Author Topic: Lesbian Movie Marathon  (Read 97733 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Lesbian Movie Marathon
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2009, 04:36:41 PM »

Title: High Art
Year: 1998
Director: Lisa Cholodenko
Rating: 18A
Length: 102 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround, French: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Radha Mitchell
Ally Sheedy
Gabriel Mann
Charis Michelson
David Thornton

Plot:
Ally Sheedy stars as Lucy Berliner, a once-famous photographer, whose career is revitalized when she meets Syd (Radha Mitchell), a beautiful young assistant editor for a prestigious photography magazine. Withdrawn from the art world, Lucy is reawakened by Syd who offers her the hope of escaping her drug-filled world. Before Syd realizes it, she is drawn into Lucy's seductive and dangerous mix while forced to make choices she never imagined.

Extras:
Commentary
Production Notes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I really want to like this movie. But for my taste the drug usage in this film is played up to high. I liked the scenes with Syd at her office and the scenes with Syd and Lucy alone. But every scene with Lucy's possé is just plain boring.
Also this movie is one of the examples why lesbian movies are said to always end in tragedy. And I don't like the way it happened. Lucy is never shown in the movie to be rock bottom with the drugs. Only her old girlfriend Greta is. But in the end she suddenly dies (offscreen) from the drugs.
But I liked Radha Mitchell's natural beauty in this movie.

Rating:

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2009, 11:58:24 PM »
Title: High Art
I really want to like this movie.
Rating:

Sorry to hear that you didn't like it. I would give it a , if not a .

For once, I don't find Lucy's circle boring. Or at least watching them isn't. It's a very convincing and richly nuanced portrayal of such a group. Their drug use doesn't make them freaks, they are habitual users, in repetitive patterns of behavior, slightly out-of-phase with reality.

And Lucy's end makes perfect sense to me. There is a seductive quality not only to Greta (once again an amazing Patricia Clarkson), but also to the life she represents. Yes, on one hand Lucy is tired of it, but on the other hand, leaving it requires an effort that is just too challenging. Their is a key comment earlier in the movie, as she talks at Syd's magazine about her past career: "I made it impossible for myself to continue."

Radha Mitchell's appearance as Syd is deceptive. A natural beauty, sure, also an unassuming demeanor and a curiosity that comes off as innocent. It isn't a calculated facade, but it effectively hides a very strong ambition.

And a quick note on Ally Sheedy. She is absolutely captivating as Lucy, one of her best performances for sure. But I also prefer the Anne Hathaway of Rachel Getting Married over her earlier roles, so your mileage may vary.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 12:00:17 AM by goodguy »
Matthias

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2009, 06:06:18 PM »

Title: Fire
Year: 1996
Director: Deepa Mehta
Rating: 15
Length: 107 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Nandita Das
Shabana Azmi
Jaaved Jaaferi
Ram Gopal Bajaj
Ranjit Chowdhry

Plot:
A desire for independence and personal expression clashes with tradition in director Deepa Mehta's love story with a twist exploring family values, love and loyality in India.

When Sita (Nandita Das) arrives at the New Delhi home of Jatin (Jaaved Jaaferi), her husband in an arranged marriage, she soon discovers that untold secrets and lies are simmering beneath the happy surface.

But what is the real reason behind the strange tension between Jatin's brother Ashok (Kulbushan Kharbanda) and his duty-bound wife Radha (Shabana Azmi)?

What part does their elderly paralysed mother Biji (Kushal Rekhi) play in the unfolding drama?

And why is Sita so keen to rebel against the notion of unquestioning devotion to one's husband?

A catalysmic event is about to turn everyone's world upside down as the harsh realities of contemporary Indian society are put under the spotlight.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
For Indian cinema, it was a big controversy, when it was released in 1996.
I feel that the relationship between these two women came too sudden. It seemed the only reason they got together because their husband were neglecting them. And I think it is not a good choice to have a pairing, which would even seem wrong in western cinema. The main characters are sister-in-laws. In my opinion this weakens the message which the movie wants to get across: The liberation of women from the strict traditions in India.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2009, 07:27:44 PM »

Title: D.E.B.S.
Year: 2005
Director: Angela Robinson
Rating: PG-13
Length: 92 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Sara Foster
Jordana Brewster
Meagan Good
Devon Aoki
Jill Ritchie

Plot:
Sultry crime boss Lucy Diamond (Jordana Brewster, The Fast and the Furious) is back in the states and the D.E.B.S. – an elite team of paramilitary collage co-ed superspies – are hot on her trail. But when their top agent, gorgeous Amy Bradshaw (Sara Foster, The Big Bounce), mysteriously disappears after coming face to face with the attractive young villainess, the D.E.B.S. begin a full-scale search for Lucy's secret lair, never suspecting that Amy may not want to be rescued after all, in this smart and sexy spy spoof.

