Author Topic: 2018 Challenge: Box Office TOP 100 FILMS OF ALL-TIME (Domestic Gross)  (Read 21313 times)

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 Challenge: Box Office TOP 100 FILMS OF ALL-TIME (Domestic Gross)
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2018, 09:40:56 PM »
Do you know which version you watched as there are 3 versions on the disc, The Original Theatrical Cut, The Special Edition and The Director's Cut?
The Special Edition had some scenes removed and some other minor tweaks as well as 2 major sequences added. The Director's Cut added back some of the removed scenes and removed one of the added in major sequences. I thought the Director's cut was the probably the best version when I rewatched them recently although I have a soft spot for the original theatrical cut as that was the one I saw at the cinema :) .
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2018, 11:08:29 PM »
I watched the original cut.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2018, 10:36:31 PM »
     The Sound of Music: 45th Anniversary Edition (1965/United States)

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Robert Wise (1914)
Writing:Howard Lindsay (Original Material By), Russel Crouse (Original Material By), Ernest Lehman (Screenwriter)
Length:175 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.20:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1, English: Dolby Digital: 4.0, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: DTS: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Commentary

Stars:
Julie Andrews as Maria
Christopher Plummer as Captain von Trapp
Eleanor Parker as The Baroness
Richard Haydn as Max Detweiler
Peggy Wood as Mother Abbess

Plot:
Experience the world's most beloved family film as never before with this 3-Disc 45th Anniversary Edition of Rodgers & Hammerstein's® THE SOUND OF MUSIC, Winner of five 1965 ACADEMY AWARDS®, including Best Picture!*

In this true-life story, Julie Andrews lights up the screen as Maria, a spirited young woman who leaves the convent to bring love and music to the home of Captain von Trapp (Christopher Plummer) and his seven children.

*Directing, Film Editing, Music, Best Picture, Sound

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Interactive Games
  • Interviews
  • BD-Live
  • Music Machine, Sing-along, Radio Spots, Screen Tests

My Thoughts:

This is a film I went into not expecting to like at all as I am not a big fan of musicals. But found I enjoyed the story quite a bit. Though I do feel lit went on a little too long. In my opinion it should have ended with Marie coming back to the family and her and Captain Van Trapp getting married. The extra Nazi stuff in my opinion was too much and not needed at all. But over all I am still surprisingly glad I watched it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2018, 10:48:38 PM »
It was just pointed out to me that this film is based on true events and not just a piece of fiction, This makes me rethink my feelings on how they decided to end it. hmmm....
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
     Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980/United States)

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Irvin Kershner
Writing:Leigh Brackett (Screenwriter), Lawrence Kasdan (Screenwriter), George Lucas (Story By)
Length:127 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 6.1 (Discrete), Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: DTS: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Commentary

Stars:
Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker
Harrison Ford (1942) as Han Solo
Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia
Billy Dee Williams as Lando Calrissian
Anthony Daniels as C-3PO

Plot:
It is a dark time for the Rebellion. After a devastating attack on their ice base on the frozen planet of Hoth, the Rebels are scattered by Imperial pursuit. Luke Skywalker seeks out the mysterious Jedi Master Yoda in the swamps of Dagobah, while Han Solo and Princess Leia outrun the Imperial fleet to the beautiful Cloud City of Bespin. In an attempt to convert Luke to the dark side, the evil Darth Vader lures young Skywalker into a trap. In the midst of a fierce lightsaber duel with the Sith Lord, Luke faces a terrible truth about the Skywalker legacy.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • THX

My Thoughts:

May the 4th be with you...

So of course I had to watch at least one of the films today. Watching these in production order this time. So next time I will watched them as the studios numbered them. This is a good continuation to the previous film. And it still holds up rather well after all these years. It really is hard to believe this film it almost 40 years old. It remains well worth the time put in to watch it. And I ook forward to contue watching the saga through--out this year long challenge.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
     Grease: 40th Anniversary Edition (1978/United States)

(United States)
Director:Randal Kleiser
Writing:Jim Jacobs (Original Material By), Warren Casey (Original Material By), Bronté Woodard (Screenwriter), Allan Carr (Original Material By)
Length:110 min.
Video:Widescreen :1
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, German: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Italian: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Japanese: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish

Stars:
John Travolta as Danny
Olivia Newton-John as Sandy
Stockard Channing as Rizzo
Jeff Conaway as Kenickie
Barry Pearl as Doody

Plot:
The classic tale of good girl Sandy (Olivia Newton-John) and bad boy Danny (John Travolta) gets tuned up with some new special features in this Grease 40th Anniversary Edition. Your favorite movie musical just gets better with time. It's peachy keen, jellybean!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Interviews
  • Introduction by Randal Kleiser
  • Rydell Sing-Along

My Thoughts:

This film holds a special place in my heart as it was one of my wife's favorite. While not the best film in the world I really enjoyed it. I liked both the setting and the storyline. Matter of fact I think the last time I watched this one I rated it a little low. Well worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2018, 02:18:23 AM »
     Jaws: Universal 100th Anniversary (1975/United States)

Universal Studios Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Steven Spielberg
Writing:Peter Benchley (Screenwriter), Carl Gottlieb (Screenwriter), Peter Benchley (Original Material By)
Length:124 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1, English: DTS: Mono, Spanish: DTS: 5.1, French: DTS: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Roy Scheider as Brody
Robert Shaw (1927) as Quint
Richard Dreyfuss as Hooper
Lorraine Gary as Ellen Brody
Murray Hamilton as Vaughn

Plot:
Directed by Academy Award® winnerº Steven Spielberg, Jaws set the standard for edge-of-your-seat suspense, quickly becoming a cultural phenomenon and forever changing the movie industry. When the seaside community of Amity finds itself under attack by a dangerous great white shark, the town's chief of police (Roy Scheider), a young marine biologist (Richard Dreyfuss) and a grizzled shark hunter (Robert Shaw) embark on a desperate quest to destroy the beast before it strikes again. Featuring an unforgettable score that evokes pure terror, Jaws remains one of the most influential and gripping adventures in motion picture history.

º1993 Best Director, Best Picture, Schindler's List; 1998 Best Director, Saving Private Ryan.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • BD-Live
  • Digital Copy
  • PocketBlu

My Thoughts:

This is another film I haven't seen in years. It held up well. It is a very good story but I do find it a little on the slow side at times. Richard Dryfuss is the big name I recognize in this film... I was never much of a fan of Richard Dreyfuss though I did enjoy him in this more then I do in most movies I have seen with him. I must say that the mayor and his people is enough to agrivate someone. Worrying more about how much mone is coming into town more then people's safty. This film deserves the reputation it has recieved. A well made enjoyable film. Definitely one I would have no problem recommending.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2018, 05:22:28 PM »
     Swiss Family Robinson: Vault Disney Collection (1960/United States)

Walt Disney Home Entertainment, Buena Vista Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Ken Annakin
Writing:Lowell S. Hawley (Screenwriter), Johann Wyss (Original Material By)
Length:126 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English

Stars:
John Mills as Father Robinson
Dorothy McGuire as Mother Robinson
James MacArthur as Fritz Robinson
Janet Munro as Roberta 'Bertie'
Sessue Hayakawa as Kuala, Pirate Chief

Plot:
One of Disney's biggest and most fondly remembered hits, the spectacular screen version of the literary classic Swiss Family Robinson is full of breathtaking South Seas scenery, hundreds of exotic animals and treacherous pirates.

This heroic tale chronicles the courageous exploits of the Robinson family after they are shipwrecked on a deserted island. Using teamwork and ingenuity, they skillfully overcome the obstacles of nature and transform their new home into a "civilized" community. But the ultimate challenge lies ahead when a band of cutthroat pirates threaten to destroy the Robinsons' makeshift paradise.

Capture the thrills, romance and fun of this unforgettable Disney film!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Production Notes
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Closed Captioned
  • THX
  • Short 'Sea Salts'

My Thoughts:

I found this one to be a really fun film. Sure there is a lot of unrealistic stuff here, but that is easily forgiven. I thought the entire cast did well and I liked seeing all the different types of animals. This film has plenty to laugh at and I found it top be just a feel good film. I had to watch my roommate's copy but I do definitely hope to add this one to my own collection before too long.

Rating:
Pete