Author Topic: Horror / Halloween 2017 Challenge  (Read 27434 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Horror / Halloween 2017 Challenge
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2017, 03:25:26 PM »
     Cube (1997/Canada)
Trailer |IMDb |Wikipedia |
Alliance Films, Alliance Atlantis (Canada)
Director:Vincenzo Natali
Writing:Andre Bijelic (Writer), Vincenzo Natali (Writer), Graeme Manson (Writer)
Length:90 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:French

Stars:
Nicole deBoer as Leaven
Nicky Guadagni as Holloway
David Hewlett as Worth
Andrew Miller as Kazan
Julian Richings as Alderson

Plot:
Six ordinary strangers awaken to find themselves in a seemingly endless maze of interlocking cubical chambers armed with lethal booby traps. Without food or water, they have only a few days to live. None of them knows how or why they've been imprisoned, but soon discover that each possesses a skill that could contribute to their escape. As they work together to extricate themselves from their claustrophobic cell, one thing becomes painfully clear—unless they learn to cooperate to solve the secrets of this deadly trap, none of them has very long to live...

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:

I enjoy this one. Watched it several times over the years. Cube does have a bit of gore in it... but it has much more then that... shows what people are capable of in the name of survival. And you better believe... some of it is not pretty. Another thing I really enjoyed in this movie... it was my first introduction to Nicole DeBoer... an actress I quickly became a fan of. An interesting film for sure.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2017, 05:40:29 PM »
     Cube 2: Hypercube (2002/Canada)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
Lions Gate Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Andrzej Sekula
Writing:Sean Hood (Screenwriter), Ernie Barbarash (Screenwriter), Lauren McLaughlin (Screenwriter), Sean Hood (Story By)
Length:94 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Kari Matchett as Kate Filmore
Geraint Wyn Davies as Simon Grady
Grace Lynn Kung as Sasha
Matthew Ferguson as Max Reisler
Neil Crone as Jerry Whitehall

Plot:
Eight strangers wake up in a bizarre cube with no recollection of how they got there and no idea of how to get out. They soon discover that they're in a deadly dimension where the laws of physics don't apply and they must unravel the secrets of the "hypercube" in order to survive.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Production Notes
  • Multi-angle
  • Interviews
  • Storyboard Comparisons

My Thoughts:

Interesting film. I definitely like the first one better. Though I did like the hypercube... very cool. This one only has one familiar face in it... Graint Wyn Davies from the TV series Forever Knight. Worth the time needed to watch... but nothing to get too excited about.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2017, 08:44:51 PM »
     Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (2016/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Paul W.S. Anderson
Writing:Paul W.S. Anderson (Writer)
Length:107 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Thai: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:Bahasa, Chinese, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai, Vietnamese

Stars:
Milla Jovovich as Alice
Iain Glen as Dr. Isaacs
Ali Larter as Claire Redfield
Shawn Roberts as Wesker
Eoin Macken as Doc

Plot:
Picking up after Resident Evil: Retribution, Alice (Milla Jovovich) is the only survivor of what was meant to be humanity's final stand against the undead. Now, she must return to where the nightmare began – The Hive in Raccoon City, where the Umbrella Corporation is gathering its forces for a final strike against the only remaining survivors of the apocalypse.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Picture-in-picture
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

I found this to be a good, fun film. But I am not surprised as I always liked Action/horror films. Not to mention I have always been a Resident Evil fan. I enjoy both the film and game franchises. I think they did a good job concluding the story line.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2017, 11:11:03 PM »
     Barricade (2012/United States)

WWE Studios (United States)
Director:Andrew Currie
Writing:Michael Brent Collings (Writer)
Length:82 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles:French, Spanish

Stars:
Eric McCormack as Terrance Shade
Jody Thompson (1976) as Leah Shade
Conner Dwelly as Cynthia Shade
Ryan Grantham as Jake Shade
Donnelly Rhodes as Sheriff Howes

Plot:
Terrence Shade (Eric McCormack) takes his children on a holiday getaway to a cabin in the woods. But when a blizzard buries the house, the family finds themselves trapped and without communication. As the storm surges on outside, a sinister presence materializes. Unable to explain it, and unable to escape it, they quickly realize that maybe they haven't locked the evil out...instead they've just locked it in.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery

My Thoughts:

Not bad... but it can get a little confusing if you don't give it your full attention.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2017, 03:47:27 AM »
     Insidious (2011/United States)
Trailer |IMDb |Wikipedia |
Director:James Wan
Writing:Leigh Whannell (Writer)
Length:103 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1

Stars:
Patrick Wilson (1973) as Josh Lambert
Rose Byrne as Renai Lambert
Ty Simpkins as Dalton Lambert
Lin Shaye as Elise Rainier
Leigh Whannell as Specs

Plot:
From the makers of Paranormal Activity, INSIDIOUS is the terrifying story of a family who, shortly after moving, discovers that dark spirits have possessed their home and that their son has inexplicably fallen into a coma. Trying to escape the haunting and save their son, they move again only to realize that it was not their house that was haunted.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • BD-Live

My Thoughts:

This is my second viewing of the film. I did like it but found I didn't care about the characters as much as I should have. The atmosphere was good... but not great. Though it did have some pretty cool visuals.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2017, 05:32:46 PM »
Still been watching but been a bit busy to write reviews... but here is a list of films and ratings that I watched since last post...

It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown
Clue
All Hallow's Eve
The Babysitter
Monsterville: Cabinet of Souls
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2017, 06:35:56 PM »
     Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992/United States)
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Fran Rubel Kuzui
Writing:Joss Whedon (Writer)
Length:86 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: DTS: 5.1, French: DTS: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: Mono, German: DTS: 5.1, Italian: DTS: 5.1, Russian: DTS: 5.1, Thai: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:Chinese, Croatian, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Icelandic, Italian, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish

Stars:
Candy Clark as Buffy's Mom
Kristy Swanson as Buffy
Donald Sutherland as Merrick
Paul Reubens as Amilyn
Rutger Hauer as Lothos

Plot:
Blonde, bouncy Buffy (KRISTY SWANSON) is your typical high school cheerleader – her goal is to "marry Christian Slater and die" and nothing gets in her way when it's time to shop. But all that changes when a strange man (DONALD SUTHERLAND) informs her she's been chosen by fate to kill vampires.

With the help of a romantic rebel (LUKE PERRY), Buffy is soon spending school nights protecting L.A. from Lothos, the Vampire King (RUTGER HAUER), his sidekick, Lefty (PAUL REUBENS), and their determined gang of bloodsuckers. It's everything you'd expect from a teen queen in the Valley.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

I know a lot of people that prefer the TV Series to this movie... and I agree... I do enjoy the series more... but I do still enjoy the movie as well. As much as I enjoy this one... I have no idea why. It isn't particularly that funny... but all the same I still really get a kick out of it.... and keep finding myself coming back to it! I think if you go into this one expecting what it is... a silly, cheesy movie... then I think you will enjoy it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2017, 03:38:05 PM »
     Hotel Transylvania 2 (2015/United States)
Director:Genndy Tartakovsky
Writing:Robert Smigel (Writer), Adam Sandler (Writer)
Length:89 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish, Commentary

Stars:
Adam Sandler as Dracula (voice)
Andy Samberg as Jonathan (voice)
Selena Gomez as Mavis (voice)
Kevin James (1965) as Frankenstein (voice)
Steve Buscemi as Wayne (voice)

Plot:
In this all-new monster comedy adventure, everything seems to be changing for the better at Hotel Transylvania! However, Drac is worried that his adorable half-human, half-vampire grandson, Dennis, isn't showing signs of being a vampire. So while Mavis is on vacation, things get batty as Drac enlists his monster friends Frank, Murray, Wayne and Griffin to put Dennis through a "monster-in-training" boot camp!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Music Videos
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

I must say... while I enjoy the first one a little more... I really liked this one as well. Lots of laugh out loud moments with many (if not all) the characters from the first movie. I can see myself watching a Hotel Transylvania double feature often! It is a must see if you liked the fist one.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2017, 06:13:02 PM »
     Stan Helsing (2009/Canada)
Anchor Bay Entertainment (United States)
Director:Bo Zenga
Writing:Bo Zenga (Writer)
Length:90 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: PCM: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Steve Howey as Stan
Diora Baird as Nadine
Kenan Thompson as Teddy
Desi Lydic as Mia
Leslie Nielsen as Kay

Plot:
It's Halloween night, and video clerk Stan Helsing (Steve Howey of REBA) along with his sexy ex-girlfriend (Diora Baird of THE WEDDING CRASHERS and TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE: THE BEGINNING), his best buddy (Kenan Thompson of SNL) and an "exotic dancer/massage therapist" (Desi Lydic) - detour into a town cursed by parodies of 6 of the biggest monsters in movie history: Freddy (A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET), Jason (FRIDAY THE 13TH), Pinhead (HELLRAISER), Leatherface (THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE), Chucky (CHILD'S PLAY) and Michael Myers (HALLOWEEN). But when Stan discovers that he's a direct descendant of the legendary monster hunter Van Helsing, the four have to survive a night with the monsters, homicidal hitchhikers, vampire strippers, killer karaoke, and the temptations of lots of hot chicks. Did we mention that Leslie Nielsen of AIRPLANE! and THE NAKED GUN co-stars in this hysterical horror spoof written by one of the guys who brought you SCARY MOVIE? Now take this movie to the front of the store and pay the man!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:

I used to be more into these spoof films then I am now. But I still enjoy one every now and then. This one is just average. It has a few decent laughs.... but for the most part it is just silly in a stupid way.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2017, 06:34:45 PM »
     Halloween (1978/United States)
Anchor Bay Entertainment (United States)
Director:John Carpenter (1948)
Writing:John Carpenter (1948) (Screenwriter), Debra Hill (Screenwriter)
Length:91 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 7.1, English: Dolby TrueHD: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Donald Pleasence as Loomis
Jamie Lee Curtis as Laurie
Nancy Kyes [Nancy Loomis] as Annie
P. J. Soles [P J Soles] as Lynda
Charles Cyphers as Brackett

Plot:
"Halloween," says Entertainment Weekly, "is, was, and ever shall be the alpha and omega of boogeyman flicks." And to commemorate its legacy as one of the greatest horror films of all time, John Carpenter's 1978 masterpiece is now presented in this ultimate fan edition. This Blu-ray features a newly remastered HD transfer supervised by cinematographer Dean Cundey, all-new Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio AND original mono soundtracks, an audio commentary reuniting director John Carpenter and star Jamie Lee Curtis, an hour-long Curtis featurette, and much more. The immortal original is back and now more terrifying than ever. This is the night Michael Myers comes home like you've never seen or heard it before!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Radio Spots

My Thoughts:

This is of course a classic horror that I must watch every year around this time.The one that started it all... and finding out from one of the featurettes on the disc... a movie that was shot very quickly and cheaply. You would never know it watching the movie. I feel they all did an awesome job on this movie! While it would be hard for me to believe... if there is any horror fan out there that never seen this movie... I highly recommend checking it out ASAP!

Rating:
Pete