Author Topic: 2019 Horror/Halloween Marathon  (Read 10694 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
2019 Horror/Halloween Marathon
« on: September 02, 2019, 08:34:48 PM »

2019 Horror/Halloween Marathon
This year I decided to attempt a 2 month marathon for the first time ever. I certainly have enough horror in my collection to do so. Here is hoping I can get lots watched in the next 2 months!

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Horror/Halloween Marathon
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 09:43:08 PM »
     Pumpkinhead: Collector's Edition (1988/United States)
Trailer |
Shout! Factory (United States)
Director:Stan Winston
Writing:Mark Patrick Carducci (Story By), Stan Winston (Story By), Richard C. Weinman (Story By), Ed Justin (Original Material By), Mark Patrick Carducci (Screenwriter), Gary Gerani (Screenwriter)
Length:87 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Lance Henriksen as Ed Harley
Jeff East as Chris
John D'Aquino [John DiAquino] as Joel
Kimberly Ross as Kim
Joel Hoffman as Steve

Plot:
When a group of teenagers inadvertently kill his only son, Ed Harley (Lance Henriksen, Aliens) seeks the powers of a backwoods witch to bring the child back to life. But instead, she invokes "the pumpkinhead" – a monstrously clawed demon which, once reborn, answers only to Ed's bloodlust. But as the creature wreaks it's slow, unspeakable tortures on the teens, Ed confronts a horrifying secret about his connection to the beast – and realizes that he must find a way to stop its deadly mission before he becomes one with the creature forever. Also starring Jeff East (Deadly Blessing), Joel Hoffman (Slumber Party Massacre II) and Kerry Remsen (A Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge), this "atmospheric, moralistic tale" (TV Guide) delivers demonic horror at its blood-drenched best.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Interviews

My Thoughts:

This is the first time seeing this film on blu-ray as I recently upgraded. I have a special place in my heart for horror from the 80's. As that is when I really discovered my love of horror and was watching non-stop. I am a fan of Lance Henriksen and he is good in this film though I wouldn't say it is a favorite role. Even to this day I like the look of Pumpkinhead. Time has not harmed it a bit in my opinion. I enjoyed this one... a good way to waste an hour and a half. The disc itself looks good and has a nice selection of extras.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 01:15:20 AM »
     The Howling: Collector's Edition (1981/United States)
Trailer |
Shout! Factory, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios (United States)
Director:Joe Dante
Writing:Gary Brandner (Original Material By), John Sayles (Screenwriter), Terence H. Winkless (Screenwriter)
Length:91 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, English: DTS-HD Master Audio: Mono, Commentary: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Dee Wallace as Karen White
Patrick Macnee as Dr. George Waggner
Dennis Dugan as Chris
Christopher Stone (1942) as R. William (Bill) Neill
Belinda Balaski as Terry Fisher

Plot:
From the director of Gremlins and Piranha comes the ultimate masterpiece of primal terror. Filled with edge-of-your-seat suspense, "genuine thrills [and] amazing special effects" (Us), this riveting werewolf tale sinks its teeth into your deepest fears and never lets go.

Severely shaken after a near-fatal encounter with a serial killer, TV newscaster Karen White (Dee Wallace, E.T.) takes some much-needed time off. Hoping to conquer her inner demons, she heads for "the Colony," a secluded retreat where her new neighbors are just a tad too eager to make her feel at home. Also, there seems to be a bizarre link between her would-be attacker and this supposedly safe haven. And when, after nights of being tormented by savage shrieks and unearthly cries, Karen ventures into the forest to find answers, she makes a terrifying discovery. Now she must fight not only for her life...but for her very soul!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Interviews
  • Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:

This is another one that I enjoy quite a bit. Released the same year as An American Werewolf in London... but doesn't rank quite as high for me. Don't get me wrong It is still an entertaining movie that I enjoyed a lot. But time wasn't as good to this one as it was to An American Werewolf in London. While watching it I felt like I was watching a nearly 40 year old movie. That wasn't the case on the other one. I did enjoy Dee Wallace in this movie. She drew me right in. And I especially enjoyed how they ended the movie. This one also had good werewolf transformation effects.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 01:30:41 AM »
     Stephen King's Silver Bullet: Widescreen Collection (1985/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Paramount Home Video (United States)
Director:Daniel Attias
Writing:Stephen King (1947) (Original Material By), Stephen King (1947) (Screenwriter)
Length:95 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono

Stars:
Gary Busey as Uncle Red
Everett McGill as Reverend Lowe
Corey Haim as Marty Coslaw
Megan Follows as Jane Coslaw
Robin Groves as Nan Coslaw

Plot:
Something is killing off townsfolk in Tarker's Mills. Something mysterious. Something ingenious. Something remotely human. But the only person in town with courage to stop this lurking menace is a 13-year-old boy, confined to a wheelchair since birth. Adapted to the screen by suspense master Stephen King from his "Cycle of the Werewolf" novelette, this exhilarating thriller features astounding special effects by three-time Oscar® winner Carlo Rambaldi ("E.T.," "Alien," "King Kong").

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

I have loved it since I first saw it when I was just a teen. I absolutely love the supped up wheel chair... The Silver Bullet! I really enjoyed the scene when he first got it... finding out just how fast it went. I believe Stephen King's take on the werewolf legend is just right on the spot. And I liked who the werewolf turned out to be. While it is not what I would call a gory movie... there is a scene or two that shows it's fair share of blood. There was nothing about this movie that was not just plain enjoyable. It is definitely one of my favorite werewolf movies.If by chance you never seen this film it is one I highly recommend!

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 01:31:46 AM »
I really wish they would put Silver Bullet on Blu-ray!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 09:59:55 PM »
     Dracula Untold (2014/United States)
Trailer |IMDb |Wikipedia |
Universal Studios Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Gary Shore
Writing:Matt Sazama (Screenwriter), Burk Sharpless (Screenwriter)
Length:92 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: DTS: 5.1, French: DTS: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Luke Evans as Vlad
Sarah Gadon as Mirena
Dominic Cooper as Mehmed
Art Parkinson as Ingeras
Charles Dance (1946) as Master Vampire

Plot:
Witness the origin story of one of legend's most captivating figures in the action-adventure, Dracula Untold. The year is 1462 and Transylvania has enjoyed a prolonged period of peace under the just and fair rule of the battle-weary Vlad III, the prince of Wallachia (Luke Evans, Fast & Furious 6, The Hobbit Series). But when Sultan Mehmed II (Dominic Cooper, Captain America: The First Avenger) demands 1,000 of Wallachia's boys – including Vlad's own son – become child soldiers in his army, Vlad must enter into a Faustian bargain to save his family and his people. He gains the strength of 100 men, the speed of a falling star, and the power to crush his enemies. In exchange, he's inflicted with an insatiable thirst for human blood that could force him into a life of darkness and destroy all that he holds dear.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

I thought it was cool to see an origin film for Dracula. And it has a lot of good action. Though I personally would have liked a little more horror. I'm not really familiar with the cast for this one ...but they did a fine job. I found it to be entertaining but it left em wanting more.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 11:15:28 PM »
     ParaNorman (2012/United States)

Universal Studios Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Sam Fell, Chris Butler
Writing:Chris Butler (Writer)
Length:93 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), Spanish: DTS: 5.1, French: DTS: 5.1

Stars:
Kodi Smit-McPhee as Norman Babcock (voice)
Tucker Albrizzi as Neil (voice)
Anna Kendrick as Courtney Babcock (voice)
Casey Affleck as Mitch (voice)
Christopher Mintz-Plasse as Alvin (voice)

Plot:
From the makers of Coraline comes the story of Norman, a boy who must use his ability to see and speak with the dead to save his town from a centuries-old curse.

In addition to spooky zombies, he'll also have to take on mysterious ghosts, wily witches and, worst of all, clueless grown-ups. But this young ghoul whisperer will soon find his paranormal abilities pushed to their otherworldly limits. Featuring the voice talents of Kodi Smit-McPhee, Anna Kendrick, Casey Affleck, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Leslie Mann, Jeff Garlin and John Goodman, it's a frightfully funny and magically thrilling adventure for the whole family in eye-popping stop-motion.

Extras:
  • Audio Commentary
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

This is one I enjoyed very much. It is fun and well animated. I really enjoyed the story line. It even has a pretty good atmosphere for an animated film. I think this one is worth watching no matter your age group. It is good for adults and kids alike. Well maybe not the younger kids. It may be a little dark for them.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 11:23:34 PM »
     The Curse of La Llorona (2019/United States)

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:
Writing:
Length:93 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Atmos: 3D, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:

Plot:
A terrifying, timeless legend comes to life in The Curse of La Llorona. She is The Weeping Woman, and those who hear her death call in the night are doomed. She creeps in the shadows and preys on the children, desperate to replace her own. In 1970s Los Angeles, ignoring the eerie warning of a troubled mother suspected of child endangerment, a social worker and her own young kids are soon drawn into a frightening supernatural realm. Their only hope of surviving La Llorona's deadly wrath may be a disllusioned priest and the mysticism he practices to keep evil at bay, on the fringes where fear and faith collide.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

This one I liked quite a bit. It has a good story line. Good atmosphere and the cast does a good job. I watched this one on Vudu so hope to get the blu-ray in my collection before long.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 07:15:46 PM »
     Brightburn (2019/United States)
Trailer |
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:
Writing:
Length:90 min.
Video:Widescreen :1
Audio:
Subtitles:

Stars:

Plot:
What if a child from another world crash-landed on Earth, but instead of becoming a hero to mankind, he proved to be something far more sinister ? With Brightburn, the visionary filmaker of Guardians of the Galaxy and Slither presents a startling, subversive take on a radical new genre: superhero horror.

Extras:

My Thoughts:

A film that puts two of my favorite genres together.... horror and superhero films. I liked it quite a bit... it is definitely a fun watch. and had some pretty cool kills in it as well. I am happy with the way they ended it as well. There is a couple names here I recognized but not all that familiar with. But they all did a fine job.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 11:38:48 PM »
     The Ring (2002/United States)
Paramount Home Entertainment, Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Gore Verbinski
Writing:Ehren Kruger (Screenwriter), Koji Suzuki (Original Material By)
Length:115 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Naomi Watts as Rachel
Martin Henderson as Noah
David Dorfman as Aidan
Brian Cox (1946) as Richard Morgan
Jane Alexander (1939) as Dr. Grasnik

Plot:
The Ring is the critically acclaimed, smash-hit thriller David Ansen of Newsweek says "raises some serious goosebumps!" This cinematic thrill ride will keep you on the edge of your seat from the stunning opening to the astonishing conclusion!

It begins as just another urban legend – the whispered tale of a nightmarish videotape that causes anyone who watches it to die seven days later. But when four teenagers all meet with mysterious deaths exactly one week after watching just such a tape, investigative reporter Rachel Keller (Naomi Watts) tracks down the video...and watches it. Now, the legend is coming true, the clock is ticking and Rachel has just seven days to unravel the mystery of The Ring.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Interviews

My Thoughts:

I never seen the original to compare this to but over all I enjoyed this film. Naomi Watts did a fine job as did the rest of the cast. Atmosphere was good as well. But I don't know... at the same time it felt like something was missing. I would really like to check out the original at some point to compare the two.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 03:04:30 AM »

Fifty lesser-known horror flicks hailed by critics and genre fans as "absolute must-sees" are given the spotlight with fun, engaging commentary from journalists, directors, actors and critics in a countdown like no other. Stalkers, monsters, slashers, evil dolls, terrorized babysitters, holiday maniacs, mannequins, eerie motels, even giant rats... they're ALL featured in "The 50 Best Horror Movies You've Never Seen!"

My Thoughts:
A decent but nothing special documentary. As I figured I seen most of the films mentioned but there was some I didn't  and reminded me of some I need to watch again. Which really was the purpose of watching this one anyway. But over all... really just an average documentary.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 01:37:37 AM »
     The Ring Two: Unrated Edition (2005/United States)

DreamWorks Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Hideo Nakata
Writing:Ehren Kruger (Screenwriter), Koji Suzuki (Original Material By)
Length:128 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Naomi Watts as Rachel
Simon Baker (1969) as Max Rourke
David Dorfman as Aidan
Elizabeth Perkins as Dr. Emma Temple
Gary Cole (1956) as Martin Savide

Plot:
Loaded with chilling new scenes and exclusive features, this special unrated edition of The Ring Two takes you beyond anything seen in theaters!

Academy Award® nominee* Naomi Watts reprises her role as investigative reporter Rachel Keller, now determined to start a new life and escape her haunting memories. But when the vengeful Samara returns, Rachel faces a nightmarish, life-or-death struggle to save herself and her young son in this edge-of-your-seat thriller!

*2003, Best Actress, 21 Grams.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Production Notes
  • Closed Captioned
  • 'Rings' short film

My Thoughts:

Storage: Book 7

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 01:39:36 AM »
     Halloween (2018/United States)

Universal Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:David Gordon Green
Writing:John Carpenter (1948) (Original Characters By), Debra Hill (Original Characters By), Jeff Fradley (Writer), Danny McBride (1976) (Writer), David Gordon Green (Writer)
Length:106 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.39:1
Audio:English: DTS-X: 3D, Spanish: DTS: 5.1, French: DTS: 5.1

Stars:
Jamie Lee Curtis as Laurie Strode
Judy Greer as Karen
Andi Matichak as Allyson
The ShapeJames Jude Courtney

Plot:
Jamie Lee Curtis returns to her iconic role as Laurie Strode, who comes to her final confrontation with Michael Myers, the masked figure who has haunted her since she narrowly escaped his killing spree on Halloween night four decades ago.

Master of horror John Carpender joins forces with director David Gordon Green and producer Jason Blum (Get Out, Split ) for this follow up to Carpenter's 1978 classic.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • BD-Live
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

Another great installment in the Halloween franchise. It has a great story and I really like the return of Jamie Lee Curtis. I also like we got a few glimpses of what Michael Myers looks like now...until he gets hes mask back of course. I really think if you are a Halloween fan you should like this installment.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 09:47:24 PM »
     Friday the 13th (1980/United States)
Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Sean S. Cunningham
Writing:Victor Miller (Writer)
Length:95 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Betsy Palmer as Mrs. Voorhees
Adrienne King as Alice
Jeannine Taylor as Marcie
Robbi Morgan as Annie
Kevin Bacon (1958) as Jack

Plot:
A new owner and several young counselors gather to reopen Camp Crystal Lake where a young boy drowned and several vicious murders occurred years earlier. They've ignored the locals' warnings that the place has a death curse... and one by one they find out how unlucky Friday the 13th can be as they are stalked by a violent killer.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

This is, of course, the one that started it all. Definitely a classic when it comes to horror. I feel it is a good movie... definitely worth watching... but I have seen better. I really liked the character of Alice in this one. For some reason I keep forgetting there is a young Kevin Bacon in this movie until I watch it again.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 11:06:49 PM »
     Friday the 13th: Part 2 (1981/United States)
Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Steve Miner
Writing:Ron Kurz (Writer), Victor Miller (Original Characters By)
Length:87 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Amy Steel (1960) as Ginny
John Furey as Paul
Adrienne King as Alice
Kirsten Baker as Terry
Stuart Charno [Stu Charno] as Ted

Plot:
Five years after the massacre at Camp Crystal Lake, the nerve-wracking legend of Jason Vorhees and his diabolical mother lives on. Despite ominous warnings from the locals to stay away from "Camp Blood," a group of counselors at a nearby summer camp decide to explore the area where seven people were brutally slaughtered. All too soon, they encounter horrors of their own and the killing begins again.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

The second movie in the series is a good one. This one Jason doesn't have his infamous hockey mask yet. Instead it is a burlap sack... which I kinda liked. I enjoyed this one just as much as the first... if not a hair better. Once again... some good kill effects here. I especially liked how the guy in the wheelchair was taken out. I also liked how this one ended. Definitely worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
Pete