away from the story for me at all. I would have liked to seen a few more extras on this release... as it only has the theatrical trailer. But the movie is definitely worth it all the same.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #192 on: July 15, 2011, 02:59:54 AM »
I saw this movie I a theatre when it first came out.  I was in my prime movie-going years back then.  This and Silverado are probably my favorite westerns of the eighties.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 29, 2011, 05:54:30 PM »
     Just Go With It (2011/United States)

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Director:Dennis Dugan
Writing:Allan Loeb (Screenwriter), Timothy Dowling (Screenwriter)
Length:116 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Adam Sandler as Danny
Jennifer Aniston as Katherine
Nicole Kidman as Devlin Adams
Nick Swardson as Eddie
Brooklyn Decker as Palmer
Bailee Madison as Maggie

Plot:
Danny Maccabee (Adam Sandler) meets the girl of his dreams (Brooklyn Decker) but has to enlist his loyal assistant Katherine (Jennifer Aniston) to pretend to be his soon-to-be ex-wife in order to cover up a careless lie. When more lies backfire, Katherine's kids become involved, and everyone keads off to Hawaii for a ridiculous, out-of-control weekend that tests the limits of how far we'll go for love.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers

My Thoughts:
This is a DVD that my brother got off Netflix. I have seen the commercial for it... and was a bit curios about checking out the movie. Some reason I didn't realize from the commercial that Nicole Kidman is in this movie. But I she was only in the scenes where they are in Hawaii... so she may not have even been in the trailer. I really don't remember. This turned out to be a right good romantic comedy... I definitely enjoyed it. Even though I seen the ending coming a mile a way. But watching them get to that point was entertaining. Definitely worth checking out... I can see myself adding this one to my collection at some point.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 29, 2011, 08:15:56 PM »
     Dragon Wars: D-War (2007/South Korea)

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Director:Hyung Rae Shim
Writing:Hyung Rae Shim (Writer)
Length:90 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:Chinese, English, French, Korean, Spanish

Stars:
Jason Behr as Ethan Kendrick
Amanda Brooks as Sarah
Robert Forster as Jack
Craig Robinson as Bruce
Aimee Garcia as Brandy
Chris Mulkey as Agent Frank Pinsky

Plot:
Meet Buraki, the vicious, 200-meter-long Imoogi serpent from ancient Korea. His army includes giant lizards with missile launchers, flying dragons, soldiers bred for evil and mega-intelligent dinosaurs. Together, they will destroy our cities unless reincarnated warriors Ethan and Sarah can outrun them and resurrect the Good Imoogi, Buraki's ancient nemesis. DRAGON WARS reveals every last detail of Earth's greatest battle—a war you'll only believe when you see it for yourself.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Storyboard Comparisons
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is one was in a box of DVDs that a friend had given me. It is one of those bad Sci-Fi Channel movies that they are always airing. So I went into this one with very low expectations... and it is pretty much what you would expect.  All the serpents, dragons and other creatures that they created with CGI was decent enough for the budget I imagine they had to work with (maybe the higher end of a low budget)... so weren't the greatest... but with the subject matter they looked pretty cool. With that being said... it did entertain me. I don't know... I guess I just like a good bad movie every so often. And this one qualified. The movie had Jason Behr in it. If that name sounds familiar to you... it is probably because he was one of the stars of the TV Series Roswell. The story left a bit to be desired as well of course. But over-all a decent way to waste an hour and a half... but at the same time it is something that you really have to be in the mood to watch.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete