Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 14831 times)

Najemikon

Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 11:44:04 PM »
Torchwood gets mentioned occasionally throughout Doctor Who without it being seen. I do like how they feed other organisations in! The other that gets mentioned is Unit. It's cute how they all know about Doctor Who and see him as an ally, whether he likes it or not! A recent one with Lee Evans was hilarious.

I seemed to remember they were more involved by the end of series two and while Who was on a break, series one of Torchwood aired. I went to Wikipedia to clarify and they are predictably spoilerific! But this paragraph is quite neat:

The premiere episode "Everything Changes" was written by Russell T Davies and serves to introduce the main characters and roles within the series, using newcomer Gwen as the audience surrogate in a similar style to the introduction of the companion characters in Doctor Who. The second episode, titled "Day One", aired immediately after the first. It continues Gwen's neophyte role and includes a classic "sex monster" science fiction storyline[63] in the vein of The Outer Limits episode "Caught in the Act" and Angel's second episode "Lonely Hearts". The first 13-episode series ended with a two-parter on 1 January 2007. The first part, entitled "Captain Jack Harkness", is a love story set in wartime Britain, with a subplot which serves to push the setting towards an "apocalypse" for series finale "End of Days". It deals with the ramifications of diseases and persons from throughout history falling through time and across the universe to arrive in the present day, and particularly in Cardiff. The episode also sets up Jack's return in the Doctor Who episode "Utopia".

What I didn't know is that Davies had the idea for Torchwood long before he was tasked with reinventing Who. Certainly Jack being so openly bisexual is probably down to him.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 11:45:49 PM by Jon »

Najemikon

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 06:21:32 PM »
Just dug up this old topic because I wanted to comment on the finale of Doctor Who which I just caught up with. This was the last one with David Tennant and he regenerated into Matt Smith (hope that's not a spoiler! It's kind of how Who works ;)).

It was simply magnificent, if a bit indulgent for various reasons, but it was indulgent for the viewer as well and a lovely way to close it, with several old characters getting cameos. His "assistant" was Bernard Cribbins returning as Wilf from the Catherine Tate series and he turned out to be very important indeed. It's the perfect example of what Karsten said about character development being placed above plot; Who can be dreadfully contrived and flippant with its own logic, but it's a means to an end and that characters journey has been superb in the hands of Tennant. His very last line is a killer.

Part of the reason I wanted to comment is to reassure people who might be reluctant about diving in on such a long running series. Eccleston only did the one, but the following Tennant years and specials have now been finished properly and although it will continue with Matt Smith, that could be an entirely different direction. So don't think that if you buy series one and two, you'll be committing yourself to six plus series because each Doctor has his own path to follow.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 04:39:56 PM »
(click to show/hide)
:(

I have to admit I shed some tears at "The End of Time" from the moment he said "It's starting" until the above spoilered line. It was great to see everyone again, even though it was only for a cameo. I still hope we'll see some of them again - at least for Martha and Mickey it shouldn't be a problem story-wise. If they wanted to (and it's Doctor Who where everything is possible) they even could make the Eleventh Doctor travel through the barrier of dimensions and meet
(click to show/hide)
again.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Najemikon

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 10:07:27 PM »
Well, the 11th Doctor is now underway in the guise of Matt Smith. The first episode was ultimately a bit hectic, but perhaps they were trying to keep everything moving and fun so you wouldn't really pay attention to the new bloke, because obviously, he'll be rubbish.

Except he isn't. You can believe this is the same character as played by Tenant, but with a difference and he really hit the ground running. Although the youngest actor to take on the Doctor, he appears young and old at the same time, if that makes any sense. The opening sequence as a small child tells him about the scary crack in her room while trying to find him some food he likes (he finally settles on fish fingers and custard!) is a joy. Perfect Who setup.

So we've got a new Doc, a new Tardis, a new Sonic Screwdriver and of course, a new assistant. And she is absolutely gorgeous! Stunning. Whoever had the idea to contrive her introduction as being a kiss-o-gram dressed as a policewoman in a very short skirt is a bona fide bloody genius. Those legs...  :drooling: The accent just rounds off the whole effect.  :surrender:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 01:21:25 AM »
Over the past six days I watched Doctor Who Series 2, 3, 4, the 2009 Specials, Series 5 Episode 1 and Doctor Who Confidential for Series 1 and 2.

Ironically the first thing I noticed about the new series was that the TARDIS doors opened outwards which I can't remember the ever doing before. The plot seemed pretty straight-forward, I can't say there were any surprises for me (e.g. that the Doctor isn't the most punctual man has been proven time and time again [e.g. when he brought Rose home for the first time in Aliens of London; The Girl in the Fireplace]; that he challenges his enemies to look him up [e.g. Forest of the Dead]).

Even the threat that silence is descending isn't a surprise - they need a plot for the season finale.

But I like both characters so far - i.e. I'm willing to give them a chance -, I'm just wondering if we will see any of the old characters ever again (With the exception of Professor River Song who was in the series preview).
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

klandersen

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 09:36:59 AM »
No, Eccleston was the brand new Doctor in 2005 when the BBC relaunched it, but despite being perfect in the role, he decided he didn't want to be typecast and stepped down. Tenant has now done three series plus specials and three or so in the pipeline, but the next full series will be with Matt Smith.

