Author Topic: "Due South" marathon  (Read 73585 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: "Due South" marathon
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2009, 09:02:00 PM »
Hereby I declare this marathon as officially started :)

Let's start with the first two episodes to give those, who haven't watched it yet, a chance to review the pilot movie.

Due date: Sunday 2009-06-28

Episodes:
Pilot movie
Free Willie
Diefenbaker's Day Off

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2009, 12:24:02 AM »
Hereby I declare this marathon as officially started :)

:yahoo:

lyonsden5

« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2009, 03:15:50 PM »
Looks like I got back just in time.  ;D

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2009, 03:32:03 PM »
:clap:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2009, 06:34:37 PM »

I knew that you were coming back this week, this is why I chose to start it now ;)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2009, 09:56:26 PM »
1.01 Free Willie (1994-09-22)
Writer: Paul Haggis (Created By), Kathy Slevin (Writer), Paul Haggis (Writer)
Director: George Bloomfield
Cast: Paul Gross (Constable Benton Fraser), David Marciano (Detective Ray Vecchio), Beau Starr (Lt. Harding Welsh), Daniel Kash (Detective Louis Gardino), Tony Craig (Detective Jack Huey), Catherine Bruhier (Elaine), Christopher Babers (Willie Lambert), Ed Sahely (Hamlin), Christina Cox (Caroline Morgan), Domenic Cuzzocrea (Landlord), Djanet Sears (Public Defender), Elena Kudaba (Celeste), Todd Schroeder (Charles), Matt Birman (Donald), Michael Donaghue (Hugo)

A great first episode. All the other regular cast members are introduced, including Ray's beloved 1971 Buick Rivieras which will get blown up a few times.
I like the captain, also Elaine who falls for Fraser is fun.
A familiar face to me: One of the guest stars (Chistina Cox) starred in "Better than Chocolate", a movie I reviewed recently.

Rating:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 10:28:27 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2009, 12:00:01 AM »
1.02 Diefenbaker's Day Off (1994-09-29)
Writer: Paul Haggis (Created By), Kathy Slevin (Writer)
Director: Joe Scanlan
Cast: Paul Gross (Constable Benton Fraser), David Marciano (Detective Ray Vecchio), Beau Starr (Lt. Harding Welsh), Daniel Kash (Detective Louis Gardino), Tony Craig (Detective Jack Huey), Catherine Bruhier (Elaine), Madolyn Smith-Osborne (Mackenzie King), Brendan Kelly (Charlie), Azura Bates (Lucy), Tony Cacciotti (Vince), David Eisner (Dr. Howard), Marvin Karon (Warren Knoop), Angela Moore (Head Nurse), Richard Hardacre (Mercedes Driver), Eric Fink (Maitre 'D), William Dunlop (Irishman), Kevin Frank (Animal Control Officer), Rebecca McLaughlin (Dr. Mason)

Another fun episode. It's nice to see that Fraser can count on Ray (aquisition of the "wolf" license).

I never get tired hearing the opening theme song.

Rating:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2009, 12:07:03 AM »
Free Willie
After a young purse snatcher named Willie sees an armed robbery, Fraser is determined to prove the boy wasn't involved. Ray reluctantly agrees to help Fraser prove the boy's innocence as well as find the true criminals, even though he's risking his own job to do so.

My Thoughts:
This was a fun episode. There was a couple scenes I literally laughed out loud on. I love that new girl that has the hots for Fraser.... and Fraser's reaction to her is hilarious. I looks like he won't be able to cool her off any time soon. That is if he would even want to. Hell I would say go for it!  :P I will say though... that the crime in this story was pretty predictable. I had it figured out pretty early. But I don't think the actual crimes they solve is the central storyline in this series.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2009, 01:50:16 AM »
Diefenbaker's Day Off
Fraser smells a rat when his neighbor Charlie suffers from one too many "accidents." Promising Charlie's daughter Lucy that he'll investigate her dad's streak of bad luck, Fraser discovers that Charlie is the unwilling fall guy for an insurance scam. In his efforts to help Charlie out, Fraser runs afoul of investigative reporter Mackenzie King, who thinks that the displaced Mountie is a part of the scam. Meanwhile, Fraser's still-unlicensed pet wolf Diefenbaker runs afoul of the local dog catcher.

My Thoughts:
Another really fun episode. I got a kick out of the wolf's adventures every time Fraser leaves him alone. And I also really liked this investigative reporter. The very end of this episode suggests she may be back in more episodes... I hope she is.

My Rating:
Pete

lyonsden5

« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2009, 02:54:26 AM »
Pilot
A great way to set up the series I believe. Paul Gross (Fraser) and David Marciano (Ray) do a really good job of setting up their characters. Many shows it take a few episodes (or more) before the actor is truly believable as their character, but not these two.

Great scene at the airport where he is waiting for a cab... but keeps letting other people go 1st. I am looking forward to the rest of the series (even though I watched it in January. Having been born just outside of Chicago (where the story takes place) makes watching a bit more fun.

Rating

Free Willie
So, is he really this naive or is he just that nice and believe in his fellow man that much... I believe it's the later. His faith in people is so over the top it's laughable really, but in the end he usually turns out to be right about those people.

