Author Topic: It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas...  (Read 6835 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas...
« on: November 29, 2018, 07:20:42 PM »
It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas...

Christmas Reviews 2018
Well it is that time of year again. I have a lot of Christmas movies, specials and TV episodes I want to watch. But at the same time I don't know how much time I will have to do so since I do work in retail. But I am going to try to fit in as many as possible.Hopefully I won't do too badly.

Some I am hoping I get to this year...

The Bishop's Wife (Classic Never Seen)
Charlie Brown Christmas (Must keep the tradition alive)
Christmas in Connecticutt (Classic Never Seen)
Doctor Who Christmas Special 2010 (Seen very little Doctor Who... but heard this was good)
Silent Night, Deadly Night (Haven't seen since I was a teen)

« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 05:34:02 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 10:24:22 PM »

The Holiday Calendar (2018)
A talented photographer stuck in a dead-end job inherits an antique Advent calendar that may be predicting the future – and pointing her toward love.

My Thoughts:
It seems that Christmas films and Romantic Comedies has always went well together. This one is no different. I like the story line here. Not surprising as I was pretty big into photography in my teen years.The cast was good even though I wasn't really familiar with any of them. And I like the antique advent calendar. There was something magical about it as the doors would open by themselves each morning. Each with a minature toy that would somehow predict something that would happen that day. All said to be leading you to your true love. Being a romantic comedy this part of the film was very predictable as most romantic comedies are. But I found it well worth the time put in to watch it and hope that it will be released on home video so I can add it to my ever growing collection.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 10:43:48 PM »
     The Bishop's Wife (1947/United States)

Warner Home Video, Samuel Goldwyn Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Henry Koster
Writing:Robert E. Sherwood (Screenwriter), Leonardo Bercovici (Screenwriter), Robert Nathan (Original Material By)
Length:109 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: Mono
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Cary Grant as Dudley
Loretta Young as Julia Brougham
David Niven as Henry Brougham
Monty Woolley as Professor Wutheridge
James Gleason (1882) as Sylvester

Plot:
Heavenly bells are ringing, jubilant choirs are singing and Christmas joy is blanketing the world like freshly fallen snow. But the Yuletide spirit has yet to warm Bishop Henry Brougham's Victorian home. Struggling to raise funds for a new cathedral, the preoccupied young clergyman has neglected his loving wife Julia, and now only divine intervention can save their marriage! But the powerful and handsome angel sent from above has a mind of his own...and teaching mortal Henry an immortal lesson in romance isn't all he's got planned!

Starring Oscar® winners Cary Grant, Loretta Young and David Niven*, and featuring "a stellar supporting cast" (The Hollywood Reporter), which includes James Gleason and Monty Woolley, this delightful romantic comedy is wondrous, witty and truly divine!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:

Well this is definately a clasic for a reason. The talent here is outstanding. It has a good and often funny story. I think Cary Grant did a great job playing the angel. And Loretta Young was just lovely. I can see this one easily making it into my yearly rotation.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 06:00:15 PM »

Christmas with a View (2018)
This Christmas, Thunder Mountain Ski Resort is abuzz when celebrity chef Shane Roarke is named the new head chef. Clara Garrison isn’t as excited and is instead focused on getting resettled after her failed attempt at opening a restaurant in the city. With their paths constantly crossing, will their shared passion for cooking bring them together or will secrets keep them apart?

My Thoughts:
This is another one that I found on Netflix.  Unfortunately this one is no more then an average film. I found I just don't really care about the characters here. And when that happens I just don't enjoy the film as much. I had a hard time keeping my attention on the movie. Just not much to be seen here.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 07:42:43 PM »

Christmas Ranch (2016)
A rebellious girl is sent to stay on her grandmother’s horse ranch for Christmas. She falls into friendship with her grandmother’s pony and becomes determined to help save the ranch from foreclosure.

My Thoughts:
I wasn't expecting much going into this one. But it really drew me in and I enjoyed it a lot! It took a while before it even felt like a Christmas movie. And at first the teen girl seemed like no more then a brat. but as time went by I got to like the characters and the story had me hooked. This is one I would like to add to my collect!

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 10:15:57 PM »
     Beethoven's Christmas Adventure (2011/United States)
Trailer |
Universal Studios Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:John Putch
Writing:Steven Altiere (Writer), Daniel Altiere (Writer), Edmond Dantes (Original Characters By), Amy Holden Jones (Original Characters By)
Length:89 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
John Cleese as Narrator
Munro Chambers as Mason
Kim Rhodes as Christine
Jan Skene as Gal in Crowd
Candace Smith as Pedestrian Woman

Plot:
'Tis the season to celebrate with everyone's favorite St. Bernard, Beethoven, in an all-new, heartwarming holiday adventure where the hilarious canine speaks for the first time! When Henry the elf (Kyle Massey, TV's That's So Raven) flees the North Pole with Santa's sleigh and his magical bag of toys, he crash-lands the precious cargo in a suburban neighborhood tree. But when the bag ends up in the wrong hands, it's up to heroic Beethoven and his teenage pal, Mason (Munro Chambers, TV's Degrassi: The Next Generation), to rescue Henry, fetch Santa's toys and save Christmas for children everywhere. Featuring an all-star cast, including Tom Arnold as the voice of Beethoven, it's a barking good time for the whole family!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:

A fun and cute little movie. Definately geared to a much younger audience then myself. But I knew that going in. But a good time for a family setting during the holidays. i lkiked that John Kassir did the voice for the stray dog in this. He is the man that voiced the Crypt Keeper in Tales from the Crypt. Tom Arnold voiced Beethoven... I never cared much for him but it helped not having to see him on the screen. I got this one at work cheep... a little over $3.00 so it makes a nice addition to my collection.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 07:16:32 PM »
     Bah, HumDuck! A Looney Tunes Christmas (2006/United States)

Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Charles Visser
Writing:Ray DeLaurentis (Writer)
Length:46 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:

Stars:
Joe Alaskey as Daffy/Sylvester/Marvin/PepeLePew/Foghorn
Bob Bergen as Porky Pig/Speed Gonzales/Tweety Bird
Billy West (1952) as Bugs Bunny/Elmer Fudd
June Foray as Granny
Maurice LaMarche as Yosemite Sam

Plot:
In a hilarious take on Charles Dickens' holiday favorite A Christmas Carol, the New Original Movie Bah, HumDuck! A Looney Tunes Christmas follows the exploits of Daffy Duck, the Scrooge-like proprietor of the Lucky Duck megamart. To take financial advantage of last-minute shoppers, Daffy demands that his employees, including long-suffering manager Porky Pig, work on Christmas Day instead of spending the holiday with their families. It's up to Bugs Bunny and the Ghosts of Christmas Past (Tweety and Granny), Present (Yosemite Sam) and Future (Tax) to make sure that Daffy realizes the error of his ways and saves Christmas for the Looney Tunes gang.

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Interactive Games
  • Music Videos
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

This one was my daughter's pick. I thought I seen it before... but I was wrong. Of course you can't go wrong with Looney Tunes. I enjoyed it a lot. There was several laughs here and it was a lot of fun to see what character they got to play which part. I definitely recommend it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 07:26:26 PM »

A Christmas Prince (2017)
SHE’S LOOKING FOR A SCOOP. HE’S LOOKING FOR A QUEEN.
When a reporter goes undercover as a nanny to get the inside scoop on a playboy prince, she gets tangled in some royal intrigue and ends up finding love – but will she be able to keep up her lie?

My Thoughts:
A Christmas time Romantic Comedy... Netflix is getting famous for them. I must admit I really enjoyed this one. I liked the characters and enjoyed the story line. Even if it is a bit on the predictable side. But I have come to expect that when it comes to romantic comedies. This one was made in 2017... and I see they made a sequel this year so must watch it next.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 07:34:41 PM »

A Christmas Prince: The Royal Wedding (2018)
SHE’S LOOKING FOR A SCOOP. HE’S LOOKING FOR A QUEEN.
When a reporter goes undercover as a nanny to get the inside scoop on a playboy prince, she gets tangled in some royal intrigue and ends up finding love – but will she be able to keep up her lie?

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this sequel just as much as the previous one. It really helps when you like the characters. I especially like his teen sister in the wheelchair. Still somewhat predictable.. but I am not surprised there. I must admit, after watching these I am now hoping for another sequel next year.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 05:40:18 PM »

Love at the Christmas Table (2012)
Family friends Sam and Kat spend every Christmas Eve at the Children’s Table. They grow up together, sharing the highs and lows of young adulthood. And at thirty, Sam realizes that Kat is the one…but he’s afraid that the past will get in the way.

My Thoughts:
This is a film I found on Amazon Prime. It was a fun little film, better then I was expecting. It is mostly told through flashbacks, which I normally don't like but they did it well here. It is worth the time put in to watch it.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 05:47:41 PM »

The Princess Switch (2018)
When a down-to-earth Chicago baker and a soon-to-be princess discover they look like twins, they hatch a Christmastime plan to trade places.

My Thoughts:
I found this one to be very predictable,,, but very entertaining. It is well done and fun. Even knowing where the film was going, I thought it was a great ride to get there. And that is what is important. This is one I found on Netflix... but hope to add it to my own collection as well.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 05:54:12 PM »
     Silent Night, Deadly Night: 30th Anniversary Edition (1984/United States)

Anchor Bay Entertainment, Starz Media (United States)
Director:Charles E. Sellier, Jr.
Writing:Paul Caimi (Original Material By), Michael Hickey (Writer)
Length:85 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Lilyan Chauvin as Mother Superior
Gilmer McCormick as Sister Margaret
Toni Nero as Pamela
Robert Brian Wilson as Billy at 18
Britt Leach as Mr. Sims

Plot:
Silent Night, Deadly Night is the heartwarming story of little Billy Chapman who was traumatized by his parents' Christmas Eve rape and murder, then brutalized by sadistic orphanage nuns. But when a grown-up Billy is forced to dress as jolly St. Nick, he goes on a yuletide rampage to 'punish the naughty.' Santa Claus is coming to town...and this time he's got an axe! Robert Brian Wilson and Linnea Quigley star in this jawdropping horror hit that a nation of angry mothers still cannot stop!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Gallery
  • Interviews
  • Santa's Stocking of Outrage: Critical analysis/quotes regarding the film upon its release in 1984

My Thoughts:

This is a film I haven't seen since I was a teen. But it was one of my favorites back then. I did worry a bit that it wouldn't hold up... but it did, I found I liked it just as much viewing it today as I did back then. I consider this one of the best when it comes to '80s slashers. This is definitely one I plan to watch every year around this time.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 05:59:56 PM »
     Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas (1999/United States)

Buena Vista Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:"Donald Duck: Stuck on Christmas"Bradley Raymond, "A Very Goofy Christmas"Jun Falkenstein, Bill Speers, "Mickey & Minnie's Gift of the Magi"Toby Shelton, InterstitialToby Shelton
Writing:"Donald Duck: Stuck on Christmas"Charlie Cohen (Screenwriter), William Dean Howells (Original Material By), "A Very Goofy Christmas"Scott Gorden (Screenwriter), Tom Nance (Screenwriter), Carter Crocker (Screenwriter), "Mickey & Minnie's Gift of the Magi"Richard Cray (Screenwriter), Temple Mathews (Screenwriter), O. Henry (Original Material By), InterstitialThomas Hart (Writer), Eddie Guzelian (Writer)
Length:66 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Kelsey Grammer as Narrator (voice)
With the Voice Talents ofWayne Allwine as Mickey Mouse (voice)
Russi Taylor as Minnie Mouse, Huey, Dewey, and Louie (voice)
Tony Anselmo as Donald Duck (voice)

Plot:
The magic of Disney animation warms up the season as Mickey's Once Upon A Christmas and Mickey's Twice Upon A Christmas arrive on Blu-ray for the first time ever with a new digital remaster.

First, join Mickey, Minnie and their famous friends Goofy, Donald, Daisy and Pluto for hilarious and heartwarming stories of their most memorable Christmases together. Mickey's Once Upon A Christmas is a merry and madcap collection of adventures and magical Christmas songs celebrating the true joys of the holiday season. Then find out who's been naughty and who's been nice as Santa Claus joins Disney's biggest stars in Mickey's Twice Upon A Christmas. Give your family the perfect holiday treat with two timeless Christmas collections together for the first time on Disney Blu-ray!

Extras:

My Thoughts:

I found this to be a cute little anthology cartoon. It has a few laughs in it. Even if very predictable ar times. Of course I am not the target audience here. so that has to account for something there. I can see myself watching it again.... but not one I would feel the need to watch every year.

Rating:
    Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 08:31:32 PM »
         A Snow Globe Christmas: Extended Version (2013/United States)

Cinedigm Home Entertainment, The Asylum Home Entertainment (United States)
    Director:Jodi Binstock
    Writing:Naomi Selfman (Story By), Delondra Williams (Story By)
    Length:90 min.
    Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
    Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
    Subtitles:

Stars:
    Alicia Witt as Meg
    Donald Faison as Ted
    Christina Milian as Sal
    Trevor Donovan as Eric
    Art LaFleur as Mr. Barnes

Plot:
    A cynical TV exec looks at the perfect town inside a Christmas globe and rants about haw the holiday movies she produces are as fake as the ornament. She throws it to the ground and it bounces back and knocks her out. But when she wakes up in a perfect snow-covered town, married to local artist, she discovers it's not all just a fantasy.

Extras:
    • Scene Access
    • Bonus Trailers
    • Featurettes
    • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

This one I enjoyed quite a bit dispite disliking a couple of the characters. It has a good story and I really liked who the angel turned out to be. It is worth the time to watch and hope to add this one to my collection.

Rating:
    Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 11:22:34 PM »
         The Family Man (2000/United States)

Universal Studios Home Entertainment (United States)
    Director:Brett Ratner
    Writing:David Diamond (Writer), David Weissman (Writer)
    Length:126 min.
    Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
    Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: DTS: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
    Subtitles:English

Stars:
    Nicolas Cage as Jack Campbell
    Téa Leoni as Kate
    Don Cheadle as Cash
    Jeremy Piven as Arnie
    Saul Rubinek as Alan Mintz

Plot:
    Jack Campbell (Academy Award® winner° NICOLAS CAGE) is a single, wealthy Wall Street trader living the high life in New York City. All that magically changes one morning when he wakes up in suburban New Jersey next to Kate (TÉA LEONI), the girlfriend he left 13 years ago. He's now got two kids, he's traded in his Ferrari for a minivan, and he's trying not to lose his mind. Find out what it takes for a single-minded businessman to become The Family Man in this heartwarming holiday comedy about second thoughts and second chances.

°1995, Best Actor, Leaving Las Vegas.

Extras:
    • Scene Access
    • Audio Commentary
    • Feature Trailers
    • Deleted Scenes
    • Featurettes
    • Music Videos
    • Outtakes/Bloopers
    • BD-Live

My Thoughts:

This one has been in my collection for years but I never bothered to watch it. Having it upgraded to blu-ray earlier this month reminded me of it and made me to decide to watch. A good, well made film. olme I enjoyed quite a bit. Though I am not entirely happy with the way they decided to end it. I can definitely see myself watching this one again... but it is not one I will feel the need to watch every year.

Rating:
    Pete