Early 90s? That could have been the film with Paul McGann which bore very little resemblance to the series! If that's all you've seen so far you're in for a treat... :P

McGann Movie was '96 and even though it bares little resemblance to the original series, it is the only "episode" of the 8th doctor that is considered Cannon even though there are several audio adventures and a bunch of books.

Re: Eccleston as I heard it he was only contracted to do the one year and so had contracted to do other things afterward. Nobody was sure if the relaunch would even be popular enough to continue so the producers didn't press him to return when they realized the show would continue.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 12:47:29 PM »
I finally tracked down when Dr. Who airs on BBC America and I've seen some episodes.  I really like them, though, they don't seem to be airing in any particular order. 
I've seen episodes with Eicholson as the Doctor..and with the newest guy and Amy.  I haven't seen any with Tennant yet.  It would be nice if there was some sort of order to how they are airing, but I'll manage.  Somehow I have a feeling that I'll get the DVD sets...   :laugh:

Oh, I had seen some of the older Dr. Who shows years ago.  I can't remember who was the Doctor in most of the ones I saw.  All I can remember is him having dark hair and a really long striped scarf.  I did see the first episode with the doctor who followed him...and I remember being really confused with the changing appearance.  I've learned more since reading reviews about the show.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010, 01:11:21 PM »
The Doctor with the really long scarf is the fourth Doctor (Tom Baker)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_Doctor
Karsten

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010, 10:35:31 PM »
That's him.

Well I think the episodes are airing more in order now.  I saw the end of the first season and I have the Christmas special one with Tennent on my DVR.  I think they did some sort of marathon last week when I found the show...several episodes of the newest season.

Oh..I also saw that Torchwood is going to be on there too.  So I have my DVR set.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2010, 09:16:15 PM »
I'm still watching Doctor Who...I've just seen the last episode of season 2 a few days ago. 

(click to show/hide)

I have seen the Runaway Bride episode and the first episode with Martha.  I like her so far.  I have still be catching the newest episodes when they are on too. 

Quick question...I know I'll get the DVD sets..just a matter of when..have to watch the price.  Why are BBC shows so freaking expensive??  Anyway, I've seen one set that says it is the specials with David Tennant.  Are those episodes that are part of season 4?  So will I need to get that set too to have them all?

RossRoy

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 09:29:59 PM »
(click to show/hide)

That Specials box set with David Tennant technically happen between Series 4 and 5. And do yourself a favor, before you watch End of Times Part I and II, make sure you've seen the whole of David Tennant's episodes. It'll be that much more powerful if you do.

Najemikon

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2010, 09:30:29 PM »
I can't remember the order, but you will need the specials too, if only because they're referenced later. If it's any consolation, the box sets hold their price in the UK too.

I think it's because the BBC is a publicly funded service. Therefore retail merchandise and selling original broadcasts internationally are a major source of income. Second, I think they are publicly accountable and can't be seen to be too commercial.

But in any case, I'm really pleased to see you getting into it.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2010, 09:35:58 PM »
The order is

Season 1
The Christmas Invasion
Season 2
The Runaway Bride
Season 3
Time Crash (optional, was a five minute Children in Need special with the Fifth and Tenth Doctor)
Voyage of the Damned
Season 4
The Next Doctor
Planet of the Dead
The Waters of Mars
The End of Time, Part One
The End of Time, Part Two
Season 5

Usually the christmas special is sold with the next season, the five specials between season 4 and 5 are sold as "The Complete Specials".
Karsten

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 09:40:54 PM »
(click to show/hide)

I figured I would watch all the Tennant episodes before the specials.  I just wanted to check if they were part of the series 4 set or not.

That makes sense about the price...I just wish the price would drop more when they are on sale.  Right now at Amazon, on sale, they first 4 sets are around $45.

I'm beyond getting into it.  I'm fully hooked and addicted I think.   :laugh:  I even have a few Doctor Who books on my wish list at Amazon now.  And I got a friend hooked on the show too.  I told him a bit about it and he decided to check it out and now he's as hooked as I am.   :laugh:  
Oh..I also watched some episodes of Graham Norton show when Tennant was a guest.  And that led me to watching some more episodes of that show too.  

I might as well mention...I got the new BBC Sherlock series too. Though I suppose that is clear from my watched banner. :)  But I love that too.
BBC does really good stuff.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 09:46:25 PM »
The order is

Season 1
The Christmas Invasion
Season 2
The Runaway Bride
Season 3
Time Crash (optional, was a five minute Children in Need special with the Fifth and Tenth Doctor)
Voyage of the Damned
Season 4
The Next Doctor
Planet of the Dead
The Waters of Mars
The End of Time, Part One
The End of Time, Part Two
Season 5

Usually the christmas special is sold with the next season, the five specials between season 4 and 5 are sold as "The Complete Specials".

Thank you :)

So far I've seen part of the first season, The Christmas Invasion, season 2, Runaway Bride, the first episode of season 3 and a handful of episodes from season 5. 

I started with season 1 with Dancing Doctor...or Doctor Dancing..can't remember the exact title now.

I have seen the first episode of season 5...the second one...then a few later in the season.  When I started watching, BBC America was doing a marathon of season 5 that day...I was a bit confused, but I still enjoyed them.  I have another episode of season 5 on my DVR...but I think it is one of the last episodes, so I was going to wait so I could watch the last few all together.

I'm already planning to watch the new Christmas special.