Author Topic: Classic Monster Movie Marathon  (Read 31983 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Classic Monster Movie Marathon
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2008, 08:45:46 PM »

Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954
Scientists drug and capture the creature, who becomes enamored with the head scientist’s female assistant (Julie Adams). The lonely creature, “a living amphibious missing link,” escapes and kidnaps the object of his affection. Chief scientist (Richard Carlson) then launches a crusade to rescue his assistant and cast the ominous creature back to the depths from where he came. Well-acted and directed, and with Bud Westmore’s brilliantly designed monster, Creature From The Black Lagoon remains an enduring tribute to the imaginative genius of its Hollywood creators.

My Thoughts:
This is one I enjoyed very much. I thought the whole story was interesting. I would really like to see some of the sequels to this one... so it may be the next Legacy set that I get. the girl in this movie (Julie Adams) looks very familiar... but I just can't place where from. I looked for her listing in the rest of my collection... but nothing to familiar came up.

Well... that is it... finally did it. I completed all the Classic Universal Monster Movies that I have in my collection (a total of 18). I really enjoyed the past several days of watching these... over all I had a great time... nothing sticking out as a really bad movie in my opinion. Which is always a good thing. But I will admit over the last day or so I did start to feel like I was getting a little burned out on these. So I am kinda happy it is completed.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2008, 09:04:51 PM »
I am about to order the Val Lewton boxset. I bet you'd enjoy that, Pete. I Walked With a Zombie, Cat People, Ghost Ship... marvellous stuff!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2008, 09:18:22 PM »
Thanks Jon... think I will slip that on my Father's Day wishlist.... which my daughter is already asking me about.  :P
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2008, 06:02:24 AM »
Thanks Jon... think I will slip that on my Father's Day wishlist.... which my daughter is already asking me about.  :P
:hmmmm: that seems somewhat unfair... You get gifts on birthday and father's day and Brittany only has birthday going for her...

Halo2

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2008, 06:27:36 AM »
I hearby declare August 17th to be Daughter's Day!

:cheers:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2008, 11:39:01 AM »
:hmmmm: that seems somewhat unfair... You get gifts on birthday and father's day and Brittany only has birthday going for her...

LOL... nah... she will be getting something special from me next month as well. Something I started with her back when she was only in Kindergarten.... Every year when she finishes the school year I would buy her something nice to show her that I appreciate all her hard work throughout the school year.  ;D
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2008, 12:07:29 PM »

LOL... nah... she will be getting something special from me next month as well. Something I started with her back when she was only in Kindergarten.... Every year when she finishes the school year I would buy her something nice to show her that I appreciate all her hard work throughout the school year.  ;D

Yeah, yeah, yeah... I bet her birthday doesn't last a month like yours!  :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2008, 01:38:30 PM »
LOL... I will give you that much Jon.  I can't help it if I have a lot of people that likes to give me stuff early. Matter of fact I have another coming from a friend that likes to give me my gift early. It could be here any day now.  ;D But this is the last one I am expecting from a person that gives it to me early. From here it should only be stuff on my actual birthday.
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2008, 01:42:04 PM »

:thumbup:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2008, 01:46:50 PM »
Hey Achim... I see from your banner that you been watching some classic monster movies yourself. How is the Invisible Man set... as good as the other sets?
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2008, 01:53:25 PM »
Hey Achim... I see from your banner that you been watching some classic monster movies yourself. How is the Invisible Man set... as good as the other sets?
Yes, they have the word "Man" in the titles which accomodates this month's marathon  ;D

I like the original Invisible Man the most (given how old the movie is the effects are really great). Then I watched Invisible Man Returns, which is passable and actually connected to the first movie. The I watched Invisible Woman in whch the attempted to turn it into a comedy, with some crime elements on the side, which really fell fat for me for the most part.

I'd say, if you have the first one as a stand-alone, then you don't really have to bother with this set (unless just to complete the series); the films will not totally reward you.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2008, 01:56:19 PM »
Thanks Achim... I will at least put that one on hold for a while. But who knows... after I get the other sets I need I may feel the need to get it... to complete the collection.  :P
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2008, 01:57:42 PM »

I thought every day was Daughter's Day! ;D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2008, 02:17:19 PM »
LOL... pretty much is Kathy... pretty much is! :)
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2008, 03:46:38 PM »
Thanks Achim... I will at least put that one on hold for a while. But who knows... after I get the other sets I need I may feel the need to get it... to complete the collection.  :P

To clarify, if you don't own Invisible Man yet, I'd get the set just for that one; the other films are clearly labeled Bonus features and as that they are acceptable. If you have it already, I would at least ot make it a priority in any way to get the set.

Inspired by your inquiry I just watched The Invisible Man's Revenge. Well, another crime story with a dash of silliness. Not entirely bad. Rather disturbing almost, as the Invisible man was originally cheated of his share of the treasure they found and left for dead in Africa. Upon his return they cheat him again. I mean, if that's no reason to seek revenge....? Of course, once he's invisible he is turning to the dark side... At least better than the Invisible Woman.