Author Topic: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey  (Read 1304 times)

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
« on: December 15, 2012, 05:27:53 PM »

Wikipedia Film Info

4.5 Staring

Thoughts: First .. what can I say but OH MY GOD!.

Okay .. that is out of my system.  I wasn't going to do that but hey .. I really love this film.

This film, the first of 3, is as Epic as the previous Lord of the Rings TrilogyPeter Jackson has lost nothing of his power and magesty of vision.  The breadth and scope of the vision we are again taken on is staggering.

Okay .. there has been some criticisms about the 48fps and/or 3d .. I like vinyl, and like vinyl I like my films the old fashioned way.  My mind creates all the 3d I need.  With the exception of Avatar, which I saw in both normal and 3d, I stay away from 3d.  I don't need things thrown at me to get all excited.

This film has all the great characters back ... Ian McKellen as Gandalf the Grey, Hugo Weaving as Elrond, Christopher Lee as Saruman the White, Ian Holm as an old Bilbo Baggins, Elijah Wood as Frodo Baggins.  And, although they give brilliant performances again, there are 2 standouts.  Andy Serkis as Gollum and Cate Blanchett as Galadriel.  Andy Serkis' motions are amazing.  But when Cate Blanchett appears my breath was taken away.  The perfect image of beauty.

And let's talk about Martin Freeman.  What a great choice for Bilbo Baggins he turned out to be.  I loved him as the great character Arthur Dent in one of my favorites The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy and of course earlier as Tim Canterbury in the original The Office.  He brings a warmth and humor to the character that could be easily missed with a lessor actor.

And to not forget the rest of the cast, Sylvester McCoy as Radagast the Brown is very funny indeed.  A great character.  Of course Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield is very good and Graham McTavish as Dwalin and Ken Stott as Balin are brothers.  Barry Humphries as the Great Goblin is very good.

The whole supporting cast is very good and I might go over them later in an expansion of this when the Blu-Ray comes out.

Like I said, this is an epic film.  We even learn where thunder comes from.

This is a must see for everyone who enjoys fantasy .. or just good film making.

Finally I want to take a moment to mention the music.  This score is without a doubt the best of all the LOFR films.  Howard Shore has out done himself.  Using bits and themes from the previous films and new stunning sounds to weave an brilliant soundtrack.  I have this one on order.

I can't wait to see this one again next week!
Thank you
David

samuelrichardscott

Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 01:32:18 AM »
Thanks for the review Dave. I'm looking forward to checking out the 48fps experience. A couple of friends have commented on the realism feel and how, although it didn't necessarily suit The Hobbit, it was an interesting experience.

MEJHarrison

Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 07:12:31 PM »
I didn't get to see the 48fps or 3D.  But what I did get was to see the film at 6:00PM on the 13th. :tease:

Not being a big fantasy person, I wasn't ever overjoyed to sit down to Lord of the Rings.  I'm hoping I'll end up liking this one more when it's all said and done.  And so far they're off to a great start.