Author Topic: October 2008 Horror Marathon for the rest of us  (Read 15509 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: October 2008 Horror Marathon for the rest of us
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2008, 02:43:09 PM »
Many giallo can count as horror as well. If Psycho is an horror classic any giallo is and by the way an human killer is a monster no?
I was wondering the other day if people still look at these lists.... Nice to see they do :D

Well, I am not so sure I'd call Psycho a horror classic myself (more a Suspense/Thriller), but people who kill are indeed "monsters".

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2008, 02:30:26 AM »
What did you think of The Frighteners? Seen it before?
The movie has a good mix of humor with the scary, something that doesn't always work.  I liked how the ghosts were handled and thought they looked cool.  It has a good amount of suspense and I didn't think it was predictable at all.  Great movie all around.

Exactly what I think. I mentioned the same thing when reviewing An American Werewolf in London for the horror marathon. I did say that Shaun of the Dead is an excellent comedy-horror, but it's far more comedy than horror and a serious bit towards the end doesn't really work. I forgot about The Frighteners. Which is especially bad because I have it in a boxset with American Werewolf and Shaun... :-[

I've heard and read a lot of good things about Shaun of the Dead but I haven't seen it.  I probably will at some point. 
I also thought that Slither had  a decent blend of humor with the horror stuff.  I still need to add that one to my collection.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2008, 02:30:53 AM »
Movies
October 2 - The Shinning
October 6 - The Ninth Gate
October 8 - The Satanic Rites of Dracula
October 9 - Raising Cain
October 9 - So I Married an Ax Murderer
October 11 - Creepshow
October 12 - Phantoms
October 12 - Once Bitten
October 14 - Wallace & Gromit and The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
October 17 - The Monster Squad - First time I've seen this one and I really enjoyed it.
October 18 - Eight Legged Freaks
October 19 - Dracula - the 1931 version
October 20 - The Frighteners
October 21 - Frankenstein
October 21 - Buffy the Vampire Slayer
October 22 - The Lost Boys

TV Shows
October 8 - Treehouse of Horror X from The Simpsons Eleventh Season
October 12 - An Episode of True Blood, a vampire series on HBO.  I don't know the title of the episode.
October 15 - The Middle Earth Paradigm - Halloween episode from The Big Bang Theory first season.
October 19 - The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror XVIII

Najemikon

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2008, 11:35:47 AM »
The movie has a good mix of humor with the scary, something that doesn't always work.  I liked how the ghosts were handled and thought they looked cool.  It has a good amount of suspense and I didn't think it was predictable at all.  Great movie all around.

Exactly what I think. I mentioned the same thing when reviewing An American Werewolf in London for the horror marathon. I did say that Shaun of the Dead is an excellent comedy-horror, but it's far more comedy than horror and a serious bit towards the end doesn't really work. I forgot about The Frighteners. Which is especially bad because I have it in a boxset with American Werewolf and Shaun... :-[

I've heard and read a lot of good things about Shaun of the Dead but I haven't seen it.  I probably will at some point. 
I also thought that Slither had  a decent blend of humor with the horror stuff.  I still need to add that one to my collection.

I love Slither! It's my favourite quotable horror after From Duck Till Dawn. Although most come from Nathan Fillion, this often comes to mind: "Did you see that? I ain't never seen anything like that! And I watch National Geographic all the time!" :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2008, 09:57:57 PM »

I love Slither! It's my favourite quotable horror after From Duck Till Dawn. Although most come from Nathan Fillion, this often comes to mind: "Did you see that? I ain't never seen anything like that! And I watch National Geographic all the time!" :laugh:

I saw Slither because Nathan Fillion was in it.  I loved him in Firefly and Serenity.  I'm still ticked about FOX canceling that show.  Anyway, I had heard that Slither was good, but the main reason I watched it was because of him. 

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2008, 09:58:23 PM »
Movies
October 2 - The Shinning
October 9 - Raising Cain
October 11 - Creepshow
October 12 - Phantoms
October 12 - Once Bitten
October 17 - The Monster Squad - First time I've seen this one and I really enjoyed it.
October 23 - Fright Night

TV Shows
October 12 - An Episode of True Blood, a vampire series on HBO.  I don't know the title of the episode.
October 15 - The Middle Earth Paradigm - Halloween episode from The Big Bang Theory first season.

Sanuye

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2008, 10:27:45 PM »
I saw Slither because Nathan Fillion was in it.  I loved him in Firefly and Serenity.  I'm still ticked about FOX canceling that show.  Anyway, I had heard that Slither was good, but the main reason I watched it was because of him. 

me too!  :drooling: (and I don't like horror  :-[ )

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2008, 02:51:43 AM »

me too!  :drooling: (and I don't like horror  :-[ )

I don't like some horror...I have come to like more in the last several years.  I am terrified of snakes and freak if I see a picture or see one in a movie, so I avoid all movies with snakes or snakelike creatures for the most part.  I don't know why, but the ...things in Slither didn't bother me at all.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2008, 02:52:14 AM »
Movies
October 2 - The Shinning
October 9 - Raising Cain
October 11 - Creepshow
October 12 - Phantoms
October 12 - Once Bitten
October 24 - Young Frankenstein
October 24 - Beetlejuice

TV Shows

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2008, 06:21:11 AM »
Movies
October 2 - The Shinning
October 9 - Raising Cain
October 11 - Creepshow
October 12 - Phantoms
October 12 - Once Bitten
October 24 - Beetlejuice
October 25 - Psycho

TV Shows

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2008, 06:42:17 AM »
I've been watching a LOT of horror (an other) movies but I haven't had time to post them yet!  :-[ I'll try and do so in the next day or so.
Are we the next day yet Kathy? Will we see your list or you tease us like Eric and The Horror Mansion Survival Game  :laugh:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2008, 10:44:28 PM »
I've been watching a LOT of horror (an other) movies but I haven't had time to post them yet!  :-[ I'll try and do so in the next day or so.
Are we the next day yet Kathy? Will we see your list or you tease us like Eric and The Horror Mansion Survival Game  :laugh:

Oops. I have been busy putting on a new roof on my garage and I've been so tired all I've done is watch a few DVDs then pass out! I do have my watched pile stacked separately! Since I am babysitting I don't have my DVDs here but off the top of my head this month I've watched:

Horror:
Audition
3 Extremes
House of 1000 Corpses
The Devils Rejects
American Psyco
The Wicker Man (1973)
Frankenstein
The Bride of Frankenstein
The Mummy (1932)
Alien Dead
Wishmaster
Wishmaster 2
The Shining
Misery
Carrie
Thinner

Other:
Young Frankenstein
Blazing Saddles
Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium
Into the Wild
Scorpion King 2
Willow
Frank Lloyd Wright's Buffalo
Flags of Our Father
Letters From Iwa Jima
The Golden Compass
The Game Plan
Y tu mamá también
Indiana Jones 1-4

Najemikon

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2008, 11:53:58 PM »
So that's a :yellowcard: for you, missus!  ;) Where are the opinions? Where are the ratings? I'd be especially interested to hear what you think of Audition and The Wicker Man.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2008, 12:48:04 AM »
Movies
October 2 - The Shinning
October 9 - Raising Cain
October 11 - Creepshow
October 12 - Phantoms
October 12 - Once Bitten
October 24 - Beetlejuice
October 25 - Psycho
October 26 - Psycho II
October 26 - Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer
October 26 - Scream

TV Shows

I first saw Psycho II on television several years ago.  I wasn't expecting much, but I actually ended up really liking it.  I thought the idea of Norman going home after so many years was very interesting.

I ended up picking up Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer after reading a few good reviews of the movie since I thought it sounded interesting.  A few scenes seemed a tad slow, but I enjoyed it overall. 

I've seen Scream several times now and I still enjoy it.  There were likable characters - though one or two did irritate me - and I thought the plot was interesting and entertaining.  I remember being very surprised by how things worked out when I first saw the movie.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2008, 08:34:18 PM »
Movies
October 2 - The Shinning
October 9 - Raising Cain
October 11 - Creepshow
October 12 - Phantoms
October 12 - Once Bitten
October 24 - Beetlejuice
October 25 - Psycho
October 26 - Psycho II
October 26 - Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer
October 26 - Scream
October 27 - Love at First Bite
October 27 - Van Helsing

TV Shows

Yes, I fully admit that Love at First Bite is corny, but I still enjoy it.  I think it was actually one of the first vampire movies I ever saw, so that may be why I still like it.