Author Topic: Smallville  (Read 10048 times)

lyonsden5

Re: Smallville Season 8
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2008, 04:32:23 PM »
Here is a preview of what's coming up next.

* WARNING *
if you are not current with the series it may conatin a spoiler or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS3BE5cAmUQ

I can tell you without spoiling anything there is a scene where the loft in Clark's barn get destroyed   :tease:  Just how many times has he repaired that thing!!!  :hysterical:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2008, 04:46:19 PM »
Can't wait!  :thumbup:
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2008, 05:33:34 PM »
I can tell you without spoiling anything there is a scene where the loft in Clark's barn get destroyed   :tease:  Just how many times has he repaired that thing!!!  :hysterical:

I just saw an episode (Season 7 - Wrath) where the barn gets destroyed in a very interesting way! :laugh:

(click to show/hide)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2009, 07:33:54 PM »
8 years has it been since Clark appeared as an "angel" in the graveyard where Lana's parents were buried. And now it's over, forever. :(

They should have ended it sooner or they should have rewritten Superman history.

The way it has ended now Lois will always be just the rebound girl in the history of Smallville.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 08:54:30 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

richierich

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2009, 04:37:37 PM »
hi res s8 artwork for your profile

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »
It was just posted yesterday on Entertainment Weekly that Smallville was renewed for a 9th season!

As much as I love this show... I have to say... Smallville should end! He should be Superman by now!  :slaphead:

the article also mentions that...

- Supernatural  :yahoo:
- Gossip Girl
- One Tree Hill

...has also all been renewed.
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2009, 09:13:31 PM »
Smallville is getting nowhere

I don't know. I've always been a fan of the show but for the last 1.75 seasons I don't know where the show is heading anymore.

In the begin of season seven they brought Kara in but never made anything interesting out of this character. After the writers strike they brought up this rather ridiculous Veritas arc which contradicted basically anything we've learned in the last seven years. Then they decided to show Lex Clark's secret full knowing that Michael Rosenbaum wouldn't return in an eight season.

Then we start with the eight season. Lana is gone, Lex is gone. But the cliffhanger isn't really continued, it's simply broken off and the story continues elsewhere. And from where I am standing this whole eight season is devoted to destroy the character of Chloe. She's been less and less the Chloe I've known and loved for seven years with every episode that gets aired. And maybe that's the purpose. Maybe they want to kill her off at some point because she doesn't exist in the original Superman universe.

But how is this ever going to work in this Smallville universe? Lana is gone and Clark finally begins to develop some feelings for Lois but suddenly they bring Lana back and Clark forgets all about Lois. And even worse: Chloe forgets all about her husband lying heavily injured in a hospital in Star City. She helps Clark and lets Lois take care of her husband! And then Lana is gone again and this time it will be permanent. And Lois will be rebound girl. And how can Clark ever become Superman in the original maskless costume when he already works glassless in the Daily Planet alongside Lois and Jimmy?

I always thought that Superman's costume was a bit lame, but now it's logically impossible to not be recognized by at least the DP people.

We may have a Big Bad this season and Clark will eventually defeat him in the end but I am get less interested with every episode. They have already ordered a ninth season. But I am quite sure they haven't even a clue yet what it will be about.

Sorry, but that's how I feel.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 09:36:49 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2009, 09:50:20 PM »
And you are not alone Karsten... I feel the same way! Chloe has always been my favorite character... and this season she just is not Chloe. I still hope we don't loose her at the end of the season... I just want the old Chloe back.

I hated last seasons Veritas arc... That is why I slowed down watching the DVDs. This season has me confused where the hell they are going. And yet they order another season. I think this show should have ended a couple years back. He should have been Superman by now!

Even with that said... I will still be right there watching it the rest of this season... and pretty sure next season as well.  :bag:
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2009, 10:01:19 PM »
Even with that said... I will still be right there watching it the rest of this season... and pretty sure next season as well.  :bag:
I know myself, I will probably "tune in", too. But currently I am not sure if I am really willing to spend any money on the season eight DVDs.
Karsten

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2009, 11:17:47 PM »
At this point I am still figuring on completing the series on DVD... but we will see if the series keeps going for too long... and how bad next season will be.
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2009, 10:01:39 PM »
So I just watched 8x22 "Doomsday". (Heavy spoilers follow!)

Man, what a waste. Clark had better fights against a random Freak-of-the-Week in the first seasons than that! That was all? The ultimate weapon? The only one who could ever kill Superman in the comics?  I am so disappointed.

And the other parts were terrible as well. Were's Lois gone? The past? The future? She can't go anywhere where she might fight out Clark's true nature or they would destroy that part of the mythology, too.

And Jimmy's dead?!? 1st WTF! And then "Henry James Olson" has a younger brother who conveniently wears a bow tie at the funeral and gets Jimmy's camera?!? 2nd WTF!!

And finally Clark wants to get rid of his human side (again) because he blames himself for what happened to everyone? 2nd season finale déjà vu anyone?

This was so lame...
Karsten

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2009, 10:30:16 PM »
So I just watched 8x22 "Doomsday".
This was so lame...

