Author Topic: The Discussions Thread  (Read 168423 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
The Discussions Thread
« on: May 24, 2008, 02:42:24 PM »
Like the new format Jimmy... I think I would have probably just started anew thread myself if I did it as well. Think it would have been  a little easier. But there is one problem while I was looking at it. I was thinking of the last 2 reviews I did the last couple days (Believe & Deaths of Ian Stone) and that is when I realized you missed the letter D. Looked through the rest... looks like that is the only one you missed though.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 07:36:46 PM by Eric »
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Complete List of Short Marathon Review
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 05:43:17 PM »
(...) I realized you missed the letter D. Looked through the rest... looks like that is the only one you missed though.
At my age I'm suppose to know all the letter of the alphabet. :whistle: I don't know how to fix that, since I can't post an answer between the letters C and E. I see only one solution : place C and D together.

Maybe Eric can insert a post between C and E since he is the administrator and place my name on it if I want to update it.

Najemikon

Re: The Discussions Thread
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 09:34:39 PM »
Do you have any control over how the forum index is displayed? Jimmy's forum might look neater if it lost some of the superfluous information. We don't need the icons in the first two columns, or the "Started By" at least.

Or could you even hide the forum link altogether and have a Jimmy's Reviews List Index Page instead with links to the threads? You two could still have the traditional link for editing.

Oh, yes and while I guess you'll be including the separate reviews as well as marathons, have you also considered the Movie Analysis threads? It would be nice to link those to reviews as well. Anything left in the tank, boys? Chop-chop!  :tease:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 09:36:52 PM by Jon »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »
Oh, yes and while I guess you'll be including the separate reviews as well as marathons, have you also considered the Movie Analysis threads? It would be nice to link those to reviews as well. Anything left in the tank, boys? Chop-chop!  :tease:
All the movie reviews are listed (marathon, single one, ...), the only thing that I don't place in it is the tv series review (I think that Karsten start something for that last week). For the movie analysis I don't know yet, they have their own forum and they are easy to find...

Touti

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 09:43:21 PM »
Do you have any control over how the forum index is displayed? Jimmy's forum might look neater if it lost some of the superfluous information. We don't need the icons in the first two columns, or the "Started By" at least.

I'll see what options are available but I doubt I can change much in that page.

Or could you even hide the forum link altogether and have a Jimmy's Reviews List Index Page instead with links to the threads? You two could still have the traditional link for editing.

What ?  Hide the link and replace it with links ?   :stars: :shrug:

What ?  Hide the links and.......Oh wait, sorry, I was still trying to figure that out  :hysterical: .  Jon, are you asking Jimmy to do this for ALL that you mentioned above ?  You do realize that this would mean manually indexing almost 75% of what's posted.  I don't think I understand what you meant here !

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 09:59:07 PM »
What ?  Hide the links and.......Oh wait, sorry, I was still trying to figure that out  :hysterical: .  Jon, are you asking Jimmy to do this for ALL that you mentioned above ?  You do realize that this would mean manually indexing almost 75% of what's posted.  I don't think I understand what you meant here !

What I mean by "replacing links with links" is actually, "replace forum links with a standard HTML page of links", or even a banner that appears on all the site pages, with the letters in a traditional row style.

Regards the other threads, you're right. To be honest, I've pretty dumbfounded by Jimmy's commitment to this from the day he decided to do it. It's a huge amount of work outweighed only by its value.  :bow:

I was trying to think if there was a practical way the review authors could generate the link and send it to him on a PM so he doesn't have to hunt around for it, but I think it would only get missed and then Jimmy wouldn't be able to rely on it.

Touti

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 10:09:11 PM »
All that I've done today is only temporary anyway.  I haven't put aside the reviews system project.  I think Jimmy's involvement and dedication with this is great but sooner or later the forum will grow with new members and posters, there will be lots of reviews and it will become a daunting task for any single person.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 11:52:33 PM »
Finally the update is done  :yahoo:

Every movie reviews at this date is in the new list. If one of your review is absent please let me know and give me its link and I will add it in my next update.

Starting with my next update I will always wrote the movie add in a post here after the update.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 11:54:09 PM by Jimmy »

lyonsden5

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 09:23:38 PM »
Not sure when it was added but I absolutely love the bar with the links at the top of the forum.  :cheers:

Makes me want to go watch some movies so I can review them and have them added to the list  :laugh:

Touti

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 09:26:56 PM »
Not sure when it was added but I absolutely love the bar with the links at the top of the forum.  :cheers:

Makes me want to go watch some movies so I can review them and have them added to the list  :laugh:

I was still working on it when you posted, it took a few trials to get it to look the way I wanted.  You can clik on the "Reviews List:" link to go to the forum or use the letters to go straight to the posts.

Najemikon

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 09:28:56 PM »

I was still working on it when you posted, it took a few trials to get it to look the way I wanted.  You can clik on the "Reviews List:" link to go to the forum or use the letters to go straight to the posts.

That's exactly what I was thinking of! Looks great and anyone who visits can feed straight into the reviews. :thumbup:

RossRoy

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 09:40:04 PM »

Don't want to be picky (yet I will be), but how about placing in-between the "News" bar, and the menu bar?

RossRoy

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 09:58:40 PM »
Eric :bow:

Looks good!

Touti

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 09:59:01 PM »

Don't want to be picky (yet I will be), but how about placing in-between the "News" bar, and the menu bar?

::)

:hysterical:

Done !  ;D

Najemikon

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 10:04:53 PM »
I was about to accuse of being seriously picky, should get out more, etc, etc, but actually, it looks much better there! :-[