Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: 5/9 - 5/11  (Read 8805 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: 5/9 - 5/11
« on: May 09, 2008, 06:01:46 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
5/9 - 5/11
This weekend I didn't know what I was in the mood to watch. I did know that there is a few that I just got I want to watch... so some will definitely be from my unwatched collection... but I didn't want to limit myself to just those... so this weekend I have no theme to my marathon... I will just watch whatever movie the mood hits for. So this weekend I watched...

Cloverfield
From visionary producer J.J. Abrams '(Lost)' and director Matt Reeves comes the worldwide sensation of nonstop terror and suspense everyone is talking about.

My Thoughts:
Hmmmmm.... what did I think of this movie? Well... even though I did let the hype get to me a little... I did still enjoy the movie. I know a lot of people didn't like the way this was filmed through a character's video camera (think Blair Witch Project)... and even though I think I would of preferred a more standard filming on it.. it isn't something that really bothered me too much. Over-all I did enjoy it... and glad I have it in my collection... especially since it didn't cost me anything. I do think I may have been a little aggravated if I spent a good $20 on this thing.
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: 5/9 - 5/11
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 07:02:07 PM »
What did you think of the monster? I think it looking like nothing I have ever seen before and therefore gave it :thumbup: :thumbup:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 07:04:57 PM »
the monster was very cool... I just wish we would have gotten better looks at it then we did. Of course then it wouldn't of had the same impact but... still I am too curios for my own good anyway! LOL  :P
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 07:17:19 PM »
Yes, just showing the glimpses was staying in the the shooting style they had created and showing it spot on for two long would have quickly become gratuitous. I would think that we can see more in part 2... (which is bound to happen; let's hope that's not too much of a bad thing).

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 08:48:01 PM »
Yeah... I am not sure it should happen... but it is bound to happen.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 09:04:26 PM »

Hatchet: Unrated Director's Cut
Get ready for one of the most talked-about, red-blooded American horror movies of the past 20 years: When a group of New Orleans tourists take a haunted swamp tour, they slam face-first into the local legend of deformed madman Victor Crowley. What follows is a psycho spree of seat-jumping scares, eye-popping nudity, skull-splitting mayhem and beyond. 'Joel David Moore' (DODGEBALL), 'Deon Richmond' (SCREAM 3), 'Tamara Feldman' and 'Mercedes McNab' ('BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER') star - along with horror icons 'Kane 'Jason' Hodder', 'Robert 'Freddy Krueger' Englund' and 'Tony 'Candyman' Todd' - in this screamingly funny carnage classic that Ain't It Cool News hails as "so indescribably awesome that you just cannot conceive."

My Thoughts:
I blind bought this one when I found it at Walmart for only $9. It is a decent movie... but not the best horror I ever seen. You can't take it too seriously.Unfortunately the horror icons only had single scene parts (besides Kane Hodder who played Victor Crowely). But it was cool to see Mercedes McNab (Harmony on Buffy) through-out the movie. She kinda played a dumb blonde in this one as well. But at least this time we got to see her flashing for a video at Mardi Gras!  :drooling: Sorry... perv in me coming out again. :laugh: Anyway.... enjoyable but don't expect to much... is heavy on gore but light on scares.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 09:04:58 PM »

The Monster Squad
You know who to call when you have ghosts, but who do you call about monsters? Whether it’s a bat in your belfry or a mummy in your microwave, THE MONSTER SQUAD ain’t afraid of no ghouls!
Count Dracula has until midnight to retrieve an ancient amulet that will give him final control over the delicate balance between good and evil in the world. To help him, the creepy count calls on some old friends: the weird Wolfman, grotesque Gill-Man, mildewed Mummy and freaky Frankenstein. As the ghoulish group gets closer to the amulet, it’s up to THE MONSTER SQUAD, headquartered in the local tree house, to pool its questionable resources and stop the monster mayhem!

My Thoughts:
I just had the urge to watch this one again. The last time I watched it was when I had my huge month long horror marathon this past October.  This is one of my favorite comedy-horrors... it is just loaded with fun... lots of laughs! This is a great DVD release with lots of extras... is a 2-disc special edition.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 02:21:40 AM »

Mirror Mirror
A shy teenager ('Rainbow Harvest') moves to a new town and quickly becomes the most unpopular girl in high school. But when she discovers a mysterious mirror, her tormentors begin to meet with a horrifying series of 'accidents'. 'Karen Black', 'Charlie Spradling', 'William Sanderson' and 'Ricky Paull Goldin' co-star in this surprising hit chiller that started it all.

My Thoughts:
I went into this one not expecting much of anything. It turned out to be a pretty good movie. I have seen better... but definitely enjoyable. Unfortunately this DVD has no extras what so every. Matter of fact... when you pop in the DVD it goes straight to the movie. It doesn't even bother bringing you to the menu first. Well considering I got all 4 movies in a boxset for only $5 I definitely can't complain.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 06:04:46 PM »

The Silence of the Lambs: The Criterion Collection
From Thomas Harris' novel, director Jonathan Demme explodes and reconstructs a classic genre, laying a foundation of emotional and political commitment beneath a perfectly constructed psychological thriller. Fourteen years after her controversial role in "Taxi Driver", Jodie Foster finally makes the transformation from helpless victim to rescuing hero in this dark, gender-bending fairy tale on an American obsession: serial murder. As Hannibal "the Cannibal" Lecter, Anthony Hopkins is the archetypal antihero-cultured, quick-witted, uncontainable--a portrait of all the sharpest human faculties gone diabolically wrong. Winner of five 1991 Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Screenplay Adaptation for Ted Tally.

My Thoughts:
This has been a long time favorite movie of mine. And one of the first movies that I discovered Jodie Foster in. I became a fan of hers because of this movie. It is an awesome movie that I would highly recommend to anyone. The Criterion Collection is a great DVD release for this movie. Top notch image and sound with loads of extras to keep you busy.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 08:37:47 PM »

The Tooth Fairy
Northern California, 1949: In the woods outside of a small town, a hideous witch lured children to her crumbling home where she stole their teeth, butchered their bodies, and cursed their souls to wander the earth forever. Decades later the house has been converted into a quaint country inn, but an untold evil remains: The witch's slumber has been disturbed, and her vengeful spirit seeks the violent slaughter of all who stay there. And for one eleven-year-old girl with a loose molar and an active imagination, the ultimate horror begins with a visit from THE TOOTH FAIRY.

My Thoughts:
This is a pretty good horror movie. Not the best I ever seen... but far from the worst. Definitely one I consider worth checking out. I wouldn't spend top dollar for it... but if you can get it for say... under $10 I don't think you will be disappointed.
Pete