Author Topic: Vincent Price Birthday Double Feature  (Read 4800 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Vincent Price Birthday Double Feature
« on: May 27, 2008, 07:38:22 PM »
Vincent Price Birthday Double Feature
Today, May 27th, is Vincent Price's birthday. He would have been 97 today. Vincent Price happens to be one of my favorite classic horror actors. So I thought I would celebrate the day by having a double feature of his movies. So today I watched...

Last Man on Earth
Set in a nightmare world populated with Vampire-like creatures,Scientist Robert Morgan (Vincent Price) is the only man immune to a plague that has turned the entire population of earth into vampires. Robert, in his effort to stay alive, becomes a monster slayer that terrifies the vampire communiity. A dark and intriguing Italian film that mixes science fiction with horror and was later remade as "The Omega Man" with Charleton Heston in the Vincent Price role.

My Thoughts:
This is one of my favorite of his movies I have seen so far. And the first of any of the versions of Omega Man I ever seen. Matter of fact I still haven't seen Omega Man. I have seen I Am Legend... which was good for what it was. But I believe that I prefer this version personally. The quality of the audio/video on this release is decent... but could have been much better. There is some dust and scratches visible on the film.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Vincent Price Birthday Double Feature
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 11:32:11 PM »

The Fly
A brilliant scientist becomes obsessed with perfecting a device that can transmit matter from one location to another. Successful in his initial test, he experiments with a human guinea pig -- himself. But an ordinary housefly makes the journey with him, and when they emerge, both creatures have been extraordinarily changed. This is the chilling story of a man fighting to retain his humanity, and a desperate woman's attempt to save the man she loves.

My Thoughts:
This is another one of my favorite Vincent Price movies. I always liked the story and the way it was told. It is also another of his movies that was later remade. In this case I definitely much prefer this version (even though I did like the remake as well). Vincent Price actually had a limited role on this movie... but he did an awesome job while he was on.
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 06:13:16 AM »
I am sorry, but you are wrong. :devil:

The Fly is an adaptation from a short story by George Langelaan and at that Cronenberg's version does a much better job (to Vincent's version defense, technology was limited in those days). It's like The Thing, where the remake was hands down much closer to the source material.

I like this version too, though. I have often imitated those cries for help near the end (*in high pitch voice* "Help, Help, Help").

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 02:39:35 PM »
What I like about this movie is the fact that it happen at Montreal (I think, at least in our province) and the people have a french accent, not a french canadian one. I always find that funny when a film think that they are no difference between us and the French from France.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 02:00:04 PM »
... no difference between us and the French from France.

What...there's a difference? :devil: :tomato:

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 08:51:47 PM »
 :hysterical: