Author Topic: Lesbian Movie Marathon  (Read 97718 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Lesbian Movie Marathon
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2009, 10:32:57 PM »

Title: Fucking Åmål

That title is ringing a bell. ;)

Edith says I should have read your posting completely before posting. ;)

The movie (or rather its title), caused a minor controversy in the other forum recently.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 10:35:42 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2009, 11:29:27 PM »
Title: Fucking Åmål [img]
Director: Lukas Moodysson
Rating:

I remember watching this on German TV (dubbed, unfortunately) years ago and liking it quite well. I then checked out some other movies by Moodysson, but he lost me completely with both A Hole in My Heart and Container. I think a new one of him was shown at the Berlinale this year.
Matthias

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2009, 07:38:58 PM »

Title: Chasing Amy
Year: 1997
Director: Kevin Smith
Rating: R
Length: 114 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Ethan Suplee
Ben Affleck
Scott Mosier
Jason Lee
Casey Affleck

Plot:
Chasing Amy is the third installment in the "New Jersey Trilogy" from award-winning writer/director Kevin Smith (Clerks, Mallrats, Dogma). Cult comic-book artist Holden (Ben Affleck) falls in love with fellow artist Alyssa (Joey Lauren Adams), only to be thwarted by her sexuality, the disdain of his best friend Banky (Jason Lee), and his own misgivings about himself. Filled with Smith's unique ear for dialogue and insight into relationships, Chasing Amy offers a thoughtful, funny look at how perceptions alter lives, and how obsession and self-doubt skew reality.

Extras:
Booklet
Closed Captioned
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Outtakes
Scene Access
Trailers
Video Introduction

My Thoughts:
I haven't seen this movie for a while. It is still great. Probably the best Kevin Smith movie (though I enjoy watching some of his other movies more due to their geek factor :laugh:).
Nice to see Ethan Suplee here in the role of a fan. He also had a minor role in Mallrats. He will later join up with Jason Lee in "My Name Is Earl".

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2009, 11:21:28 PM »

Title: Supervoksen
Year: 2006
Director: Christina Rosendahl
Rating: 11 år
Length: 88 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio: Danish: Dolby Digital 5.1, Danish: DTS 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: Danish, English, Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish

Stars:
Emma Leth
Cathrine Bjørn
Amalie Lindegård
Sebastian Jessen
Charlotte Sieling

Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Music Videos
Production Notes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
This movie is about three teenage girls, who make a pact to do really stupid dares. The most sane one of the three is a closeted lesbian, who comes to grip with her sexuality during the course of the movie. Her storyline is the most interesting one, but sadly it has very little screen time. Almost not qualifying for this marathon.
There is a guy in this movie, who already has over 6000 DVDs at the age of 15 :o
When one of the girls went to him (because of a dare) pretending to want to borrow a movie from him, he says why she didn't go to Blockbuster then. Involuntarily I had to think of Skip after that line.

Here the part of the lesbian's first dare which essentially is almost her entire storyline, except a little scene later on with her second dare. The interesting thing here is, that she was the first one to actually fulfill her dare, but said otherwise, because she didn't want to admit to her friends and herself, that she did enjoy this kiss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5K0zHrljPQ

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2009, 06:53:06 PM »

Title: If These Walls Could Talk 2
Year: 2000
Director: 1961, Jane Anderson, 1972, Martha Coolidge, 2000, Anne Heche
Rating: 15
Length: 94 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo

Stars:
1961:
Vanessa Redgrave
Paul Giamatti
Elizabeth Perkins
1972:
Michelle Williams
Chloë Sevigny
Nia Long
Natasha Lyonne
Rashida Jones
2000:
Sharon Stone
Ellen DeGeneres
Regina King

Plot:
If These Walls Could Talk 2 is an intimate look at the lesbian experience in America in different social and politicla climates from the sixties to the millennium, as told in three different love stories:

An elderly woman,'widowed' when her companion of 50 years dies in 1961... A feminist co-ed discovering her attraction to an outsider in 1972... A loving couple eager to experience parenthood in 2000.

Three couple, three different decades. If These Walls Could Talk 2 is an honest portrayal of women in three very different times, all searching for love and acceptance.

Extras:
Photo Gallery
Production Notes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
Three stories in three different time periods.
All three have a great cast and were well acted. The last two stories also see some hot action. In the first one by Michelle Williams and Chloë Sevigny. In the second one by Sharon Stone and Ellen DeGeneres.
I liked the second story with the best. I think it would have had potential for a film of its own.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2009, 10:35:21 PM »

Title: Fingersmith
Year: 2005
Director: Aisling Walsh
Length: 181 Min.
Subtitles:

Stars:
Sally Hawkins
Elaine Cassidy
Rupert Evans
David Troughton

Plot:
In the dark and twisting alleyways of Dickensian London the stories of two very different young women collide with terrifying consequences...