Extras:
Closed Captioned
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Music Videos
Photo Gallery
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
This has always been a guilty pleasure of mine. I never get tired watching this movie. When I first heard about it, I know that it is a lesbian love story. I was vary at first when I saw the cover, but this is actually a really fun love story set in a spy-spoof background. This movie never takes itself seriously and I think it some great one-liners.
The growing relationship between the two girls is fun to watch. Jordana Brewster is simply beautiful as Lucy Diamond. Also Jill Ritchie as Janet is great. She has all the best lines.

Rating:

richierich

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2009, 10:57:02 AM »
Tom, please see my review of 'She Hate Me'

http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php/topic,5159.msg93049.html

It would fit nicely in this marathon    8)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2009, 07:38:59 PM »

According to your review, it doesn't fit here. Most movies I watch here are movies, which also have lesbians as their target audience (and often are made by lesbian directors) and a lot of these movies are highly regarded in the lesbian community (if afterellen.com is to be believed). ;)

richierich

« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2009, 10:22:05 PM »

According to your review, it doesn't fit here. Most movies I watch here are movies, which also have lesbians as their target audience (and often are made by lesbian directors) and a lot of these movies are highly regarded in the lesbian community (if afterellen.com is to be believed). ;)

Point taken, this film (I guess) would horrify the lesbian community

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2009, 09:18:27 PM »

Title: Boys Don't Cry
Year: 1999
Director: Kimberly Peirce
Rating: 18
Length: 114 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: Czech, Danish, English, Finnish, Hebrew, Hungarian, Icelandic, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Swedish

Stars:
Hilary Swank
Chloë Sevigny
Peter Sarsgaard
Brendan Sexton III
Alicia Goranson

Plot:
In Falls City, Nebraska, Brandon Teena (Hilary Swank) was a newcomer with a future, who had the small, rural community enchanted. Women adored him and almost everyone who met this charismatic stranger was drawn to his charming innocence. But, Falls City's hottest date and truest friend had one secret: he wasn't the person people thought he was.
A true story about hope, fear, and the courage it takes to be yourself, BOYS DON'T CRY is "A powerful and shocking drama" (The Daily Star). Critically acclaimed and winner of an Academy Award® for Best Actress, featuring incredible performances by Hilary Swank and newcomer Chloë Sevigny.

Awards:
Academy Award1999WonBest ActressHilary Swank
Academy Award1999NominatedBest Supporting ActressChloë Sevigny
BAFTA2000NominatedActress In A Leading RoleHilary Swank
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards2000WonBest ActressHilary Swank
European Film Awards1999NominatedScreen International Award 1999 (for a non-European film)
Golden Globe1999WonActress in a Leading Role - DramaHilary Swank
Golden Globe1999NominatedActress in a Supporting RoleChloë Sevigny
Independent Spirit Awards2000WonBest Female LeadHilary Swank
Independent Spirit Awards2000NominatedBest First Feature - Over $500,000Kimberly Peirce; Jeff Sharp; John Hart; Eva Kolodner; Christine Vachon
Independent Spirit Awards2000NominatedBest First ScreenplayKimberly Peirce; Andy Bienen
Independent Spirit Awards2000WonBest Supporting FemaleChlöe Sevigny
MTV Movie Awards2000NominatedBest Female Breakthrough PerformanceHilary Swank
MTV Movie Awards2000NominatedBest KissHilary Swank and Chloë Sevigny
Online Film Critics Society Awards2000NominatedBest ActressHilary Swank
Online Film Critics Society Awards2000NominatedBest Supporting ActressChloë Sevigny
Screen Actors Guild Award1999NominatedBest Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading RoleHilary Swank
Screen Actors Guild Award1999NominatedBest Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting RoleChloë Sevigny
Teen Choice Awards2000NominatedFilm - Choice Breakout PerformanceHilary Swank

Extras:
Commentary
Featurettes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
Hilary Swank really looks like a man in this one. It is really believable that the other characters confuse her with a man. Also her acting was great.
That said, I didn't care about the story all that much. I assumed as much going in, but I wanted to see this oscar performance.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2009, 08:31:55 PM »
     Imagine Me and You (2005/United Kingdom)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Ol Parker
Writing:Ol Parker (Writer)
Length:94 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Piper Perabo as Rachel
Lena Headey as Luce
Matthew Goode as Heck
Celia Imrie as Tessa
Anthony Head as Ned

Plot:
Piper Perabo lights up the screen as Rachel, a blushing bride whose perfect nuptials take a surprising turn at the altar: An innocent glance between Rachel and an unexpected wedding guest is all it takes to spark a love-at-first-sight romance with a surprising twist - the object of Rachel's affection is a smart and sensuous...woman! Their shocking romance causes quite a stir amongst her family and friends as Rachel is forced to choose between her husband and the girl of her dreams. Say "I do" to the wonderfully witty film that Cosmopolitan calls "a refreshing romantic comedy!"

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Closed Captioned
  • Commentary
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This is now the third time that I have watched this movie and I still enjoyed it very much. It has a good cast. Piper Perabo is especially lovely. And so is Lena Headey ("Sarah Connor Chronicles"). The male star of this movie (Matthew Goode) always reminds me of Callum Blue for some reason. I just noticed that he was Adrian Veidt in Watchmen. I have never noticed that before. Anthony Head (Giles on Buffy) does a great performance as a miserable married man.
The story moves along nicely. It is slowly becoming one of my favorite romantic comedies.

Rating:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 08:29:11 PM by Tom »

Critter

« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2009, 05:46:24 AM »
You have a lot of great movies here but I thought I would quickly drop in and say that while I have seen most of these, my favourites are D.E.B.S and Imagine me and You. Great marathon!  :thumbup:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2009, 08:15:06 AM »
Those are also two of my favorites :)

Critter

« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2009, 12:48:51 PM »
Well isn't that something, it seems like you and I have a good taste in lesbians  :P

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2010, 08:54:20 PM »

Title: My Summer of Love
Year: 2004
Director: Pawel Pawlikowski
Rating: 15
Length: 83 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Nathalie Press
Emily Blunt
Paddy Considine
Dean Andrews
Michelle Byrne

Plot:
Mona (Natalie Press)has just got hold of a brilliant moped that only cost a tenner. No engine but still dirt-cheap. She lives with her brother, Phil (Paddy Considine) who used to run a pub before he found God and poured away all the booze. Tamsin (Emily Blunt) is rich, spoilt and trying to live a life of seductive decadence.

They meet on the moors, above their quiet Yorkshire village and begin an intense, unlikely friendship.Tamsin and Mona want to escape their lives, but Phil wants to save them and save everybody else. Mona wants the old, dangerous, Phil back; the brother that she loved. Tamsin wants to see what it takes to break him.

Awards:
BAFTA2004WonThe Alexander Korda Award For The Outstanding British Film Of The YearTanya Seghatchian, Christopher Collins, Pawel Pawlikowski
British Independent Film Awards2004NominatedBest British Independent Film
British Independent Film Awards2004NominatedBest Director on an British Independent FilmPawel Pawlikowski
British Independent Film Awards2004NominatedBest Performance by a Actress in a British Independent FilmNatalie Press
British Independent Film Awards2004NominatedBest Performance by a Supporting Actor or Actress in a British Independent FilmPaddy Considine
British Independent Film Awards2004NominatedMost Promising NewcomerEmily Blunt
European Film Awards2005NominatedEuropean ActressNatalie Press
European Film Awards2005NominatedEuropean CinematographerRyszard Lenczewski
European Film Awards2005NominatedEuropean DirectorPawel Pawlikowski
European Film Awards2005NominatedEuropean Film

Extras:
Featurettes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
This movie is okay. Not really my kind of movie. The performances were good. Also the story has some merrit, but in general it is just another one of those lesbian movies which just have to have a tragic/sad ending, like "Lost and Delirious", "Heavenly Creatures" and countless others. Sadly it is hard to find lesbian movies which are upbeat and have a happy ending.

Rating:

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2010, 10:44:30 PM »
Title: My Summer of Love
This movie is okay. Not really my kind of movie. The performances were good. Also the story has some merrit, but in general it is just another one of those lesbian movies which just have to have a tragic/sad ending, like "Lost and Delirious", "Heavenly Creatures" and countless others. Sadly it is hard to find lesbian movies which are upbeat and have a happy ending.

This is easily one of the top movies of this decade and one I love very much. To dismiss it as just another sad lesbian movie is, well, kinda sad. Exceptional cinematography. Outstanding performances, not only by the two leads, but also by Paddy Considine.

It also is a great character-driven story, which is far less about lesbians than you suggested. I don't even agree on the ending being sad. Yes, there is a cruel twist, but the movie ends on a slightly upbeat note, as much as that is possible after the reveal. And it is one of those twist movies that do well on subsequent viewings, that aren't diminished, but enriched by knowing what's to come.
Matthias

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2010, 11:11:11 PM »
Exceptional cinematography.

The cinematography was not something which I found particularly interesting in this movie.
Also I didn't like the editing very much. For me many scenes had a disjointed feeling.