Author Topic: Titanic Marathon  (Read 11076 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Titanic Marathon
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 10:45:32 PM »

Title: Titanic
Year: 1997
Director: James Cameron
Rating: FSK-12
Length: 187 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.30
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround EX, German: Dolby Digital Surround EX, German: DTS ES (Matrixed), Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: Commentary, English, German, Turkish

Stars:
Leonardo DiCaprio
Kate Winslet
Billy Zane
Kathy Bates
Frances Fisher

Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Music Videos
Photo Gallery
Scene Access
THX certified
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I always enjoyed this movie. Sadly I didn't go to see it at the cinema at the time. I first saw it on VHS, which I had given my mother as a present (she liked this movie so much, that she watched it twice in the cinema).

Unlike the other Titanic movies, this one almost exclusively revolves around two characters. What is great about this movie, is, that they build up a strong relationship between the two main characters in the first half of the movie, which brings a great human element to the disaster itself. Thus the sinking of the Titanic has a much more emotional impact on the viewer than the other Titanic movies did.
Kate Winslet is especially great in it. Especially in the second half she did a great job.

From the time Titanic hits the iceberg, this movie is very reminiscent of "A Night to Remember". On a technical standpoint, "Titanic" is a mixed bag. On the one hand, there are a lot of greatly executed scenes. But on the other hand, a lot of the exterior shots look very fake. Especially the CGI shots and green-screen scenes. Compared to "A Night to Remember", it doesn't hold up as well. It will certainly not hold up as good after 40 years as ANtR did.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
This was it for my Titanic marathon for now. I enjoyed it much more than I did expect. I was expecting to get bored watching the "same" movie five times in a row. But it was great to see them all in direct comparison.
I definitely can recommend checking out "A Night to Remember", if you did not already. Especially if you like the Cameron film. But I also was impressed with the 1943 Titanic movie.

As I got a recommendation for another Titanic movie ("La Femme de Chambre du Titanic") at the Invelos forums, one review will follow when this movie arrives.

Rogmeister

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 07:26:05 PM »
I have seen 2 Titanic movies as far as I can recall.  I saw the big one, of course, with Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet...I saw that one twice in a movie theater.  I had a friend who was really into sea movies and enjoyed reading about the Titanic and all.  Sadly he passed away in 2000.  Ironically, the last movie we saw in a theater together was another sea tragedy movie, The Perfect Storm.  I have also seen the 1953 Titanic film but it's been at least a couple of years since I saw it and for some reason I don't recall it too well now.  I also remember that I read A Night To Remember when I was in high school which was a long time ago.  :laugh: