Author Topic: Dragonfire: What I've Been Watching  (Read 92626 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: What I've Been Watching
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 12:33:07 AM »
It is a bit silly at times, but it's entertaining.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 03:18:05 AM »

Get ready to lose your heart – and your bank account – to a couple of sexy sirens in this "vastly enjoyable comedy" ('People' Magazine)! With a "first-rate cast" ('The New York Times') that includes Sigourney Weaver, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Ray Liotta, Jason Lee and Oscar® winner* Gene Hackman, this hilarious laugh-riot is "smart and funny" (Joel Siegel, "Good Morning America")!

When it comes to conning millionaires, Page Conners (Hewitt) and her mother Max (Weaver) are real pros. Max lures them to the altar, then Page leads them into temptation...and a hefty divorce settlement! Now they're about to strike gold with the ultimate sting: a wealthy, wheezing tobacco tycoon (Hackman). But before they can seal the deal, Page breaks the cardinal rule of the con and falls in love! Now Max must convince Page to hold on to her heart 'and' the tobacco fortune...or lose the best partner in crime she'll ever have!

My Thoughts

I've seen this one a few times and I still enjoy it.  Paige did annoy me at times with her attitude, but it wasn't so bad that it interfered with my enjoyment of the movie.  Some of what was going on was extremely silly, but I still thought it worked and made an entertaining movie.  I did think some things were very funny.  This isn't a movie that will appeal to everyone, though I suppose some may enjoy seeing Jennifer Love Hewitt strut around in in the tight, skimpy outfits that she looked ready to pop out of. :)

;D

I did post a review of this movie on Epinions a few years ago if anyone wants to take a look.
Heartbreakers

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 01:26:46 AM »

Lift off with high-speed, high-flying action in this Ultimate 2-disc Edition that takes you inside the suit of Marvel's invincible Super Hero for the ultimate 'Iron Man' experience!

After surviving an unexpected attack in enemy territory, jet-setting industrialist Tony Stark builds a high-tech suit of armor and vows to protect the world as 'Iron Man'. Straight from the pages of the legendary comic book, 'Iron Man' is a hero who is built - not born - to be unlike any other!

My Thoughts

I love this movie.  I've now watched it 3 times since I got the DVD.  It is just such a fun, entertaining superhero movie.  Robert Downey Jr. was great in the part.  The movie worked very well to set up how Tony became Iron Man and how that set off some changes in his personal life.  I'm already looking forward to seeing the next movie as well as the several other Marvel superhero movies that are scheduled over the next several years.

:thumbup:

I posted a review on Epinions back in May after seeing the movie in the theater if anyone wants to take a look.
Iron Man

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 01:29:41 AM »
I just watched it a couple days ago... and I already been tempted to watch it again myself! Excellent movie!
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 01:42:21 AM »
I watched it the second time the day after I watched it the first time on DVD.  And I saw it twice in the theater too. :)  Great movie.  The extras - I got the 2 disc version - are really interesting too.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2009, 01:50:40 AM »
I got the 2 disc version too... but haven't had the chance to pop in the second disc yet.
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 01:55:21 AM »

The follow-up to Batman Begins, The Dark Knight reunites director Christopher Nolan and star Christian Bale, who reprises the role of Batman/Bruce Wayne in his continuing war on crime. With the help of Lt. Jim Gordon and District Attorney Harvey Dent, Batman sets out to destroy organized crime in Gotham for good. The triumvirate proves effective. But soon the three find themselves prey to a rising criminal mastermind known as The Joker, who thrusts Gotham into anarchy and forces Batman closer to crossing the fine line bewtween hero and vigilante. Heath Ledger stars as archvillian The Joker, and Aaron Eckhart plays Dent. Maggie Gyllenhall joins the cast as Rachel Dawes. Returning from Batman Begins are Gary Oldman as Gordon, Michael Caine as Alfred and Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox.

My Thoughts

This was an absolutely wonderful movie and shows just how good a superhero movie can be.  They don't have to just be mindless action movies with someone running around wearing a mask.  Not that I don't like a lot of the other superhero movies too..but this one was just on a different level in every way.  The story was wonderful and everything worked together well.  The characters and cast were wonderful.  The  movie had a dark tone, but that was needed for the material to be dealt with properly.  I had a feeling that a few things were going to happen before I first saw the movie, but there were several surprises and I wouldn't call the movie predictable at all.  The one minor issue I had was that I felt the...resolution to what was going on with Harvey seemed just a bit rushed.  I think it would have been interesting if that had been saved for the next movie, which would have allowed the character to evolve and develop more.

I absolutely loved Heath Ledger as the Joker.  He took a fairly well known character and made it his own.  His version was completely different from every other Joker I've seen and I think so much better than too.  Ledger's Joker makes Nicholson's Joker look like a goofy guy playing dress up.  For me, not only was Ledger the best Joker, he was the best villain from a superhero movie and one of the best movie villains in general.  I truly feel this is one of the best movies of 2008 and it is one of my favorites.

I posted a review on Epinions after seeing the movie in the theater back in July - the movie was amazing on the big screen - if anyone wants to take a look.

The Dark Knight

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2009, 01:57:16 AM »
I got the 2 disc version too... but haven't had the chance to pop in the second disc yet.

The things on the making of the movie were really interesting..I think you'll enjoy them once you have the chance to check them out.  There was all kinds of stuff shared..the development of the suits and effects..the looks of things.  I think it is worth watching, especially for people who really enjoyed the movie.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2009, 07:05:03 AM »

In this "blazing, cinematic comic book" ('Variety'), Arnold Schwarzenegger is "perfectly cast" ('Los Angeles Times') as the fiercest and most relentless killing machine ever to threaten the survival of mankind! From the Oscar®-winning* director of 'Titanic', this "fast-paced, cleverly conceived, rip-roaring action adventure" ('Boxoffice') fires an arsenal of thrills, intriguing plot twists and heart-stopping suspense that "never lets up for a minute" (Leonard Maltin)!

In 2029, giant super-computers dominate the planet, hell-bent on exterminating the human race! And to destroy man's future by changing the past, they send an indestructible cyborg - a Terminator - back in time to kill Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton), the woman whose unborn son will become mankind's only hope. But can Sarah protect herself from this unstoppable menace to save the life of her unborn child? Or will the human race be extinguished by "one mean hunk of mutant metal" ('L.A. Herald-Examiner')?

My Thoughts

I decided that I wanted to watch the Terminator movies before I got started on Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.  I only recently added this one to my collection and this was the first time in years that I watched it.  I still enjoyed the movie, though a few things, especially the music, did seem dated.  Arnold did well as the Terminator.  He was believable as a machine..I'm not sure if that is a compliment or not.   :hysterical:  Anyway, the movie was very entertaining.  The violence wasn't too bad, though I still don't like the scene when the Terminator was doing a few repairs..that's just gross.

I just posted a review on Epinions if anyone wants to take a look. 

The Terminator

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2009, 07:11:51 AM »
Spies Like Us - I couldn't get the listing for it to load up in my page for my profiler for some reason.

Anyway..  I really like this one.  It is a bit silly, but it is very entertaining.  I think it is a good choice when I'm in the mood for something a bit silly or funny.  Chevy Chase and Dan Akyroyd were really good in the movie and worked well together.  A lot of the humor was a bit silly, but it worked for the plot of the movie and what was going on. 

;D

I posted a review of the movie on Epinions a while ago if anyone wants to take a look.

Spies Like Us

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 05:03:35 PM »
From your review on epinions.com

" I believe there are more special features on other versions of the DVD."
The version I own (UK MGM Special Edition (PAL/Zone 2)) is a 2 disk edition that had a lot of special features :

. Terminator - A retrospective
. "Other Voices" Documentary
. Deleted Scenes
. Trailers (Foreign, alternative and teaser)
. TV spots
. James Cameron's artwork stills
. Production photography
. Sam Winston photography
. Visual effects photography
. Publicity materials
. Original treatment script

DVD-Rom Special features
. 1983 4th draft script
. Final shooting script

If you are equipped for reading every zone dvd (who isn't? It's so easy) this is the version to own.

Najemikon

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2009, 07:54:43 PM »

The version I own (UK MGM Special Edition (PAL/Zone 2)) is a 2 disk edition that had a lot of special features :

If you are equipped for reading every zone dvd (who isn't? It's so easy) this is the version to own.

Oh no it's not! ;)

For two reasons. Number 1, it is one of only two DVDs I have that has suffered DVD rot and been rendered unplayable*; Number 2 (and this is the proper reason) it was superseded by one of MGMs "Ultimate Editions" which I managed to get very cheap (Current price isn't bad) to replace the rotting carcass of the previous version.

And those titles earn the "Ultimate" name. The quality is superb. As you know I have now got a Blu-Ray player and a FBT. I watched my UT Silence of the Lambs and can honestly say, it's a Blu-Ray Killer. Don't get me wrong, Blu would be better, but these titles are much better than standard DVD so there's no need.

*- don't tell anyone but I managed to trade in my dodgy copy at Blockbuster. Only got £1.50, but that's £1.50 for a pile of shit so I'm not complaining!

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
it is one of only two DVDs I have that has suffered DVD rot and been rendered unplayable
No problem with my copy, just lucky I guess or they have produce a new batch.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2009, 10:35:21 PM »

. Terminator - A retrospective
. "Other Voices" Documentary
. Deleted Scenes
. Trailers (Foreign, alternative and teaser)
. TV spots
. James Cameron's artwork stills
. Production photography
. Sam Winston photography
. Visual effects photography
. Publicity materials

DVD-Rom Special features
. 1983 4th draft script
. Final shooting script

My copy doesn't have all that..mine is just a single disc version and there are some DVD-ROM things, but I haven't checked them out to see what they are.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2009, 02:49:13 AM »

Skynet, the 21st century computer waging a losing war on humans sends a second terminator back in time to destroy the leader of the human resistance while he is still a boy. His mother is the only one who knows of the existence of the Terminators, human-like robots that exist only to kill and are nearly indestructible, and Sarah, the boy's mother is currently in a state mental hospital because of her 'delusions'. A second protector is sent back to the past by the Human resistance to protect John Connor, their future leader, at all costs.

My Thoughts

I saw this one when it was first released in the theater - I actually won tickets to an early screening from a local radio station. Anyway, I enjoyed the movie then and I still like it.  It has been a while since I last saw it, so I had forgotten a few small things.  For a while I was thinking that I had forgotten whole scenes and sequences, then I remembered that my DVD had 16 or 17 extra minutes added back into the movie.  Some of those minutes did help to add some explanations while others didn't seem as...important.  I liked that Arnold's Terminator had been reprogrammed to protect John.  The new Terminator..T-1000 I think was really cool, especially the whole liquid metal shape changing thing.  Of course that made him harder to kill..but it was still cool.  The action scenes were done well and helped to keep things interesting.  I remember being surprised by how...buff Sarah was in this movie.  It was almost like she was trying to give Arnold some competition in the muscle department.  lol

I watched 2 short extras on the making of the movie..the first one had lots of interesting stuff on how the effects were done.  It was talked about how the liquid metal thing built on what had been done in The Abyss.  There are more extras that can only be accessed through the DVD-ROM, which I haven't checked out yet.  I do really like the movie.  It is a very well done action movie.

I've started working on a longer review to post at Epinions, but it isn't done yet.