Twenty year old petty thief, Sue Trinder, is part of an elaborate scam to defraud a wealthy heiress, Maud Lilley, of her inheritance. Encouraged by Mrs Sucksby who has looked after her since she was orphaned, Sue assists conman Richard Rivers in his bid to elope with Maud before having her committed to a madhouse and claiming her fortune for himself.

But Sue's plans are turned upside down when she falls in love with Maud... and the tale twists further as the two young women are separated just as they begin to realise the strength of their passion for each other...

Extras:
Featurettes
Photo Gallery
Production Notes
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
The first 90 minutes is building up a nice romance. I must admit, that the I was caught off guard by the twist which happened then. It made it all the more interesting to watch the second half.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2009, 10:59:45 PM »

Title: Kissing Jessica Stein
Year: 2001
Director: Charles Herman-Wurmfeld
Length: 97 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Jennifer Westfeldt
Tovah Feldshuh
Esther Wurmfeld
Hillel Friedman
Ben Feldman

Plot:
Sex and the single girl gets a fresh new spin in this "very funny movie!" (Joel Siegel, GOOD MORNING AMERICA). Fed up with her fruitless search for "Mr. Right" and tired of blind dates from hell, attractive journalist Jessica Stein whimsically responds to a classified ad – from Helen! Making and breaking new rules of dating as they go, the two women muddle through an earnest but hilarious courtship that blurs the lines between friendship and romantic love in this "smashing romantic comedy." (ROLLING STONE)

Extras:
Closed Captioned
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
The lead actress looks a little like Jennifer Aniston, but her voice is really annoying. Otherwise the movie is okay to watch, though it drags a little. The voice really annoyed me. I think I would have liked the movie much better otherwise.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2009, 09:18:38 PM »

Title: Nina's Heavenly Delights
Year: 2006
Director: Pratibha Parmar
Rating: PG
Length: 91 Min.
Subtitles:

Stars:
Laura Fraser
Shelley Conn
Art Malik
Ronny Jhutti
Veena Sood

Plot:
Nina Shah (Shelley Conn) is a feisty, young Indo-Scottish woman with an identity crisis who left home under a cloud after a row with her father. When her father dies suddenly, Nina is forced to return and run the family owned Curry House. This reunites her with her childhood friend Bobbi (Ronny Jhutti), a Bollywood drag queen and brings her face to face with Lisa (Fraser), a charismatic young woman to whom Nina's father sold 50 percent of the restaurant. Nina embarks on a personal mission to win the 'Best of the West' curry competition, a highly coveted prize in the world of Indian cuisine. But Nina's feelings are thrown into turmoil when she realises that she is falling in love, with Lisa. Can she win both prizes?

Preceptively scripted by Andrea Gibb (Dear Frankie) and featuring outstanding performances from Conn (Charlie and the Chocolate Family) and Fraser (Titus), Nina's Heavenly Delights is a vibrant and original work.

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
An enjoyable movie. The romance between the two girls is developed nicely. Would I find a little unbelievable is Nina's mother sudden acceptence of this relationship, when it was made clear throughout the movie, that Nina's family is very conservative.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2009, 10:52:45 PM »

Title: Heavenly Creatures
Year: 1994
Director: Peter Jackson
Rating: FSK-16
Length: 95 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: German: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: German

Stars:
Melanie Lynskey
Kate Winslet
Sarah Peirse
Diana Kent
Clive Merrison

Extras:
Deleted Scenes
Hintergrundinformation "Der Parker/Hulme Mordfall"
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
Based on a true story, this movie tells the story of the close friendship of two girls, who at the end belief, the only way to stay together is by murdering the mother of one of the girls.
Both Kate Winslet and Melanie Lynskey have their debut in this movie. I have seen and enjoyed Melanie Lynskey in various supporting roles ("Ever After", "But I am a Cheerleader"). And Kate Winslet is great as always.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2009, 12:07:45 AM »

Title: Tipping the Velvet
Year: 2002
Director:
Length: 175 Min.
Subtitles:

Stars:
Rachael Stirling
Keeley Hawes
Sally Hawkins
Jodhi May
Hugh Bonneville

Plot:
Set in England in the 1890s, Tipping the Velvet is a colourful, passionate and entertaining love story, which follows our heroine's growth into womanhood.

EPISODE 1

The glamorous world of the 19th -century music hall provides the backdrop for Nan's first love affair with Kitty Butler, a popular male impersonator. When Kitty is offered the chance to perform in London, a delighted Nan accompanies her as a dresser, but true success doesn't happen until Nan becomes part of the act.

EPISODE 2

Alone and devastated by her betrayal, Nan cannot return to her family in Whitstable so takes to the streets to survive. In her guise as a male impersonator, she finds a niche in the Victorian sexual underworld and is also drawn into the web of a rich Sapphic, society widow who offers sex, excitement and luxury but at a perilous price.

