Author Topic: Riches Random Reviews  (Read 386537 times)

richierich

Re: Riches Random Reviews
« Reply #240 on: May 20, 2009, 11:34:15 PM »
The Big Lebowski

The Coen brothers' irreverent cult hit comes to DVD as a Collector's Edition, with all-new bonus material. The hilariously twisted comedy-thriller stars Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Steve Buscemi and Julianne Moore.  Join the "Dude" and his bowling buddies on their journey that blends unforgettable characters, kidnapping, a case of mistaken identity and White Russians. Enter the visually unique and entertaining world from the creative minds of the Coen brothers and remember: the Dude abides.

DUDE!! whats all the hype over this film??

Inconsistent and over-rated, this is an ok 90's comedy with an odd script and inspired acting. I was really looking forward to this film because of all the rave reviews, and thus just felt disappointment when I finally viewed it. I can appreciate why some people could like this, with the Coen brothers typical collection of zany characters, and good performances particularly from Bridges and Buscemi. Goodmans character was irritating and I was waiting patiently for him to get killed at some point early in the film.
Average comedy, worth watching once.
 :D

« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 12:50:31 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #241 on: May 22, 2009, 01:03:20 AM »
Romeo Must Die

They've got the weapons. They've got the posses. And they've got no chance against former Hong Kong cop Han Sing. Gravity-warping martial arts, cool visual effects and an all-star music track combine in this revved-up action movie from producer Joel Silver ('The Matrix') and starring Jet Li ('Lethal Weapon 4') in his first english-language lead role. Li plays rough-and-ready Han, who shares an attraction with Trish O'Day (screen-debuting songstress Aaliyah) even though their families are rivals in a fierce Oakland turf battle. The two also share plenty of danger as they try to find the real cause of the blood feud. No gun, no posse? No problem. With Jet Li going to war as only he can, 'Romeo Must Die' is alive and kicking.

Some great action scenes, and some funny moments with for once one-liners from Jet Li that don't make you cringe. The storyline isn't up to too much but what would you expect, with a twist so obvious you could spot it from the moon.
All in all good entertainment, nice blend of fighting violence and special effects which impressed.

richierich

« Reply #242 on: May 22, 2009, 01:08:50 AM »
Murder in the First

Christian Slater, Kevin Bacon and Gary Oldman star in 'Murder in the First,' the compelling, fact-based story of the trial that shut down the dungeons of Alcatraz. In a haunting performance, Bacon plays convict Henri Young. His crime: heisting $5 for his starving sister. His fate: worse than death. He's confined to the dungeons after a failed escape – an isolation lasting three mind-shattering years. When Henri at last emerges, he's confused, savage, barely human...and he quickly slays the stoolie who ratted on his escape. It's an open-and-shut case of Murder One. But a resolute attorney (Slater) has another option. He and Henri will put Alcatraz and its sadistic associate warden (Oldman) on trial.

Terrific fact based film, with an outstanding set of performances from Bacon, Oldman and even Slater!
At times a little over-intense, emotionally exhausting, but always entertaining and in it's context of being a true story quite shocking. Gary Oldman is a sinister monster as the nasty Warden Glenn who you can't help but despise, and R Lee Ermey was wonderfully cast as the abrupt judge. The portrayal is slick and keeps you interested, I was just disappointed by some of the camerawork, particularly when it was swivelling around the characters, which I found an unnecessary distraction.
A haunting film that stays with you.
 ;D 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 10:34:35 AM by Rich »

Najemikon

« Reply #243 on: May 22, 2009, 01:21:42 AM »
The Big Lebowski

The Coen brothers' irreverent cult hit comes to DVD as a Collector's Edition, with all-new bonus material. The hilariously twisted comedy-thriller stars Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Steve Buscemi and Julianne Moore.  Join the "Dude" and his bowling buddies on their journey that blends unforgettable characters, kidnapping, a case of mistaken identity and White Russians. Enter the visually unique and entertaining world from the creative minds of the Coen brothers and remember: the Dude abides.

Inconsistent and over-rated, this is an ok 90's comedy with an odd script and inspired acting. I was really looking forward to this film because of all the rave reviews, and thus just felt disappointment when I finally viewed it. I can appreciate why some people could like this, with the Coen brothers typical collection of zany characters, and good performances particularly from Bridges and Buscemi. Goodmans character was irritating and I was waiting patiently for him to get killed at some point early in the film.

:laugh:

One of the finest comedies of the 90s. I think you'll have a friend in Matthias, Rich! We had an interesting discussion about how wrong he was, and by proxy, how wrong you are too.  :tease:

This is definitely a Marmite film. I think it's absolutely superb; first time, I scratched my head. Second time, it clicked. Probably on about the eigth time by now!

"or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing..."  :hysterical:

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 22, 2009, 03:10:51 AM »
The Big Lebowski

One of the finest comedies of the 90s. I think you'll have a friend in Matthias, Rich! We had an interesting discussion about how wrong he was, and by proxy, how wrong you are too.  :tease:

It all starts here. I give Jon credit that he often has to say interesting things about uninteresting movies.  :P

I do recommend Robert Altman's The Long Goodbye as an antidote to the dude. The review is a little further down on the same page.
Matthias

richierich

« Reply #245 on: May 22, 2009, 03:11:50 AM »
The Big Lebowski

This is definitely a Marmite film. I think it's absolutely superb; first time, I scratched my head. Second time, it clicked. Probably on about the eigth time by now!

"or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing..."  :hysterical:

:hysterical: :laugh: :hysterical:

I knew I'd get a reaction from you Jon  :P

Seriously though, a whole film about a stolen rug being a fine comedy  :whistle:

:tomato:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 22, 2009, 06:18:46 AM »
Seriously though, a whole film about a stolen rug being a fine comedy  :whistle:
McGuffin. Hitchcock did it all the time.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #247 on: May 22, 2009, 10:20:51 AM »
I was also told from different sides what a great mivie this is and how quote-worthy and so on. I watched it about a year ago. Once. It was an OK comedy, but certainly no masterpiece and I can't remember any of the quotes.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Najemikon

« Reply #248 on: May 22, 2009, 08:59:43 PM »
I give Jon credit that he often has to say interesting things about uninteresting movies.  :P

I do recommend Robert Altman's The Long Goodbye as an antidote to the dude. The review is a little further down on the same page.

I'll take that, thank you! :hysterical: And The Long Goodbye is excellent, though I did find it a little flat in places. The ending is superb, distlled noir. And Arnie is in it... :P

McGuffin. Hitchcock did it all the time.

Well said that man.   ;D

I was also told from different sides what a great mivie this is and how quote-worthy and so on. I watched it about a year ago. Once. It was an OK comedy, but certainly no masterpiece and I can't remember any of the quotes.

"you're obviously not a golfer..." :dance:

richierich

« Reply #249 on: May 27, 2009, 11:06:14 AM »
W.

WHETHER YOU LOVE HIM OR HATE HIM, there is no question that George W. Bush is one of the most controversial public figures in recent memory. In an unprecedented undertaking, acclaimed director Oliver Stone brings the life of our 43rd President to the big screen as only he can. W. takes viewers through Bush's eventful life - his struggles and triumphs, how he found both his wife and his faith, and of course the critical days leading up to Bush's decision to invade Iraq.

This film reinforces a question that has bugged me for years, how did he ever get to be president of USA, and even worse run for two terms?? Who in their right mind would have voted for such a buffoon???
Quite a bland film that washes over you without making much impact, very little new revelations concerning Bush and his cohorts. Dreyfuss is particularly excellent as badboy Cheney, Brolin is a passable Bush albeit less oafish, but the rest of the cast look so unlike the actual characters it is unconvincing. Particularly bad were the portrayals of Rice and Blair, and Jeffrey Wrights portrayal of Powell made him sound like a pantomine Harlem barber.
There is amazingly just one mention of the corrupt way this man came to power, and scant regard to explaining some of the reasons why he took such disastrous decisions through his terms. It is more concentrated on the relationship he had with his parents, wife, and his early years shown through flashbacks.
This film is too kind to what history may view as one of the worst fools ever to hold power, it is surprisingly muted and made you feel it was dumbed down to hide some frightening truths about the man who forced his countries men and women into unjust wars
 :-\

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 11:09:17 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #250 on: May 27, 2009, 11:14:43 AM »
Sirens

Sexy and spirited, this endearingly funny comedy has captivated moviegoers everywhere!  The charming Hugh Grant (Four Weddings And A Funeral) plays an idealistic young minister on a mission.  He must tame the wicked ways of a notorious artist (Sam Neill – Jurassic Park), whose nude paintings of his beautiful models (including sexy supermodel Elle Macpherson) scandalize the nation!  Intent on delivering salvation, the repressed reverend and his wife instead are led into temptation by their playfully seductive hosts and sensuous new surroundings!  Enchantingly sexy fun from beginning to end – you too will find the allure of Sirens irresistible!

Slow film which appeared to just have the intention of showing naked women, and occasionally some naked men, literally through the whole 90 minutes. Thin uninteresting plot typecasts Grant again as a bumbling handsome innocent, and Neill yet again in a totally undemanding role.
There is slight charm involved with the awakening of innocence, but in truth this movie is worth forgetting.
 :yawn:

richierich

« Reply #251 on: May 27, 2009, 11:24:40 AM »
Pleasantville

When '90's teens David and Jennifer (Tobey Maguire, The Ice Storm, Reese Witherspoon, Freeway) get zapped into the perfect suburbia of the black & white '50's sitcom, Pleasantville, what results is a "visionary adventure" (Peter Travers, Rolling Stone) that Siskel and Ebert give "Two big thumbs up!"
Pleasantville's perfect people include a mild-mannered soda jerk (Jeff Daniels, Dumb and Dumber), a socially repressed mom (Joan Allen, Face/Off) and a father who always knows best (William H. Macy, Fargo). But, when '90's pop culture clashes with '50's family values, chaos ensues, turning the town of Pleasantville upside down and black and white into color.

