Author Topic: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2011  (Read 112821 times)

KinkyCyborg

Re: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2011
« Reply #210 on: January 01, 2012, 03:27:00 AM »
Stander

Title:Stander
Year: 2003
Director: Bronwen Hughes
Rating: 14A
Length: 112 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Thomas Jane
Ashley Taylor
David O'Hara
Dexter Fletcher (1966)
Deborah Kara Unger

Plot:
Deeply affected by the indiscriminate killing he witnesses as a white police officer in South Africa, Andre Stander (played by Tom Jane) make a decision to defy the very system he has spent a lifetime enforcing. Turning his back on the law, he masterminds a series of audacious bank robberies, and befriending outlaws Allen Heyl and Lee McCall goes on a cross-country robbing spree. Known only as the "Stander Gang", the three commit dozens of bank robberies - heists that grow increasingly bolder over time. In the eyes of the public, the gang's disrespect for authority makes them into near-legendary folk heroes. to the South African government, however, the former police officer is a cause of embarrassment, and the Stander Gang quickly become the most wanted men in the country.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:

Fascinating true events about a South African cop, Andre Stander who in a show of defiance to his government and his own police force decides to start robbing banks just to prove how easy it is for a white man to commit a crime while all his fellow officers are off chasing after blacks who are protesting Apartheid. He manged to brazenly rip off 26 banks before getting caught, often giving the money away to the oppressed blacks. After his escape from prison 2 years into his sentence he, along with a couple of his buddies go on to rob 20 more banks.

I very much enjoyed this movie. Thomas Jane is outstanding in this as the moralistic and wild Stander. His perfect grasp of the Afrikaans accent led me to believe that perhaps this was his native tongue but according to IMDB he was born in Baltimore, Maryland. Hats offs for this performance!!  :clap:

As I often do after watching a true story I looked up some Wiki pages on the events that took place and discovered in this case the film deviated from what actually happened, severely in some instances including how Stander was eventually taken down and some major shifts in the time line of events. It's unfortunate, but upon reflection likely necessary to avoid lengthening an already 2 hour long show.

Highly recommended!  :thumbup:

KC

Rating:

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #211 on: January 01, 2012, 01:57:17 PM »
This is a great film and I think your review is spot on! Thomas Jane is brilliant in this.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #212 on: January 01, 2012, 03:53:05 PM »
Thanks. I've always been a fan of Thomas Jane but this film really opened my eyes to just how good he can be. I've heard some good things about his series Hung although perhaps it's not too good as I also heard the series got axed. I'm anxious to pick it up regardless.