EPISODE 3

Diana throws out Nan and Blake and Blake disappears with all of the money leaving a totally destitute Nan. The only person she can think to turn to ends up unwelcoming to her. So begins a very different phase for Nan, which leads ultimately to her making the most important decision of her life

Extras:
Interviews
Photo Gallery
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This mini series is based on another novel by the same author, whom provided the source for "Fingersmith", the other mini series I reviewed recently. And I liked this adaption just as much, if not more, as "Fingersmith".
I am surprised, with what you can get away with in a BBC series. If it had been an American series, it would have to be at least HBO (or something similar), to be able to show this. Of course here in Germany it wouldn't have any trouble to be on normal prime time ;)

Rating:

Najemikon

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2009, 12:47:27 AM »
It's the norm in the UK. By and large, the population seems to appreciate a powerful, well-made documentary and doesn't get too worried about hard hitting subjects. The Daily Mail normally objects, but that's about it! Another one that may interest you from some years ago was Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2009, 06:51:51 PM »
Another one that may interest you from some years ago was Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit.
Thanks! I put it on my wishlist.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2009, 11:47:38 PM »

Title: The Children's Hour
Year: 1961
Director: William Wyler
Rating: 12
Length: 104 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Mono, German: Dolby Digital Mono, French: Dolby Digital Mono, Italian: Dolby Digital Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital Mono
Subtitles: Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, Greek, Norwegian, Swedish

Stars:
Audrey Hepburn
Shirley MacLaine
James Garner
Miriam Hopkins
Fay Bainter

Plot:
A child's lie has life-shattering consequences in this daring adaptation of Lillian Hellman's celebrated play. Starring Academy Award winners Audrey Hepburn and Shirley MacLaine and co-starring James Garner, Miriam Hopkins and Fay Bainter, this landmark film is "one of the most finely wrought dramas in the history of the screen" (Motion Picture Herald).

Karen (Hepburn) and Martha (MacLaine) are the headmistresses of an exclusive school for girls. When they discipline a malicious little girl, the vindictive child twists an overheard comment into slander and accuses her teachers of questionable behavior. Soon the scandalous gossip engulfs the school's community, with repercussions that are swift, crushing... and tragic.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This movie is now almost 50 years old, and for that, it is quite daring for its time. Although the play, it is based on, predates it even almost a further 30 years.
I came to attention of this movie, when I recently watched "If these walls could talk 2", where in one segment the main characters watched this movie at the theater. The scene they had shown in that movie was the following

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX6EhE1ZPXU

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2009, 12:41:36 PM »

Title: Boys on the Side
Year: 1995
Director: Herbert Ross
Length: 117 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround, French: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Whoopi Goldberg
Mary Louise Parker
Drew Barrymore
Matthew McConaughey
James Remar

Plot:
The past is miles back. The future stretches ahead. And laughs, tears and togetherness unfold along the way. Three women sharing a car going west also share a friendship that becomes family in Boys on the Side, the acclaimed box-office hit that had audiences everywhere on its side.

Whoopi Goldberg, Mary-Louise Parker and Drew Barrymore team in this winning celebration of camaraderie and caring directed by Herbert Ross (The Turning Point, Steel Magnolias). One (Goldberg) is a wisecracking club singer, one (Parker) a finicky real-estate agent and one (Barrymore) a free spirit. Each has secrets to reveal, strengths to impart, vital moments of self-discovery awaiting. Now's their time.

Extras:
Closed Captioned
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This was one of my first RC1 DVDs. At the time I bought most of the movies with Drew Barrymore in it, which I could get my hands on. This movie is a great dramatic movie. Though it isn't one I will watch often. As a matter of fact this was the first time in almost 9 years that I have watched it again.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2009, 01:52:46 PM »

Title: Better than Chocolate
Year: 1999
Director: Anne Wheeler
Rating: NR
Length: 102 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Wendy Crewson
Karyn Dwyer
Christina Cox
Ann-Marie MacDonald
Marya Delver

Plot:
"BETTER THAN CHOCOLATE" is a sexy romp of love and lust with surprising results.

Maggie (Karyn Dwyer) meets the woman of her dreams, Kim (Christina Cox), just hours before her mother, Lila (Wendy Crewson), and brother, Paul (Kevin Mundy), move in with her. When the four end up sharing a loft. Maggie believes she must keep her affair a secret but it is Maggie's clandestine romance that inadvertently introduces her family to a host of new experiences, all of which are potentially better than chocolate.

Extras:
Commentary
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I haven't seen this one for a long while. It is a fun little independent movie. But it is also full of lesbian movie clichés. You have the beautiful butch like Gina Gershon in Bound (a cliché which I do not mind. Who wants to see real-life butch in such a movie? :laugh:). You have the transgender man. The bookwormy lesbian. And a conservative mother who doesn't know her daughter is a lesbian.

Rating: