Author Topic: My PILOT Marathon  (Read 35050 times)

richierich

Re: My PILOT Marathon
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 02:29:00 PM »
MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE - SERIES ONE - PILOT

First aired: 1/9/2000   
Perhaps the most original sitcom pilot in recent years, this first episode combines sharp writing with a hyperbolic camera style reminiscent of Parker Lewis Can't Lose. Malcolm introduces us to his world, dominated by omnipresent schoolyard bully Spath and made worse by his enforced friendship with Stevie, an asthmatic wheelchair genius. When a battery of tests reveals that Malcolm has an IQ of 165, he is moved into Stevie's special accelerated class, despite his protests that "around here being intelligent is exactly the same as being radioactive." On the bright side, Malcolm discovers a practical application for intelligence when he and Stevie spontaneously hit on a solution to Spath's persistent tyranny.

I have watched a few episodes on tv of this series, but never thought a great deal of it whilst watching ad-hoc. The pilot however I really enjoyed, similarities to the Wonder Years but having it's own identity, very entertaining with great jokes from all the characters, introducing Malcolm and his genius status. The subtle jokes like all the houses for sale around his, the in your face gags like the Dad having his back (and other bits) shaved at the breakfast table - very good stuff indeed.
Overall, this is a good start to the series and I will probably watch it over time in parts.

richierich

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2008, 02:39:12 PM »
UGLY BETTY - SERIES ONE - PILOT

First aired: 9/28/2006
Betty has always dreamed of working in the publishing world, but it seems as though there's no place for the non-thin and non-beautiful in the business. People already have their minds set in the idea that beautiful women are only the thin and perfect! Betty really wants a job in that wonderful, yet cruel, world. But can she really find a place in it?

Ok I had female company when we watched this, so thats my excuse for putting this pilot in to the player.
However, I must admit I did find it ok and a few belly laughs were had along the way with this 'devil wears prada'/'ugly duckling' sister series.
The show wasn't what I was expecting, in a good colourful way.
America Ferrera as Betty totally steals the show, how crap do you feel for her during that photoshoot?
This series is still more designed for the female viewer, but I will now not be adverse to sitting down and watching a show or two.

richierich

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 10:38:50 AM »
TRU CALLING - SEASON ONE - PILOT

In the series premiere episode of Tru Calling, we meet Tru Davies, who suddenly discovers she can save lives. She is a smart and sexy recent college graduate who lands a job on the midnight shift at the city morgue.
On her first night, Tru questions reality when she hears a beautiful murder victim asking for her help. But the next morning, Tru wakes up to find that she is back at the beginning of that very same day – twelve hours before the woman's death that only Tru knows about.
Tru must use her newfound ability to go back in time so she can try to stop the tragedy before it actually happens, while at the same time rescuing members of her own family from their dangerous and self-destructive lives.

Thanks again guys, a good recommendation. Why did Fox can this?
An old idea revamped in an entertaining way. This pilot gives good background on why Tru can hear the dead, and the links between her brother, sister and boyfriend. Nicely entwined storyline making good viewing, and overall acting better than standard for a new pilot show.
On the negative, I would have liked to have seen more emotion from the lead, dead people speaking to you, dealing with potential murder/suicide, groundhogging back to the previous day etc etc were taken a little too much in her stride.
Overall, this was a very good pilot, I'll complete this series soon.

richierich

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 10:43:06 AM »
RED DWARF - SERIES 1 - PILOT - THE END

First aired: 2/15/1988   
Aboard the Jupiter Mining Corporation vessel Red Dwarf, Dave Lister, a lowly 3rd Technician, smuggles aboard a cat and is consequently confined to suspended animation for a severe violation of ship's regulations.
During his time in stasis his bunkmate Arnold Rimmer, an equally, if not more lowly 2nd Technician, is forced to perform the maintenance duties alone and inefficiently repairs a drive plate, causing it to fail and subjecting the entire crew to deadly radiation that kills them all almost instantly. 3 million years pass until Holly (the ship's computer) decides the radiation levels have lowered sufficiently and releases Lister from stasis and tells him of the accident and also resurrects Rimmer as a hologram to be a companion for Lister. After the initial shock, Lister realizes that he has the run of the ship, allowing him to be, basically, himself: a lazy, easygoing slob without a care in the world. In addition, Rimmer and Lister discover that his cat was pregnant, and had been sealed in the ship's hold during the accident and her descendants have bred there for the last 3 million years and have evolved into a humanoid, only one of whom is still on the ship. When he discovers his new friend, Lister decides to complete his dream of owning a farm on Fiji and orders Holly to set a course for Earth. THE BEGINNING!

I knew I would hate this, purchased the set for a friend but have never enjoyed the few episodes I've seen over the years. The humour is written for adolescents and students, and just wasn't funny (to me). Craig Charles is such a fake and a tosser this pilot never had a fighting chance with me. The best part was when everyone died, shame they didn't stay that way.
I'm sure this series gets better hence the volume produced, but it will be a long time before I sit down to view more of it.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 10:48:13 AM by richierich »

richierich

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 10:55:49 AM »
HOME IMPROVEMENT - SERIES ONE - PILOT

First aired: 9/17/1991   
After Jill explicitly tells Tim not to touch the dishwasher, he breaks it in an attempt to make it more powerful; more of a "man's" dishwasher. Jill has a job interview, but she doesn't get it and when Tim tries to comfort her, he only makes matters worse. After talking to Wilson, Tim tries again and succeeds.

Sickly nice Tim Allen (he must have something bad about him!) stars in this long running series, viewing the pilot after having watched quite a few episodes from different seasons on tv. This is what I call perfect dinnertime viewing, doesn't need huge amounts of concentration and you can take your eyes off it for a few minutes and not miss anything. Standard sitcom fare, I will watch this on and off over time, nothing bad to say about it, it is was it is!

Najemikon

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 12:26:56 PM »
The humour is written for adolescents and students, and just wasn't funny (to me). Craig Charles is such a fake and a tosser

:o
Well! Twist my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska!

I am not an adolescent, nor a bloody student and Red Dwarf is one of the very best sitcoms. Ever. A lot better than sodding Friends. :tease:

A fave scene

And my all-time favourite, from the same episode!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 01:29:56 PM »
TRU CALLING - SEASON ONE - PILOT
On the negative, I would have liked to have seen more emotion from the lead, dead people speaking to you, dealing with potential murder/suicide, groundhogging back to the previous day etc etc were taken a little too much in her stride.
Overall, this was a very good pilot, I'll complete this series soon.

I thought about that the first time I saw the show too. But when it came down to it I chalked that up to...

With the power of being able to do what she does... she also has the ability to process and handle such things. I mean it is not like it don't show how much she cares... it does so very much... but along with what she can do... she is a very strong person and can handle pretty much anything that gets thrown at her. I ended up feeling it is just part of who she is.. and part of her to be able to do what she has to do.
Pete

richierich

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 04:31:30 PM »
The humour is written for adolescents and students, and just wasn't funny (to me). Craig Charles is such a fake and a tosser

I am not an adolescent, nor a bloody student and Red Dwarf is one of the very best sitcoms. Ever. A lot better than sodding Friends. :tease:

:hysterical: :laugh: :hysterical:

Don't forget I reviewed the pilot primarily, perhaps the show would grow on me  :-\
Or maybe I just hate Craig Charles that much  :redcard:

richierich

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 04:50:18 PM »
DAMAGES - SEASON ONE - PILOT

First aired: 7/24/2007   
Attorney Patty Hewes hires a new associate, Ellen Parsons, to help her as she tries to ruin Arthur Frobisher. Hewes represents a group of employees that are suing Frobisher after he sold his company, leaving the employees devastated. Ellen is unaware that her best friend, Katie Connor, is working for Frobisher.

Thanks Jon, you were right!
This felt less like a 'pilot episode' and more like the beginning to a mini-series or film.
I was hooked from the beginning, a series that takes it's audience seriously with skilful writing and superb direction.
The slow-paced nature only adds to the tremendous suspense, I am at writing in a real 'WTF' is going to happen next trance-like state  :fingerchew:
Excellent plot twists and a great cast makes this a winner for me. I can even forgive Ted Danson being a star in it!
But this is Glenn Close's show. What a superb performance in the opener, so perfect a role for her perceived attitude fueled personna.
I cannot wait to get back to this series at the end of the marathon

« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 03:56:20 PM by richierich »

richierich

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2008, 04:54:15 PM »
NUMBERS - SERIES ONE - PILOT

First aired: 1/23/2005   
To help capture a serial rapist-turned-killer, FBI Special Agent Don Eppes recruits his genius brother Charlie, who uses a mathematical equation to identify the killer's point of origin by working back from the crime scene locations.

A complete blind buy when I purchased this due primarily to Ridley Scott involvement, after watching the pilot episode, I have to say it was money well spent. The pilot immediately grabbed my interest, the characters appeared real and the interactions are plausible, the direction slick, and the pace perfect. The premise of using maths to solve serial crimes seems ridiculous, but the way with demonstrations and examples it is explained through the programme graphically illustrates that indeed there may be patterns within apparent random crime sprees.
All in all the perfect pilot which leaves you wanting more of the same. 

« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 10:39:51 AM by richierich »

richierich

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 04:58:27 PM »
CHEERS - SERIES 1 - PILOT - Give me a ring sometime

First aired: 9/30/1982   
Stuffy & sophisticated Diane Chambers is dumped by her fiance in a blue collar Boston bar where she meets baseball star-turned-bar owner Sam Malone.

The pilot was totally as expected, introduced the 'friendly' characters in this long running hit that began in 1982 and setting the tone for the remainder of the years. Again for me Cheers is the type of programme you can flick on and off, pick up whenever you feel like it etc. Perfect for when you are eating or just need half an hours untaxing viewing.
I just love Norm (George Wendt), I knew someone just like him who 'lived' on a barstool in a local boozer in UK  :cheers:

Nostalgic viewing

« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 04:01:58 PM by richierich »

Najemikon

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2008, 05:27:42 PM »

:hysterical: :laugh: :hysterical:

Don't forget I reviewed the pilot primarily, perhaps the show would grow on me  :-\
Or maybe I just hate Craig Charles that much  :redcard:

Fair enough! I think the clips I posted were from Series 6. It definitely found its form from series 3, so use those as a more typical representation. I defy to not find "Change the bulb" funny! :training:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2008, 06:55:24 PM »
The humour is written for adolescents and students, and just wasn't funny (to me).

Red Dwarf is a great series! It had completely won me over with its second episode "Future Echoes" when I was watching it the first time.

richierich

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 03:46:43 PM »
Care to comment on Jericho...?

(It's a series I consider buying; I like it when I know how many sets I'll need to complete the whole series :laugh:)

Review now done Achim - hope you buy it so we can discuss  :tv:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2008, 06:12:29 PM »
Review now done Achim - hope you buy it so we can discuss  :tv:
Your review is not entirely positive here, so I may have to brood a little more whether I want to get this or not... :-\ (I have a bunch of stuff lined up at amazon.co.uk, including Black Books and Big Train) and then I am planning on a Blu Ray order in June... :headscratch: (too many discs, too little...)