Author Topic: Oh boy!  (Read 9328 times)

lyonsden5

Re: Oh boy!
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2008, 03:34:48 PM »
 :congrats:

RossRoy

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2008, 08:18:17 PM »
Thanks Rick!

There's a problem though: I think I just bricked my GPS with an utterly newbie-level mistake  :weep:

The unit has a MicroSD card reader, on which I can load custom POI (Points of Interest), additional maps, pictures, etc. But I had been using the card in another device, so I wanted to format it.

Yep, you already what happened, right? I wanted to format the card (which shows as a second letter in Windows, the unit itself is also seen as a mass storage device). So what did I do? I formatted the GPS itself instead of the card!!!  :slaphead:

So now, when I turn it on, I get "No maps with routing information found". So I contacted Garmin, we'll see what can be done.

Najemikon

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2008, 10:54:15 PM »
Thanks Rick!

There's a problem though: I think I just bricked my GPS with an utterly newbie-level mistake  :weep:

The unit has a MicroSD card reader, on which I can load custom POI (Points of Interest), additional maps, pictures, etc. But I had been using the card in another device, so I wanted to format it.

Yep, you already what happened, right? I wanted to format the card (which shows as a second letter in Windows, the unit itself is also seen as a mass storage device). So what did I do? I formatted the GPS itself instead of the card!!!  :slaphead:

So now, when I turn it on, I get "No maps with routing information found". So I contacted Garmin, we'll see what can be done.

Oh dear! Not as bad as Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear though. A couple of weeks ago he was testing a Nissan in Japan, racing the other two who were doing the same route via public transport. The GPS was all in Japanese, so someone had to set it up for him. Obviously the worst thing he could do would be to switch it off... which he did! He then got completely lost while hitting every button until somehow it came back on.  :laugh:

RossRoy

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2008, 03:19:19 AM »
Obviously the worst thing he could do would be to switch it off... which he did! He then got completely lost while hitting every button until somehow it came back on.  :laugh:

Now that's funny! Especially since with a GPS, you just have to let it do its job and not touch it  :hysterical:

RossRoy

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2008, 06:01:59 PM »
Woot!! I saved my GPS! At least partially...

I had a copy of the text files, and the voice files. I could put those back in easily.

The hard part was the maps. I ended going online and download the City Navigator North American NT 2009 DVD, and used my unlock code to unlock the maps and reload them in to the GPS. Which worked for the closeup maps. At this point, I was still missing the basemap (rough, continent wide lower scale maps), but Garmin themselves offer a free version of it. It's an older version, but more than enough for my needs.

Only thing that doesn't work now is transferring coordinates straight from Google Maps to the GPS, and firmware updates, and both these probably happen for the very same reason: the gps is not recognized as a gps anymore by the system, only as a mass storage device. I'm guessing it's only a simple text file identifying the unit that is missing.

looks like sending coordinates straight to the GPS from Google Maps works, as long as the GPS is connected in mass storage mode

But at least, I can have the gps route me to my destination, and I still the possibility to search by address! So it's mostly fine for the moment. I'll still call Garmin and see what they can do to get me back up at 100%.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 06:26:49 PM by RossRoy »

RossRoy

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2008, 05:12:22 AM »
I have a quick question for those of you who are car-savvy.

I read that the gas mileage of a car is different when it's new, than after it's been "broken-in". I was wondering, does it consume more or less when new? Also, how long until the car has been "broken-in", and gas mileage settles to the "real" values?

Also, is there anything specific I should do during the break-in period? In the manual, it's like their contradicting themselves. They say the break-in period is the first 500km, and that it should be driven at moderate speeds. Right after that, they reiterate that for the first 100km, I should drive it at moderate speeds (whatever that means). Then, between 100km and 500km, they say I should be cruising at 80-90 km/h, but give it brief periods at full throttle acceleration, BUT not push it too hard in lower gears. Thing is, there's no gears. I have a CVT transmission?

What is moderate speeds exactly? Are they saying I should be going at 70-80? or is 100km/h a moderate speed? Because while my usual cruising speed is 115-120 km/h, I can live with going around 100km/h for a week, but not at 80-90! I don't want to be killed out there by the vans and all the other SUVs going 130+!

Touti

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2008, 05:50:52 PM »
This "breakin-in" thing is mostly used today to cover their asses.  Engines are ran in the factories as part of the QC process.  However you should still do it because if a problem arise within the first 500km and the computers registered that you drove it like an idiot they may not do the repairs under warranty.

That said,  they're basically telling you that for the first 500km you shouldn't drive it at high speeds (110 or 115 would be the top) for extended periods of time.

You can drive it at normal speed on the highways but you shouldn't run it at say 120km/h all the way to Quebec City.  That doesn't mean you can't use the power at your disposal if you need it to pass a slower car on a small road.

In other words, just drive it normally.......unless your normal driving is racing on the metropolitan at 150.

RossRoy

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2008, 06:06:17 PM »
In other words, just drive it normally.......unless your normal driving is racing on the metropolitan at 150.

Good to know! Thanks!  ;D

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2008, 06:07:33 PM »
you shouldn't run it at say 120km/h all the way to Quebec City. 

Is this a mistype? 120 km/h is considered high speed in Canada? When I bought my new car, in the break-in period I was not supposed to drive over 150 km/h for extended period of time according to my manual. It was hard restraining myself in that period :laugh:

Touti

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2008, 06:37:41 PM »
Road regulations are a provincial issue in Canada but I believe the speed limits are the same in all province.  Here in Quebec anyway it's 100km/h.  It is a generally know fact that cops won't bug you at 119km/h.

If I'm not mistaking Toyota recommended 100km/h for the first 1000 km for my FJ Cruiser.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 06:39:24 PM by Eric »

RossRoy

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2008, 08:13:37 PM »
you shouldn't run it at say 120km/h all the way to Quebec City. 

Is this a mistype? 120 km/h is considered high speed in Canada? When I bought my new car, in the break-in period I was not supposed to drive over 150 km/h for extended period of time according to my manual. It was hard restraining myself in that period :laugh:

Do you really have to rub it in that there's no actual speed limit on the Autobahn? ;)

Don't forget, we have some really well behaved drivers that like to stick to the left lane going 80 km/h on the highways here in Quebec.  :shrug:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2008, 08:24:47 PM »
Do you really have to rub it in that there's no actual speed limit on the Autobahn? ;)
Yes.  :devil:
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2008, 09:43:24 PM »
Yes.  :devil:

What he says  :devil:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2008, 06:40:34 AM »
Don't forget, we have some really well behaved drivers that like to stick to the left lane going 80 km/h on the highways here in Quebec.  :shrug:
Well, despite the lack of speed limit on (merely) 10% of the autobahn, we have drivers as you describe as well ;)

Touti

« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2008, 12:48:29 PM »
Well, despite the lack of speed limit on (merely) 10% of the autobahn, we have drivers as you describe as well ;)

Here we also have a minimum speed of 60 km/h on the highway.  Driving at 80 in the left lane on a highway with no maximum speed limit isn't too smart.  Nobody's gonna have time to move away if a Ferrari shows up behind at 300 km/h.

Just by curiosity, what's the death toll on the autobahn ?