Author Topic: Alfred Hitchcock Marathon  (Read 224640 times)

Najemikon

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Marathon
« Reply #510 on: August 14, 2012, 09:32:01 PM »
I think you're being very unfair on Marty! He's far from irrelevant. It's like you're punishing him for not producing works of genius on demand.

But for me, he's become the Elvis Costello of film. His best work was decades ago, but he keeps popping up in everything, spouting "his view" on the subject, like his viewpoint is needed to derive credibility.

But he's earned that. Like Peter Bogdanivich, he is a very well respected film historian, so his opinion is trusted and sought. For all it's faults, Hugo is a fine tribute to the silent era that benefits from his knowledge.

How often have we mentioned Peeping Tom? It was Scorcese who rescued that film and Powell's reputation.

Najemikon

« Reply #511 on: August 14, 2012, 09:33:42 PM »
On the one hand, just because he doesn't make those "relevant films" doesn't mean he has good understanding of film and how it works.

On the other hand, I also found that his argument in this video was not very coherent. I may have missed something, but I thought he described the scene more than explaining it :shrug:

It's not an argument though, or an explanation. Just a reaction, so yes, it was only a description. But scenes like that shouldn't be over-analysed, just encouraged, because they mean different things to different people.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: August 15, 2012, 06:14:01 AM »
It's not an argument though, or an explanation. Just a reaction, so yes, it was only a description. But scenes like that shouldn't be over-analysed, just encouraged, because they mean different things to different people.
Exactly! So While Antares doesn't take away anything from that scene you have chills running down your spine...