Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: 5/23-5/25  (Read 10356 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: 5/23-5/25
« on: May 24, 2008, 02:06:53 AM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
5/23-5/25
I figured that since I been getting a lot of new movies lately that I would not do any special theme to my marathon this weekend. I figure this weekend I will watch a little of everything... some new stuff... some old stuff.  So this weekend I watched...

Believe
When you mess with the dead, be prepared to pay the consequences! Ben Stiles loves to scare people. But he's about to get the fright of his life when the mysterious wailing ghost of Wickwire House beckons Ben and his friend Katherine into the eerie world of the supernatural. As he puts his life--and his sanity--on the line to uncover the shocking truth behind the haunting, he finds himself in over his head!

A hair-raising thriller that will leave you breathless!

My Thoughts:
This is a fun ghost story for the whole family.  One that I never even heard of until a friend told me about it a few years ago... telling me how much she loves the movie. So I just had to add it to my collection. The story of 2 teens having to solve the mystery of a ghost that is going between their 2 homes. That is the main storyline... but I have to admit my favorite part of the movie has to be where the 2 teens takes care of the local bullies by turning an old abandoned house into a haunted house to try to scare them off. That was just plain fun to watch them set up and pull the prank. Katherine is played by a young Elisha Cuthbert (TV's 24, House of Wax)... so that was also pretty cool to see. The dvd itself is decent but nothing special. Has average Audio/video quality and only a few extras. But overall... this is a movie I enjoy very much and feel comfortable recommending it to anyone.... adults and kids alike.

If you are curios about this movie... you can check out the trailer at Video Detective HERE.
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: 5/23-5/25
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 02:09:08 PM »
Best avatar yet Pete. :thumbup:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 02:21:49 PM »
Thanks Kathy  ;D
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 02:35:02 PM »

Deaths of Ian Stone: After Dark Horrorfest
On an otherwise ordinary night, the young Ian Stone encounters a mysterious creature and is forced into the path of an oncoming train. Rather than facing certain death, Ian finds himself reborn into a new life that feels strangely familiar. After his second death, it becomes apparent that Ian is being hunted by an evil presence, and will be forced to die every day until he can solve the mystery of his own life.

My Thoughts:
I really couldn't wait to watch this one after my friend gave it to me. It is one that looks no more then OK going by the trailer. But soon after seeing the trailer my friend (as well as a couple other people) said that in this case you can not go by the trailer... to watch the movie... it is much better then the trailer shows it to be. After watching the movie I can agree with that. The thing is... if they added any more to the trailer then they did it would spoil the movie. In my opinion... the movie starts out a little slow. But once it really gets into the story it really takes off. No complaints quality wise. Both audio and video is very good. When it comes to extras.. there I am a little disappointed. There is not much extras on the release to talk about. But over all... a really good movie... glad I have it in my collection. It is one I will definitely be watching again.

For those that are interested Here is the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eSxK9YWW8s
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 07:54:49 PM »
My Thoughts:
I really couldn't wait to watch this one after my friend gave it to me. It is one that looks no more then OK going by the trailer. But soon after seeing the trailer my friend (as well as a couple other people) said that in this case you can not go by the trailer... to watch the movie... it is much better then the trailer shows it to be. After watching the movie I can agree with that. The thing is... if they added any more to the trailer then they did it would spoil the movie. In my opinion... the movie starts out a little slow. But once it really gets into the story it really takes off. No complaints quality wise. Both audio and video is very good. When it comes to extras.. there I am a little disappointed. There is not much extras on the release to talk about. But over all... a really good movie... glad I have it in my collection. It is one I will definitely be watching again.
While not an entirely new concept, the trailer sure looks interesting... :thumbup: I want to watch this at some point...

EDIT:
For those who watched the trailer and thought that face looked familiar: affter adding it to the Wish List I found that the main actor also was in the Texas Chainsaw massacre remake as well as Cloverfield.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 07:57:40 PM by ya_shin »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 07:59:26 PM »

Return to House on Haunted Hill
The house has a second story, even more terrifying then the first! When a new group of unsuspecting visitors enters the legendary 'House on Haunted Hill,' they come face to horrifying face with an unimaginable, unrelenting evil. Trapped with the spirits of the sadistic Dr. Vannacutt (Jeffrey Combs) and the insane asylum inmates who died there, the newcomers discover one by one that this time the house won't let anyone leave alive.

My Thoughts:
Another one I really enjoyed watching a lot. I went into it not expecting much... what with being a direct-to-dvd release and all... so that probably helped me a bit. But even though it did have a couple small slow spots... for the most part I really enjoyed this movie. This DVD is unrated.. so it is no real surprise that there is a fairly nice amount of gore in it. The quality looks good... and as for extras... there is a few things here... but I really didn't take the time to look at them this time around.

For those that are interested Here is the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqzZjx8ScDM
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 08:02:27 PM »
My Thoughts:
While not an entirely new concept, the trailer sure looks interesting... :thumbup: I want to watch this at some point...

EDIT:
For those who watched the trailer and thought that face looked familiar: affter adding it to the Wish List I found that the main actor also was in the Texas Chainsaw massacre remake as well as Cloverfield.

You know... I thought he looked familiar... but never bothered to look. I just recently watched Cloverfield... so that must have been it. I haven't watched the remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre in a long time!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 12:48:25 AM »

Sabrina: The Teenage Witch
It's her 16th birthday, and Sabrina (MELISSA JOAN HART) is feeling a little strange. She just transferred to a new school, moved in with her two otherworldly aunts, and nothing is quite what it seems. Things can only get more complicated when Sabrina learns that she's a real witch. Now, she's got to make friends, memorize spells, and find a way to get a date for the school dance. It'll take a little hocus-pocus and a whole lot of adventure before Sabrina learns to control her powers and find true love.

My Thoughts:
I felt like something a little more light hearted next. So thought I would watch this TV Movie that originally aired on Showtime... and started the series of the same name. The first thing you notice when watching this movie is that it has different actresses playing the aunts then what the series has. After watching the series for years this was a little on the weird side. Then there was this one young guy (playing Seth) that looked familiar to me... but I just couldn't place it. So after the movie I found out why... it was a very young Ryan Reynolds. Over-all I enjoyed the movie... was a lot of fun... and it kinda put me in the mood for the series again. Unfortunately I only have season 1 so far. No complaints quality wise... looks as good as it did when it first aired. But I do have to complain when it comes to extras... because there was none what so ever!

For those of you that are interested you can watch the trailer HERE.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 01:57:30 PM »

Castle Freak
Stuart Gordon takes you on a pulsepounding rollercoaster ride in Castle Freak...one of the most macabre thrillers you'll ever experince. John Reilly (Jeffrey Combs - RE-ANIMATOR), Susan (Barbara Crampton - YOUNG & THE RESTLESS), and their daughter come face to face with terror when they travel to Italy to movie into a castle they have inherited. They soon discover it is haunted by a relentless bloodthristy creature. When mutilated bodies start turning up, John must uncover the Reilly family's dark secret to save his wife and child from the sadistic being.

My Thoughts:
Ok... this is the last of the 3 my friend gave me for my B'day. The first thing I notice when I go to put this one in is that it is made by Full Moon Entertainment... this tells me definitely low budget horror... but possibly entertaining. Well... in this case the movie was very entertaining. I really enjoyed every minute of it. Right from the beginning the characters were good (you really cared about the characters).. the story was interesting... and the effects were good. This movie is top-notch low budget horror here. The movie is full framed... but if I am not mistaken this was a direct to video release.. so I believe it is the correct aspect ratio for this movie. Quality of both audio and video is good... and there is a nice collection of extras... mostly advertising other Full Moon movies and collectibles. But there is the trailer for the movie itself... as well as a making of featurette included as well.

For those interested... here is the trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj-HQUCgZww
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 04:01:24 PM »
It's been a long time since I have seen Castle Freak... (saw it at a film festival in Germany). I am hesitating to get it on DVD, as it's apparently not easy to find a full uncut version, which, knowing that it's out there, is of course what I want.

Castle Freak has fan favorite Jeffrey Combs in it (the other one, next to Bruce) and was directed by Stuart Gordon of Re-Animator fame, who also went on to direct RobotJox and two episodes of Masters of Horror.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 04:10:43 PM »
This is the first I ever seen or even heard of the movie... when my friend told me about it. So I guess I seen a cut version of it. Which is kinda surprising as it was pretty graphic as it was. :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 04:46:53 PM »
Well... I think I will call it quits early today... as I have gotten a strong urge to do another kind of marathon. So thought I would rather start it today. This was actually a really good marathon... as I enjoyed everything I watched.  :thumbup:
Pete