Author Topic: Masters of Horror Marathon  (Read 24205 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Masters of Horror Marathon
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 02:09:21 PM »
[img]Though I must admit that Erin Brown girl is a real cute one... of course I always had a thing for redheads anyway... description calls her an "erotic scream queen" under another name (Misty Mundae). I may have to see what else she has done.
Pete if you take a look at my review topic you will see that I've watched many of her movies recently. "Sinful" could be one that you could like.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 02:17:19 PM »
Thanks Jimmy... I will be sure to check it out. :) Though being such a huge horror fan... I am pretty sure I would enjoy the horror related ones the most of all. I was looking at her bio/filmography and see she has done several horror related... and several movie parodies... they might be funny to check out as well. But I mainly focus on horror.  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 08:30:20 PM »

Pick Me Up
On a desolate stretch of mountain road, two urban myths collide in one night of chilling carnage - Wheeler ('Michael Moriarty' of "LAW & ORDER" and THE STUFF) is a friendly truck driver who enjoys slaughtering hitchhikers; Walker ('Warren Kole') is a charming hitchhiker who prefers to butcher anyone who gives him a ride. Caught in the dueling psychos' depraved game of cat and mouse, Stacia ('Fairuza Balk' of THE CRAFT and AMERICAN HISTORY X) must find a way to outwit Wheeler and Walker before it is too late. But is the most horrific twist of all yet to come.

'Laurene Landon' (MANIAC COP, HUNDRA) co-stars in this perverse tale written by 'splatterpunk' author 'David J. Schow' (THE CROW, TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE: THE BEGINNING) and directed by Master Of Horror 'Larry Cohen', the creator of IT'S ALIVE, BLACK CAESAR and Q: THE WINGED SERPENT.

My Thoughts:
This is another episode I like a lot. This one shows the dangers of hitchhiking. It has a bit of blood in it... but not really anything I consider gory. There is one problem I did have with this episode. I personally think that they went a bit too far with the twist at the end of the episode. I was able to get behind what was going on through-out the episode. But I just found the twist ending go to the extreme.

For those interested... here is the trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-GgH_kKk3s
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 04:31:57 PM »

Haeckel's Tale
In a time when the laws of science battled the secrets of magic, medical student Ernst Haeckel (Derek Cecil) believes the power of life, death and resurrection lay in his arrogant hands. But on a journey to visit his gravely ill father, he finds shelter in the home of an older man and his seductive young wife (Leela Savasta) who cannot be fulfilled by mortal hungers. Somewhere in the darkness of a nearby necropolis, a defiant necromancer (Jon Polito of BARTON FINK, MILLER'S CROSSING) will now summon them all to an orgy of the undead and unleash the ultimate depravity for those who do not heed the warning of HAECKEL'S TALE.

Directed by John McNaughton in association with horror legend George A. Romero, this startling mix of erotic desire and gut-ripping horror is adapted by series creator/executive producer Mick Garris from the short story by Clive Barker.

My Thoughts:
This is another episode I like a lot. Is a fun... yet interesting (if not somewhat sick) story. The effects and make-up are well done. And this one does have it's share of gore in it. As with all the season 1 episodes this release has good quality and a lot of extras to enjoy.

For those interested... here is the trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uq3fGkvtBM
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2008, 01:33:17 PM »

Imprint
In 19th century Japan, an American journalist (Billy Drago of THE HILLS HAVE EYES) searches for the prostitute he'd loved and left behind years earlier. But on an island where demons and whores rule the night, a deformed courtesan awaits with a tale of extreme cruelty and perverse vengeance. What follows is an unspeakable orgy of torment and depravity, where the lusts of the damned will inflict wounds that remain forever. This is IMPRINT.

Youki Kudoh of MYSTERY TRAIN and MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA co-stars in this justifiably controversial mindblower directed by Takashi Miike (AUDITION, ICHI THE KILLER), based on the Japanese horror novel 'Bokee Kyotee' and adapted by AUDITION screenwriter Daisuke Tengan, now presented completely uncut and uncensored for the first time ever in America.

My Thoughts:
This is the episode that never made it to the air on Showtime. That is something I personally have mixed feelings about. First of all... yes this was a very powerful and disturbing episode... maybe even to the point of seeing concerns about airing it on Showtime. I personally would have let it on if it was my decision... as I feel the customers has the right to make up their own mind if they want to watch it or not. But at the same time I do see Showtime having the right to say no... they will not air something. After all... it is their company. So I guess I can understand it even if I don't agree with it. I am just glad that we still got to see it come out on DVD. And with a nice collection of extras with it.

As I said... this is a bit of a disturbing episode. Among other things you have torture and abortion. Not exactly pleasant viewing. That is for sure. Over all... it is a good episode. I enjoyed seeing Billy Drago in it. He is the guy that played the Demon of Fear on Charmed.

For those interested... here is the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OyR5xyLuuw
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 06:28:59 PM »
Felt like an episode of Masters of Horror today... so thought I watch the next one that would be on this marathon. Will post here as I watch them... though won't really consider it a marathon anymore.  :bag: :P

The Damned Thing
Twenty-four years ago, outside a small Texas town, young Kevin Reddle watched helplessly as his oilman father brutally slaughtered his mother before being torn apart by an invisible force. Today the county Sheriff, Kevin (Sean Patrick Flanery of THE BOONDOCK SAINTS) remains haunted by memories of that night and the fear that "the damned thing" may someday return. Now as the citizens of Cloverdale explode into a homicidal frenzy, the one man who has uncovered the truth is about to meet his own horrific destiny. Marisa Coughlan (BOSTON LEGAL) and Ted Raimi (THE GRUDGE) co-star in this blood-soaked shocker written by Richard Christian Matheson from the classic short story by Ambrose Bierce.

My Thoughts:
I really enjoyed this episode. I can't say that this one has an extreme amount of gore in it (unlike episodes like Pelts) but it don't shy away from the gore either. So if you are not a fan of the gore... there is a few scenes you may want to close your eyes for.

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwrEYNhHBz4
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 01:52:12 PM »
Was searching for old marathons I never completed and stumbled upon this thread. Thought I felt in the mood for some horror so decided to bring it back to life!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2010, 03:09:13 PM »

Title: Masters of Horror: Family
Year: 2006
Director: John Landis
Rating: NR
Length: 58 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:

Stars:
George Wendt
John B. Scott
Meredith Monroe
Matt Keeslar
Hailey Guiel
Kerry Sandomirsky

Plot:
It's a beautiful day in suburbia where mild-mannered bachelor Harold Thompson (George Wendt of CHEERS) is happily at work in his basement building the perfect family. But when a young couple moves in nextdoor, Harold sets his sights on the sexy young wife (Meredith Monroe of DAWSON'S CREEK). In a sunshine world of picket fences and manicured lawns, is it ever possible to know what gruesome plans are percolating in the minds of your neighbors? Matt Keeslar (SCREAM 3, ROSE RED) co-stars in this grisly black comedy with a killer twist from Director John Landis (AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON, ANIMAL HOUSE) and Writer Brent Hanley (FRAILTY).

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Gallery
Production Notes
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This episode is a good mixture of horror and comedy. Not to mention it has it's fair share of gore as well. I thought George Wendt was great for this episode. The story is also good... found it very interesting with a nice little plot twist at the end. Definitely one worth checking out!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete