Author Topic: 300  (Read 3105 times)

Touti

« on: August 01, 2007, 05:26:18 PM »
Has anyone bought "300" hundred that was released yesterday?  I haven't seen the movie and I'm told it's a very good one.  I'm wondering if it's worth breaking my 10$ rule.

SailorRipley

Re: 300
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 05:53:16 PM »
I didn't have any plan to get it, but I may break and get it soon. I'm told there is a sweet collector's edition in a Spartan helmet (!). I did catch 300 in the cinema and although at the end I came to appreciate its strengths, it is safe to say this is no way a perfect film. I think the setting is absolutely great and the story is good; however I thought the stylization is blown out of proportion. The gimmick of having everything filmed with a green screen (a la Sin City) bothered me constantly, it feels fake. The unique action sequences are very cool the first time around but by the 5th time, the trick seems tiresome.

Overall I think it's a good one but not the kind of film miracle fans would you like you to believe. I'd recommend a rental first.

RossRoy

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 06:19:42 PM »
I'm told there is a sweet collector's edition in a Spartan helmet (!).

That's the one I ordered back in June, but I got an email saying they were out of stock. Don't know if it's only temporary though.

Touti

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 06:59:42 PM »

That's the one I ordered back in June, but I got an email saying they were out of stock. Don't know if it's only temporary though.

Where did you order it.  Those fancy cases are not often available here.

ninehours

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 05:10:34 AM »
Got the E-Mail from Amazon on the 29th saying it had been posted so could be a little longer yet has they quote quite a long time for delivery i just ordered Rollercoaster it's in stock and the estimated delivery is August 28, 2007 - September 14, 2007 so my copy of 300 could be a while  :(

RossRoy

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 05:39:12 AM »

Where did you order it.  Those fancy cases are not often available here.

Ordered it from Bestbuy

Touti

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 02:11:42 PM »
Rossroy, you should cancel this order and get it from Future Shop, it's 10$ less.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=FR&sku_id=0665000FSM2135456&catid=14717

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=FR&sku_id=0665000FSM2135803&catid=14717

Edit:  Oups.  Made a mistake here, I didn't realize you ordered the one with the helmet.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 02:26:53 PM by Touti »

RossRoy

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 02:35:58 PM »
Edit:  Oups.  Made a mistake here, I didn't realize you ordered the one with the helmet.

Of course I got the one with the helmet!  :yu:  I just love those little useless trinkets  :whistle:

I'm still hoping for this to become available in Canada.. I hope it will be...

lyonsden5

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 02:54:57 PM »
I thought it was a great film.

Loved the story. The futile battle. No hope of winning (or is there  ;) )

300 against thousands, tens of thousands even.

So many what I like to call "bad ass" moments (the scene where they build the wall for one, loved the mortar they used  :o ) Many of the scenes looked like a commercial for some type of abdominal muscle work out machine though  :laugh: no beer bellies in this group  :beer:

If you like movies where you simply want to be entertained with a descent story and some good action I would recommend breaking your $10.00 rule. MY guess is it will be  a while before the price drops to the $10.00 level and it is definitely worth owning.

FWIW I was torn between the HD DVD vrsion and the Best Buy one with the helmet. Saw the HD version at WalMartfor 10 bucks cheaper than the Helmet version so guess which one I bought. (Gave me enough $$$ left to buy Hot Fuzz as well  :laugh: )

Touti

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 07:35:12 PM »

Of course I got the one with the helmet!  :yu:  I just love those little useless trinkets  :whistle:

I'm still hoping for this to become available in Canada.. I hope it will be...

Well so do I so I ordered it from BB this morning, there was supposed to be one available for pick up  in the Pointe-Claire store.  Then 3 hours later I got an email telling me the order is cancelled because it's no longer available  >:(

So I went to FS, got the thin case package and, of course, damn FS has other DVD's so I ended up buying "Perfurme - The story of a murder" and "Millenium: The Complete 1st Season".

Then I get back at the office and find out my Junior programmer to whom I have given an old PC recently just went to the store and bought me a copy of 300 at a discounted price in a "no return" store so I bought it back from here and gave it to a friend.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 07:36:53 PM by Touti »

RossRoy

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 03:15:58 AM »

And I just received the email: It's on the way!  :yahoo: