Author Topic: How do I...?  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
How do I...?
« on: October 05, 2011, 02:34:56 PM »
I want to upload my collection to a second DVD collection program. I'm going to useMy Movies. Is there an easy way to do this? 

Najemikon

Re: How do I...?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 02:45:36 PM »
If it lets you import from CSV, you can export from Profiler that way.

I though My Movies was mainly for media centre systems though. Are you sure it can cover what you need?

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 06:19:36 PM »
Try to send a PM to Eric. He use this for his collection, at least he was. He wrote a little bit about it here.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 07:15:51 AM »
I just downloaded the Mac version, which was pointed out to me thanks to this thread ;D) and will try it sometime soon.

I had a look at their forumand an import seems generally possible, as several threads deal with it, but some users point out that many proifles where not found on My Movies' servers.

This thread indicates, that there is an import function within My Movies which will then simply have to be pointed at the DVD Profiler directory. Hmmm, no I wonder how that can work between my Windows DVD Profiler and Mac My Movies. :headscratch:

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 10:12:52 AM »
Hmmm, no I wonder how that can work between my Windows DVD Profiler and Mac My Movies. :headscratch:
Don't know anything about myMovies, but the first solution that comes to mind:

Download the Windows version too
Import your DVDProfiler collection there
From the imported collection create an export-file for your Mac.

In theory this should work under all circumstances. There might be license restrictions though that prohibit this.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 11:03:21 AM »
Thanks, that is of course a way that should work.

I guess my concern went straight to the license issue, that I might not be allowed to download the full Windows version and the free one only allows 50 profiles.

Anyway, it'll need some thinking on my part, as I have no longer concern about moving away from DVD Profiler itself, but I am still quite attached to phpDVDProfiler and the forum banner it provides :laugh:

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 11:34:02 AM »
Had some reading on the "MyMovies"-homepage.

Not only are you allowed to have as many installations of the software as you like for one user-account*, in addition you may ask for a 21-day evaluation period in which all restrictions are disabled.

Points are attached to your user account, which again can be used on multiple machines within same household. This means that if you have one Windows Home Server, and five Media Center PC's, you only purchase points once, and use the the user account on all of your machines. This means that purchased points can be seen as what is normally referred to as family licenses.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 12:26:48 PM »

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 03:27:03 PM »
I had downloaded My Movies to an old computer at one time. I followed the directions from the thread Jimmy pointed out but...nothing this time. I really do have a mental block when it comes to computers.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 03:36:28 PM »
Well, I tried the Free version for a few minutes. Even if not filled fir all profiles, there is quite a variety of data fields available.

Unfortunately fortunately I started with some more exotic UPCs from Hong Kong or Germany all of which were not found :( So, while the program is not fir me at this time, I will kep my eye on it occasionally.

EDIT:
A data field I couldn't find and which is very dear to me is the Watched event. That in combination with phpDVDProfiler is one of my mostly used features in DVDP. Heck, I am more than a 1,000 profiles behind on updating, so obviously there isn't much more I care about deeply.

Hmmmm, someone just pointed out at Invelos that iOS 5 seems to break DVD Profiler for iOS. If that doesn't get fixed I may get more interested in switching again...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 06:58:28 AM by Achim »