Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: 9/28 - 9/30  (Read 11638 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: 9/28 - 9/30
« on: September 28, 2007, 02:42:54 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
9/28-9/30
This time around I decided to do a 3 day weekend for my marathon. And I am not planning on any certain theme this time around. I figure I will just grab whatever movie the mood hits for. Though I will be trying to get some off my unwatched DVDs shelf. I will also be staying away from horror this weekend since Monday starts my Month Long Horror Marathon. So this weekend I am watching...

Edward Scissorhands
Once upon a time in a castle high on a hill lived an inventor whose greatest creation was named Edward. Although Edward had an irresistible charm, he wasn't quite perfect. The inventor's sudden death left him unfinished, with sharp shears of metal for hands. Edward lived alone in the darkness until one day a kind Avon lady took him home to live with her family. So began Edward's fantastical adventures in a pastel paradise known as Suburbia.

My Thoughts:
This is the Anniversary Edition DVD that I picked up a few days ago at Wal-Mart. I have seen this one before... but it has been a very long time... so long that I completely forgot what the movie was about... so was like watching it for the very first time again. The last time I watched this one was with my wife, Dawn. She passed away almost 12 years ago now... so it has been at least that long. The movie itself was not only an interesting fantasy... but just a plain fun for the entire family type movie... one I am hoping to watch again before too long with my daughter, Brittany. I really think she will enjoy it as well. The movie of course stars Johnny Depp... but also has one of my all time favorite classic horror actors. The late, great Vincent Price. If I am not mistaken... this was his last roll. In my opinion... not a bad way to go out of the world of entertainment.
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: 9/28 - 9/30
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 06:12:34 PM »
The late, great Vincent Price. If I am not mistaken... this was his last roll.
Talking of Vincent Price. Another one of his later roles was in Dead Heat (according to IMDb Edward Scissorhands was not his last role...). It's a film about two cops who investigate their own murder. So, you guessed it, it's a zombie film of sorts :devil: and wickedly funny too! If you haven't seen it, it may well worth be checking out (it's a DVD from Anchor Bay with cool extras).

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 06:35:30 PM »
Thanks Achim...
I wasn't 100% sure on this being his last roll... was going by what a friend (who normally knows her stuff) told me. I will have to check out that one... Dead Heat... it sounds slightly familiar... I may have seen it back when IO managed a video store... though I can't be sure.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 06:46:32 PM »

Zodiac
Based on the true story of the notorious serial killer and the intense manhunt he inspired, 'Zodiac' is a superbly crafted thriller from the director of 'Se7en' and 'Panic Room'. Featuring an outstanding ensemble cast led by Jake Gyllenhaal, Robert Downey Jr., Mark Ruffalo and Chloƫ Sevigny, 'Zodiac' is a searing and singularly haunting examination of twin obessions: one man's desire to kill and another's quest for the truth.

My Thoughts:
I went into this movie excited to finally see it... but I tried to keep low expectations so that I wouldn't be too disappointed if it wasn't all that I was originally expecting. I would have watched it much sooner but the length (just over 2 and a half hours) had me keep putting it off. This morning I thought to myself... long or not... I am watching this movie. I have to say... in my opinion... this movie was very well done. It exceeded even my original high expectations! Now... part of me is sorry I didn't wait for the Director's cut of the film coming out next year. But at the same time... I enjoyed this movie so much... I can see having both the Theatrical Version and the Director's Cut.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 02:44:19 PM »

Chasing Amy
Cult comic-book artist Holden (Ben Affleck) falls in love with fellow artist Alyssa (Joey Lauren Adams), only to be thwarted by her sexuality, the disdain of his best friend Banky (Jason Lee), and his own misgivings about himself. Filled with Smith's unique ear for dialogue and insight into relationships, 'Chasing Amy' offers a thoughtful, funny look at how perceptions alter lives, and how obsession and self-doubt skew reality.

My Thoughts:
This was actually my first taste of the work of Kevin Smith. So I really went into this one without knowing what to expect. I must say... I enjoyed it... it was a good romantic comedy. I felt he did a great job at creating characters you can care about. There wasn't a main character in this movie that I didn't enjoy watching one way or the other. I definitely think Kevin Smith is one talented man. Without giving the ending away (as I know of at least 1 person that hasn't seen this yet.).. I will say I left this one with mixed feelings. Mixed feelings that actually surprised me. I actually felt both relief and a bit disappointed.. but at the same time it also felt satisfying. It is hard to explain in order for it to sound right... so I would just leave it at... if you haven't done so yet... watch this movie.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 09:03:50 PM »

The Good Girl
Jennifer Aniston turns in "a fantastic performance" ('US Weekly') in this quirky comedy about first encounters and second chances. Thirty-year-old Justine Last (Aniston) longs for a life more fulfilling than the one she leads with her boring husband (John C. Reilly) and dead-end job at the Retail Rodeo. But when a passionate young co-worker (Jake Gyllenhaal) catches her eye and steals her heart, Justine's good-girl existence takes a turn for the worse -- with unexpected and comical results.

My Thoughts:
This one I didn't care much for. It was in my opinion OK at best. I found the storyline not only depressing... but also stupid. I can say this much though... I got this movie shortly after it's release used for $5.00 when the video store I managed went out of business (Along with Chasing Amy) I bought it sight unseen for one reason... because I am a fan of Jennifer Aniston.  And I have to agree with the overview... Jennifer Aniston did do a fantastic job in her role. I thought she had a very strong performance... I just wish she had a better storyline to work with. The overview ends with this line... "...with unexpected and comical results" I don't know... this is of course only my opinion... but I didn't find a single thing in this movie I would call comical.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 10:22:10 PM »
Pleased to hear that you liked Chasing Amy! Are planning to join the View Askew world properly?  ;) Next on your list just has to be Clerks. Mallrats is after that, but not essential; heck, even Kevin Smith doesn't like that one! But Clerks first... you'll learn the significance of the number 37...  :devil:

Also, although Criterion are probably the best DVD releases, the other standard special editions of Smith movies are usually incredible. He's possibly the most honest filmmaker around. He seems to put as much time into stories about making movies as he does in erm, making movies. The 10th anniversary Q&A sessions on the Clerks disc are great. And I think the story of making that film is one of my favourites. Real rag to riches, fairytale filmmaking. This attitude of his has continued on through his website, blogs and "An Evening with..." DVDs.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 10:52:16 PM »
Yeah Jon... I was thinking Clerks would be the next one I check out when I get the chance to pick it up. :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 02:46:38 PM »

Miss Congeniality
Legs waxed. Lips glossed. Gun ready. Special Agent Gracie Hart is going undercover as a hopeful eager to be the next Miss United States. But Gracie doesn't have a beauty-pageant bone in her body.

Sandra Bullock stars as an operative posing as a pageant contestant in order to ferret out a terrorist targeting the event. Michael Caine deliciously plays the frustrated consultant hired to turn Dirty Harriet into a poised beauty. And Benjamin Bratt, Candice Bergen, William Shatner and Ernie Hudson also score points for hilarity in this box-office smash. From big laughs to sly quips, 'Miss Congeniality' hits.

My Thoughts:
I woke up this morning (about 3am) and turned on the cable TV to find a Sandra Bullock movie playing. I am a huge Sandra Bullock fan so this of course put me in the mood to watch some of her movies. I noticed this one gets a pretty bad rap on a lot of sites.. but I have always enjoyed this one! I find this movie to just be pure fun. There is several parts of this movie that I literally laughed out loud on. First I had the original release of this one... but I recently I upgraded it to the the Deluxe Edition.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 03:02:25 PM »
Not wishing to interrupt the marathon, but I just noticed your banner and "My Hero". I remember the little discussion we had on sitcoms and what-have-you; did you enjoy it in the end?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 03:41:33 PM »
Not wishing to interrupt the marathon, but I just noticed your banner and "My Hero". I remember the little discussion we had on sitcoms and what-have-you; did you enjoy it in the end?

Oh! I forgot to post about about that! Yes... enjoyed it a lot once I got past the first few episodes. Took me a few to get used to the style of it all... but then I was sitting here enjoying every minute of it. I plan on getting season 2 before too long. Won't be in October though as I plan on buying mostly horror for my marathon when I get paid on the 3rd. :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 08:20:50 PM »

Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous
Sandra Bullock returns as Special Agent Gracie Hart in a funny, fabulous 'Miss Congeniality' follow up. This time, she's the bureau's new celebrity face, making the rounds of talk shows (her heroics at the Miss United States Beauty Pageant made her too famous for field work). She also has a new partner (Regina King), an agent with anger-management issues and a dim opinion of pampered Gracie. But when Gracie's friends (returning stars Heather Burns and William Shatner) are kidnapped, nothing can keep Special Agent GS13 out of the action. Look out world. The cover girl is going back undercover!

My Thoughts:
The first movie was just not enough of Sandra Bullock yet... so just had to pop in part 2. This one I don't feel was as good as the first one... but was definitely enjoyable. I liked the addition of Regina King... thought her character was a good addition since they changed Sandra Bullock's character so much.
Pete