Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: 1/16 - 1/18  (Read 10984 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: 1/16 - 1/18
« on: January 17, 2009, 01:49:06 AM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
1/16 - 1/18
Once again it is time to do my Weekend Movie Marathon. I am not doing any type of theme this weekend. I will be just watching whatever movie I am in the mood for... when I am in the mood for it. I am not expecting to get as many watched this weekend since I am getting a late start... but I wanted to finish the season set I was watching before starting my marathon. So this weekend I watched...

24: Redemption
24: Redemption is the unprecedented feature-length event from television's most provocative and suspenseful series. After sacrificing everything for his country, Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland) stands to lose the only thing he has left–his freedom. Wanted by the U.S. government and working as a missionary in Africa, Bauer must stop a ruthless warlord from drafting innocent children into his murderous militia. But first, Bauer must confront his own torturous past and face an impossible decision that will change his life forever.

Filmed on location in Africa, 24: Redemption features performances by Oscar® Winner Jon Voight and Robert Carlyle.

My Thoughts:
I wanted to watch this movie because I just finished watching season 6 before starting this marathon... and I wanted to watch this movie next so I could start on the season 7 episodes I have recorded. I really enjoyed watching this movie. It was a little weird to see 24 in a movie format but I think they did a good job doing it. I am glad this one had Tony Todd (Candyman) in it... as I have become a fan of his over the past several years. The storyline involving the child soldiers in Africa was heartbreaking to say the least. Now I am ready to start the new season!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: 1/16 - 1/18
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 03:46:27 PM »

The Crow
Catch the explosive, action-packed hit that thrilled moviegoers and dazzled critics everywhere! Brandon Lee (Rapid Fire) plays Eric Draven, a young rock guitarist, who, along with his fiancée, is brutally killed by a ruthless gang of criminals. Exactly one year after his death, Eric returns – watched over by a hypnotic crow – to seek revenge, battling the evil crime lord and his band of urban thugs, who must answer for their crimes. Loaded with intense, nonstop action and a hot #1 hit soundtrack, The Crow delivers exhilerating, fast-paced entertainment!

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I have not seen in years. Not since I first bought the DVD a good a good 4 or 5 years ago. To be honest I went into this one not remembering much about the movie itself. Sure I remembered the basics of the story... but not the movie. I must admit... I forgot just how much I enjoyed this movie. This movie could very well be the ultimate supernatural revenge movie. After watching this movie... it makes me wish I had some of the sequels to check out (which I have never seen any of).

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 08:46:24 PM »

Jeepers Creepers
You can keep your doors locked. You can keep your eyes closed. But still, he'll get what he wants...and what he wants is...you. Brace yourself for "90 minutes of steadily mounting horror [that] delivers more than its share of honest chills" ('The Baltimore Sun'). From "the scariest opening sequence of any horror picture in recent memory" ('Los Angeles Times') to "one of the gutsiest endings to a film this year" ('Dallas Morning News'), 'Jeepers Creepers' is the real deal in terror!

On a desolate country highway, two homeward-bound teens (Gina Philips, 'Living Out Loud' and Justin Long, TV's "Ed") are nearly run off the road by a maniac in a beat-up truck...and later spot him shoving what appears to be a body down a sewer pipe. But when they stop to investigate, they discover that the grisly reality at the bottom of that pipe is far worse than they could have ever suspected...and that they are now the targets of an evil far more unspeakable -- and unstoppable -- than they could have ever imagined!

My Thoughts:
I know this movie is not for everyone. And I can see why. It is far from the best horror movie I have in my collection. But I am able to enjoy it. I just need to turn my mind off before watching it. I did like Gina Philips in this movie. I will have to look into what else she has done... I only have a couple other titles with her in it (Ring Around the Rosie & An ep of Sliders).

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 11:01:20 PM »
I know this movie is not for everyone. And I can see why. It is far from the best horror movie I have in my collection. But I am able to enjoy it. I just need to turn my mind off before watching it. I did like Gina Philips in this movie. I will have to look into what else she has done... I only have a couple other titles with her in it (Ring Around the Rosie & An ep of Sliders).

This was a massive disappointment to me. I saw it at the cinema and I remember thinking about 20 minutes in, that at last, there was a decent, proper, full-on horror movie for my generation. Best horror since the 70s. Adult and genuinely disturbing.

Then it wasn't.  :shrug:

I think it was the scene where the girl reverses over the creature where it definitely jumped the shark. So overdone. Then it turned into a rip-off of Aliens, the sanctuary of all shit horror films! "Damn, how do we do the next scene? Sod it. Where's my Aliens DVD?"...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 04:18:01 AM »
This is a movie that I've appreciated the first time I've watched it, but...
I can't appreciate this film or anything directed by Victor Salva after I've discovered the past of this man. What he has done is unforgivable and I will not give one dollar to a convicted criminal (even more when the crime is the only one that I can forgive).

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 03:16:02 PM »

Stigmata
A lost soul has just received the wounds of Christ...and a shocking message that will alter history. Stunning performances from Patricia Arquette (True Romance), Gabriel Byrne (The Usual Suspects) and Jonathan Pryce (Ronin) and a cutting edge score by Billy Corgan of The Smashing Pumpkins and Elia Cmiral make Stigmata "a visual and visceral feast" (Entertainment Today).

