Author Topic: Dragonfire: What I've Been Watching  (Read 92628 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Dragonfire: What I've Been Watching
« on: December 29, 2008, 01:56:46 AM »
I thought I'd start a place to share what I've been watching when the movies don't fit in with one of the marathons going on here.
I will probably talk more about some movies than others..I've been known to do that with the reviews I posted on Epinions too.  :)

I'll use the emotes for rating

:thumbup:  = Excellent
 ;D  = now that was quite good
 :D  = I enjoyed it
 :-\  = not really bad, but not good either
 :yawn:  = boring
 :yucky:  = bad or worse
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 10:10:36 AM by DJ Doena »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: What I've Been Watching
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 01:59:35 AM »

Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother) stars as Billy, A.K.A. Dr. Horrible, a budding super-villain whose plans for world domination continually go awry. His two goals: getting accepted into the Evil League of Evil, and working up the guts to speak to his laundromat crush Penny, played by Felicia Day (The Guild). The only thing standing in his way is Captain Hammer, Billys superhero arch-nemesis played by Nathan Fillion (Firefly). With one big score, Billy could get into the E.L.E. and earn the respect of Penny, but only if he can keep her away from the dashing Captain Hammer. . .

My Thoughts

I absolutely loved this.  I've already watched it twice, plus I listened to both commentaries.  I really love Whedon, though he had really upset me at times with how he kills off characters, but I still keep watching his stuff.  He just comes up with such entertaining things and makes such great characters that I can't stay away.  I also really like superhero movies and musicals...so of course I had to see this.  Who else would do a musical about a super villain and make is so good on a very limited budget?  The plot was interesting and entertaining and all the songs were great.  I didn't think it was predictable either.  Something happened that did sort of surprise yet didn't surprise me at the same time.  It's hard to fully explain without giving away too much, so I won't say more about that..but anyone that has seen this will probably know what I am referring to.

:thumbup:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 02:05:23 AM »

Get ready for outrageous fun in Disney's 102 Dalmatians. It's a brand-new, hilarious adventure, starring the audacious Oddball, the spotless Dalmatian puppy on a search for her rightful spots, and Waddlesworth, the wisecracking, delusional macaw who thinks he's a Rottweiler. Barking mad, this unlikely duo leads a posse of puppies on a mission to outfox the wildly wicked, ever-scheming, Cruella DeVil. Filled with chases, close calls, hilarious antics and thrilling escapes all the way from London through the streets of Paris – and a Parisian bakery – this adventure-packed tale is wacky good fun your entire family will want to howl over again and again.

My Thoughts

This is an entertaining movie, though it wasn't as good as 101 Dalmatians (1996).  Glenn Close was still great as Cruella, but too many things seemed to resort to silliness..excessive silliness.  It also seemed a bit odd to me that Roger and Anita weren't around or even mentioned, yet one of the puppies was back as an adult dog with a new owner.  Waddlesworth was cute with how he thought he was a dog.  This was a decent family movie, though the fact that Cruella wanted to make a coat out of puppies again could be upsetting to younger children.  Cruella herself might be a bit scary at times to some children as well.

:D

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 02:11:16 AM »

Legs waxed. Lips glossed. Gun ready. FBI Agent Gracie Hart is going undercover as a hopeful eager to be the next Miss United States. But Gracie doesn't have a beauty-pageant bone in her body.

Sandra Bullock gets physical in 'Miss Congeniality', bringing her powerhouse talent for physical comedy to the role of an operative posing as a pageant contestant in order to ferret out a terrorist targeting the event. Michael Caine deliciously plays the frustrated consultant hired to turn the FBI's Dirty Harriet into a poised beauty. And Benjamin Bratt, Candice Bergen, William Shatner and Ernie Hudson also score points for hilarity in this box-office smash. From big laughs to sly quips, 'Miss' hits.

My Thoughts

I love this movie and have watched it many times.  This was actually one of the first DVDs I got.  This type of comedy is what Sandra Bullock does best and it would be nice if she did it more often.  How Gracie was trying to fit in at the pageant was really funny.  Vic, the guy who was helping her act like a pageant contestant, was really funny.  There was also a bit of action added in and the end of the pageant was hilarious.  Unfortunately, the sequel wasn't that great.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 02:14:48 AM »

Honored with legions of critical acclaim, Disney's 36th animated masterpiece magically transforms an ancient Chinese legend into unparalleled fun and adventure that comes along but once every dynasty!

Embraced for her lovable, spirited nature, Mulan is a young girl who doesn't quite fit into her tradition-bound society. When the invading Hun army comes charging over China's Great Wall, Mulan's aging father is ordered to battle! To spare him from harm, Mulan disguises herself as a soldier with a comical, ragtag troop, led by the courageous Captain Shang. Never far away are Mulan's hilarious guardian dragon, Mushu, and lucky cricket, Cri-Kee. But Mulan will need more than razor-sharp wit to defeat the ruthless Hun leader, Shan-Yu. Only by staying true to herself will she bring victory to her country and honor to her family!

Triumphant across all fronts, including unforgettable, chart-topping music and rich Disney animation featuring a spectacular fireworks display, Mulan is in the finest tradition "a total delight!" (Time)

My Thoughts

I saw this in the theater when it first came out and I still enjoy it.  The movie was fun and entertaining, but also had one of the stronger female characters.  I loved Mushu, though some might find him a little too silly or even annoying.  The movie also had some good songs.  I don't think this one has been as popular as some of the other Disney animated movies which is a shame since it is so good.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 02:18:36 AM »

One of Dr. Seuss' most beloved stories roars to life as never before in this enormous animated adventure that proves "a person's a person no matter how small."

A playful pachyderm named Horton becomes a reluctant hero when he discovers the microscopic city of Who-ville on a floating speck of dust and embarks on a hilarious adventure to save the town from the dangers of the jungle.

Featuring a who's who of superstar voice talent, including Jim Carrey, Steve Carell and Carol Burnett, this heartwarming hit comedy delivers loads of laughs and tons of fun for the whole family!

My Thoughts

I really enjoyed this movie and think it worked well as an animated movie.  The animation was very well done and full of bright vibrant colors making it look like the book came to life.  I did think the voices were done well and fit the characters.  Jim Carrey didn't seem to go as overboard as he has with some of his previous movies.  There were a few scenes that dragged just a bit..probably because some things had to be added to the original story to make it long enough for a movie.

;D

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 01:03:50 AM »

The call went out. The recruits came in. No longer would police cadets have to meet standards of height, weight and other requirements. Brains were optional too. Can't spell IQ? Don't know the number 911? No matter. Police Academy grads are ready to uphold law and disorder.

Building on a nightsticks-and-slapstick tradition going back to the Keystone Cops, Police Academy spawned 6 sequels plus 2 TV series (one animated, one live-action). Now the popular debut film calls for backup, adding arresting 20th-anniversary DVD extras. Join Mahoney (Steve Guttenberg), Thompson (Kim Cattrall), Harris (G.W. Bailey), Hightower (Bubba Smith), Jones (Michael Winslow), Lassard (George Gaynes) and more. They're not the Five-O. They're the Five Uh-Oh. They make the world a funnier place.

My Thoughts

This one is rather silly, but I think it is entertaining.  It's a good one to watch when I'm in the mood for something silly.  Lt. Harris usually cracks me up with the way he was acting and the little tricks that were played on him..though the best stuff with him happened in later movies.  There was nothing serious about the movie in any way and the movie is probably too silly for some viewers.

;D

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 01:08:05 AM »

This was one of the last movies I watched in 2008.

He's found his mojo, baby, and now Austin Powers (Mike Myers, 'Shrek') strikes gold in his newest 24-karat shagadelic comedy-adventure!

The "sshhh!" hits the fan when Dr. Evil and Mini-Me escape from prison. Joining forces with the superfreaky Goldmember, they kidnap Austin's father, master spy Nigel Powers (Oscar® winner* Michael Caine), in a dastardly time-travel scheme to take over the world. Before you can say "Shake Your Booty," Austin cruises to 1975 and teams up with sexy Foxxy Cleopatra (Beyoncé Knowles, R&B group Destiny's Child) to stop Dr. Evil and Goldmember from their mischievous mayhem.

With Michael York, Robert Wagner, Seth Green, Mindy Sterling and Verne J. Troyer.

*Michael Caine, 1999 Best Supporting Actor, 'The Cider House Rules'

My Thoughts

I did really like the first two Austin Powers movies, but I didn't like this one as well.  I still liked Austin and Dr. Evil fine..but I didn't like Goldmember at all.  He bothered me more than Fat Bastard did in the second movie.  I just can't stand the character.  I did like that Austin's dad was added in.  Foxxy Cleopatra was fine as a character, but I wasn't really impressed with Beyonce's acting.  I guess I just don't get her appeal overall.  Anyway, I did enjoy the movie overall even though I don't think it was as good as the first two.  I did think there was an interesting development or two...and it would have been interesting to follow those things further. 

:D

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 01:17:18 AM »

This is the last movie I watched in 2008.

Here is the murderously funny movie based on the world-famous Clue® board game. And now, with this special DVD version, you can see all 3 surprise endings! Was it Colonel Mustard in the study with a gun? Miss Scarlet in the billiard room with the rope? Or was it Wadsworth the butler? Meet all the notorious supects and discover all their foul play things. You'll love their dastardly doings as the bodies and the laughs pile up before your eyes!

Featuring all three surprise endings!!

My Thoughts

This is a really fun, entertaining movie.  I remember seeing the trailers when it came out and I thought it was really interesting that there were different endings..though I thought there were more than 3 at that time. With the DVD, you can choose to see all three endings or a random ending..it seems like whenever I pick a random ending, the same one always comes up.  The endings are all very different, yet they all work for the movie and what was going on.  I loved Tim Curry in this.

;D

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 03:16:51 AM »
Foxxy Cleopatra was fine as a character, but I wasn't really impressed with Beyonce's acting.  I guess I just don't get her appeal overall.

You're right, I don't understand her appeal either.

Oh, hang on. I remember now...  :devil:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 03:21:50 AM »
 :hysterical:

Ok...I guess I should have said that I see her appeal to men, but as a woman, she doesn't do squat for me. 

Najemikon

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 03:25:29 AM »

Ok...I guess I should have said that I see her appeal to men, but as a woman, she doesn't do squat for me. 

Well I hope she squ... no. I'm not touching that one.

:whistle:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 05:21:50 AM »

She doesn't appeal to me.  Is that better? lol

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 06:36:14 AM »

How does Bobby Bowfinger ('Steve Martin'), Hollywood's least successful director, get Kit Ramsey ('Eddie Murphy'), Hollywood's biggest star, in his ultra low-budget film? Any way he can. With an ingenious scheme and the help of Kit's eager and nerdy brother Jiff, an ambitious and sexy wannabe ('Heather Graham') and an over-the-hill diva ('Christine Baranski'), Bowfinger sets out to trick Kit Ramsey into the performance of a lifetime. Enjoy the fun with Eddie Murphy and Steve Martin - together for the first time in the hit comedy 'BOWFINGER'.

My Thoughts

I really like this movie.  I saw it in the theater when it came out and I've watched this DVD several times since I got it.  I think the whole idea for the plot is very interesting and made for an entertaining movie.  All the things that Bowfinger kept coming up with to get scenes was very funny.  I thought that Steve Martin and Eddie Murphy were really good in the movie.  This is basically the only movie that I've seen Heather Graham in where she didn't irritate me at least a little bit. 

I did post a review of this movie on Epinions if anyone wants to take a look.

Bowfinger

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 12:12:02 PM »
I think I really need to give that one another try. I blind bought it when it was first released on DVD... and even though it was ok... I really didn't get into it. And haven't watched it since. But it may be time to give it another chance.
Pete