They do a good job with Fraser in regards to setting up where he will live. Obviously living where he does is a great set up for some side stories of his do-gooding.

Rating

Diefenbaker's Day Off

The funny part about this episode is Diefenbaker's story isn't the main story, not that you would guess that from the title. I recognized Madolyn Smith (the reporter) from the movie Funny Farm (with Chevy Chase). Not by name of course - IMDB helped with that. As I recall many guest stars in this show are recognizable from other movies/tv shows. Unfortunately Pete she doesn't come back (as I remember). There are others though :-X

You begin to get a sense of just how smart Fraser is in this episode. When he described how he knew the girls father was a boxer it was a bit much really... but it all goes to helping show just how different Fraser is from everyone else. I got a kick out of the boxing scene too.

Rating (only because you would think by the name the episode would have had more of the wolf in it.

Speaking of guest stars... I've already watched the next episode. Guest star Leslie Nielsen as "Buck Frobisher"  :laugh:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2009, 11:04:09 AM »
Next four episodes:
- Manhunt
- They Eat Horses, Don't They?
- Pizzas And Promises
- Chinatown

Due date: Sunday, 2009-07-05

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2009, 03:45:43 PM »
1.03 Manhunt (1994-10-06)
Writer: Paul Haggis (Created By), Paul Haggis (Writer)
Director: Paul Lynch
Cast: Paul Gross (Constable Benton Fraser), David Marciano (Detective Ray Vecchio), Beau Starr (Lt. Harding Welsh), Daniel Kash (Detective Louis Gardino), Tony Craig (Detective Jack Huey), Catherine Bruhier (Elaine), Leslie Nielsen (Buck Frobisher), William Smith (Harold Geiger), Cali Timmins (Julie Frobisher), Gordon Pinsent (Fraser Sr. (voice)), Conrad Bergschneider (Chuck), Donald Fleckser (Donald), Judith Scott (Head Nurse), John Carroll (Scow Captain), George Buza (Welker), Ernie Grunwald (Morgue Attendant)

Leslie Nielsen as Fraser Sr.'s old partner :)
It's nice to see Nielsen in a more serious role but still retaining a little of the typical Nielsen humor.

Rating:

1.04 They Eat Horses, Don't They? (1994-10-13)
Writer: Paul Haggis (Created By), Stephen Neigher (Writer)
Director: Timothy Bond
Cast: Paul Gross (Constable Benton Fraser), David Marciano (Detective Ray Vecchio), Beau Starr (Lt. Harding Welsh), Daniel Kash (Detective Louis Gardino), Tony Craig (Detective Jack Huey), Catherine Bruhier (Elaine), Al Waxman (Vince Leggett), Teri Polo (Stephanie Cabot), Kaye Ballard (Mrs. Vecchio), Ramona Milano (Francesca Vecchio), Domenic Cuzzocrea (Landlord), Paulina Gillis (Maria Vecchio), Vito Rezzo (Tony), Richard Moll (Zaleb Carney), Yanira Contreras (Mrs. Gamez), Francesco Figliomeni (Mario), Brooke Johnson (Adelaide), Robert King (Norm), Gary Hill (Auctioneer), Walker Boone (Crew Chief)

Teri Polo and Richard Moll guest star.
A fun episode. I always enjoy the scenes, when Fraser is visiting Ray's family. Especially Francesca is a riot.

Rating:

RossRoy

« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2009, 05:34:44 PM »
Pilot Movie
Great introduction to the series. I found both main actors to hit it off well. Looks to build towards a good series.

Oh and, is Ray's little sister cute or what? :drooling:
Hope she's back in future episodes!

--------------------

Free Willie
Loved the episode. A bit predictable, but there's a few nice moments. I'm really liking the dynamics between Fraser and Ray.

I liked Willie's reaction when Fraser gives him some money and the boy asks "why is this money pink?" and Fraser just replies "Good night Willie"  :laugh:

--------------------

Diefenbaker's Day Off
Another episode that builds on the strong start of the series. I like how they use Dief on the series. He's pretty much a third main character. I'm guessing this episode also served to introduce another recurring character: the Reporter. Looks to be an interesting one.

One thing bugged me though, and I hope they don't do it too often, and that's the over-the-top rescue of Lucy at the end. Do you honestly believe anyone is strong enough to throw a girl of her weight high enough to reach the roof of a building? All this while running away from a van towards a brick wall, and still get her precisely where Fraser stands (I'll admit Fraser might've moved, and he did catch her by the arm, so she wasn't thrown all the way to roof level, but still)? Come on! I just hope they keep it a little more real in the future.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2009, 05:42:50 PM »
Oh and, is Ray's little sister cute or what? :drooling:
Hope she's back in future episodes!

Again we agree on a cute girl  ;D
One of my favorite characters of the series.
And yes, she will appear throughout the series. Her part even gets bigger in season 3.

Najemikon

« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2009, 07:14:21 PM »
Her part even gets bigger in season 3.

Not the only part from the sounds of it, eh, Sebastien?  :tease: