Author Topic: Month-Long Horror/Halloween Marathon  (Read 135394 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Month-Long Horror/Halloween Marathon
« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2007, 01:44:22 PM »

Title: The Omen (2006)
Movie Count: 50
TV Ep Count: 17
Time Started: 5:30am
Plot:
In this "truly terrifying film" ('E!') man's darkest fears are manifested as an unspeakable horror is unleashed on the world! U.S. diplomat Robert Thorn (Liev Schrieiber) substitutes his own stillborn baby in order to spare his unknowing wife (Julia Stiles). But after a series of grotesque murders and dire warnings, the Thorns come to the chilling realization that their child is the son of Satan!

My Thoughts:
This is the first time I ever seen this movie... but I always enjoyed the original version. Unfortunately it has been a long time (years) since I watched the original version... so I don't really remember it all that well to be able to compare the two. This is really a slow paced horror movie. Though I do have to admit I loved the death of the photographer. The death scene for the priest was pretty cool as well.  I did enjoy this remake... but I also think it could have been better. I would say it is above average. I would rate this one at about 7 out of 10.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2007, 05:19:44 PM »

Title: The Grudge
Movie Count: 51
Time Started: 8:30am
Plot:
Sarah Michelle Gellar (TV’s "Buffy The Vampire Slayer") stars as an American nurse who has come to work in Tokyo. Following a series of horrifying and mysterious deaths, she encounters the vengeful supernatural spirit that possesses its victims, claims their souls, then passes its curse to another person in a spreading chain of horror. Now, she must find a way to break this supernatural spell or become the next victim of an ancient evil that never dies, but forever lives to kill.

My Thoughts:
This is only the second time watching this movie... and it has been so long since the first time I went into this one not really remembering much at all about the movie. Which is the main reason I watched this one... because I want to watch Part 2 next... and needed to remind myself of part 1. This is a pretty good ghost story... I would say above average in my opinion... though it could have been better. I did enjoy watching it again.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2007, 07:50:24 PM »

Title: The Grudge 2
Movie Count: 52
Time Started: 11:30am
Plot:
When Aubrey Davis (Amber Tamblyn, TV's "Joan of Arcadia") learns her sister Karen (Sarah Michelle Gellar) has been hospitalized, she immediately flies to Tokyo. Once there, she learns her sister's horrifying story and discovers that the fatal supernatural curse has been unleashed. Now, as the grudge spreads across the world, a new host of unsuspecting victims are about to become infected by the force that can't be stopped - and won't be killed.

My Thoughts:
This one was a blind buy... but as I said... I did enjoy the first one so I felt safe picking up part 2... especially since I found it on sale for about $10.  Going into this one I was expecting something maybe almost as good as the first one. What I actually found was one that was better then the first one! Which is something you seldomly ever see.  I would recommend this one even if you were just slightly entertained by the first one... but I would not recommend skipping the first one and going straight to part 2... as it takes over right where the first one leaves off.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2007, 09:02:21 PM »
Pete, don't you explore foreign horror? The original Grudge is much better, though even that is only average for Japanese/Korean ghost stories. Ringu, Dark Water, The Eye... they're all great, you really should try them.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2007, 09:24:53 PM »
Pete, don't you explore foreign horror? The original Grudge is much better, though even that is only average for Japanese/Korean ghost stories. Ringu, Dark Water, The Eye... they're all great, you really should try them.

There is no use for me to watch most foreign horror... unless it is dubbed in English... as I have said in another thread a while back... I am an extremely slow reader... so I would have to pause the movie every few minutes to catch everything... which in turn would take away from the flow of the movie... in turn taking away any suspense that is built up in the movie. So I just pretty much stick with anything in the English language. But that gives me some foreign movies... like UK... Canadian... and a few other areas.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2007, 09:27:31 PM »

Title: See No Evil
Movie Count: 53
Time Started: 1:30pm
Plot:
 Seven feet tall. Four hundred pounds. A rusty steel plate screwed into his skull and razor-sharp fingernails that pluck out his victims' eyes. Reclusive psychopath Jacob Goodnight is holed up in the long abandoned Blackwell Hotel, until eight petty criminals show up for community service -- along with the cop who put a bullet in Jacob's head four years ago.

My Thoughts:
This is another one I got cheap through this month's huge horror movie sale. I went into this one not knowing what to expect... and ended up finding a very intense horror movie! This movie is just messed up.... I loved every minute of it... everything from the eye-gouging to the hook and chain he used to get most of his victims. I definitely recommend this movie to any horror fan!
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2007, 09:28:31 PM »
Pete,
There's a post on invelos you might be interested in: The Mew Retrocrush Top 100 Scary Movie Moments (and yes it is Mew!) :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2007, 01:59:53 PM »

Title: Final Destination
Movie Count: 54
Time Started: 6am
Plot:
His entire high-school class is going to Paris, but Alex Browning (Devon Sawa, 'Idle Hands') can't seem to shake his fear of flying. Once aboard the plane, he has a violently disruptive premonition which gets him and five of his classmates including Clear Rivers (Ali Larter, 'Varsity Blues', 'House On Haunted Hill') and Carter Horton (Kerr Smith, TV's "Dawson's Creek") kicked off the plane. As the students watch the plane depart, they witness the horrifying disaster that proves the deadly premonition true. Now having dodged death once, the terror begins in full as fate hunts them down one-by-one. Soon the five survivors will discover you can't cheat death in this bone-chillingly-suspenseful film that critics call "A first class edge of your seat thriller!" -Paul Wunder, WBAI

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I haven't watched in years... but one I have always enjoyed. It is a good, strong horror. I completely forgot that Tony Todd had a small role in this movie as the mortician. That was pretty cool to see. Anyway... this is a good horror on a great dvd release with lots of extras.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2007, 05:13:13 PM »

Title: Final Destination 2
Movie Count: 55
Time Started: 8am
Plot:
 It's a matter of life and death when eight strangers narrowly escape a catastrophic freeway accident. Only a young girl's premonition saved them all from a grisly end. But now that they have put a rift in death's design, there is a price to pay - and it's going to be painful.

My Thoughts:
Like the first one... I have not seen this movie in years... and another one I enjoyed a lot. I really liked how they tied everything with these new people in with the original movie. Showing that even though this is a new accident it is still because of the original plane explosion. Once again.... we have Tony Todd returning as the mortician that seems to know more about death then most people. Anyway... a really nice continuation to the original story on a good dvd release with many extras.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 19, 2007, 07:05:29 PM »

Title: Final Destination 3
Movie Count: 56
Time Started: 11:30am
Plot:
Strap yourself in for 'Final Destination 3.' The most terrifying thrill ride ever! After Wendy and her friends survive a deadly roller coaster ride, they start being killed in even more gruesome ways. Wendy realizes the nightmare isn't over.... Death has returned to finish the job. But can she convince the rest of her friends before it's too late?

My Thoughts:
I had to go ahead and finish up the trilogy didn't I? This is only the second time I ever watched this movie. In this one the death scenes are much more graphic.... and like the first 2 has some very creative kills as well. This has been a very strong trilogy... I have enjoyed all 3 movies very much... so much so that I would love to see a 4th movie made. Once again this DVD has plenty of extras to enjoy.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2007, 09:53:55 PM »

Title: Eyes of a Stranger
Movie Count: 57
Time Started: 2pm
Plot:
 A lovely blind and deaf teen reaches for a plate she just set aside. It's gone. She reaches again...and it's back in its original place. Someone is playing a cruel game with her. That someone is the serial killer terrorizing Miami in this shocker from the production company behind the original 'Friday the 13th'.

Making memorable movie debuts are Jennifer Jason Leigh ('Single White Female', 'Dolores Claiborne') as that impaired but not helpless girl, and Lauren Tewes ('The Love Boat') as her TV newscaster sister whose investigation inadvertently leads the killer (John DiSanti) to her home -- and a final sequence that will leave you breathless. Eye this 'Stranger' -- and experience face-to-face fear as few films deliver.

My Thoughts:
This one was a complete Blind Buy... never even heard of this movie before purchasing the "Twisted Terror Collection" boxset. This is what I would call more of a light horror... it played out more like a suspense/thriller... but also had a bit of gore in it as well. Another thing I noticed is this movie (which was made in 1981) has a real TV Movie feel to it... if it wasn't for the gore and the several scenes of nudity I would have guessed that this one was a TV Movie. It is a good movie... I would say above average. This DVD has absolutely no extras what so ever.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2007, 02:11:41 AM »

Title: The Tooth Fairy
Movie Count: 58
Time Started: 5:30pm
Plot:
Northern California, 1949: In the woods outside of a small town, a hideous witch lured children to her crumbling home where she stole their teeth, butchered their bodies, and cursed their souls to wander the earth forever. Decades later the house has been converted into a quaint country inn, but an untold evil remains: The witch's slumber has been disturbed, and her vengeful spirit seeks the violent slaughter of all who stay there. And for one eleven-year-old girl with a loose molar and an active imagination, the ultimate horror begins with a visit from THE TOOTH FAIRY.

My Thoughts:
Another one I have never seen before. It was a good movie.... but not a great movie. It is definitely worth watching... but at the same time I am glad I spent less then $10 for it. I would have probably been a little disappointed if I spent more then I did on it. One thing I liked about this one is that it was more then just a movie about a witch... it was also a movie about ghosts... ghosts that needed help to get rid of the witch so their souls could finally find peace. For those that don't like gore... be warned that this one has a few scenes of gore in it. So over-all I would say this is a solid (slightly) above average movie.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2007, 01:18:11 PM »

Title: Creepshow
Movie Count: 59
Time Started: 4:45am
Plot:
Two macabre masters - writer Stephen King and director George A. Romero - conjure up five shocking yarns, each a virtuoso exercise in ghouls-and-gags style of classic 50's horror comics. A murdered man emerges from the grave for Father's Day cake. A meteor's ooze makes everything... grow. A professor selects his wife as a snack for a crated creature. A scheming husband plants two lovers up to their necks in terror. A malevolent millionaire with an insect phobia becomes the prey of a cockroach army. Add the spirited performances of a fine cast (Hal Holbrook, Adrienne Barbeau, Leslie Nielsen, Ted Danson, E.G. Marshal and King himself) and the ghoulish makeup wizardry of Tom Savini. Let the 'Creepshow' begin!

My Thoughts:
This is one of my favorite anthology movies. I think my favorite segment was the one where "A scheming husband plants two lovers up to their necks in terror."... this was the one where Leslie Neilson buried the couple to their necks in the sand on the beach... waiting for the high tide to come.  That one then followed closely by the "crated creature" Fluffy.  But of course I enjoyed all the segments.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2007, 02:33:31 PM »

Title: Creepshow 2
Movie Count: 60
Time Started: 7am
Plot:
Join our old friend, the rotting Creep himself, as he introduces this horror anthology which presents gruesome looks at three tales of horror: a hit-and-run driver in "The Hitchhiker," a wooden Indian on the warpath in "Ol' Chief Wooden Head," and four friends whose vacation on a secluded lake turns into a nightmare in "The Raft".

My Thoughts:
Figured I may as well watch part 2 while I was at it. Of course this is another good anthology horror. In this one I think my favorite episode would have to be "The Hitchhiker"... even though I definitely enjoyed all of them.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2007, 05:13:44 PM »

Title: Halloween II
Movie Count: 61
Time Started: 9am
Plot:
Halloween was a breakthrough independant boxoffice hit for writer-director-composer John Carpenter('Escape From New York', 'Starman') and star Jamie Lee Curtis('Trading Places', 'A Fish Called Wanda'). It also introduced one of the most memorable modern-day movie monsters in the shape of escaped psychopath Michael Myers, who is relentlessly pursued by Dr. Sam Loomis( Donald Pleasence).

Presented in it's original widescreen format to preserve all the terror, director Rick Rosenthal's sequal picks up right where the original left off, reuniting Curtis, Pleasence, and writer- producer Carpenter. Find out what happened next on "the night he came home," as Michael pursues Laurie Strode(Curtis) into a new bloodbath at the hospital, while Dr. Loomis frantically tries to understand --and destroy--him.

My Thoughts:
Since I watched the first "Halloween" movie early in the marathon... I thought I would watch some more. Usually I save the Halloween movies for Halloween day... but decided against that this year. I only own 4 of the Halloween movies... the first 2 and the last 2. Not sure how many I will watch today. This one I like... as it takes over where the first one left off. So it is definitely a good continuation into the series.
Pete