Totally enjoyed this quirky feature film, it was amusing, original, visually effective with the B&W/Colour mixing and challenging all in one. Tobey Macguire and Reese Witherspoon have perfect chemistry as brother and sister, and are well supported by the likes of Macy and Daniels.
The cinematography is sublime, special effects very impressive in an Indie film, the storyline entertaining and thought-provoking.
I would expect most serious movie fans to have this in their collections.
 ;D

richierich

« Reply #252 on: May 27, 2009, 11:37:23 AM »
Australia

Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman join forces with visionary director Baz Luhrmann in Australia, an epic and romantic action adventure set on the brink of World War II. When an English aristocrat (Nicole Kidman) travels to this faraway continent, she meets rough-hewn cattle driver (Hugh Jackman) and an enchanting aboriginal child (Brandon Walters). This unlikely trio joins forces and embarks on a transforming journey, driving a herd of cattle across hundreds of miles of the world's most beautiful, yet unforgiving, terrain. When their world is torn apart by powerful enemies, they must try to find each other amidst the bombing of the city of Darwin by the Japanese forces that attacked Pearl Harbor. With this new film, director Baz Luhrmann is painting on a vast canvas, creating a cinematic experience that brings together comedy, romance, drama, adventure and spectacle.

An epic film but seriously in need of a trim. At Slightly under 3 hours, it becomes hard work to sit through, and it could have comfortably had some narrative cutting without affecting the storyline. Nicole Kidman's upper class English lady act is enjoyable, and Jackman is just ok as Drover. The real star of the show is the Aboriginal boy they foster, Nullah played by Brandon Walters, who was absolutely terrific.
This is a very well directed film with startling scenery. However, it felt like 2 films sewn together, and at times the movie drifts into some very dull and unnecessary plot diversions. It isn't quite a 'blockbuster', but the portrayal of how Westerners treated Aboriginees in those days (right up to the early 70's) is probably the most frank and honest I have seen before.

richierich

« Reply #253 on: May 27, 2009, 11:40:47 AM »
Pride and Glory

Four cops down: two dead, two likely. An NYPD drug bust has gone horribly wrong, and Detective Ray Tierney heads the investigating task force. He already has ties to the case. His brother was commander of the ambushed officers. His brother-in-law, a fellow officer, often partnered with them. The more Ray uncovers, the more those family ties are tested. And the more the fraternal order starts to fray. Edward Norton, Colin Farrell, Jon Voight and Noah Emmerich star in a gritty, tension-packed tale of a multigenerational family of cops facing hard realities and tough cohices. Set and filmed in Manhattan's Washington Heights, Pride and Glory  draws you into a grippingly raw real world... and into a house divided.

Disappointing and unoriginal thriller, this family of cops facing corruption etc has been done to death, and a darned site better too.
The camerawork during the film is a disaster, shaky shots, spinning around, and zooming all around the place made it feel like the cameraman must be epileptic, and was difficult to follow. Despite some great actors involved, there are no stand out performances, primarily due to a weak script and overly long production. The direction is awful, swearing pointlessly excessive and the violence extreme for no apparent reasoning.
The ending
(click to show/hide)
was totally ridiculous, and the film overall is a total mess and I would never recommend it.
 :yawn:

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 05:37:25 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #254 on: May 28, 2009, 05:39:17 PM »
Empire of the Sun

Steven Spielberg's 'Empire Of The Sun', based on the autobiographical novel by J.G. Ballard, stars Christian Bale as Jim Graham, a British schoolboy separated from his upper-class colonial parents when the Japanese sweep into Shanghai during World War II. Temporarily orphaned, Jim attaches himself to Basie (John Malkovich), a fast-talking American opportunist determined make a buck off the spoils of war. Later, when the two are interned in a prison camp, Jim's boyish fantasies are fueled by the grace and daring of the Japanese fighter pilots whom he comes to idolise despite their enemy status. Spielberg's visually spectacular wartime epic is a testimony to the human will to survive and a child's ability to find wonder even in the midst of horror. Thirteen-year-old Welsh actor Christian Bale is brillant as Jim in his feature film debut. Spielberg himself identified more with Jim, a boy who is obsessed with flying and who experiences the death of his innocence, than with E.T.'s Elliott. After a year of negotiations with the Chinese, Spielberg and his crew were allowed to film in Shanghai, which was virtually unchanged since World War II.

A must watch epic, with superb characterisation, an emotional storyline, and a young Christian Bale showing immense early talent.
Glimpse into the world of yesteryear, and uniquely view a war through a childs eyes.
With Stoppards magnificent screenplay Spielberg crafted a masterpiece, and at todays low dvd prices which you can pick this up for there is no excuse not to proudly own it.
 :thumbup:

« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 09:42:01 AM by Rich »