Author Topic: Horror / Halloween 2017 Challenge  (Read 27217 times)

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Horror / Halloween 2017 Challenge
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2017, 05:32:31 PM »

Wishing Stairs
Year of Release: 2003
Directed By: Jae-Yeon Yun
Starring: Ji-hyo Song, Han-byeol Park, An Jo, Ji-Yeon Park
Genre: Horror

Overview:
Legend has it, if you climb the 28 stairs leading to the school dormitory and count each step aloud, a 29th step will appear and a spirit will grant you a wish. If your intentions are honorable, your wish can be a blessing of good fortune. But at this high school, where jealousy and paranoia reign supreme, malicious wishes are about to unleash an unspeakable evil. Be careful what you wish for; some wishes were never meant to be granted.

My Thoughts:
This is the third Whispering Corridors film. Like the previous two, it's a film about the pressures of high school, bullying, academic expectaitons, and also about love and friendship, and taboo relationships. It's about girls who care for one another but are also forced into intense competition. It starts off slow, giving us a chance to get to know these girls and build their relationships before things get grim and horrific. Be careful what you wish for. The film then develops into a genuinely creepy ghost story. Recommended for folks who enjoy Korean horror. The first two films in this series are pretty good too.

Bechdel Test: Pass
Mako Mori Test: Pass

Overall: 3.25/5
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2017, 05:43:10 PM »

Isle of the Dead
Year of Release: 1945
Directed By: Mark Robson
Starring: Boris Karloff, Ellen Drew, Marc Cramer, Katherine Emery, Helene Thimig
Genre: Suspense/Thriller, Horror

Overview:
The most celebrated star in the history of screen horror headlines these two atmospheric works filled with producer Val Lewton's trademark mix of mood, madness and premeditated dread. Boris Karloff shares a quarantined house with other strangers on a plague-infested - perhaps spirit-haunted Isle of the Dead.

My Thoughts:
Decent short thriller starring Boris Karloff, that proves that nothing is more deadly than superstition coupled with authority. Karloff is a talented actor and he's playing a kind of character here that I haven't seen from him before. (Though to be fair, he made a lot of movies and I feel like I haven't scratched the surface.) I also really liked both Katherine Emery and Ellen Drew's characters, as they weren't the usual screamers I expect in films of this vintage. Both had their moments of fear and weakness, but both had their moments of strength as well. Not exactly a horror film, IMO, really a thriller with horror elements, but recommended if you enjoy the shorter 40's thrillers.

Bechdel Test: Fail
Mako Mori Test: Fail

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2017, 05:46:10 PM »

The Shallows
Year of Release: 2016
Directed By: Jaume Collet-Serra
Starring: Blake Lively, Óscar Jaenada, Angelo Josue Lozano Corzo, Jose Manuel Trujillo Salas
Genre: Drama, Horror, Suspense/Thriller

Overview:
In the taut thriller,when Nancy (Blake Lively) is surfing on a secluded beach, she finds herself on the feeding ground of a great white shark. Though she is stranded only 200 yards from shore, survival proves to be the ultimate test of wills, requiring all of Nancy's ingenuity,resourcefulness and fortitude.

My Thoughts:
Really sharp, tense piece of survival horror. Beautifully filmed in a gorgeous location that belies the danger lurking beneath the surface. Blake Lively does a great job as the young woman trying to escape her problems only to be confronted by one she can't run away from. I love love love her character arc. She develops into a really strong, kick-ass person who is determined to fight for her life. I also really like that you find out a bit about the shark that gives him a motivation for being so interested in killing humans.

Overall, great film and highly recommended for fans of survival horror.

Overall: 4/5
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2017, 05:53:39 PM »

Cat's Eye
Year of Release: 1985
Directed By: Lewis Teague
Starring: Drew Barrymore, James Woods, Alan King, Kenneth McMillan, Robert Hays
Genre: Suspense/Thriller, Horror

Overview:
A wandering supernatural feline's adventures provide the linking story for Stephen King's Cat's Eye, a dead-on thrillogy scripted by King and directed by Lewis Teague (Cujo). The staff at Quitters Inc. promises to help nicotine fiend Dick Morrison (James Woods) kick the habit. Next, a luckless gambler (Robert Hays) is forced into a bet involving a stroll around the building – on the five-inch ledge encircling the 30th floor. Finally, our wayfarer kitty rescues a schoolgirl (Drew Barrymore) from a vile, doll-sized troll.

My Thoughts:
Solid, if not inspiring, piece of anthology horror. Everyone gives a good performance, though I found the mother's character in "The General" to be a bit over-the-top with her immediate hatred of the cat.

"Quitters Inc." is the first short, and easily the most horrific. It's really the only piece to remain a true story of horror, for it has an open ending hinting at the possibility that it will never end. Definitely the best of the three. "The General" was my favorite, because I really liked the design of the troll and it's the story you get to see the most of the cat in. The central piece, "The Ledge," is a good story, but I simply didn't connect with it as well as the other two.

There are some cute nods to other works of Stephen King's such as Cujo and Christine being the most obvious. Definitely recommended for fans of King's, and wouldn't be a bad choice for a watch with older kids who want a horror film.

-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2017, 05:58:37 PM »

In the Mouth of Madness
Year of Release: 1994
Directed By: John Carpenter
Starring: Sam Neill, Julie Carmen, Jurgen Prochnow
Genre: Horror

Overview:
Sutter Cane is this century's most widely read author and his novels have been translated into 18 different languages, spawning a billion dollar industry. When Cane vanishes just days before he's expected to deliver his last manuscript, his publisher hires John Trent to investigate his disappearance. Trent believe at first it's an ill conceived publicity stunt--until he and Linda Styles, Cane's editor, travel to New England. There, they wind up in a town that cannot be found on any ordinary map- called Hobbs End, a fictional village that exists only in Cane's novels. Has the investigation unearthed a fantasy world or has reality blended with the macabre imagination of Sutter Cane?

My Thoughts:
Though this adapts no specific story, it has the most wonderful Lovecraftian feel. The idea of ancient beings of terrible and immense power, of humanity teetering on the edge of knowlege to horrific to be borne; that is so much Lovecraft's work. If you're a Lovecraft fan looking for a good movie adapted from his work, you won't be disappointed.

Sam Neill does a great job as the insurance investigator sent to find missing best-selling author Sutter Cane, whose latest manuscript will be worth millions of dollars to his publishing house if only they can lay their hands on it. He embodies a certain kind of character here, the sceptic that continually denies even after evidence is presented until it completely overwhelms him, and makes him both realistic and sympathetic.

Really, really excellent film. Not a linear film, and you should pay attention to catch all the details. Feels like it should be a must see for horror fans.

-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2017, 06:02:40 PM »

The Thing
Year of Release: 1982
Directed By: John Carpenter
Starring: Kurt Russell, A. Wilford Brimley, T.K. Carter, David Clennon
Genre: Horror, Science Fiction

Overview:
Horror-meister John Carpenter (Halloween, Escape from New York) teams Kurt Russell's outstanding performance with incredible visuals to build this chilling version of the classic The Thing. In the winter of 1982, a twelve-man research team at a remote Antarctic research station discovers an alien buried in the snow for over 100,000 years. Once unfrozen, the form-changing alien wreaks havoc, creates terror and becomes one of them.

My Thoughts:
Another Lovecraftian film, for all that it's based on a novella by John W. Campbell, Jr. I was personally reminded a lot of At the Mountains of Madness, likely because of the Antarctic setting and the alien entity.

Really well done piece of sci-fi horror. Great work at showing the paranoia and breakdown of trust that happens between the crew as they begin to suspect that everyone around them may be an enemy. Great use of the isolated setting, and how that isolation can feed into the horror. Carpenter has some really gruesome, bloody effects here in the alien transformations, making this a body horror as well as anything else. Kurt Russell is really good in his role as our hero, and I came to appreciate his character more than I thought I would when he was first introduced. In fact, I thought all of the cast was strong.

Good directing, good cast, strong script, all round good film. I can see why this is so highly thought of. High recommendation from me as well. Likely a must see for horror fans.

-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2017, 08:19:26 PM »
     Body Bags: Collector's Edition (1993/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Scream Factory, Shout! Factory (United States)
Director:John Carpenter (1948), Tobe Hooper
Writing:Billy Brown (Writer), Dan Angel (Writer)
Length:94 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English

Stars:
"THE MORGUE"John Carpenter (1948) as Coroner
Tom Arnold as Man #1
Tobe Hooper as Man #2
"THE GAS STATION"

Plot:
Two Masters of Horror – John Carpenter (Halloween, The Thing) and Tobe Hooper (The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Lifeforce) – come together to create a chilling anthology of terror.

Alex Datcher (Passenger 57) stars as a woman working the late shift at "The Gas Station" while a killer is on the loose. Then, Stacy Keach (Road Games) can't stand the thought of losing his "Hair" and he'll do anything to keep it. And finally, Mark Hamill (Star Wars) portrays a baseball player that submits to an "Eye" transplant after he loses an eye in a car accident.

Featuring guest appearances by Deborah Harry, Sheena Easton, Twiggy, David Naughton (An American Werewolf In London), John Agar (Tarantula), David Warner (Time After Time) and cameos by Wes Craven, Tobe Hooper and Roger Corman, Body Bags delivers a fright-filled night of horror.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

This is a TV movie that originally aired on Showtime. Going into this one all I really really remembered is I enjoyed it quite a bit. While I didn't enjoy it quite as much as I remembered... I still enjoyed it quite a bit and glad I finally have it in my collection. The first of the stories is by far my favorite. The other two... while not as good... are still rather enjoyable.This film is worth the hour and a half you need to put in to watch it. But it is not the best anthology horror I have seen.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2017, 04:28:37 PM »
     The Mummy (2017/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
Universal Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Alex Kurtzman
Writing:David Koepp (Screenwriter), Christopher McQuarrie (Screenwriter), Dylan Kussman (Screenwriter), Jon Spaihts (Story By), Alex Kurtzman (Story By), Jenny Lumet (Story By)
Length:110 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 7.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Tom Cruise as Nick Morton
Russell Crowe as Henry Jekyll
Annabelle Wallis as Jenny Halsey
Sofia Boutella as Ahmanet
Jake Johnson (1978) as Sgt. Vail

Plot:
Tom Cruise stars in this spectacular version of the legend that has fascinated cultures all over the world since the dawn of civilization: The Mummy. Thought safely entombed deep beneath the desert, an ancient princess (Sofia Boutella) whose destiny was unjustly taken from her is awakened in our current day. Her malevolence has grown over millennia and with it come terrors that defy human comprehension. From the sands of the Middle East through modern-day London. The Mummy balances wonder, thrills and imagination.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • BD-Live
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

This film is a good combination of action and horror. It is not the greatest I seen of it's type... but well worth the time put in to watch it. I never been a huge fan of Tom Cruise... but he has grown on me over the past few years. I am not really familiar with the actress but I liked the woman that played Ahmanet. I also liked how they left the ending open for a possible franchise.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2017, 10:22:44 PM »
     Tales of Terror (1962/United States)

MGM Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Roger Corman
Writing:Richard Matheson (Screenwriter), Edgar Allan Poe (Original Material By)
Length:89 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:French, Spanish

Stars:
MorellaVincent Price (1911) as Locke
Maggie Pierce as Lenora
Leona Gage as Morella

Plot:
This triple treat of terror is a three-episode "blood-dripping package that includes murder, necrophilia, dementia, live burials, open tombs, exhumation, resurrection, zombies and feline vengeance," resulting in nothing less than "juicy entertainment" and "spine-chilling cinema" (Cue). Mix in three of horrordom's greatest villains, Vincent Price, Peter Lorre and Basil Rathbone, and you've got a shocker you dare not watch alone!

Price stars in all three episodes, including Morella, in which a man is haunted after blaming his young daughter for the death of his wife. In The Black Cat, a pair of illicit lovers are buried alive by a jealous husband, and in The Case of M. Valdemar, a sorcerer's spell backfires when he sentences an innocent man to living hell.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

This one is very good. I enjoyed all segments. But I especially liked the middle segment with Peter Lorre.... The Black Cat. That has to be my favorite of the three. Definitely worth the time put in to watch it. Recommended.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2017, 01:34:30 AM »
     Let the Right One In (2008/Sweden)
Magnolia Home Entertainment, Magnet (United States)
Director:Tomas Alfredson
Writing:John Ajvide Lindqvist (Screenwriter), John Ajvide Lindqvist (Original Material By)
Length:115 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Swedish: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Kåre Hedebrant as Oskar
Lina Leandersson as Eli
Per Ragnar as Håkan
Henrik Dahl as Erik
Karin Bergquist as Yvonne

Plot:
Lonely, 12-year-old Oskar is regularly bullied by his stronger classmates. A new friendship develops when Eli, a pale, serious young girl who only comes out at night moves in next door. Coinciding with her arrival is a series of inexplicable disappearances and murders. As Oskar becomes more aware of Eli's tragic plight, he cannot forsake her. However, Eli knows that to continue living, she must keep relocating. But when Oskar faces his darkest hour, Eli returns to defend him the only way she can...