I concluded that after 1x01. Guess I saved some time.   :P
Matthias

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Smallville Season 9
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2010, 12:03:08 PM »
One year ago I wrote an article called "Why the World Doesn't Need Superman" postings which I called "Smallville is getting nowhere" and "Doomsday for Smallville" because I was so disappointed with how the series had progressed in recent years and how that season (eight) ended.

I am still convinced that seasons seven and eight were the worst years in Smallville history because whatever the makers had in mind, it didn't work in either year. When I randomly pick an episode to watch, it's rarely an episode from these seasons.

But for me, they redeemed themselves this year. There were still a few bumps in the road (e.g questionable decisions by all characters including Clark) but overall it was much better and it had quite a number of really great episodes in it, starting with the season openers Savior and Metallo, continuing when the Blur gets his own fan club (Idol), then the two-parter Absolute Justice and the following Warrior and in the end Charade and Salvation.

I rarely watched so many episodes twice or more during the year of airing.

Now I just hope they can create a shining final year to give the show a great ending.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 12:43:46 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2010, 06:29:11 PM »
ComicCon Season 10 Teaser:

« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 06:30:47 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Smallville
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2011, 10:51:06 PM »
Let me start this by saying that it was better than LOST's ending. But that isn't saying much...

Smallville has always been an uneven show. It had good years, bad years and worse years. It never had great years. It rarely had great episodes. They were there but there weren't as many as one would hope in a ten year run with a total of 217 episodes.

And yet: Ten years and 217 episodes. There aren't that many shows overall and even fewer shows in the Sci-Fi and Fantasy genre that can bring that much to the table.

For all its faults I love Smallville but I am also at peace with it ending now. I nearly gave up on it after what is commonly referred to as Failsday.
Seasons nine and ten became better again and quite a few episodes of season eight have grown on me.

But season ten and its finale also showed that even though they knew exactly how it was supposed to be ending they didn't really have a clear idea of how to get there.

It started with Lazarus. Jor-El became bipolar again and declared his son unfit to save the world hours after Clark successfully prevented a full-blown Kryptionan-Human-War.
In Shield Lois has a sincere talk with Carter/Hawkman and he makes her understand that Clark can't do it alone. He needs someone like Lois, so that the burden is easier to bear. That point is later reinforced in Icarus.
In Supergirl his little cousin who has not been known to make clear-headed decisions in the all-time low season seven is suddenly better equipped to fight "the darkness". Not that they ever explained why that would be the case.
Then comes Homecoming. I didn't like the story all that much because it contained a lot of avoidable ambiguity ("You sent the woman I love away"), deliberate bashing of Lois by punch-bowl Maddie, a lot of hand-holding for Clark ("Here's what the future looks like, isn't it great? Now make it come to pass.") and Smallville's infamous exposition speak ("I will repeat now what I learned in this episode").

But we (Clark & the viewer) have understood: If Clark really wants to become Superman he can't cling on to the past, he has to (as Hawkman put it) "break the chains that are holding him down". And Lois stands by his side no matter what.

The season goes on from there. Clark reveals his non-secret, Clois becomes engaged, Chloe gets her good-bye arc. The Clone!Lex arc ends with Connor, the VRA is defeated and the three minions of Darkseid don't really pose that much of a threat.

That leaves Prophecy and Finale. And here we throw everything over board that has been established this season.
First Lois breaks of the engagement. Why? Because she doesn't want to stand in Clark's way. It's not like that this was the reason she went to Africa in the first place. But if it worked once, why not rehash the same plot point again. It's not like we had seven Clark-Lana break-ups over the course of eight years. Oh, wait….
And then Clark tries to leave his past behind him? How dare he! He's wrong of course. Clark is always wrong. Other people have to tell him the right way to do everything. Martha never meant for him to sell the farm.
In 1938 telephones may have not been as widespread but even back then it might have been a good idea to pick up a damn phone to ask what the true intention of signing over the deed to the farm was. But clearly that would stand in the way of creating yet another scene of "good" drama.
Everything we've learned this season and the reason Clark was able to withstand Desaad is wrong. Clark mustn't shed with his past. He must embrace it. That's the right course of action all of a sudden.
It's not like that this is the final two hours of the show and that they had 20 episodes before that telling him the opposite.

And naturally the minute Lois is brought on the right track again that Clark begins to travel in the anti-wedding direction.

But in the end it works out. That just leaves freeing Oliver from the darkness (Just talk to him!), disposing of the three minions (Shoot them with [special?] arrows.), finally learn to fly (It helps when Darkseid is throwing you across the barn.), destroy Darkseid (Punch-flight!), save Air Force One (Iconic!) and free Earth from Darkseid's planet (By pushing it away!). There's no need that people need so see Superman to believe in him. It's enough to come out of the shadow of the planet to be freed from the Omega mark.
It's also not necessary to actually call this guy Superman even though both Lois and Oliver had the chance to tell people without making any changes in the script.
I guess the most impressive feat of the final hour: Lois sneaking aboard the presidential Air Force One with a stolen ID.

Well, that's it then. Not the greatest show of all time, but enjoyable. And there are enough episodes that are either cheesy or good enough (or both ;)) to re-watch them from time to time.

And we got to see Lois in many funny costumes and many fan-made "Motivationals".
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:10:24 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten