Author Topic: 25 Days of Christmas  (Read 57256 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: 25 Days of Christmas
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2008, 03:53:08 PM »

Miracle on 34th Street
Miracle on 34th Street is an irresistible fable that has, for many, become synonymous with celebrating Christmas.

The holiday season is in full swing when a cultured gentleman with twinkling eyes, an ample belly, and a snowy beard (Edmund Gwenn) is hired as Macy's department store Santa. He claims his name is Kris Kringle, and soon fills everyone with Christmas spirit - except for his boss, Doris Walker (Maureen O'Hara), who's raising her daughter Susan (Natalie Wood) to not believe in Santa. But when Kris is declared insane and put on trial, everyone's faith is put to the test as old and young alike face the age old question: Do you believe in Santa Claus?

An Academy Award® winner (1947) for Best Supporting Actor (Edmund Gwenn), Best Original Story and Best Screenplay, this timeless tale of faith, love and imagination remains one of the most popular and best-loved holiday films of all time.

My Thoughts:
A few years ago a good friend of mine (Thanks again Roger!) gave me this movie. At the time I never seen this movie before. Now this is my third viewing of the movie... and I am enjoying it more with every viewing. This is a true holiday classic! This is one of the very few movies that I don't see a way that it could be any better. If you never seen this classic '40s Christmas movie... You should be sure to watch it as soon as possible... I don't believe you will be sorry. I highly recommend it!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2008, 04:04:23 PM »
Pete! Is this it? Your first five star movie review? Thank goodness it deserves it!  :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2008, 04:42:51 PM »
 :laugh: How come I had a feeling you would reply Jon?  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2008, 09:37:44 PM »

Veronica Mars: Season 1 - An Echoll's Family Christmas
California Hold 'em. Weevil's the big winner at Logan Echolls' poker party but the $5,000 pot disappears. Keith attends the Echolls' swank Christmas party to discover who's been stalking Logan's father.

My Thoughts:
This is a good episode. Of course Veronica's mystery was the more interesting mystery to watch. I really didn't find myself caring too much about the mystery Keith was working on. But either way a good show... well worth watching.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

richierich

« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2008, 11:38:24 AM »
7/12

House - s3 - Merry little christmas

Wilson arranges for House to make a deal with Tritter, but House refuses. Meanwhile, Cuddy cuts House off Vicodin and removes him from the team's case: a 15-year-old little person who entered the hospital with a collapsed lung and anemia.

An incredibly dark episode, seeing House having to try and fight his drug addiction is brutal, and risking a childs life in the process. I can't say too much more without giving series plot away, but this is a memorable episode, however not one to watch if you are wishing to see a cheery xmas showing.
 ;D

richierich

« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2008, 11:45:49 AM »
8/12

absolutely fabulous - gay

A further instalment in the lives of Patsy, who now has her own concept fashion store, and Edina, who has found out that her son, Serge, is gay...

Disappointing xmas special, rather mundane and slow, written after the best scripts had been developed. Tiresome worshipping of the typecast Goldberg, who really had no part of the special but appears on the cover, clearly looking to break into USA market.
Pass this one by  :-\
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 10:28:56 AM by Rich »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2008, 12:12:28 AM »

The Santa Clause 2
Walt Disney Pictures presents an all-new comedy adventure overflowing with holiday cheer. Tim Allen reappears in 'Santa Clause 2' , the hilarious sequel to everybody's holiday favorite. Scott Calvin (Allen) has been Santa for the past 8 years, and his loyal elves consider him the best one ever. But Scott's got problems. His son Charlie landed on this year's "naughty" list, and if Scott doesn't marry before Christmas Eve - one very, very short month away - he'll stop being Santa forever. Embracing Chrsitmas and the magic of family with heart, warmth, fun and charm, 'Santa Clause 2' is classic holiday entertainment everybody will enjoy again and again.

My Thoughts:
This is a fun sequel. I enjoyed it quite a bit... though it isn't as good as the first part. I liked the whole storyline... making him get a wife and all. I just didn't care much for the fake "Toy Santa" part of it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

richierich

« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2008, 10:36:02 AM »
8/12

preacher's wife

In this updating of 1947's "The Bishop's Wife," a Baptist preacher unknowingly pays too much attention to his congregation, and not enough to his dedicated wife and son. Enter Dudley, a flirtatious, sharp-dressed angel, to help the couple build a new church and, not incidentally, reignite their marriage. Academy Award Nominations: Best Original Musical or Comedy Score.

A total blind buy but bought for the cast list, it was surprisingly good and a perfect uplifting xmas story. My preconception was that it would be about an illicit affair, and it was headed that way at the beginning, but with a very well-written and thoughtful twist everything turns out fine.
Brilliantly produced parody on all things spiritual and with a genuinely meaningful moral undercurrent, it is definately a keeper.  ;D

richierich

« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2008, 10:39:23 AM »
9/12

Only Fools And Horses - Sleepless In Peckham

After twenty-two years in Nelson Mandela Towers, the Trotters are in desperate need of some cash as they face eviction. Meanwhile, an old photograph is uncovered of Freddy the Frog, the Raffles of Peckham, who shares an uncanny likeness with Rodney.

One of my favourite christmas specials, explores the characters deeper than usual episodes, without losing the typical cockney and sharp witted humour we all love.   ;D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 10:19:45 AM by Rich »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2008, 07:48:08 PM »

Veronica Mars: Season 2 - One Angry Veronica
Christmas is anything but holly jolly this year. Veronica pulls jury duty on a case that sparks confrontation in the jury room.

My Thoughts:
Even though this is a good episode... Christmas is no more then a backdrop for it. It is barely mentioned other then a couple short scenes. But it was still enjoyable watching Veronica Mars do her thing as Jury Foreman.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2008, 10:30:29 PM »

The Man in the Fallout Shelter - Bones Season 1

The team is quarantined and must remain in the lab over Christmas when the examination of a corpse trips the building's biohazard system.

My Thoughts

I really enjoyed this episode.  The characters were fairly established by this point, though there were still a few new things shared about some of the characters, like Booth having a son and a little more about things from Bones's past.  Of course there was also showing who Angela's father was.  I really liked how everyone but Bones was trying to make it like Christmas in the lab with decorating and making presents.  I loved the tree that Angela did with that holographic thingy - course I've also thought the other stuff she's done with that have been cool too.  It was interesting to learn a bit more about Bones and her past, but it would have been nice if she was a bit more...accepting of the others wanting to celebrate.  She was a little..condescending at times when saying that things related to Christmas didn't make sense and she was truly puzzled by things.  Once more of her past came out, it made more sense why she was..well..basically a Scrooge.

;D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2008, 02:26:16 AM »

Picket Fences: Season 1 - Pageantry
The townspeople are livid when they discover that a woman schoolteacher, who is also supposed to play Mary in the upcoming Christmas pageant, is a transexual.

My Thoughts:
OMG... this must be one of the most preachy, self-righteous shows that was ever created... but even so it is still so very addictive at the same time. It is one of those shows I hate myself for enjoying so much! But I blame it on the fact that a young Holly Marie Combs is in it... yeah... that's it... that is my story and I am sticking to it! Even though Holly Marie Comb's part was fairly limited in this episode... she did make a strong appearance. I really liked how in the end it was the children standing up to the adults that did the trick. Yes... there is times when you can learn something from your kids.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2008, 11:20:35 PM »

Picket Fences: Season 1 - High Tidings
The day before Christmas is anything but jolly after Brock catches his daughter having sex; Kimberly's birthmother, Sheriff Brock's first wife, arrives. An angry and delusional Santa Claus takes Max and Ginny hostage.

My Thoughts:
This is one of the first shows I ever seen do 2 Christmas episodes within one season. I liked this one a little more then I did the last one... but that could be because it has more Holly Marie Combs in it! Still a preachy show?.... yes! But in this case I think I would have reacted much like the father on this show did. I couldn't imagine walking in on my daughter having sex... I definitely would have went off! I probably would have hurt the boy... and spent Christmas in jail.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2008, 02:23:24 AM »

Tru Calling: Season 2 - 'Twas the Night Before Christmas...Again
Harrison suspects his father is having an affair only to catch him meeting with Jack Harper, and Tru reluctantly allows Jack to help her after an old cadaver asks for help.

My Thoughts:
Anyone that knows me for a while knew I would watch this episode before the month was over. I absolutely loved this series when it was on... and even now... after watching this episode this evening... part of me is still pissed over the way FOX canceled this series!

As for the episode itself... I enjoyed every second of it! It is one of my favorite episodes of the series. It really opened up the possibilities for the series to continue on to a lot of interesting places. I liked how they did things a little differently with this episode... what with no one being able to be saved from dying Tru and Jack was able to actually work together to help someone. I also liked how everyone... friends and enemies... got together for a Christmas get together at the very end... where we find out some very interesting stuff! What a shame we didn't get the chance to see how it would have continued.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2008, 10:26:15 AM »
 :-X