Author Topic: Bionic Woman (2007) Marathon  (Read 4144 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Bionic Woman (2007) Marathon
« on: September 01, 2008, 02:54:55 PM »
Bionic Woman Marathon
Join one of TV's most stunning breakout heroines as the action-packed series Bionic Woman leaps into DVD! From executive producer David Eick (Battlestar Galactica) comes this gripping re-imagining of the universally beloved character.

Jamie Sommers is a hard-working woman struggling to take care of her younger sister. But after a serious, life-threatening accident, Jamie is saved by a top-secret procedure that makes her much more than just an ordinary woman...it makes her superhumanly bionic. Starring hot newcomer Michelle Ryan, as well as Miguel Ferrer (Crossing Jordan), Molly Price (Third Watch), Will Yun Lee (Witchblade), Lucy Kate Hale (How I Met Your Mother), and guest stars Isaiah Washington (Grey's Anatomy) and Katee Sackhoff (Battlestar Galactica), it's a non-stop thrill ride unlike anything you've seen before!

Disc 1:

1. Pilot
After a devastating car accident, Jamie's only hope for survival lies in top-secret technology that begins her new, covert life.

My Thoughts:
Let me start off by first saying I will not use the episode reviews as a place to compare this version of the series and the original Bionic Woman. I will use my Over-all Thoughts to touch on that at the end of the review.

I am very impressed with the pilot episode. There was lots of action and some really great effects. I really like how in this series Jaime Sommers has a sister in this series. I thought the car crash that Jaime and her boyfriend was in (the reason Jaime became bionic) was well done... the effects of Jamie having the operation and recovering from the operation was cool... and thought the fight in the rain with the "first" Bionic Woman was great. A very well done pilot in my opinion.

2. Paradise Lost
Jamie works to balance her home life with her new secret and discovers that a recent encounter with a stranger was no accident.

My Thoughts:
Another good episode. In this episode Jaime had to decide if she wanted to join the Berkut Group or not. I liked the storyline of the town that was hit with the bio-weapon. Then of course there is more at home issues with her sister that she has been raising since their father left her on Jaime's doorstep and abandoned. This series really seems to have a good balance of Jaime's new life and her home life with her sister.

3. Sisterhood
The Berkut Group turns to Jamie to monitor the daughter of a Canadian defense contractor.

My Thoughts:
This is a pretty good episode... but in my opinion I think it was too much crammed into one episode. It did have some decent action in it... and a good story. But I would have liked to seen the main story line followed through with more then it was. It seemed like they dropped that storyline sooner then they should have.

4. Faceoff
During a mission to rescue an American doctor working in Paraguay, Jamie learns the truth about her bionic lifespan.

My Thoughts:
This episode is a really good one. As the plot says... we learn things about Jaime's bionics that we didn't know before. The mission they send Jaime on in this episode is action packed. And Jaime continues to have problems with the idea of keeping the whole situation a secret away from her sister. Even though I know why they made it a secret from her sister... from the beginning of the series I have always wanted to see Jaime be able to tell her. It would give her someone outside the organization that she could openly talk to.
Pete

lyonsden5

Re: Bionic Woman (2007) Marathon
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 04:08:27 PM »
This show definitely fell victim to the writers strike last year. It's shame too bucause, with some tweaking, it could have been an OK series.

I guess it was easier to simply pull the plug than to try to revamp it a bit (like they do with many shows) to get better ratings. Oh well.  :-\

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 04:22:04 PM »
Oh I agree... the show definitely had it's problems... but I believe with a little work put into it the show could have succeeded... and like you I believe it is because of the writers strike that it ended as quickly as it did.
Pete

lyonsden5

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 05:39:58 PM »
It was one I was really looking forward to last year.  :( Fortunately a few other new show made up for the loss (like Terminator and Chuck)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 06:17:05 PM »
I haven't checked out Chuck yet. I started to... but for some reason every time I would start to watch the pilot I dozed off and ended up giving up on the series. But then I heard so much good about it I been wanting to give it another chance.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 03:10:56 PM »
Wow for a show that lasted only 8 episodes it is taken me forever on this marathon. What can I say... all day yesterday I was out doing yard work so only got to watch a couple episodes. Now today I have to go with my mother and I am 90% sure we will have to go to the hospital to get her a transfusion again as she is still having problems with Anemia.

So I only have 2 episodes left to watch... I hope to get them done tonight... if not tomorrow for sure.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 11:05:09 PM »
Disc 2:
5. The Education of Jamie Sommers
Jamie experiences college when she goes undercover as a student to investigate a professor—but the case gets complicated when she falls for the teacher's assistant, who is also a suspect.

My Thoughts:
This is a very good episode... is one of my favorites. Going into this knowing the actress that plays Jaime Sommers is from the UK I thought it was pretty cool that for her cover  she was a British student that transfered in. Gave me a chance to hear what I would suppose her real accent sounds like. The episode not only has a nice amount of action... but it is a lot of fun. I enjoyed every second of it.

6. The List
Tom and Jamie are partnered and sent to Paris, where they struggle to maintain a professional relationship.

My Thoughts:
Another really good episode. The episodes are definitely improving as they go a on. This episode has a good story... a nice amount of action and continues her budding relationship with the CIA agent. Of course it also touches on Jaime's home life as well.

7. Trust Issues
Jonas appoints Jamie and Antonio to stop an assassination plot, but Jamie soon doubts whether she can trust her partner.

My Thoughts:
This is a good... but not great episode. For some reason I found myself just not caring much about the mission they were on and the situation with Antonio... while it was a decent story I just didn't find that much interest in it.

8. Do Not Disturb
A much-needed spa vacation is anything but restful for Jamie when she is pulled into a deadly game of cat and mouse with another hotel guest.

My Thoughts:
This is another episode that I liked a lot. In this episode Jaime gets to really think about whether it is right or not to tell her teen sister her secret. Unfortunately this is the last ever episode of Bionic Woman.
My Over-All Thoughts:
Now over all what do I think of the Bionic Woman remake? When all is said and done I enjoyed it very much and glad I have it in my collection. I just wish it was never canceled. And to this day I blame the writer's strike for it being canceled. How would I compare this Bionic Woman to the original? I absolutely loved the original... the stories were great and the effects while lower tech then they are now were still fun to watch.On this remake I enjoyed most the stories. The effects in the remake are more awe inspiring then they were fun. Of course that is not a bad thing. Just different. I do like Jaime's home life in the remake a little better... as I like the addition of the younger sister that Jaime must raise while dealing with her new life. I think in the case of The Bionic Woman I don't prefer one over the other. I believe I enjoyed both equally... but for different reasons.

The quality of this set is as good as to be expected being a new series. Extras wise... while not what I would call loaded there is a respectable amount. On disc one we get a commentary track on the pilot with Executive Producer David Eick. On the second disc w get some featurettes. We get The Making of the Car Crash, The Stunts, Real Life Bionics. Then we get documentary style profiles on the Characters as we get the actors/actresses talking to you about their character on the show. Some interesting stuff but nothing overly impressive.

So in my opinion this is a good set for a really enjoyable series that ended well before it's time. Once again... I believe that is thanks to the writer's strike.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 12:12:46 AM »
Now over all what do I think of the Bionic Woman remake? When all is said and done I enjoyed it very much and glad I have it in my collection. I just wish it was never canceled.
At least the bionic dog didn't appear in it... I hope that with only 8 episodes the writer didn't need him as the cute little thing for the rating  ::)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 12:21:18 AM »
 :laugh: Nope... no bionic dog! I completely forgot about that until you mentioned it!
Pete

lyonsden5

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 01:37:30 AM »
but I like Max...  :(

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 01:43:28 AM »
Thank You! I been sitting here trying to remember that dog's name!

I liked him myself! :) I remember him bringing some fun to the episodes.
Pete