Frankie Paige (Arquette) has absolutely no faith in God. All of that changes when she suddenly begins to suffer the Stigmata - the living wounds of the crucified Christ. Frankie's miraculous bleeding comes to the attention of the Vatican's top investigator, Father Kiernan (Byrne). But when Cardinal Houseman (Pryce), discovers that Frankie is actually channeling an extraordinary and provocative message that could destroy the Church, he's convinced that she - and the force possessing her - must be forever silenced. Determined to stop this deadly conspiracy, Kiernan risks his faith - and his life - to save her and the message that will change the destiny of mankind forever.

My Thoughts:
I was looking up at my shelving yesterday when this movie sort of popped out at me. I decided to put it off and go with something else. Then this morning while looking through my shelf for something to watch I spotted this one again. Realizing I have not watched this movie in a very long time (Not since I first bought it). I been putting off watching it again because I am not a very big fan of Religious Horror movies. But I can watch one now and then. But when I pulled it out I noticed this one starred Patricia Arquette (Medium)... who I have become a big fan of over the years. So I just had to watch it. After watching this... I am not sure Religious Horror really fits this movie. It definitely has it's share of blood... that is for sure. But it is more of a suspense thriller then it is horror. I found I really enjoyed the movie. Patricia Arquette was wonderful in it as usual. And the story and imagery was rather fascinating. But at the same time with the style of movie it is... it is not something that I will watch often. But I am sure I will watch again. It is one of those rarely watched treasures in my collection... if that makes any sense.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 08:09:48 PM »

The Langoliers
Something bizarre has happened aboard flight #29...a nightmare so chilling, so frightening, so unrelenting it could only come from the mind of Stephen King. Now the master storyteller of our time gives terror a new name in THE LANGOLIERS. A jet leaves on a red-eye flight from Los Angeles to Boston. But early in the flight, ten passengers awaken to a startling realization: All of the other passengers have vanished - and the ground below is only...ground. But once they manage to land the plane, the situation doesn't improve. No one is there...the air is still...the clocks have stopped...and a dread, evil presence bent on their destruction is headed straight for them. Based on the novella from the best-selling anthology 'Four Past Midnight', Patricia Wettig ('City Slickers II'), Bronson Pincho ('Beverly Hills Cop'), Dean Stockwell ('The Player') and David Morse ('The Getaway') stare into the jaws of oblivion in this nightmare from the mind of Stephen King.

My Thoughts:
This is a 3 hour Stephen King miniseries. It has a rather bleak look at time travel. Bronson Pincho's character Mr. Toomy is really off. And what is with that tearing of paper? It was almost like he was enjoying that a little too much... if you know what I mean. This is not one of my favorite King miniseries... though it has it's moments. Juast average... maybe slightly above average.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 08:52:37 PM »
I don't remember a lot of this serie (watch it one time when it was originally aired). But the short story is a good read and like almost everything written by King the screen passage doesn't work. I don't really remember if it's in the serie, but in the book it's clear that Toomy had deal with a lot of pressure by his father. He must go to Boston to corect the error he had done with his business transaction, in the novel this is the only thing that is in his mind. A good part of the novel deal with the relation between Toomy and his dad when he was young. The paper tearing is a reflex he had when he can't focus on the perfect ideal that his father had incrusted in his mind when he was a child.

This is a weak time travel movie because this isn't one Pete  ;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 08:55:22 PM by Jimmy »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 09:31:40 PM »
they pretty much showed all that in the miniseries... but all they really did is show him ripping the paper... not explaining it but you pretty much figured that is why though. I just don't think he portrayed it as good as he could have.  At times he actually had a look that could easily be confused with ecstasy on his face.  :P

To me this is very much a time travel movie... just a very dark one. They even said that this shows that time travel as theorized is not possible as there is nothing to go back to. They said in no uncertain terms that they went through a rip in time and the first time they went through they were behind everyone else. The second time through they were ahead of everyone else (which real time eventually caught up to them). So even though it does not follow the classic theory of time travel... it is literally what the movie said they did. So what would you call it then?
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 09:50:07 PM »
So even though it does not follow the classic theory of time travel... it is literally what the movie said they did. So what would you call it then?
Alternative reality. They don't go in the past or the future, but in a present that doesn't exist for no one else. It's some kind of reality factory : they build the product and if it doesn't work well the builders destroy it and this reality had never existed for real. The plane just find the passage by complete luck.

But your explanation is as good than mine, this is about a Stephen King's movie that we are talking about after all  :laugh:
You make want to read it again, I think I will do it after I end the one I read currently.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 10:21:22 PM »
I don't read novels at all. Not even Stephen King. I am going strictly by what is in the miniseries. And in it they make it perfectly clear that it is indeed time travel... at least for the miniseries.  They even completely dismiss the idea of an alternate reality in the miniseries. Even have real time catching up to them.

So while the novel may indeed be about an alternate reality (which I have no idea since I don't have the novel or bother to read any)... the miniseries is about time travel.
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 05:41:09 PM »
This is a movie that I've appreciated the first time I've watched it, but...
I can't appreciate this film or anything directed by Victor Salva after I've discovered the past of this man. What he has done is unforgivable and I will not give one dollar to a convicted criminal (even more when the crime is the only one that I can forgive).

What did he do?

richierich

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 06:12:59 PM »
Answer here to what the sicko did, christ knows how he got out so quickly

(click to show/hide)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 06:23:21 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Rich send an answer while I was writting mine, but since I've put some link I post it anyway