Author Topic: Horror / Halloween 2017 Challenge  (Read 27223 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Horror / Halloween 2017 Challenge
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2017, 04:53:09 AM »
     Fright Night (1985/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Columbia TriStar Home Video (United States)
Director:Tom Holland (1943)
Writing:Tom Holland (1943) (Writer)
Length:106 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:Chinese, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Chris Sarandon as Jerry Dandrige
William Ragsdale as Charley Brewster
Amanda Bearse as Amy Peterson
Roddy McDowall as Peter Vincent
Stephen Geoffreys as Evil Ed

Plot:
Meet Jerry Dandridge. He's sweet, sexy, and he likes to sleep in late. You might think he's the perfect neighbor. But before inviting Jerry in for a nightcap, there's just one thing you should know. Jerry prefers his drinks warm, red — and straight from the jugular! It's FRIGHT NIGHT, a horrific howl starring Chris Sarandon as the seductive vampire and William Ragsdale as the frantic teenager struggling to keep Jerry's deadly fangs out of his neck. Only 17-year-old Charley Brewster (Ragsdale) knows Jerry's bloodcurdling secret. When Charley can't get anybody to believe him, he turns to TV horror host Peter Vincent (Roddy McDowall), who used to be the "Great Vampire Killer" of the movies. Can these mortals save Charley and his sweetheart Amy (Amanda Bearse) from the wrathful bloodsucker's toothy embrace? If you love being scared, FRIGHT NIGHT will give you the nightmare of your life!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

I had to watch this one... it is one of my favorite vampire movies. No it is not the scariest Vampire movie out there... but for some reason I think it is a lot of fun... and I never tire of it. Of course the fact that Roddy McDowall is in it is a help. Also Amanda Bearse (the neighbor in Married... With Children) is in it as well... looking rather young which is surprising since the movie is only 2 years older then the series is. I think Chris Sarandon did a good job at bringing the classic idea of the vampire to this movie. but at the same time thought Stephen Geoffreys (Evil Ed) did a great job for a fun vampire that gave us a few laughs. I must admit though... I have always been disappointed in Amanda Bearse's look as a vampire... first I didn't care for her with that long red wig on... then I despised the look of the "Monster" version of her Vampire. Oh well... the way I see it is if that is all I have to complain about... then so what... I will enjoy this movie for years to come.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 05:04:50 AM »
     Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse (2015/United States)

Paramount Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Christopher Landon
Writing:Carrie Evans (Screenwriter), Emi Mochizuki (Screenwriter), Christopher Landon (Screenwriter), Carrie Evans (Story By), Emi Mochizuki (Story By), Lona Williams (Story By)
Length:92 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Ty Sheridan as Ben Goudy
Logan Miller as Carter Grant
Joey Morgan as Augie Foster
Sarah Dumont as Denise Russo
David Koechner as Scout Leader Rogers

Plot:
Three scouts and lifelong friends join forces with one badass cocktail waitress to become the world's most unlikely team of heroes. When their peaceful town is ravaged by a zombie invasion, they'll fight for the badge of a lifetime and put their scouting skills to a test to save mankind from the undead. "Wickedly funny and endlessly entertaining."* Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse is "wall-to-wall laughs, thrills, and chills."**

*Heather Wixson, DAILY DEAD
**Steve Barton, DREAD CENTRAL

Extras:
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

What do I say about this one? Mostly unfunny comedy... though there is a few good jokes here and there. Some of it works some of it doesn't. The same goes for the zombie effects and action. It is one that kept my attention enough to get through it. But is no more then an average horror comedy.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 02:06:12 PM »
     Stephen King's It (1990/United States)
Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Tommy Lee Wallace
Writing:Stephen King (1947) (Original Material By), Lawrence D. Cohen (Screenwriter), Tommy Lee Wallace (Screenwriter)
Length:187 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, German: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Italian: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Czech: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai

Stars:
Harry Anderson (1952) as Richard "Richie" Tozier
Dennis Christopher as Edward "Eddie" Kaspbrak
Richard Masur as Stanley "Stan" Uris
Annette O'Toole as Beverly "Bev" Marsh
Tim Reid as Michael "Mike" Hanlon

Plot:
October, 1957. "It" awakens and the small town of Derry, Maine will never be the same, Stephen King brings to life every childhood fear and phobia as seven children face an unthinkable horror which appears in various forms, including "Pennywise" (Tim Curry) – a clown who lives, hunts and kills from the town's sewers. Years later, the surviving adults who are brave enough return to stop the new killing spree, this time for good.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary

My Thoughts:

This is one of the King miniseries I like a lot... but for some reason seldomly watch. I guess it has something to do with the length of miniseries. This one is loaded with big names and is a story that easily keeps your attention. I am not a big reader so I can't compare the miniseries to the book... but it is one of my favorites of his miniseries.

Comparing it to the new film... there is a lot I actually think they done better in the theatrical film. At the same time there is things I like how they handled here as well. I am familiar with (and fan of) a lot of the cast members in the miniseries. I also liked how this one handled the story in flash backs. Though I am glad the new film did not do this. Over-all I really enjoyed both versions a lot and I can't wait for the next film to get released... will be a must see at the theater as well.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 04:47:24 PM »
     Idle Hands (1999/United States)

Image Entertainment (United States)
Director:Rodman Flender
Writing:Terri Hughes (Writer), Ron Milbauer (Writer)
Length:92 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Devon Sawa as Anton
Seth Green as Mick
Elden Henson as Pnub
Jessica Alba as Molly
Christopher Hart as The Hand

Plot:
Anton Tobias (Devon Sawa, Wild America) is a channel-surfing, junk-food munching, couch potato burn-out who can't control the murderous impulses of his recently possessed hand. With the help of his zombiefied buddies, Mick (Seth Green, Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me) and Pnub (Elden Henson, The Mighty), Anton's got to stop the rampaging devil appendage before it takes total control of his life and ruins any chance he has with class hottie Molly (Jessica Alba, Never Been Kissed). Vivica A. Fox (Independence Day) and Jack Noseworthy (The Brady Bunch Movie) co-star in this wickedly funny horror comedy.

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:

I found this one to be a fun little comedy horror. The big plus for me has to be the fact that it is an early role for the lovely Jessica Alba. I never been a fan of the whole stoner thing so that took away from it a little for me. But I definitely found it to be worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 07:43:04 PM »
     Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (2010/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Troy Nixey
Writing:Nigel McKeand (Original Material By), Guillermo Del Toro (Screenwriter), Matthew Robbins (Screenwriter)
Length:100 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Bruce Gleeson as Buggy Driver
Edwina Ritchard as Housekeeper
Garry McDonald as Blackwood
Bailee Madison as Sally
Carolyn Shakespeare-Allen as Airport Cart Driver

Plot:
While architect Alex Hurts (Guy Pearce) and his new girlfriend Kim (Katie Holmes) restore their Gothic mansion's period interiors, Alex's young daughter Sally (Bailee Madison) can investigate the dark corners of the estate. She begins hearing raspy whispers coming from the basement and her curiosity gets the better of her. She finally opens the door to an army of beady-eyed, sharp-clawed monsters. The horror is real and she and her family are in peril. She tries to warn everyone... but no one is listening.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • BD-Live
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

Over-all I would say this one is a fairly average spook-fest. It is a decent story that could have used some polishing, as while I found it interesting enough to watch my attention was drifting on certain scenes. I also felt that most the characters wasn't very likable... though I did like the kid. It is a decent way to waste some time... but there is better out there.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 09:23:48 PM »
     The Exorcist III (1990/United States)

Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:William Peter Blatty
Writing:William Peter Blatty (Original Material By), William Peter Blatty (Screenwriter)
Length:110 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:

Stars:
George C. Scott as Kinderman
Ed Flanders as Father Dyer
Brad Dourif as The Gemini Killer
Jason Miller (1939) as Patient X
Nicol Williamson as Father Morning

Plot:
A woman crawls by unnoticed — on the ceiling like a fly. A long-dead killer claims victim after victim. Flames erupt, snakes slither, the ground opens and reveals a writhing pit of the damned. The evil is back.

Also back is the creative force whose novel and Oscar® -winning screenplay shaped the trailblazing The Exorcist. Adapting his novel Legion, William Peter Blatty writes and directs The Exorcist III, a jolting foray into terror that begins where the first film ended. George C. Scott plays police Lt. Kinderman, investigating mysterious murders. Kinderman doesn't believe in demons and possession. Not yet. Jason Miller reprises his priestly role from the original. And look for Samuel L. Jackson, pro basketball's Patrick Ewing and more bit-role surprises.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

This one is a good sequel... basically takes over where "The Exorcist" left off. This movie has a scene that I always found to be a bit on the creepy side... the scene where the little old lady crawls around the ceiling with that crazed look on her face. But not all the scenes that were meant to be creepy worked for me. One scene in particular that I can think of that just didn't work for me was the headless statue following behind the nurse with arms stretched out as if to catch her. But over-all the sequel worked well for me. Though is not one I find myself recommending to others much... as it seems this one is not to everyone's taste.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 12:02:32 AM »
     Offspring (2009/United States)

Lionsgate (United States)
Director:Andrew Van Den Houten
Writing:
Length:79 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Jessica Butler as Eartheater
Kelly Carey as Loreen Kaltsas
Holter Graham as Vic Manetti
T. J. Graye as Gloria
Stephen Grey as First Stolen

Plot:
They Hunt in Packs. They Feed on Flesh. They Prey on Innocence.
They are back with a vengeance and an insatiable appetite for human flesh. Their time has come again. Based on the acclaimed novel and adapted for the screen by best-selling author Jack Ketchum. Offspring follows the survivors of a brutal flesh-eating clan that has resurfaced in the once sleepy town of Dead River, Maine. The locals are in for a rude awakening when they realize it's the same pack that the sheriff thought he'd killed off a decade ago. Just when they thought the nightmare was over, they're about to discover that the fight for their lives has only just begun.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery

My Thoughts:

While this one is a little on the weird side... I also found it to be interesting.What could happen to a group of people if they lived away from civilization for generations. Developing their own language... only having the most basic of hand tools... living very much like cavemen. Worth the time put in to watch it... though not sure how much rewatch value it has.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 01:33:39 AM »
     Dracula (1931/United States)

Universal Studios Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Tod Browning
Writing:Bram Stoker (Original Material By), Hamilton Deane (Original Material By), John L. Balderston (Original Material By), Garrett Fort (Original Material By)
Length:74 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: Mono, French: DTS: Mono, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish, Trivia

Stars:
Bela Lugosi as Count Dracula
Helen Chandler as Mina
David Manners as John Harker
Dwight Frye as Renfield
Edward Van Sloan as Van Helsing

Plot:
The legend of vampire Count Dracula begins here with this original 1931 Dracula film from Bela Lugosi.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Alternate score by Philip Glass. Monster Track (commentary in subtitles).

My Thoughts:

This is a true horror classic and the first movie I ever watched with Bela Lugosi in it. This film is one of my favorite versions of Dracula. I think Bela Lugosi does an outstanding job in the iconic title role. Dwight Frye also did a great job as the crazed Reinfield. For me the only low part of this film has to be David Manners as Harker... I just found him to be so wooden and unappealing in the role. I would have also liked to seen this one to be a little longer. I found myself wanting more... but then I guess that is what the other films in the set are for.

Rating:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 01:35:56 AM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 03:13:34 AM »
     Dracula's Daughter (1936/United States)

Universal Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Lambert Hillyer
Writing:Garrett Fort (Screenwriter), John L. Balderston (Story By), Bram Stoker (Original Material By)
Length:71 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: Mono
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Otto Kruger as Jeffrey Garth
Gloria Holden as Countess Marya Zaleska
Marguerite Churchill as Janet
Edward Van Sloan as Professor Von Helsing
Gilbert Emery as Sir Basil Humphrey

Plot:
Countess Marya Zaleska seeks the help of a noted psychiatrist to free herself of her father's evil influence.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:

