Author Topic: What Movies I Been Watching  (Read 470970 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: What Movies I Been Watching
« Reply #150 on: November 28, 2010, 01:23:58 AM »

Title: National Lampoon's European Vacation
Year: 1985
Director: Amy Heckerling
Rating: PG-13
Length: 94 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Chevy Chase
Beverly D'Angelo
Dana Hill
Jason Lively

Plot:
The first time the Griswalds took a trip – in National Lampoon's Vacation – moviegoers everywhere went along for the ride…and went bonkers! Now they're into even zanier sightseeing in National Lampoon's European Vacation, directed by Amy Heckerling (Clueless, Fast Times at Ridgemont High).

Chevy Chase and Beverly D'Angelo return as Clark and Ellen, winners of a European tour on which their teenagers Rusty (Jason Lively) and Audrey (Dana Hill) join them. Deluxe accomodations…aren't. Clark tries left-sided English driving, leaving Stonehenge unhinged. In Bavaria a slap-dancing polka turns into a slaphappy free-for-all. It's holiday road havoc for the Griswalds – and your high road to hilarity!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This one is pretty good... but I definitely like the first one better. But if you like the first one... this one is definitely worth having in your collection as well. I think part of the problem was I didn't like the kids as much in this one. Especially the girl... whining about her boyfriend through-out the whole movie. That definitely took away from the movie for me. This series of movies changes the actors that play the kids with every movie. This one could very well have my least favorite of the kids... as I found both of them a bit on the annoying side.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #151 on: November 28, 2010, 06:12:36 AM »
I can't stand Audrey in this one either.  Entirely too whiney.  Rusty doesn't bother me.

Najemikon

« Reply #152 on: November 28, 2010, 01:27:16 PM »
It surprised me how awful this film was. Really I think Vacation and Christmas Vacation are the only good ones.

This film amounted to a sketch show with a scene in each European country to take the piss out of them. However, I did think the roundabout in London was hilarious, with Chase unable to work out how to exit!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 28, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »

Title: Vegas Vacation
Year: 1997
Director: Stephen Kessler
Length: 94 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Chevy Chase
Beverly D'Angelo
Randy Quaid
Ethan Embry
Marisol Nichols
Miriam Flynn

Plot:
When Clark Griswold puts his mind to something, we soon realize he hasn't got one. Still, nothing stops him when the vacation bug hits. This time, he's chosen Las Vegas, the new family entertainment capital of America!

Chevy Chase returns as bubbly, bumbling Clark in Vegas Vacation, a jokers-are-wild laughfest including two other stars from past Vacations. Beverly D'Angelo is back as wife Ellen, doting on the guy she calls "Sparky," and Randy Quaid again delights as grubby goofball Cousin Eddie. Ethan Embry (That Thing You Do!) and screen-debuting Marisol Nichols are Griswold teens who love the round-the-clock nightlife — as long as they don't share it with mom and dad! From Siegfried and Roy's extravaganza to a Hoover dam tour, from cruising to losing (Wallace Shawn as a shifty blackjack dealer) to amorous crooning (Wayne Newton falls for Ellen): watch Clark try to keep family and wallet together!

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
First thing you may notice is that I skipped Christmas Vacation... I did this because I plan on watching it for my 25 Days of Christmas Marathon... which starts here in a few days.

This one I will have to say is my least favorite of the Vacation movies... as I remember enjoying Christmas Vacation. In this case I do like Audry better then I did in the last movie... but this time I really didn't care for Rusty. At this point I still say I liked the kids the best in the first movie. I didn't like the whole side storyline of Ellen (the mother) and Wayne Newton. And there really wasn't too much funny in this one. Sure I got a chuckle or two... but nothing much worth anything. I would say this one is definitely below average.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 06, 2010, 05:55:35 AM »
This film amounted to a sketch show with a scene in each European country to take the piss out of them. However, I did think the roundabout in London was hilarious, with Chase unable to work out how to exit!
I never saw it as them making fun of the various countries. Sure, we see loads of stereotypey, but ultimately it is always Clark who is the butt of the jokes. Or has it been too long?

What bothered me the most was, that Anthiny Michael Hall wasn't back :shrug:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #155 on: December 06, 2010, 06:48:57 AM »
I have felt like it was Clark who came out looking like the biggest idiot too.  He can't do anything without causing some sort of problem.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #156 on: December 06, 2010, 06:51:28 AM »
Vacation and Christmas Vacation are the best in my opinion.

Najemikon

« Reply #157 on: December 06, 2010, 10:11:31 PM »
I never saw it as them making fun of the various countries. Sure, we see loads of stereotypey, but ultimately it is always Clark who is the butt of the jokes. Or has it been too long?

True, but it's the stereotypes I mean. Whatever the writers did or didn't do with Clark is one thing, but they still had to think about what the Griswald's find in each country and they chose the most obvious, broad things they could, which demonstrated their lack of originality or talent.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #158 on: December 07, 2010, 03:45:46 AM »
Christmas Vacation is my favorite...it is one of my favorite Christmas movies too.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #159 on: December 07, 2010, 04:13:03 AM »
Same here! I have a copy on VHS, DVD and Blu-ray.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #160 on: December 07, 2010, 04:23:53 AM »
I want the Blu-ray...I saw last year a collectible set for it that had extra goodies....but I didn't get it since I didn't have a Blu-ray player at the time.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #161 on: December 07, 2010, 04:28:46 AM »
I got my copy last November at Kmart for $16, pretty cheap.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 21, 2010, 12:57:41 AM »

Title: Justice League: Crisis On Two Earths: Two-Disc Special Edition
Year: 2010
Director:
Length: 75 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen :1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
William Baldwin
Mark Harmon
Chris Noth
Gina Torres
James Woods
Jonathan Adams

Plot:
In a parallel universe, the long survivor of Earth’s Justice League – Les Luthor – travels through other-world dimensions to join forces with Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Flash, and J’onn J’onzz in a desperate attempt to save his world and its people. But the villainous Crime Syndicate controlled by Ultraman, Owlman and Superwoman will stop at nothing to maintain their domination. It will take wits, might and a sacrifice to defeat these unforgiving enemies in this spectacular DC Universe Animated Original Movie with a stellar voice cast headed by Mark Harmon, James Woods, Chris Noth, Gina Torres, William Baldwin, Bruce Davison and more. Two Earths, two Leagues and one epic battle collide for a thrilling experience that will leave you breathless!

Extras:
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Digital Copy
Short: The Spectre
2 Justice League Episodes

My Thoughts:
This is the first time I ever seen this one. I enjoyed it... it was a lot of fun watching a new animated Superhero movie. Though I do admit... what with the parallel universes and all it did get a little confusing in a scene here and there... but not too bad really. I said it with the other Justice League animated movie... and I will say it about this one. It just seems strange for me to see Wonder Woman flying! I did however get a kick out of seeing Firestorm in a small part of this movie... I always liked him when I was a kid watching the old Justice League. I also liked how even though she does fly... Wonder Woman ended up with her invisible plane in this one. Now that is how I am used to seeing Wonder Woman! After the movie Brittany and I watched the animated short on The Spectre as well as the 2 Justice League Episodes. They were a 2-part episode also dealing with parallel universes... and the episodes were even more confusing then the movie was. But it was still good. But as I said... I really enjoyed watching this tonight... I just may have to do a Weekend Marathon of the Animated Superhero movies I own!

My Rating:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 12:48:56 AM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 07, 2011, 01:19:42 PM »

Title: Buck Rogers in the 25th Century
Year: 1979
Director: Daniel Haller
Rating: NR
Length: 89 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Gil Gerard
Pamela Hensley
Erin Gray
Henry Silva
Tim O'Connor

Plot:
In the original theatrical pilot, a mysterious meteor shower in 1987 sends astronaut William "Buck" Rogers and his spacecraft off-orbit. He doesn't awaken from the resulting suspended animation until an alien diplomatic vessel, Draconia, and the deceptively beautiful Princess Ardala intercept him in the year 2491. Sent back to Earth by the deceptively beautiful Princess Ardala, Buck must now convince the Earth's Defense Directorate of his true identity and prevent an attack by the alien Draconians whose "peacekeeping" motives on Earth are not so clear.

Extras:
Scene Access
Bonus Trailers

My Thoughts:
I decided to pop in this movie that started the series when I found out that today (Jan.7th) is Erin Grey's 61st birthday. I always found this to be a fun show when I was a kid. But I haven't seen this show since... and I must admit I was a little worried on how well it would hold up. While watching this today I definitely felt it was dated... and yes a bit on the cheesy side... but even with that said I still found it to be entertaining. I think I will have fun re-watching this series after many long years.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 07, 2011, 03:35:24 PM »

Title: The New Love Boat
Year: 1977
Director: Alan Myerson, Robert Kinon
Rating: NR
Length: 72 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1

Stars:
Gavin MacLeod
Bernie Kopell
Fred Grandy
Ted Lange
Lauren Tewes

Plot:
The New Love Boat was the third pilot film for the long-running TV series. After several casting missteps in the two earlier films, the series' regular characters are herein solidified: Gavin McLeod as Capt. Stubing, Bernie Kopell as Doc, Fred Grandy as Gopher, Ted Lange as Isaac and Lauren Tewes as Julie. Guest stars include Georgia Engel as a stowaway, Gary Frank and Melanie Mayron as a pair of tremulous honeymooners, Stella Stevens and Pat Harrington as an eternally bickering married couple, and Audra Lindley and Phil Silvers as, respectively, an outspoken middle-aged lady and a woebegone widower. The New Love Boat was originally telecast May 5, 1977, while the Love Boat series ran from 1977 to 1985.

My Thoughts:
This is a TV movie that started another series I used to watch as a kid... but haven't seen in many years. Much like Buck Rogers it is no more then cheesy fun.... just in a different way. I find that I like seeing all the old guest stars again more then what the actual story is about. But there is a few laughs and entertainment in the stories as well. I am not so sure I would be able to watch this series in a marathon viewing... but think it could be fun to watch an episode here and there as the mood hits.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete