Author Topic: Samsung LCD 40 inch  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Samsung LCD 40 inch
« on: October 13, 2008, 09:59:22 PM »
I think it is finally time for me to switch from my CRT 21" (55cm) to a LCD 40" (102cm) TV. I already have ordered a new DVD Player which supports "Full HD" upscaling.

I currently have my eye on a Samsung Series 6 TV. To be more precise, this one.
Does anybody have experience with this one? Can you recommend it or another one?

Here some helper, for what my main focus is:
  • Picture quality for HD media is of course very important. I plan to buy a BluRay player the next few months
  • My many DVDs should have a good picture quality. Upscaling DVD Player is already ordered.
  • I seldomly watch regular TV. I usually only watch my DVDs (and later also BluRay). I have enough to choose from to have need for regular TV ;)
  • Audio will come from another source, not the TV
  • I do not have any game console and do not plan on getting one. Only if I decide to get a PS3 as a BluRay player, but I still will not be willing to spend money on any game. I do not have time for it. It would cut into my movie time :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 10:04:03 PM by Tom »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Samsung LCD 40 inch
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 06:31:12 AM »
I don't have experience with the Samsung (I own a Sharp) but I remember reading it's definetly one of the better brands.

Updacaling is well worth the money. I once did a comparison between my two DVD players and the upscaled image is really substantially better. I do wonder though why you think you need and upscaling player now and then a Blu-ray player soon. :headscratch: Wouldn't it be more cost effective to buy the Blu-ray player right now? I bought an upscaling player, but only because my PS3 is region coded for DVDs...

With a 40" full HD LCD screen you will watch even less TV than you do now; the TV image gets really ugly when stretched too much. Not a loss really, though, I suppose. And for news it doesn't really matter, does it?

I agree that gaming time definitely cuts into your movie time :laugh: (still enjoy my gaming time just as much, heck, some games feel like you are reenacting a movie).

lyonsden5

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 02:20:12 PM »
No experience with that one but my son, brother and father each own Samsung HDTVs and they all like them as well as have had good luck with them.

Gonna be quite a switch  :thumbup:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 05:19:43 PM »
I do wonder though why you think you need and upscaling player now and then a Blu-ray player soon. :headscratch: Wouldn't it be more cost effective to buy the Blu-ray player right now? I bought an upscaling player, but only because my PS3 is region coded for DVDs...

I am a little hesitant to buy a BluRay player now. As far as I know, there aren't any yet, which can be made region-free and the labels are now beginning to use region coding for BluRays.
Also my current DVD Player had also a Dolby Digital Decoder and I found a nice offer which now can replace my old player. A DVD player with DD decoder (and ProLogic which my current one didn't have), upscaling and optical audio input, which can be used to connect a future BluRay player.

If I wouldn't have done it this way, I would have needed a BluRay player which has an integrated DD decoder and regionfree DVD capability. And what I have heard, the only decent BluRay player currently available is the PS3, which is not an option for me because of above reasons.

I will take a look at the Samsung model in a shop today. If I like it, I will probably order it today :)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 11:36:36 PM »
I just ordered it  :thundergod:

Damn internet for making it so easy rushing into spending so much money at once  :suicide:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 11:14:01 PM »
The TV has already been shipped today :)

And my new DVD Player is waiting at the post office for me to get it to its new home  ;D