Author Topic: Favorite Movies (Danae)  (Read 4397 times)

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Favorite Movies (Danae)
« on: October 21, 2016, 03:04:00 PM »
I thought I'd emulate Gunnar and get in on taking Yves challenge as well. 

Horror

Had some issues narrowing this down, but I'm happy with the list.  I decided not to include anything animated here, otherwise we'd have quite the stop-motion heavy list.  These are in no particular order.

Honorable mentions:  Eyes Without a Face, Suicide Club, The Hunger, Masque of the Red Death, and Kwaidan

Crimson Peak
| Year: 2015 | 119 min. | United States

When her heart is stolen by a seductive stranger, a young woman is swept away to a house atop a mountain of blood-red clay – a place filled with secrets that will haunt her forever. Between desire and darkness, between mystery and madness, lies the truth behind Crimson Peak.

From the imagination of director Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth) comes a gothic romance masterpiece starring Tom Hiddleston, Jessica Chastain, Mia Wasikowska and Charlie Hunnam.

The Wicker Man
| Year: 1973 | 94 min. | United Kingdom

When a young girl mysteriously vanishes, Police Sergeant Howie (Edward Woodward) travels to a remote Scottish island to investigate. But the seemingly quiet community is not as it appears, as the detective uncovers a secretive pagan society led by the strange Lord Summerisle (Christopher Lee). While the townsfolk tempt and threaten him with bizarre rituals and wanton lust, Howie must race to discover the truth behind the girl’s disappearance before his clash with Lord Summerisle builds to a terrifying conclusion – one that has cemented this cult shocker as a modern horror masterpiece.

The Dead Zone
| Year: 1983 | 104 min. | United States

CHRISTOPHER WALKEN (Wedding Crashers) leads an all-star cast, including TOM SKERRIT and MARTIN SHEEN, in a thriller that's ahead of it's time. School teacher Johnny Smith (Walken) had a beautiful fiancée, rewarding career and a fortunate life. Until one tragic accident changed everything. After slamming into an 18-wheeler, Johnny is plunged into a five-year coma. When he awakens, he find his true collision was with destiny — he now has the remarkable gift (or curse) of seeing into the future. From horror master STEPHEN KING and director DAVID CRONENBERG, this supernatural thriller turns an everyday guy into a reluctant hero...saving children in danger, helping the police and capturing serial killers. But Johnny's next vision may be his most terrifying yet, and gives him a once-in-a-lifetime chance to save the world... at what may be the ultimate price.

Kuroneko
| Year: 1968 | 99 min. | Japan

In this poetic and atmospheric horror fable, set in a village in war-torn feudal Japan, malevolent spirits are ripping out the throats of itinerant samurai. When a military hero is dispatched to confront the unseen force, he finds that he must struggle with personal demons as well. From Kaneto Shindo, director of the similarly terrifying Onibaba, Kuroneko (a.k.a. Black Cat) is a spectacularly eerie twilight tale, with a shocking feminist angle, evoked through ghostly special effects and exquisite cinematography.

Don't Look Now
| Year: 1973 | 110 min. | United Kingdom

Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie mesmerize as a British married couple on an extended trip to Venice following a family tragedy. While in that elegantly decaying city, they have a series of inexplicable, terrifying, and increasingly dangerous experiences. A masterpiece from Nicolas Roeg, Don’t Look Now, adapted from a story by Daphne du Maurier, is a brilliantly disturbing tale of the supernatural, as renowned for its innovative editing and haunting cinematography as its naturalistic eroticism and unforgettable climax and denouement, one of the great endings in horror history.

The Iron Rose
| Year: 1973 | 80 min. | France

THE IRON ROSE is a haunting experience—a macabre tone poem about youth and age, love and nihilism, nostalgia and superstition, and, above all, life and death. Francoise Pascal (There's a Girl in My Soup) and Hugues Quester (Three Colors: Blue) go on a metaphysical, Orpheus-like journey inside an ancient, all-but-abandoned graveyard but, as night falls, they cannot find their way out. As Quester's nihilism crumbles to impatience and terror, Pascal transfers her disappointed passion for him to the cemetery itself and becomes jubilantly (and dangerously) attuned to its dead. Pascal gives a remarkably intuitive performance, at times so spontaneous in spirit, one cannot imagine how parts of it were ever scripted.

The cemetery itself is analogous to Rollin's love for all things antiquarian, including the old train station and the nearly moribund city of Amiens. If Orson Welles was correct when he estimated that a film could only be considered good to the extent it represented the artist who made it, THE IRON ROSE is Jean Rollin's first authentic masterpiece.

Interview With the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles
| Year: 1994 | 123 min. | United States

The undead are among us and livelier than ever when Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt and a talented group of youngbloods star in this spellbinding screen adaptation of Anne Rice's bestseller.

Cruise stylishly plays the supremely evil and charismatic vampire Lestat. Pitt is Louis, lured by Lestat into the immortality of the damned. Stephen Rea, Antonio Banderas, Christian Slater and Kirsten Dunst co-star. Hypnotically directed by Neil Jordan from a screenplay by Rice, Interview with the Vampire offers enough thrills, shocks and fiendish fun to last a lifetime - and beyond.

Battle Royale
| Year: 2000 | 122 min. | Japan

In the near future, the economy has collapsed, unemployment has soared and juvenile crime has exploded. Fearful of their nation's youth, the Japanese government passes The BR Law: Each year, a 9th grade class is sent to a remote island where they will be locked into exploding neck collars, given a random weapon, and forced to hunt and kill each other until there is only one survivor left. Chiaki Kuriyama (Kill Bill) and screen legend Takeshi Kitano (Boiling Point, Brother) star in this movie that has been argued, acclaimed and banned around the world. More than a decade later, it remains one of the most savage, shocking and emotionally powerful films of all time. Now experience Kinji Fukasaku's uncompromising masterpiece - nominated for 10 Japanese Academy Awards - available uncensored and unrated for the first time ever in North America.

The Tomb of Ligeia
| Year: 1964 | 83 min. | United Kingdom

Roger Corman and Vincent Price hook up for horror in Edgar Allan Poe's "most terrifying" (L.A. Herald Examiner) tale of passion, possession and PURR-fect evil! When a dead wife sinks her claws into immortality – and comes back as a ferocious feline – she leads her husband's (Price) new bride on a deadly game of cat and mouse. And when the fur starts flying, she soon learns that even in death...she can land on her feet!

The Fall of the House of Usher
| Year: 1960 | 82 min. | United States

Legendary scare-master Vincent Price serves up a diabolical nightmare dripping with "brooding evil and sinister suspense" (Film Daily)! Based on Edgar Allen Poe's chilling tale about a family driven to savage bloodlust by a power beyond their wildest fears, this terrifying story of "murder, madness and necrophilia" (Cue) proves that there's no place like home...for horror! Convinced that his family's blood is tainted by generations of evil, Roderick Usher (Price) is hell-bent on destroying his sister Madeline's wedding. But when Madeline's fiancé arrives at the haunted castle to claim his lovely bride, he soon discovers that, for this family, their house is more than just a home...it's their TOMB!
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Movies (Danae)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 03:45:34 PM »
Some interesting choices there, Danae. I like Vincent Price a lot, and he certainly elevates those Peo stories. I haven't seen Crimson Peak, but now I'm a bit intrigued. I'm torn when it comes to Guillermo del Toro.  I loved Pan's Labyrinth but I hated Pacific Rim. But it looks like this is more in the style of the former, so I guess I might take a chance on it.

Interview with the Vampire is another of those titles that has lingered in my unwatched pile for quite a while. Perhaps time to dig it up now.

I don't own The Dead Zone, but I saw it in the cinema back in the eighties. I'm not really a Stephen King fan, even though I have liked some of the movies based on his work.

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 06:26:28 PM »
My biggest problem might have been narrowing down to only two Price films.  I love him.

The Dead Zone is one of those films I saw at a point in my life that really stuck with me.  I wrote a fanfic for that film back when I was in high school. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 06:50:15 PM by Danae Cassandra »
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 02:18:21 PM »
Fantasy

I'm deliberately not including any animation here.  I count the three Lord of the Rings films as a single film, thus I leave them here.  Honorable mention:  Cats.  I'd have actually included it instead of something on this list, but since it's filmed stage I'm not exactly sure it counts as a 'movie.'

LotR is one of my top 5 favorite films of all time, so it's definitely on top.

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy
| Year: 2001 | 0 min. | United States

All 3 Extended Versions in Dazzling 1080p and DTS-HD MA 6.1 Audio.
Deluxe 15-Disc Set Includes 9 Special Features DVDs with over 26 Hours of Spellbinding Behind-the-Moviemaking Material, Including the Rare Costa Botes Documentaries.

Everything else is in no particular order.

The Princess Bride
| Year: 1987 | 98 min. | United States

The Princess Bride is now even more enchanting on Blu-ray! With seven featurettes and the all-new True Love and High Adventure interactive game, this "dream of a movie" (People) is now a fantastical Blu-ray experience! "Wonderfully inventive and uplifting" (Los Angeles Times), this tongue-in-cheek fairy tale follows two star-crossed lovers as they encounter formidable odds and outrageously colorful characters! Starring Robin Wright, Cary Elwes and comic geniuses Billy Crystal and Christopher Guest, this film is "pure Hollywood magic" (L.A. Weekly)!

Beauty and the Beast
| Year: 1946 | 93 min. | France

Once upon a time, in a world of magic and wonder, the true love of a beautiful girl may finally dispel the torment of a feral but gentle-hearted beast. Beauty and the Beast (La Belle et la Bête) is a landmark feat of cinematic fantasy in which master filmmaker Jean Cocteau conjures spectacular visions of enchantment, desire, and death that have never been equaled. The Criterion Collection proudly presents the original film version of Mme. Leprince de Beaumont's fairy-tale masterpiece in a newly restored spectacular new special edition.

The Dark Crystal
| Year: 1982 | 93 min. | United Kingdom

Enjoy incredible footage from the Henson archives in THE DARK CRYSTAL. Travel back in time to the faraway planet of Thra. Cheer on the Mystics as they fight to overthrow the evil Skeksis and take back control of their planet! When Jen, a member of the Gelfling tribe, sets out to find the crystal's missing shard, his dangerous journey brings him face to face with monsters at every turn. Determined to restore peace to their planet, Jen will not back down! From the brilliant imagination of Jim Henson, this masterpiece of animation recounts the timeless tale of good vs. evil and has become a cult favorite of children and grown-ups alike!

Labyrinth
| Year: 1986 | 101 min. | United States

Journey into the fantastical world of Labyrinth, starring David Bowie and a cast of incredible creatures created by Jim Henson. Frustrated with babysitting on yet another weekend night, Sarah (Jennifer Connelly), a teenager with an active imagination, summons the Goblins from her favorite book, "Labyrinth", to take her baby stepbrother away. When little Toby actually disappears, Sarah must follow him into the world of the fairy tale to rescue him from the wicked Goblin King (Bowie)! Guarding his castle is the labyrinth itself, a twisted maze of deception, populated with outrageous characters and unknown dangers. To get through it in time to save Toby, Sarah will have to outwit the King by befriending the very Goblins who protect him, in hopes that their loyalty isn't just another illusion in a place where nothing is as it seems!

Wings of Desire
| Year: 1987 | 128 min. | Germany

Wings of Desire is one of cinema's loveliest city symphonies. Bruno Ganz is Damiel, an angel perched atop buildings high over Berlin who can hear the thoughts—fears, hopes, and dreams—of all the people living below. But when he falls in love with a beautiful trapeze artist, he is willing to give up his immortality to come back to earth to be with her. Made not long before the fall of the Berlin Wall, this stunning tapestry of sounds and images, shot in black and white and color by the legendary Henri Alekan, is movie poetry. And it forever made the name Wim Wenders synonymous with film art.

The Wizard of Oz
| Year: 1939 | 102 min. | United States

3-Disc Edition of the Most Magical Movie in Hollywood History with Refreshed 1080p Picture Clarity and Revitalized Dolby TrueHD Audio Fidelity.

The Neverending Story
| Year: 1984 | 94 min. | Germany

When young Bastian borrows a mysterious ornately bound book, he never dreams turning a page would draw him into a shimmering fantasy world of racing snails, hang-glider bats, soaring luckdragons, puckish elves, a Childlike Empress, the brave warrior Atreyu and a slab-faced walking quarry called a Rock Biter.

Follow The NeverEnding Story to the limits of the imagination, thanks to director/co-writer Wolfgang Petersen (The Perfect Storm) and a superstar team of technical tinkerers and magicians (with credits including 2001: A Space Odyssey, Alien and The Empire Strikes Back) who bring to life the most delightful characters ever. You'll cherish this wide-eyed adventure and discover The NeverEnding Story is your story.

Excalibur
| Year: 1981 | 141 min. | United States

The legend of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table receives its most impressive screen treatment in Excalibur, from visionary director John Boorman (Deliverance, Hope and Glory). All the elements of Sir Thomas Malory's classic Le Morte Darthur are here: Arthur (Nigel Terry) removing the sword Excalibur from the stone; the Round Table's noble birth and tragic decline; the heroic attempts to recover the Holy Grail; and the shifting balance of power between wily wizard Merlin (Nicol Williamson) and evil sorceress Morgana (Helen Mirren). With Patrick Stewart, Gabriel Byrne and Liam Neeson in notable early screen roles, Excalibur serves up, as The New Yorker's Pauline Kael wrote, "one lush, enraptured scene after another."

Camelot
| Year: 1967 | 180 min. | United States

THE LEGEND OF KING ARTHUR has enchanted generations.  His pure, perfect kingdom was shattered because of the tragic passion between Queen Guenevere and the Round Table’s  bravest knight, Lancelot.  Alan Jay Lerner and Frederick Loewe shaped that saga into the 1960 musical Camelot.  Seven years later, the stage hit became a triple Academy Award® winner* with glowing performances by Richard Harris, Vanessa Redgrave, and Franco Nero and a glittering score.  Experience anew the melodic romance of “one brief, shining moment” known as Camelot.

*1967 Best Adaptation Scoring, Art Direction - Set Decoration and Costume Design
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 10:22:15 PM »
Animation

This was a hard list to make.  You'll notice there is no anime here - it will have it's own list.  :)  These are in no particular order.  Honorable mentions:  The Triplets of Belleville, Despicable Me, Fantasia, Fantasia 2000.

The Last Unicorn
| Year: 1982 | 93 min. | United States

In this whimsical, animated film, a lone unicorn seeks out others like herself through a mystical land of talking cats and spellbinding magicians. Based on the book by Peter S. Beagle, this story has enamored the hearts of fans – young and old – from around the globe.

In her search for other unicorns, the last unicorn encounters a cast of delightful characters as well as dangers she never imagined. Throughout the fantastic adventure, she learns of friendship, love and most importantly her true self.

Discover the magic that has kept this tale a treasured classic. Featuring the voices of Jeff Bridges, Mia Farrow and Angela Lansbury, the story brings forth the power of friendship, the beauty of love and the pain of regret. Interlaced with songs and ethereal imagery, The Last Unicorn will reignite the hearts of its fans and entrance all who enter.

Corpse Bride
| Year: 2005 | 77 min. | United States

An Academy Award® nominee and National Board of Review Award winner as 2005's Best Animated Feature, Tim Burton's Corpse Bride carries on in the dark, romantic tradition of his classic Edward Scissorhands and Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Set in a 19th-century European village, this stop-motion animated feature follows the story of Victor (voiced by Johnny Depp), a young man whisked away to the underworld and wed to a mysterious Corpse Bride (voiced by Helena Bonham Carter), while his real bride Victoria (voiced by Emily Watson) waits bereft in the land of the living. Though life in the Land of the Dead proves to be a lot more colorful than his strict upbringing, Victor learns that there is nothing in this world – or the next – that can keep him away from his one true love. It's a tale of optimism, romance and a very lively afterlife, told in classic Burton style.

Song of the Sea
| Year: 2014 | 94 min. | Ireland

From the creators of the Academy Award®-nominated The Secret of Kells comes a breathtakingly gorgeus, hand-drawn masterpiece. Based on the Irish legend of the Selkies, Song of the Sea tells the story of the last seal-child, Saoirse, and her brother Ben, who go on an epic journey to save the world of magic and discover secrets of their past. Pursued by the owl witch, Macha, and a host of ancient and mythical creaturrs, Saoirse and Ben race against time to awaken Saoirse's powers and keep the spirit world from disappearing forever. As enthralling for adults as for children young and old, Song of the Sea is a wonder of magical storytelling and visual spendor that is destined to become a classic.

| Year: 2009 | 79 min. | United States

From visionary filmmakers Tim Burton (The Nightmare Before Christmas) and Timur Bekmambetov (Wanted) and Academy Award®-nominated director Shane Acker° comes this visually stunning and original epic adventure. In the final days of humanity, a dedicated scientist gives the spark of life to nine of his creations. The world has turned into an unrecognizable landscape of machines and spare parts, but this group of nine finds that if they band together, their small community might just be able to change the course of history. Featuring the voice talents of Elijah Wood, John C. Reilly, Jennifer Connelly and Crispin Glover, it's a thrilling, suspenseful story critics call "Spellbinding!" (Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times)

°2005, Best Short Film (Animated) – 9

Coraline
| Year: 2009 | 101 min. | United States

From the director of The Nightmare Before Christmas comes a visually stunning stop-motion animated feature – the first to be originally filmed in 3-D! Discover how the filmmakers and artisans created the magical handmade world of Coraline, exclusively in this 2-Disc Collector's Edition!

Coraline Jones is bored in her new home until she finds a secret door that leads her into a world that's just like her own...but better! But when this fantastical adventure turns dangerous and her "other" Mother tries to keep her forever, Coraline must count on her resourcefulness and bravery to get home. Coraline is a "visual marvel" (Claudia Puig, USA Today).

The Secret of Kells
| Year: 2009 | 75 min. | Ireland

Magic, fantasy and Celtic mythology come together in a riot of color and detail that dazzle the eyes in a sweeping story about the power of imagination and faith to carry humanity through dark times.

In a remote medieval outpost of Ireland, young Brendan embarks on a new life of adventure when a celebrated master illuminator arrives from foreign lands carrying a book brimming with secret wisdom and powers. To help complete the magical book, Brendan has to overcome his deepest fears on a dangerous quest that takes him into the enchanted forest where mythical creatures hide. It is here that he meets the fairy Aisling, a mysterious young wolf-girl, who helps him along the way. But with the barbarians closing in, will Brendan's determination and artistic vision illuminate the darkness and show that enlightenment is the best fortification against evil?

The Nightmare Before Christmas
| Year: 1993 | 77 min. | United States

Now digitally restored and remastered with state-of-the-art technology, The Nightmare Before Christmas Collector's Edition is deeper, darker and more brilliant than ever – just as Tim Burton originally envisioned it – on Blu-ray Disc™!

Bored with the same old scare-and-scream routine, Pumpkin King Jack Skellington longs to spread the joy of Christmas. But his merry mission puts Santa in jeopardy and creates a nightmare for good little boys and girls everywhere!

Hear the genius of Danny Elfman's sensational music in 7.1 Surround Sound as the fantastic talents and imaginations of Tim Burton and Henry Selick come to life in stunning Hi-Def. The Nightmare Before Christmas – now even more eerie and extraordinary on Blu-ray™ High Definition!

WALL-E
| Year: 2008 | 98 min. | United States

The highly acclaimed director of Finding Nemo and the creative storytellers behind Cars and Ratatouille transport you to a galaxy not so far away for a new cosmic comedy adventure about a determined robot named WALL•E. Experience the exciting animated hit film with theater-quality sound and the most pristine picture available on Disney Blu-ray Disc.

After hundreds of lonely years of doing what he was built for, the curious and lovable WALL•E discovers a new purpose in life when he meets a sleek search robot named EVE. Join them and a hilarious cast of characters on a fantastic journey across the universe.

Transport yourself to a fascinating new world with Disney•Pixar's latest adventure – unsurpassed on Blu-ray Hi-Def. Loaded with bonus features, including the all-new animated short "BURN•E," this 2-disc set overflows with fun for the entire family.

Brave
| Year: 2012 | 94 min. | United States

Pixar Animation Studios, the creator of Toy Story 3, whisks you away on an astonishing adventure to an ancient land full of mystery and tradition. Bursting with heart, unforgettable characters and Pixar's signature humor, Brave is "a rousing, gorgeously animated good time," raves Peter Travers of Rolling Stone.

Take a heroic journey with Merida, a skilled archer and headstrong daughter of King Fergus and Queen Elinor. Determined to carve her own path in life, Merida defies an age-old custom sacred to the unruly and uproarious lords of the land. when Merida's actions inadvertently unleash chaos in the kingdom, she must harness all of her skills and resources – including her clever and mischievous triplet brothers – to undo a beastly curse before it's too late, and discover the meaning of true bravery. It's legendary on Disney Blu-ray Combo Pack with never-before-seen bonus features!

Sita Sings the Blues
| Year: 2008 | 82 min. | United States

Utilizing a dazzling array of animation and narrative styles, Sita Sings the Blues incorporates Ramayana art traditions from Mughal paintings to Indonesian shadow puppets, temple sculptures to comic books.  Sita enacts her story in a series of Busby-Berkley-esque dance numbers set to American blues and torch songs by 1920's vocalist Annette Hanshaw.  Fabulous Indian fusion music rounds out the eclectic score, while a hilarious trio of unscripted shadow puppets provide narration and commentary.

Whether encountering the Ramayana for the first time or revisiting a familiar cultural icon, audiences are fascinated, enterained and moved by Sita Sings the Blues, "The Greatest Break-Up Story Ever Told".
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 01:46:47 PM »
Anime

This was hard to narrow down to ten!  Fireflies is my absolute favorite film, so it naturally comes first.  Honorable mentions:  Millennium Actress, From Up on Poppy Hill, Howl's Moving Castle, Paprika, Spirited Away, 5 Centimeters Per Second.

Grave of the Fireflies
| Year: 1988 | 90 min. | Japan

As the Empire of the Sun crumbles upon itself and a rain of firebombs falls upon Japan, the final death march of a nation is echoed in millions of smaller tragedies. This is the story of Seita and his younger sister Setsuko, two children born at the wrong time, in the wrong place, and now cast adrift in a world that lacks not the care to shelter them, but simply the resources. Forced to fend for themselves in the aftermath of fires that swept entire cities from the face of the earth, their doomed struggle is both a tribute to the human spirit and the stuff of nightmares. Beautiful, yet at times brutal and horrifying.

Based on the retellings of survivor Nosaka Akiyuki and directed by Iaso Takahata (co-founder, with Hayao Miyazaki, of Japan's legendary Studio Ghibli,) GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES has been universally hailed as an artistic and emotional tour de force. Now digitally remastered and restored, it is one of the rare films that truly deserves to be called a masterpiece.

The rest are in no particular order.

Ghost in the Shell
| Year: 1995 | 82 min. | Japan

2029 - A female cybernetic government agent, Major Motoko Kusanagi, and the Internal Bureau of Investigations are hot on the trail of "The Puppet Master", a mysterious and threatening computer virus capable of infiltrating human hosts. Together, with her fellow agents from Section 9, they embark on a high-tech race against time to capture the omnipresent entity.

Ghost in the Shell took the world by storm, exhibiting a new dimension of anime with unprecedented, mesmerizing cinamatic expression. Seamlessly merging traditional cel animation with the latest computer graphic imagery, this stunning sci-fi spectacle challenged the boundaries of mainstream animation with detailed artistic expression and a uniquely intelligent story line.

Veteran director Mamoru Oshii skillfully creates the ultimate experience in this futuristic masterpiece based on the ground-breaking comic book by Masamune Shirow. A movie that questions human existence in the fast-paced world of the information age, this award-winning, cyber-tech thriller has established itself as one of the leading Japanese animation films of all time.

The Wings of Honneamise
| Year: 1987 | 121 min. | Japan

An epic tale of a civilizations first faltering steps into space, set in an alien world that is strangely familiar to our own. When cadet Shiro Lhadatt signs up with the Royal Space Force, he encounters ridicule and apathy from manipulative leaders and a cynical public. A chance encounter with a devout young woman spurs Shiro on towards his destiny - to become the first man in space. While military leaders conspire to turn the space program to spark an all-out war, Shiro and a team of aging scientists race against time to complete the first launch. The countdown has begun in a spectacular feast for the senses. Breathtaking animation, sumptuous design and a great vision combine to ensure that Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise will become a classic in the animé hall of fame.

Perfect Blue
| Year: 1997 | 81 min. | Japan

Pop singer Mima Kirigoe looks forward to a bright new career when she quits her chart-topping trio to become an actress. When she lands a role in a sexually-charged murder mystery, Mima's life begins to fall apart. Reality and hallucinations merge into a terrifying netherworld where innocence is lost and dreams become nightmares.

Quickly descending into a dangerous state of paranoid delusions, Mima watches as Internet sites describing every intimate detail of her life. Helpless and afraid, she watches as her associates are threatened and killed by a mysterious stalker.

In the tradition of great suspense masters, director Satoshi Kon (Memories), special advisor Katsuhiro Otomo (Akira) and Madhouse Studios (Ninja Scroll), bring Yoshikazu Takeuchi's thrilling suspense novel to the screen, in a tour-de-force that brings animation to a bold new level.

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
| Year: 1998 | 102 min. | Japan

Set in an alternate history of Japan - Constable Fuse is part of an elite Special Forces team whose mission is to maintain peace during a time of civil unrest. Entangled within a web of intrigue and politics, his decisions will determine the ultimate fate of the Capital Police and those dearest to him...

Akira
| Year: 1988 | 124 min. | Japan

NEO TOKYO IS ABOUT TO EXPLODE
Akira
isn't just a movie - it's the genesis of a genre. Katsuhiro Otomo's landmark cyberpunk classic obliterated the boundaries of feature-length animation and forced the world to look into the future. Akira's arrival shattered traditional thinking, creating space for movies like The Matrix to be dreamed into brutal reality. Without Kaneda and Tetsuo, without espers and psionic assassins, without that iconic motorcycle - our work would be far less exciting place to exist. But the graphic novel became the movie and the movie became a phenomenon and the world took notice. Now, Akira is everywhere. If you can't see it in the streets - if you can't feel it crawling around inside your brain - then you have yet to be initiated. What are you waiting for?

Night on the Galactic Railroad
| Year: 1985 | 108 min. | Japan

Once upon a time, there was a young boy named Giovanni, whose life was filled with hardship. He toiled late into the night, caring for his ill mother, and he was scorned by the other children. But Giovanni's life is about to change. As he gazes into the starry sky, a mysterious galactic train appears! Giovanni is about to embark on a magical adventure through the Milky Way!

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
| Year: 1984 | 118 min. | Japan

For the first time ever, the magic of Blu-ray™ high definition reveals the exquisite details in Hayao Miyazaki's epic masterpiece, Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind. Experience the film that launched the Academy Award®-winning career (2002: Best Animated Feature, Spirited Away) of one of the most celebrated filmmakers in the history of animation!

After a global war, the seaside kingdom know as Valley Of The Wind remains one of the last strongholds on Earth untouched by a poisonous jungle and the powerful insects that guard it. Led by the courageous Princess Nausicaä, the people of the Valley engage in an epic struggle to restore the bond between humanity and Earth.

Like Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away and Ponyo, Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind will dazzle your senses with its imagined storytelling and stunning animation–now more spectacular then ever on Blu-ray!

My Neighbor Totoro
| Year: 1988 | 86 min. | Japan

Disney presents a Studio Ghibli film about the magic of friendship and sisterhood from Academy Award®-winning director Hayao Miyazaki (Best Animated Feature, 2002, Spirited Away). And now, it is available for the first time on Disney Blu-ray, with a new HD digital transfer and perfect picture and sound!

Follow the adventures of Satsuki and her four-year-old sister Mei as they discover their new neighbor is a mysterious forest spirit named Totoro who can only be seen by the eyes of a child. As Totoro introduces the girls to his extraordinary friends, they embark on the journey of a lifetime. Featuring the voice talents of Tim Daly, Lea Salonga and real-life sisters Dakota and Elle Fanning, My Neighbor Totoro is an amazing animated adventure the whole family will fall in love with.

Princess Mononoke
| Year: 1997 | 134 min. | Japan

Witness the majesty of celebrated animated film director Hayao Miyazaki's masterpiece, Princess Mononoke, for the first time ever on Blu-ray High Definition. This exquisitely animated, critically acclaimed adventure from one of the most illustrious filmmakers of all time is now even more spectacular with dazzling HD picture and sound!

Inflicted with a deadly curse, a young warrior named Ashitaka sets out to the forests of the west in search of the cure that will save his life. Once there, he becomes inextricably entangled in a bitter battle that matches Lady Eboshi and a proud clan of humans against the forest's animal gods...who are led by the brave Princess Mononoke, a young woman raised by wolves. This monumental struggle between man and nature will have you transfixed as stunning artistry blends with epic storytelling to create a uniquely entertaining motion picture. Experience it like never before on Disney Blu-ray!
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline surfeur51

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 03:33:52 PM »
Just a question. What is the difference you make between Animation and Anime ?
Except the conutry of origin, I saw no difference in your two lists concerning the type of movie (both of them have movies I love...)

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 08:23:00 PM »
Anime is specifically Japanese animation.  Anime has stylistic and artistic differences and often a more adult audience than animation from other countries.  But, yes, the primary difference is country of origin.

I needed two lists because otherwise anime would dominate the list. 
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline surfeur51

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 09:37:12 PM »
Anime is specifically Japanese animation.
I see... In my country we do not really make this type of distinction for animated movies, but we differentiate "drawings movies" (as Cinderella or Princess Mononoke) and "computer graphics movies", (as Tangled or Cars). The first ones are called in French "dessins animés" and the second ones "films en images de synthèse".
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 07:50:57 PM by surfeur51 »

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 06:30:54 AM »
Nostalgic Favorites

Or, in other words, movies that were favorites of mine when I was a kid.  Transformers was my absolute favorite as a middle-schooler, but I wanted to be Indy when I grew up.

Transformers: The Movie
| Year: 1986 | 85 min. | United States

A war has been waging on the planet Cybertron for millennia.

The Autobots, led by the heroic Optimus Prime, prepare to make a daring attempt to retake their planet from the evil forces of Megatron and the Decepticons. Unknown to both sides, a menacing force is heading their way - Unicron, a planet that devours everything in its path. The only hope of stopping Unicron lies within the Matrix of Leadership and the Autobot who can rise up and use its power to light their darkest hour. Will the Autobots be able to save their homeworld from destruction or will the Decepticons reign supreme?

The all-star cast of voice talent includes Peter Cullen, Frank Welker, Eric Idle, Judd Nelson, Robert Stack, Orson Welles, Scatman Crothers, Casey Kasem, and Leonard Nimoy.

Relive the adventure that brought the TRANSFORMERS to the big screen or see it now for the very first time with this brilliantly remastered and color-corrected special edition 2-disc set!

The Last Unicorn
| Year: 1982 | 93 min. | United States

In this whimsical, animated film, a lone unicorn seeks out others like herself through a mystical land of talking cats and spellbinding magicians. Based on the book by Peter S. Beagle, this story has enamored the hearts of fans – young and old – from around the globe.

In her search for other unicorns, the last unicorn encounters a cast of delightful characters as well as dangers she never imagined. Throughout the fantastic adventure, she learns of friendship, love and most importantly her true self.

Discover the magic that has kept this tale a treasured classic. Featuring the voices of Jeff Bridges, Mia Farrow and Angela Lansbury, the story brings forth the power of friendship, the beauty of love and the pain of regret. Interlaced with songs and ethereal imagery, The Last Unicorn will reignite the hearts of its fans and entrance all who enter.

The Neverending Story
| Year: 1984 | 94 min. | Germany

When young Bastian borrows a mysterious ornately bound book, he never dreams turning a page would draw him into a shimmering fantasy world of racing snails, hang-glider bats, soaring luckdragons, puckish elves, a Childlike Empress, the brave warrior Atreyu and a slab-faced walking quarry called a Rock Biter.

Follow The NeverEnding Story to the limits of the imagination, thanks to director/co-writer Wolfgang Petersen (The Perfect Storm) and a superstar team of technical tinkerers and magicians (with credits including 2001: A Space Odyssey, Alien and The Empire Strikes Back) who bring to life the most delightful characters ever. You'll cherish this wide-eyed adventure and discover The NeverEnding Story is your story.

Labyrinth
| Year: 1986 | 101 min. | United States

Journey into the fantastical world of Labyrinth, starring David Bowie and a cast of incredible creatures created by Jim Henson. Frustrated with babysitting on yet another weekend night, Sarah (Jennifer Connelly), a teenager with an active imagination, summons the Goblins from her favorite book, "Labyrinth", to take her baby stepbrother away. When little Toby actually disappears, Sarah must follow him into the world of the fairy tale to rescue him from the wicked Goblin King (Bowie)! Guarding his castle is the labyrinth itself, a twisted maze of deception, populated with outrageous characters and unknown dangers. To get through it in time to save Toby, Sarah will have to outwit the King by befriending the very Goblins who protect him, in hopes that their loyalty isn't just another illusion in a place where nothing is as it seems!

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
| Year: 1986 | 119 min. | United States

Branded as fugitives by the very Federation they swore to protect, the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise dutifully returns to Earth to face charges for crimes committed in the course of rescuing a resurrected Spock. But en route, it is learned that the Earth is being ravaged by a strange alien probe demanding a response from a life form that no longer exists. Commandeering a captured Klingon Bird of Prey, Kirk and his crew bend time and space to save Earth and rediscover the meaning of friendship.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
| Year: 1984 | 118 min. | United States

From the award-winning duo of Steven Spielberg and George Lucas, experience every heart-pounding thrill like never before with Indiana Jones®: The Complete Adventures on Blu-ray! For the first time ever, all four unforgettable films are offered together on Blu-ray, featuring brilliant high definition picture quality and 5.1 audio presentation. This five-disc collection boasts fully color-corrected digital master versions of The Temple of Doom and The Last Crusade and the highly anticipated frame-by-frame full restoration of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Dive into the adventures and spectacular action of the Academy Award®-winning* Indiana Jones series with hours of special features including new content created exclusively for this release. Only one name defines the ultimate hero... only one format delivers the ultimate experience!

*Raiders of the Lost Ark: Best Visual Effects; Best Art Direction; Best Film Editing; Best Sound; and Special Achievement Award - Sound Effects Editing; 1981. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom: Best Visual Effects, 1984. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: Best Sound Effects Editing, 1989.

Watership Down
| Year: 1978 | 92 min. | United Kingdom

With this passion project, screenwriter-producer-director Martin Rosen brilliantly achieved what had been thought nearly impossible: a faithful big-screen adaptation of Richard Adams's classic British dystopian novel about a community of rabbits under terrible threat from modern forces. With its naturalistic hand-drawn animation, dreamily expressionistic touches, gorgeously bucolic background design, and elegant voice work from such superb English actors as John Hurt, Ralph Richardson, Richard Briers, and Denholm Elliott, Watership Down is an emotionally arresting, dark-toned allegory about freedom amid political turmoil.

Flight of the Navigator
| Year: 1986 | 90 min. | United States

David Freeman (Joey Cramer) is an ordinary boy destined for a most extraordinary adventure – aboard a spectacular, futuristic spacecraft. After a mystifying disappearance, David returns-possessing vast, undiscovered knowledge about the farthest reaches of the universe. With these sudden navigational powers, David is able to take the fantastic flying machine anywhere he desires, accompanied by both its wisecracking robotic commander, Max, and an assortment of bizarre extraterrestrial creatures! Embark on a fun-filled, fast-paced journey of fantasy and adventure as David takes off on the flight of a lifetime! Also featuring Sarah Jessica Parker and the voice of Paul Reubens.

The Secret of NIMH
| Year: 1982 | 83 min. | United States

Get ready to meet some runaway rodents with an earth-shattering secret! Suspenseful and heartwarming, this beautifully animated odyssey stars Mrs. Brisby, a mild-mannered mother mouse with a plan to move heaven and earth (or at least her house and home) to save her family from Farmer Fitzgibbons' plow!

Along the way she gets some help from a lovelorn crow, a busybody neighbor mouse and a fearsome great owl. Unfortunately, Mrs. Brisby will need an engineering miracle to hoist her home, and for that she must face a mysterious rat, fend off a ferocious cat and claim a magic amulet! But when Mrs. Brisby discovers the astounding secret of NIMH...it could change her life forever!

This timeless tale of love, courage and determination will transport the whole family into an enchanting world – where the bravest hearts live in the meekest of mice.

Legend
| Year: 1985 | 113 min. | United States

Legend, from director Ridley Scott (Blade Runner, Gladiator), is a visually stunning fantasy-adventure in which pure good and evil battle to the death amidst spectacular surroundings. Set in a timeless mythical forest inhabited by fairies, goblins, unicorns and mortals, this fantastic story stars Tom Cruise as a forest dweller, chosen by fate, to undertake a heroic quest. He must save the beautiful Princess Lily (Mia Sara) and defeat the demonic Lord of Darkness (Tim Curry) or the world will be plunged into a never-ending ice age!
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 06:11:06 PM »
Favorite films featuring Robert Downey Jr.

Iron Man
| Year: 2008 | 126 min. | United States

Lift off with high-speed, high-flying action in this Ultimate 2-disc Edition that takes you inside the suit of Marvel's invincible Super Hero for the ultimate Iron Man experience!

After surviving an unexpected attack in enemy territory, jet-setting industrialist Tony Stark builds a high-tech suit of armor and vows to protect the world as Iron Man.  Straight from the pages of the legendary comic book, Iron Man is a hero who is built – not born – to be unlike any other!

The Avengers
| Year: 2012 | 143 min. | United States

Marvel makes cinematic history as it unites the Super Hero team of a lifetime. Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.), Captain America (Chris Evans), The Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), and Thor (Chris Hemsworth) assemble together for the first time ever in this epic, action-packed blockbuster alongside Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson), Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) and Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson). Director Joss Whedon creates an unprecedented masterpiece that has become a global phenomenon.

Packed with spectacular visual effects and exclusive bonus features including Marvel's first-ever Gag Reel, a never-before-­seen Marvel short film, and an interactive Second Screen Experience, Marvel's The Avengers in Blu-ray 3D will blow your mind!

Sherlock Holmes
| Year: 2009 | 128 min. | United States

The game is afoot. Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law put memorable imprints on the roles of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson in a bold reimagining that makes the famed sleuth a daring man of action as well as a peerless man of intellect. Director Guy Ritchie helms the excitement, reintroducing the great detective to the world. Meet the new Sherlock Holmes!

Good Night, and Good Luck.
| Year: 2005 | 93 min. | United States

It's 1953, and the piece of talking furniture called TV is still a novelty in America's living rooms. On it, Sen. Joseph McCarthy uses fear, falsehoods and belligerence to become arguably the most powerful man in the land. On it, newsman Edward R. Murrow, who's had his fill of the senator's tactics, fights back.

That pivotal clash of two titans is the focus of director/co-writer George Clooney's award-winning Good Night, and Good Luck. David Strathairn portrays Murrow, the principled "face of television" who maps his strategy with his producer and confident, Fred Friendly (Colony). A deft ensemble plays staff members in the bustling battleground that is the CBS newsroom. McCarthy is in the mix, too, intercut into the action via real-life footage. Don't touch that dial. A media and a nation are going to change – while on the air.

Zodiac
| Year: 2007 | 163 min. | United States

Based on the true story of the notorious serial killer and the intense manhunt he inspired, Zodiac is a superbly crafted and critically acclaimed thriller from director David Fincher, featuring an ensemble cast led by Jake Gyllenhaal, Robert Downey Jr., and Mark Ruffalo.

Tropic Thunder
| Year: 2008 | 121 min. | United States

Go deeper into Tropic Thunder with this extended version of the hit film, packed with more action, more comedy, and more madness than ever before.

When three of Hollywood's biggest stars head into the jungles of Vietnam to shoot a war movie, they have no idea how real things can get. Starring Ben Stiller, Jack Black and Robert Downey Jr., Tropic Thunder is the most unexpected and controversial movie of the year.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
| Year: 2005 | 103 min. | United States

They say love and money don't mix, but you can't blame Harry Lockhart for trying. He's been whisked from a life of petty crime to Hollywood, where he'll audition for the role of a movie detective and be tutored for the part by a private eye. Now all he has to do is convince the dream girl he meets that he's a real detective. And not stumble over the corpses as reel life abruptly gives way to the real.

Lights, camera, plenty of action! Shane Black (Lethal Weapon) provides the screenplay and makes his directing debut in a clever fusion of buddy movie and hardboiled noir produced by Joel Silver. Robert Downey Jr., Val Kilmer and Michelle Monaghan play the thrust-together trio – a naïve schemer, a tough-as-nails gay detective and a hopeful actress clinging to her dream. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. Watch Watch.

A Scanner Darkly
| Year: 2006 | 100 min. | United States

What does a scanner see? Into the head? Into the heart? From the novel by Philip K. Dick (Blade Runner, Minority Report ) comes A Scanner Darkly, brought to the screen by filmmaker Richard Linklater with an edgy graphic-novel look.

The time: just beyond now. The place: suburbia. The story: a twisted, funny tale of people hooked on Substance D. And of a government that cheerfully destroys its citizens - their rights, their relationships - in order to save them. Robert Downey Jr., Woody Harrelson, Winona Ryder and Rory Cochrane play strung-out friends terrified of each other and of spies, Keanu Reeves plays a spy who's also one of the friends... until his two personalities begin to split. Enjoy the paranoia. Nobody's watching you. Really.

The Singing Detective
| Year: 2003 | 109 min. | United States

The Singing Detective, adapted by author Dennis Potter and based on the original BBC series, is a stylized, hallucinatory tale utilizing noir elements and popular tunes from a bygone era in a contemporary setting. The film stars Robert Downey Jr. as Dan Dark, an author of pulp novels who is undergoing treatment for severe psoriasis which has crippled both his body and mind. In and out of consciousness, Dark's paranoid delusions manifest themselves as vivid fantasies, combining fragments from his life and his fiction, giving voice (quite literally) to the characters he's created and the action around him. Robert Downey Jr. is given on screen support by Robin Wright Penn (House of Cards) as his estranged paramour, Katie Holmes (Batman Begins) as his attending nurse and Mel Gibson (Braveheart) as his psychiatrist. Academy Award® winning actor* Adrien Brody (The Pianist) and Jon Polito (The Big Lebowski) bring classic noir villany (with a wry, comic twist) to the proceedings. The Singing Detective is directed by Keith Gordon (Christine, Dressed To Kill, The Chocolate War).

*2002, ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE, THE PIANIST.

Home for the Holidays
| Year: 1995 | 103 min. | United States

Director Jodie Foster dishes up a "heaping helping of holiday hilarity" (NBC-TV) with this laugh-out-loud comedy from screenwriter W.D. Richter about family, food and finding acceptance with the people you love. Home for the Holidays is a "wickedly funny" film that's "so true it hurts" ("Entertainment Today")!

In a span of 36 hours, Claudia Larson (Hunter) has managed to lose her job, make out with her boss and learn that her daughter (Danes) is planning to go all the way. But Claudia's fortunes actually take a turn for the worse when she flies home to endure an even more grueling trial: the family Thanksgiving! Beset by a neurotic mother (Bancroft), kooky father (Durning), eccentric brother (Downey, Jr.) and compulsively "normal" sister (Stevenson), Claudia struggles to maintain her calm. But as sparks fly, tempers flare and turkeys go airborne, Claudia manages to recapture the zaniness of her childhood and discover that the most important things in life are the memories she shares with family...and for that, she can only be thankful!
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline surfeur51

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 07:16:47 AM »
I also appreciate very much Robert Downey. In my list, I would put also "Fur: An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus", which I think is his best role (even if the movie has some flaws), and "Gothika"...

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 09:12:17 AM »
We love Home for the Holidays .. what a great portrait of family gatherings .. (similar to Family Stone) .. HFTH is a holiday requirement .. just like The Ref
Thank you
David

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 08:55:09 PM »
I also appreciate very much Robert Downey. In my list, I would put also "Fur: An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus", which I think is his best role (even if the movie has some flaws), and "Gothika"...
I have both of those but haven't gotten to watch them yet. 
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 08:56:28 PM »
We love Home for the Holidays .. what a great portrait of family gatherings .. (similar to Family Stone) .. HFTH is a holiday requirement .. just like The Ref
Yeah, HFTH was great!  Haven't added it to the yearly films, but do intend to watch it again next year.
-- Thorin Oakenshield