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery

My Thoughts:

I enjoyed this one very much. It is at a slower pace then I am normally used to... but that really works with this storyline. I liked the way this movie handled entering a home without an invite. An idea I never seen before... as the way I normally see it the vampire just cannot enter... like there is an invisible force field in the way. So I got to see something I never seen in a vampire movie before this one... and with all the vampire movies I ever seen... that is saying a lot. This is one I definitely recommend... if you never seen it... give it a chance!

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2017, 01:25:12 PM »
     Tower of Terror (1997/)
Buena Vista Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:D. J. MacHale
Writing:D. J. MacHale (Writer)
Length:89 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:

Stars:
Steve Guttenberg as Buzzy Crocker
Kirsten Dunst as Anna
Nia Peeples as Jill Perry
Michael McShane as Chris 'Q' Todd
Amzie Strickland as Abigail Gregory

Plot:
Big-screen stars Steve Guttenberg (Three Men And A Little Lady) and Kirsten Dunst (Drop Dead Gorgeous) encounter a host of haunts in this delightfully spooky mystery! Buzzy Crocker (Guttenberg) is a hard-luck photojournalist whose unexpected encounter with an old woman leads him to investigate an unexplained, decades-old disappearance. It seems that one Halloween night, many years ago, five partygoers vanished in the elevator of the Hollywood Tower Hotel...and ever since, their ghosts have remained trapped inside the dilapidated old building! In an action-filled story that delivers creepy fun for everyone, Buzzy ultimately teams with his niece (Dunst) to solve the mystery while managing to save their lives and capture the biggest story of the year!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

This is a film that my daughter and I used to watch... so holds some nostalgia for me. I found it to be a fun movie. I have seen better, but is well worth the watch and perfect for family entertainment during the Halloween season. I recommend giving it a chance.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2017, 08:22:00 PM »
     The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016/United States)
IMDb |Trailer |Wikipedia |
Shout! Factory (United States)
Director:André Øvredal
Writing:Ian Goldberg (Writer), Richard Naing (Writer)
Length:87 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Brian Cox (1946) as Tommy
Emile Hirsch as Austin
Ophelia Lovibond as Emma
Michael McElhatton as Sheriff Burke
Olwen Kelley as Jane Doe

Plot:
It's just another night at the morgue for a father (Brian Cox, Trick 'r Treat, Zodiac) and son (Emile Hirsch, Lone Survivor, Killer Joe) team of coroners, until an unidentified, highly unusual corpse arrives. Discovered buried in the basement of the home of a brutally murdered family, the young Jane Doe — eerily well-preserved and with no visible signs of trauma — is shrouded in mystery. As they work into the night to piece together the cause of her death, the two men begin to uncover the disturbing secrets of her life. Soon, a series of terrifying events make it clear: this Jane Doe may not be dead. The latest from Troll Hunter director André Øvredal is a scarily unpredictable, supernatural shocker that never lets up. This chiller also stars Ophelia Lovibond (Guardians Of The Galaxy) and Michael McEhatton (Game Of Thrones).

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers

My Thoughts:

This one I enjoyed quite a bit. It has some decent atmosphere as well as some unusual and unexpected visuals. The story line itself easily kept my interest. I would say this one is worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2017, 09:48:42 PM »
     Trilogy of Terror: Special Edition (1975/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |
MPI Home Video, Dark Sky Films (United States)
Director:Dan Curtis
Writing:JulieWilliam F. Nolan (Screenwriter), Richard Matheson (Original Material By), Millicent and ThereseWilliam F. Nolan (Screenwriter), Richard Matheson (Original Material By), AmeliaRichard Matheson (Screenwriter), Richard Matheson (Original Material By)
Length:72 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Karen Black as Julie/Millicent/Therese/Amelia
Robert Burton (1895) as Chad Foster
John Karlen as Thomas Amman
George Gaynes as Dr. Chester Ramsey
James Storm as Eddie Nells

Plot:
Legendary producer/director Dan Curtis (Dark Shadows, The Night Stalker) teams up with writers Richard Matheson (I Am Legend, The Twilight Zone) and William F. Nolan (Logan's Run, Burnt Offerings) to present three tales of horrific suspense in this made-for-television anthology that also showcases the tremendous acting talent of Karen Black (House of 1,000 Corpses, Easy Rider), who plays four distinct roles. In "Julie," an aggressive college student seduces and ultimately blackmails his seemingly shy English professor. In "Millicent and Therese," two polar-opposite sisters become increasingly hell-bent on the undoing of one another. And in "Amelia," a woman falls prey to a murderous Zuni fetish doll.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

This is a TV movie from back in the '70s. Remembering back to when I was working at our local video store... this movie was in great demand. Unfortunately at the time I never got to see it myself as the store's copy disappeared and none of our distributors at the time could locate a new copy for us (this is back in the VHS days). So the first time I got to see this movie was when I first got it on DVD back in 2007. And I must say I enjoyed it very much! And I have definitely got my money worth out of it as I have watched this film several times since.

