Author Topic: 2018 Challenge: Box Office TOP 100 FILMS OF ALL-TIME (Domestic Gross)  (Read 21311 times)

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 Challenge: Box Office TOP 100 FILMS OF ALL-TIME (Domestic Gross)
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 08:19:36 AM »
The chariot jump stunt went wrong and could easily have seriously maimed or killed stuntman Joe Canutt when he was catapulted over and in front of the chariot. Luckily he managed to cling on to the front of the chariot rather than being run over. Only part of the stunt could be used in the finished film. I imagine that the second unit director, legendary stuntman/stunt coordinator Yakima Canutt (Joe's father), felt that they had pushed their luck far enough that day.

In my opinion, CGI can never really replace practical stunts like this. There's an excitement in practical stunts that is really hard to duplicate in CGI.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 08:22:05 AM by GSyren »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2018, 07:52:55 PM »
     M*A*S*H: Five Star Collection (1970/United States)

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Robert Altman
Writing:Richard Hooker (Original Material By), Ring Lardner, Jr. (Screenwriter)
Length:116 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Donald Sutherland as Captain Benjamin 'Hawkeye' Pierce
Elliott Gould as Captain 'Trapper' John McIntyre
Tom Skerritt as Captain Augustus 'Duke' Forrest
Sally Kellerman as Major Margaret 'Hot Lips' Houlihan
Robert Duvall as Major Frank Burns, M.D.

Plot:
One of the world's most acclaimed comedies, M*A*S*H focuses on three Korean War Army surgeons brilliantly brought to life by Donald Sutherland, Tom Skerritt and Elliott Gould. Though highly skilled and deeply dedicated, they adopt a hilarious, lunatic lifestyle as an antidote to the tragedies of their Mobile Army Surgical Hospital, and in the process infuriate Army bureaucrats. Robert Duvall, Gary Burghoff and Sally Kellerman co-star as a sanctimonious Major, an other-worldly Corporal, and a self-righteous yet lusty nurse.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Production Notes
  • Closed Captioned
  • THX

My Thoughts:

This really is a good film. But I personally prefer the TV series. I don't know... maybe because I grew up watching the series. I think Alan Alda did a better Hawkeye. But I think I prefer the Frank Burns here, And I really liked the fact that they had the same Radar. But the movie is well worth watching. It definitely has some laughs to it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 01:41:31 AM »
     The Lion King: Diamond Edition (1994/United States)

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, Buena Vista Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Roger Allers, Rob Minkoff
Writing:Irene Mecchi (Screenwriter), Jonathan Roberts (Screenwriter), Linda Woolverton (Screenwriter), Burny Mattinson (Story By), Barry Johnson (Story By), Thom Enriquez (Story By), Gary Trousdale (Story By), Kevin Harkey (Story By), Chris Sanders (1962) (Story By), Larry Leker (Story By), Rick Maki (Story By), Francis Glebas (Story By), Lorna Cook (Story By), Andy Gaskill (Story By), Jim Capobianco (Story By), Jorgen Klubien (Story By), Tom Sito (Story By), Joe Ranft (Story By), Ed Gombert (Story By), Mark Kausler (Story By)
Length:88 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Rowan Atkinson as Zazu (voice)
Matthew Broderick as Simba (voice)
Niketa Calame as Young Nala (voice)
Jim Cummings as Ed (voice)
Whoopi Goldberg (1955) as Shenzi (voice)

Plot:
The wait is over! For the first time ever, experience the majesty of Disney's epic animated masterpiece as it roars onto Blu-ray! With a spectacular picture, spine-tingling high definition sound and immersive bonus features—you will feel the love for this critically acclaimed and universally beloved classic like never before!

Embark on an extraordinary coming-of-age adventure as Simba, a lion cub who cannot wait to be king, searches for his destiny in the great "Circle Of Life." You will be thrilled by the breathtaking animation, unforgettable Academy Award®-winning music (1994: Best Original Score; Best Original Song, "Can You Feel The Love Tonight") and timeless story. The king of all animated films is destined for greatness on Blu-ray!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Interactive Games
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • BD-Live
  • Disney Second Screen

My Thoughts:

This is the first time I watched this film since it first came out. A very familiar story (betrayal for the quest for power) done well by Disney. Keeps your interest with ease and beautifully animated. Timon and Pumbaa are fun characters... though I also liked Rafiki the Baboon a lot as well. I can easily recommend this one. I won't be letting it go so many years to see it again this time.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2018, 06:12:42 PM »
     Finding Nemo: Collector's Edition (2003/United States)

Buena Vista Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Andrew Stanton
Writing:Andrew Stanton (Story By), Andrew Stanton (Screenwriter), Bob Peterson (1961) (Screenwriter), David Reynolds (Screenwriter)
Length:101 min.
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 7.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Albert Brooks (1947) as Marlin (voice)
Ellen DeGeneres as Dory (voice)
Alexander Gould as Nemo (voice)
Willem Dafoe as Gill (voice)
Brad Garrett (1960) as Bloat (voice)

Plot:
See it like never before! For the first time ever, through the magic of Blu-ray, fully immerse yourself in the stunning underwater world of Disney•Pixar's Finding Nemo! From the creators of Toy Story and Monsters, Inc., this critically acclaimed and heartwarming tale splashes off the screen with brilliant digital picture, high definition sound and breathtaking bonus features that transport you beyond your imagination.

In the depths of the Great Barrier Reef, Marlin (Albert Brooks), an overly protective clownfish, embarks on a daring rescue mission when his beloved son, Nemo, gets scooped up by a diver. With his unforgettable friend Dory (Ellen DeGeneres) by his side, Marlin encounters an ocean full of memorable comedic characters on his momentous journey—to find Nemo.

Bring home the humor and heartfelt emotion of the epic adventure that captured the Academy Award for "Best Animated Feature Film" (2003)—now more awesome than ever on Disney Blu-ray!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Aquarium Mode
  • Short

My Thoughts:

Another enjoyable film from Disney. Though I would say I like The Lion King more...this one is close to as enjoyable. The animation looks wonderful... and the story easily keeps your attention. Other then the main characters here... I must say I really got a kick out of the surfer dude sea turtle.

Rating:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 06:16:10 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2018, 05:08:38 PM »
     Spider-Man (2002/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Sam Raimi
Writing:Stan Lee (1922) (Original Characters By), Steve Ditko (Original Characters By), David Koepp (Screenwriter)
Length:121 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Japanese: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Thai: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai, Commentary, Other

Stars:
Tobey Maguire as Spider-Man/Peter Parker
Willem Dafoe as Green Goblin/Norman Osborn
Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane Watson
James Franco as Harry Osborn
Cliff Robertson as Ben Parker

Plot:
From Columbia Pictures Presents, A Marvel Enterprises/Laura Ziskin Production, Spider-Man is a live-action feature of one of the world's most popular comic book superheroes. Directed by Sam Raimi, Spider-Man centers on student Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) who, after being bitten by a genetically-altered spider, gains superhuman strength and the spider-like ability to cling to any surface. He vows to use his abilities to fight crime, coming to understand the words of his beloved Uncle Ben: "With great power comes great responsibility."

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Interactive Games
  • Music Videos
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • BD-Live
  • Digital Copy
  • Screen Tests

My Thoughts:

I remember the first time I saw this movie. Since Spider-Man has been my favorite superhero since I was a kid (I know kind of ironic what with me having a bad case of arachnophobia) it is one of the few movies I bothered to go see at the theater when it was first released. I remember initially being disappointed with his web coming from his wrist instead of the webshooters that he created in the cartoons and such I grew up on. But shortly into the movie I decided that it at least made sense. ,, and wasn't as bad as I initially thought. Though I am happy to see the webshooters back in the new films. Toby McGuire. while good in the film, I felt was a little old for the role as I always saw Spider-Man as a younger teen when bitten. I did like Willem Defoe as the Green Goblin. Over-all enjoyed revisiting the film was well worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2018, 09:59:41 PM »
     Beauty and the Beast (2017/United States)

Buena Vista Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Bill Condon
Writing:Stephen Chbosky (Screenwriter), Evan Spiliotopoulos (Screenwriter), Linda Woolverton (Original Material By)
Length:129 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Emma Watson (1990) as Belle
Dan Stevens as Beast
Luke Evans as Gaston
Josh Gad as LeFou
Kevin Kline (1947) as Maurice

Plot:
The story and characters you know and love come to spectacular life in the live-action adaptation of Disney's animated classic Beauty and the Beast, a cinematic event celebrating one of the most beloved tales ever told.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Digital Copy
  • Disney Song Selection

My Thoughts:

I found this one to be a good film but I personally prefer the animated feature more. I remember when this first came out that I read how a lot of people didn't like Emma Watson's singing voice. While she isn't the best I ever heard I really didn't have a problem with her. I liked how they did the beast but it seemed to me the rest of the CGI was a bit off. Over all a decent film to waste a couple hours with.

Rating:
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2018, 04:03:57 AM »
I found this one to be a good film but I personally prefer the animated feature more. I remember when this first came out that I read how a lot of people didn't like Emma Watson's singing voice. While she isn't the best I ever heard I really didn't have a problem with her. I liked how they did the beast but it seemed to me the rest of the CGI was a bit off. Over all a decent film to waste a couple hours with.
Haha, you have changed! Musicals nearly made you gag in the past, now you are discussing nuances in the singing, e.g. Emma Watson... :stars: Next thing you'll tell us you are actually listening to music when not watching movies...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 10:28:36 PM »
Haha, you have changed! Musicals nearly made you gag in the past, now you are discussing nuances in the singing, e.g. Emma Watson... :stars: Next thing you'll tell us you are actually listening to music when not watching movies...

LOL... What can I say... I am a man of many surprises! :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2018, 10:29:06 PM »
     The Sting (1973/United States)

(United States)
Director:George Roy Hill
Writing:David S. Ward (Writer)
Length:129 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: DTS: Mono

Stars:
Paul Newman (1925) as Henry Gondorff
Robert Redford as Johnny Hooker
Robert Shaw (1927) as Doyle Lonnegan
Charles Durning as Lt. Wm. Snyder
Ray Walston as J.J. Singleton

Plot:
Winner of 7 Academy Awards, including Best Picture, The Sting stars Paul Newman and Robert Redford as two con men in 1930s Chicago. After a friend is killed by the mob, they try to get even by attempting to pull off the ultimate "sting." No one is to be trusted as the twists unfold, leading up to one of the greatest double-crosses in movie history. The con is on!

Extras:
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Interviews
  • BD-Live
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

I enjoyed this one quite a bit. Thought both Redford and Newman was great in their roles. It is a fun movie with a few laughs in it. This one has it's share of twists and turns... some of which you see coming a mile away while others catch you by surprise. It is a good way to waste a couple hours. Glad I finally got to see it!

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2018, 07:54:34 PM »
     Superman: The Movie: Original 1978 Theatrical Release (1978/United States)
Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Richard Donner
Writing:Jerry Siegel (Original Characters By), Joe Shuster (Original Characters By), Mario Puzo (Story By), Mario Puzo (Screenwriter), David Newman (1937) (Screenwriter), Leslie Newman (Screenwriter), Robert Benton (Screenwriter)
Length:143 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, German: Dolby Digital: Mono, Italian: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Danish, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Marlon Brando as Jor-El
Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor
Christopher Reeve as Superman / Clark Kent
Ned Beatty as Otis
Jackie Cooper as Perry White

Plot:
Richard Donner's big-budget blockbuster Superman: The Movie is an immensely entertaining recounting of the origin of the famous comic book character. Opening on Krypton (where Marlon Brando plays Superman's father), the film follows the Man of Steel (Christopher Reeve) as he's sent to Earth where he develops his alter-ego Clark Kent and is raised by a Midwestern family. In no time, the movie has run through his teenage years, and Clark gets a job at the Daily Planet, where he is a news reporter. It's there that he falls in love with Lois Lane (Margot Kidder), who is already in love with Superman. But the love story is quickly sidetracked once the villainous Lex Luthor (Gene Hackman) launches a diabolical plan to conquer the world and kill Superman. Superman: The Movie is filled with action, special effects and a surprising amount of humor.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Commentary
  • Superman and the Mole Men
  • Classic Cartoons

My Thoughts:

This movie... with Christopher Reeve in the starring role... was how I grew up knowing Superman to be. At the time I was more used to seeing him in the role more so then George Reeves. I believe this came from a time that I did not like to watch anything that was in Black and White.... yes... I was one of those people at one time. But I have sense learned there is a lot of great entertainment out there in Black and white... and now have all the George Reeves Superman episodes... including the early Black and White ones. But I think... to me at least... when I think Superman... I still picture Christopher Reeve.

My favorite scene in this movie... one that makes me laugh even to this day... has to be the scene when Superman is seen for the very first time. Especially when he flies up the side of the building to catch Lois Lane... saying "Don't Worry Miss, I got you."... and she comes back with... "You got me... Who's got you!!!"... I don't know what it is about it... but I love that line.

I know there is some that don't like how Christopher Reeve portrayed Clark Kent. But you know... while I understand that point of view... I find it very entertaining and fun to watch. I also felt it added to the whole Clark Kent can't be Superman... even more so then the glasses for a costume. I have to say... I think I like the entire cast for these movies. Especially Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor and of course there is Marlon Brando as Jor-El.

Also I have to say I liked how they had some nodes to past incarnations of Superman when they showed a young Lois Lane riding the train with her parents early in the movie. They had Noel Neil as her mother... who was of course Lois Lane in Adventures of Superman and Kirk Alyn as her father... who was of course Clark Kent/Superman in the old movie serials.

While this is a great film... one I have always enjoyed over multiple viewings... there is parts I didn't care for. The main one being the scenes where Lois is interviewing Superman towards the beginning of the film. Especially the scenes where they are flying together and you here the voice-over of Lois reciting the poem "Can You Read My Mind." To me this scene slowed down the film almost to the point of bordom. Though it is short enough not to effect the film to badly.

Rating:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 07:57:51 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2018, 05:36:09 PM »
     One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975/United States)

Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Milos Forman
Writing:Lawrence Hauben (Screenwriter), Bo Goldman (Screenwriter), Ken Kesey (Original Material By)
Length:134 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, German: Dolby Digital: Mono, Italian: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Michael Berryman as Ellis
Peter Brocco as Col. Matterson
Dean R. Brooks as Dr. Spivey
Alonzo Brown as Miller
Scatman Crothers as Turkle

Plot:
When free-spirited petty crook Randy P. McMurphy (Jack Nicholson) arrives at the state mental hospital, his contagious sense of disorder jolts the routine. He's on one side of a brewing war, soft-spoken, coolly monstrous Nurse Ratched (Louise Fletcher) on the other. At stake is the fate of every patient on the ward. This electrifying adaption of Ken Kesey's bestseller swept all five major 1975 Academy Awards®: Best Picture (produced by Saul Zaentz and Michael Douglas), Actor (Nicholson), Actress (Fletcher), Director (Milos Forman), and Adapted Screenplay (Lawrence Hauben and Bo Goldman). Raucous, searing and with a superb cast that includes Brad Dourif, Danny DeVito, and Christopher Lloyd in his film debut, it soars.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • 36-page Collectible Book

My Thoughts:

While I found this to be a rather good movie, it wasn't exactly what I was expecting going into it. For some odd reason I had in my head that this was a comedy. While it does have some comedy in it I wouldn't classify it as such. That being said I definitely liked it. Jack Nicholson was great in this film. And I was surprised and happy to see a young Christopher Lloyd. I have always heard referrences to Nurse Ratchet for describing bad and mean nurses. Seems to me that has become exaggerated as while having a mean streak to her she really didn't seem that bad. Over all a good movie well worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2018, 09:25:45 PM »
     Fantasia (1940/United States)
Trailer |
Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, Buena Vista Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Toccata and Fugue in D MinorSamuel Armstrong, The Nutcracker SuiteSamuel Armstrong, The Sorcerer's ApprenticeJames Algar, Rite of SpringBill Roberts, Paul Satterfield, The Pastoral SymphonyHamilton Luske, Jim Handley, Ford Beebe, Dance of the HoursT. Hee, Norman Ferguson [Norm Ferguson], Ave MariaWilfred Jackson
Writing:Toccata and Fugue in D MinorLee Blair (Story By), Elmer Plummer (Story By), Phil Dike (Story By), The Nutcracker SuiteSylvia Moberly-Holland (Story By), Norman Wright (Story By), Albert Heath (Story By), Bianca Majolie (Story By), Graham Heid (Story By), The Sorcerer's ApprenticePerce Pearce [Perc Pearce] (Story By), Carl Fallberg (Story By), Rite of SpringWilliam Martin (Story By), Leo Thiele (Story By), Robert Sterner (Story By), John Fraser McLeish (Story By), The Pastoral SymphonyOtto Englander (Story By), Webb Smith (Story By), Erdman Penner (Story By), Joseph Sabo (Story By), Bill Peet [Bill Peed] (Story By), George Stallings (Story By), Ave MariaCampbell Grant (Story By), Arthur Heinemann (Story By), Phil Dike (Story By)
Length:124 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish, Commentary

Stars:
Leopold Stokowski as Conductor
The Philadelphia Orchestra as Music as Played
Deems Taylor as Narrative Introductions
Ave MariaJulietta Novis as Soloist (voice)

Plot:
Walt Disney's animated musical masterpiece is an extravaganza of sight and sound—now brilliantly restored for the first time ever in high definition! Blu-ray technology finally allows you to experience Fantasia—and Fantasia 2000, the triumphant classic it inspired—the way Walt envisioned! Plus, for the first time ever on Blu-ray, experience the 2003 Academy Award®-nominated animated short Destino—the extraordinary collaboration between Walt Disney and legendary artist Salvador Dali!

Revealing new bonus features and commentary bring the Fantasia experience to life, allowing generations of moviegoers all over the world to enjoy this timeless classic like never before. See the music come to life, hear the pictures burst into song and experience the excitement that is Fantasia over and over again.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • DisneyView

My Thoughts:

I have seen bits and pieces of this one before. But I think that this is the first time I seen the whole film. I did find it enjoyable. Some segments more then others. My favorite segment has to be "The Sourcer's Apprentice," At least for me one big downfall of this film has to be the narrarator. He just talked too much when introducing the segments. He should have announced the segments without telling us what we were about to see. So the film is entertaining enough... but could have been better.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2018, 05:01:12 PM »
     The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration (1972/United States)

Paramount Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Francis Ford Coppola
Writing:Mario Puzo (Screenwriter), Francis Ford Coppola (Screenwriter), Mario Puzo (Original Material By)
Length:177 min.
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Marlon Brando as Don Vito Corleone
Al Pacino as Michael
James Caan as Sonny
Richard Castellano (1933) as Clemenza
Robert Duvall as Tom Hagen

Plot:
Regarded as one of the best American films ever, by the American Film Institute, Francis Ford Coppola's epic masterpiece features Marlon Brando in his Oscar®-winning* role as the patriarch of the Corleone family. The Godfather® is a violent and chilling portrait of the Sicilian family's struggle to stay in power in a post-war America of corruption, deceit and betrayal. Coppola begins his legendary trilogy, masterfully balancing the story of the Corleone's family life and the ugly crime business in which they are engaged. Based on Mario Puzo's best-selling novel and featuring career-making performances by Al Pacino, James Caan and Robert Duvall, this searing and brilliant film garnered ten Academy Award® nominations, and won three including Best Picture of 1972.

*Best Actor in a Leading Role 1972

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary

My Thoughts:

I wouldn't say this is a favorite film of mine. But It is very well done and holds your interest with ease. And the film did seem to hold up well after all these years. Definetly a film that is worth the three hours you need to put in to watch it. I think everyone should see this at least once. Though I do think this one is a little over hyped. I can see how people could go into this one expecting much more. Though I must say that Brando was excellent in the part.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2018, 11:17:46 PM »
     Ghost: Widescreen Collection (1990/United States)

Paramount Home Video (United States)
Director:Jerry Zucker
Writing:Bruce Joel Rubin (Writer)
Length:127 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Patrick Swayze as Sam Wheat
Demi Moore as Molly Jensen
Tony Goldwyn as Carl Bruner
Elevator MenStanley Lawrence

Plot:
Think of the most touching love story you ever saw. Think, too, of the brightest comedy, the most astonishing supernatural tale and a sleek mystery-thriller. Did you come up with four separate films? Or are you among the millions of fans and critics who've discovered Ghost, the #1 film of 1990? Ghost will surprise you, delight you, make you believe. Patrick Swayze plays a ghost who teams with a psychic (Academy-Award® winner Whoopi Goldberg) to uncover the truth behind his murder — and to rescue his sweetheart (Demi Moore) from a similar fate. "The word of mouth is that Ghost is a 'must-see' romance," says Entertainment Weekly. Ditto to that!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

It has been many years since I seen this one. Used to see it on cable all the time, I remembered enjoying it.... but I didn't remember much else storyline wise. It is a good film. A supernatural romance thriller. Whoopi Goldberg is a good addition for some much needed comedy to round it out. Well worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2018, 07:11:19 PM »
     Close Encounters of the Third Kind: 30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition (1977/United States)
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Steven Spielberg
Writing:Steven Spielberg (Writer)
Length:137 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, French: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles:Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Richard Dreyfuss as Roy Neary
François Truffaut [Francois Truffaut] as Claude Lacombe
Teri Garr as Ronnie Neary
Melinda Dillon as Jillian Guiler
Bob Balaban as David Laughlin

Plot:
Steven Spielberg's classic film is back now on this never-before-released Ultimate Edition Blu-ray Disc,™ which includes all three versions of the sci-fi blockbuster. Richard Dreyfuss stars as cable worker Roy Neary, who along with several other stunned bystanders experience a close encounter of the first kind — witnessing UFOs soaring across the sky. After this life-changing event, the inexplicable vision of a strange, mountain-like formation haunts him. He becomes obsessed with discovering what it represents, much to the dismay of his wife and family. Meanwhile, bizarre occurrences are happening around the world. Government agents have close encounters of the second kind — discovering physical evidence of extraterrestrial visitors in the form of a lost fighter aircraft from World War II and a stranded military ship that disappeared decades earlier only to suddenly reappear in unusual places. Roy continues to chase his vision to a remote area where he and the agents follow the clues that have drawn them to reach a site where they will have a close encounter of the third kind — contact.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Interviews
  • Storyboard Comparisons
  • Collector's Book; All new intro by Steven Spielberg

My Thoughts:

While I found this one to be a good movie. It was however a little slow for my taste. While the story line itself didn't feel like much I did like the visuals. I am glad I watched it... but it is not one I could watch often.

Rating:
Pete