Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: 7/11 - 7/13  (Read 6455 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: 7/11 - 7/13
« on: July 11, 2008, 04:12:46 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
7/11 - 7/13
This weekend I will not have any particular theme...  once again I will just be going with whatever mood hits at the time. So... this weekend I watched...

Live Free or Die Hard
"The best of the best is back and better than ever" ('WNYW-TV') in the latest installment of the pulse-pounding, thrill-a-minute 'Die Hard' action films. New York City detective John McClane (Bruce Willis) delivers old-school justice to a new breed of terrorists when a massive computer attack on the U.S. infrastructure threatens to shut down the entire country over Independence Day weekend.

Locked and loaded with real stunts, genuine humor and nonstop excitement, 'Live Free or Die Hard' is "a slick piece of action entertainment" ('Los Angeles Times'). Yippee ki yay!

My Thoughts:
When I first heard they would be doing a new Die Hard movie I thought it couldn't possibly be as good as the previous ones. I really loved all the previous ones... but lets face it... this is #4 in the series... and how often do they stay good for that long? And come on now... Bruce Willis is getting there in age. Well I was in for a bit of a surprise... as I loved every minute of it. Of course... just like the rest of them... it is pure blow them up action... Turn your brain off and enjoy type of a movie. But that is a lot of fun some times. So if you liked the first few movies in the series... I am sure you will like this one as well.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: 7/11 - 7/13
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 10:48:18 PM »

Bloody Mary
When a group of psychiatric hospital nurses invoke the spirit of Bloody Mary-a supposed urban myth-the slaughter begins. First, a young nursing assistant disappears, her body never found. Now, patients are turning up dead-battered beyond recognition, soaked in blood, their eyes ripped out. Mary's wrath has begun. Freed from her eternal prison behind the mirror's reflection, she unleashes a murderous, maniacal fury upon the asylum. Moving at will through mirrors, she strikes when victims are unsuspecting, defenseless, and lone. Bloody Mary's legend is real, her vengeance is fatal, and to free her, all you have to do is say her name.

My Thoughts:
This movie I would say is only fair at best. I mean... it has it's moments... and an original idea thrown in here and there. And there is blood in it... not what I consider gory... but definitely has it's share of blood. One thing that was pretty aggravating to me at least was that you never really got a decent look at Bloody Mary. Besides all that... the acting leaves a lot to be desired. But as I said... it has it's moments. It is a movie I can see myself watching again... but not one I would watch very often.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 06:07:56 PM »

My Thoughts:
From Stephen King (Pet Sematary), Michael McDowell (Beetlejuice), George A. Romero (Night of the Living Dead) and Arthur Conan Doyle (creator of Sherlock Holmes), comes Tales From The Darkside: The Movie, an all-star horror anthology packed with fun and fright.

"The Wraparound Story" concerns a little boy who spins all the tales... to distract a modern-day witch who wants to pop him in the oven! In "Lot 249," a malevolent mummy gives a new meaning to "final exams" when he awakens to wreak revenge on unsuspecting student bodies. A furry black kitty is really the "Cat From Hell," and a "Lover's Vow" brings stone gargoyles to murderous life.

My Thoughts:
This is the first time I seen this movie in years... probably since it was first released. It is as good as I remembered it being... as I really enjoyed every minute of it. Even though all the segments was good... my favorite segment is the last one... with Rae Dawn Chong. The wraparound segment was fun... but possibly a little too much on the silly side for my taste.  But with all said and done... it is definitely an enjoyable movie. This DVD release only has 2 extras... a Commentary Track and the Theatrical Trailer.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 10:00:00 PM »

Alien Nation: Millennium
With the twentieth century drawing to a close, a stolen Tenctonese artifact provides the key to a bizarre religious cult which promises instant spiritual fulfillment but delivers something far more sinister. When Francisco's son Buck is drawn into the deadly cult,its up to Francisco and Sikes to save him and uncover the startling truth.

My Thoughts:
Another really good movie off the TV series. I liked how they revisited one of the plots of the episodes.... with the portal box... and continued that storyline. Even though I did like this movie very much... I do think this series of movies is just starting to go downhill... as I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the first two movies in the series.  The release is nicely done... audio/video quality was good... and you get a nice little collection of extras for this movie as well.
Pete