The first story,Julie, Karen Black plays a College Professor who gets seduced and blackmailed (as the cover says).I liked how the student didn't have as much control over things as he thought he did. An enjoyable segment... but not my favorite.

The next story is Millicent and Therese where we have some sibling rivalry. This one, while I still enjoyed it, it wasn't as good as the first one. So this one has to be my least favorite segment of the movie.

The final story, Amelia, a woman falls prey to a murderous Zuni Fetish Doll. This is my favorite segment of the entire movie. It was very well done... especially for the time. And I just couldn't help but to get a kick out of that Zuni Fetish Doll. And as much as I liked that little guy... I must say the final scene is really what clinched this segment for me.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2017, 11:16:56 PM »
     Badass Monster Killer: Limited Edition (2015/United States)
IMDb |Trailer |
(United States)
Director:Darin Wood
Writing:Darin Wood (Writer)
Length:96 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: PCM: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Jawara Duncan as Jimmy Chevelle
Amy Geiger as Lola Maldonado
Ryan Cicak as Reverend Anton Dellamorte
Stephanie Hyden as Nina Valencia
Tara Henry as Chief McCracken

Plot:
On the trashy side of Camaroville, there's a mob turf war going down, but the new gang in town ain't content with merely controlling the local dope and sex trade. They are also mixed up with dangerous black magic, intent on resurrecting hideous demon-gods who have waited centuries for the chance to eat all our souls and enslave mankind!

These blasphemous bad guys need stopping, and Jimmy Chevelle, agent of The Department of Supernatural Security, is just the cat to do the stopping. He hasn't let the man keep him down, and he's certainly not going to let some sinister shape-shifting suckas destroy the earth, and all of its foxy, foxy chicks, if HE can help it.

But can he stop the gangster cult's evil plans in time? Get ready for a freaky, funky thrill ride with demonic pimps, kung fu super foxes and terrible sanity-shattering extraterrestrial horrors from beyond space and time!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Gallery

My Thoughts:

This one is just plane bad. Between the blackplotation and the bad acting had me feeling this already. But the kicker in this one for me was the fact that they did something digitally to the background over every single scene giving it a dirty, distorted and cartoonish look. Having the background like this in every scene literally made my eyes hurt and gave me a headache. This is one time I couldn't even finish the film.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2017, 03:03:58 PM »
     Tim Burton's Corpse Bride (2005/United States)
Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Mike Johnson, Tim Burton
Writing:Tim Burton (Original Characters By), Carlos Grangel (Original Characters By), John August (Screenwriter), Caroline Thompson (Screenwriter), Pamela Pettler (Screenwriter)
Length:77 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital EX: 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), French: Dolby Digital EX: 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), Spanish: Dolby Digital EX: 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), Music Only: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Johnny Depp as Victor Van Dort (voice)
Helena Bonham Carter as Corpse Bride (voice)
Emily Watson (1967) as Victoria Everglot (voice)
Tracey Ullman as Nell Van Dort/Hildegarde (voice)
Paul Whitehouse as William Van Dort/Mayhew/Paul The Head (voice)

Plot:
An Academy Award® nominee and National Board of Review Award winner as 2005's Best Animated Feature, Tim Burton's Corpse Bride carries on in the dark, romantic tradition of his classic Edward Scissorhands and Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Set in a 19th-century European village, this stop-motion animated feature follows the story of Victor (voiced by Johnny Depp), a young man whisked away to the underworld and wed to a mysterious Corpse Bride (voiced by Helena Bonham Carter), while his real bride Victoria (voiced by Emily Watson) waits bereft in the land of the living. Though life in the Land of the Dead proves to be a lot more colorful than his strict upbringing, Victor learns that there is nothing in this world – or the next – that can keep him away from his one true love. It's a tale of optimism, romance and a very lively afterlife, told in classic Burton style.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

One look at this film and you know it is one of Tim Burton's. This is a fun film perfect for the Halloween season. I can see this one easily becoming a Halloween tradition. The story, the atmosphere, the cast... all this makes for a film that is well worth the time put in to watch it. Definitely one I would recommend for a good time with at least most ages in the family.

Rating:
Pete