This is a good addition to the Dracula franchise. It is not as menacing as Dracula. But it does keep your attention with ease. Worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 06:51:41 PM »
     13 Ghosts (1960/United States)
Mill Creek Entertainment, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:William Castle
Writing:Robb White (Writer)
Length:85 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: Mono
Subtitles:

Stars:
Charles Herbert as Buck Zorba
Jo Morrow as Medea Zorba
Martin Milner as Ben Rush
Rosemary De Camp as Hilda Zorba
Donald Woods as Cyrus Zorba

Plot:
When an eccentric uncle wills a huge, ramshackle house to his impoverished family, they get the shock of a lifetime. Their new residence comes complete with a spooky housekeeper, plus a fortune in buried treasure and 12 horrifying ghosts.

Extras:

My Thoughts:

This is one I find to be a little more on the silly side then actually frightening. But I believe that is what William Castle was going for. A silly, spooky story. Though obviously the spookiness does not hold up in today's day and age. But it still makes for an enjoyable viewing experience. I would say it is definitely worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 09:26:12 PM »
     Vampire Circus: The Hammer Horror Collection (1972/United Kingdom)
Synapse Films, ITV Global Entertainment, Carlton Film Distributors (United States)
Director:Robert Young
Writing:Judson Kinberg (Screenwriter)
Length:87 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.66:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Music Only: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:

Stars:
Bradforts-Amaros
Adrienne Corri as Gypsy Woman
Thorley Walters as Burgermeister
Anthony Higgins [Anthony Corlan] as Emil
John Moulder-Brown as Anton

Plot:
A little girl is brutally slain by a vampire in a tiny 19th century Austrian village. Seeking revenge, the townspeople invade the foreboding castle of Count Mitterhaus and kill him for the crime. As the Count dies, he curses the villagers and vows that their children will all die so that he may someday return to life. Fifteen years later, as the village is ravaged by the plague, a traveling circus comes to town and distracts the villagers from their current hardships. Little do they know that their troubles are only beginning! The circus is actually a troupe of shape-shifting vampires and, as the local children start disappearing, they realize the prophecy of the long dead Count is coming true. Synapse Films is proud to present VAMPIRE CIRCUS, now available for the first time on home video in glorious 1080p high-definition and loaded with amazing extras you can really sink your teeth into!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery

My Thoughts:

I never had much experience with Hammer films in the past. And what little experience I did have wasn't that great. But I think I was just unlucky enough to see the wrong ones as I found this film to be much better then the previous ones I have seen. The story was good and I liked how they did the vampires. This film has given me hope there is other Hammer films out there for me.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2017, 01:17:35 AM »
     Descendents (2008/Chile)
Lionsgate Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Jorge Olguin
Writing:Carolina Garcia (Writer), Jorge Olguin (Writer)
Length:74 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Camille Lynch as Camille
Karina Pizarro as Camille's Mom
Carolina Andrade as 4 Year Old Girl
Cristobal Barra as 6 Year Old Boy
Rosa Luz Ramos as Wounded Woman

Plot:
In an unknown future, the earth has been destroyed by man and the air is polluted with a mysterious virus that turns humans into zombies, and only a few children are immune to the disease. Young Camille wanders through these desolate wastelands, protecting herself from zombies and armed military forces that roam the land killing anyone in sight. As she makes her escape, she will do whatever it takes to survive and be among other Descendents.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

This one disappointed me a little. While it has a good premise the follow through just wasn't there. It has a couple good scenes. But for the most part I found myself easily distracted. The film has a slow pace... which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it has to have a good story to back it up. Unfortunately this one did not do it for me. The film is only an hour and 14 minutes... and I found myself watching the clock on it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2017, 03:34:07 AM »
     The Fog: Collector's Edition (1980/United States)
IMDb |Trailer |
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, Shout! Factory (United States)
Director:John Carpenter (1948)
Writing:John Carpenter (1948) (Writer), Debra Hill (Writer)
Length:90 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Adrienne Barbeau as Stevie Wayne
Jamie Lee Curtis as Elizabeth Solley
Janet Leigh as Kathy Williams
John Houseman as Mr. Machen
Tom Atkins as Nick Castle

Plot:
When the fog rolls in...the terror begins! This moody horror classic from master of terror John Carpenter (The Thing) and producer Debra Hill (Escape From New York) stars Adrienne Barbeau (Swamp Thing), Jamie Lee Curtis (Halloween), Tom Atkins (Halloween III: Season Of The Witch), Hal Holbrook (Creepshow) and Janet Leigh (Psycho). Don't get lost in the fog...

The sleepy seaside village of Antonio Bay is about to learn the true meaning of the word "vengeance." This seemingly perfect town masks a guilty secret...a past steeped in greed and murder. Exactly 100 years ago, a ship was horribly wrecked under mysterious circumstances in a thick, eerie fog. Now, shrouded in darkness, the long-dead mariners have returned from their watery grave to exact a bloody revenge.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Interviews
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Reversible Cover Art

My Thoughts:

This one here is one of my favorite classic '80s horror. Loved the cast... loved the story line. This film is definitely worth the time put in to watch it. If you never seen this one... I highly recommend it. Just be sure you get the 1980 original... and not the remake or you will be disappointed. This is one case that not only is the original better.... it is MUCH better.

Rating:
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2017, 06:34:37 PM »

It
Year of Release: 2017
Directed By: Andy Muschietti
Starring: Jaeden Lieberher, Bill Skarsgård, Jeremy Ray Taylor, Sophia Lillis, Finn Wolfhard, Jack Dylan Grazer
Genre: Horror

Overview:
In a small town in Maine, seven children known as The Losers Club come face to face with life problems, bullies and a monster that takes the shape of a clown called Pennywise.

My Thoughts:
I was really glad to see that all the good reviews I'd been hearing weren't inaccurate.  This was really good.  The atmosphere permeates the film.  This is a town living in dread.  Even in the quiet moments, the moments where our heroes get to just be kids and be friends, still has the feeling lurking in the background.  The inescapable reality that children are vanishing and something/someone is taking them.  The knowledge that it could be any one of them.

I was really impressed by all the performances by the kids.  All of them created unique characters who were likable and believable.  I was really impressed by how the filmmakers handled telling the viewer about their home life.  Yes, you spent more time with some of them than others, but you got a sense about each of them from little scenes and moments.  Interactions between the kid and their parent told you everything you needed to know about the relationship between them. 

Bill Skarsgård's performance as Pennywise is also memorable.  I haven't seen the original film, so I'm not comparing him to Tim Curry.  Who knows how I'll feel once I have seen that interpretation.  (I have read the book, though it was a long time ago.)

Overall, well recommended.  Good pacing, good mix of action, jump scares and creepy atmosphere.  Great performances.  Any fan of horror should enjoy this.

Bechdel Test: Fail

Overall: 4/5
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2017, 06:43:01 PM »

The Most Dangerous Game
Year of Release: 1932
Directed By: Ernest B. Schoedsack, Irving Pichel
Starring: Joel McCrea, Fay Wray, Robert Armstrong, Leslie Banks
Genre: Suspense/Thriller, Horror

Overview:
"One of the best and most literate movies from the great days of horror," The Most Dangerous Game stars Leslie Banks as a big game hunter with a taste for the world's most exotic prey—his houseguests, played by Fay Wray and Joel McCrea. Before making history with 1933's King Kong, filmmakers Merian C. Cooper and Ernest B. Schoedsack wowed audiences with their chilling adaptation of this Richard Connell short story. Criterion is proud to present the DVD premiere of The Most Dangerous Game in a new digital transfer.

My Thoughts:

The OG of human-hunting films.  Short and pretty fast paced.  Really doesn't waste any time getting you into the action.  Leslie Banks plays Zaroff suitably suave and creepy, and Joel McCrea's Rainsford is exactly what you'd expect in a pulp hero of the time.  Fay Wray's Eve is a wimpy character, but at least her screams are sometimes useful. 

What impressed me most was the production design.  If this was filmed in studio (as it likely was), they went all out in designing the jungle for the hunt.  It was really well done and for a film of its age, really believable.  Overall, very solid adventure-horror, recommended.

Bechdel Test: Fail

Overall: 3/5
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 06:50:03 PM by Danae Cassandra »
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield