Author Topic: What's your favourite non-star actor?  (Read 1653 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
What's your favourite non-star actor?
« on: September 02, 2016, 09:52:32 PM »
Hi,

who's an actor/actress you always like to see on the screen but who's never really been an A-list actor? Someone who always appears in smaller roles in movies and TV shows but when he does appear you think "Cool, it's him/her!"?

For me, one such actor is Kevin Dunn.

He was the political advisor in Dave, he was Shia LaBeouf's dad in the Transformers movies and just now I'm watching him giving the series Code Black a chance.

Another such person (who on top of it always seems to play basically the same role) is Glenn Morshower.

He's always a lower rank military man or a secret service agent. Be it Air Force One, JAG or 24.

What makes them so positively familiar is maybe also the fact that they rarely if ever are the bad guy. Even in cases like Dave, Dunn's character was more on the good side and came through in the end at the cost of his own career.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: What's your favourite non-star actor?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 11:14:06 AM »
Top of the head I'd say Paul Giamatti (he was in action films, but clearly not an action star himself).

I am also always happy to see Stanley Tucci.

But then, the problem with this kind of actors is, that we are always excited to see them show up on screen, we may even know their name when we see them, but we can never remember them by their name... So, I know there are at least two or three more I should name as favorites, but I can't recall who they are right now.

Offline surfeur51

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 08:54:03 AM »
Not very easy to answer, since there are so many interesting actors/actresses in secondary roles. The limit between star and non-star is also difficult to decide. What about Desmond Llewelyn ? Star or non star ?

After some thinking, I'll vote for Frédérique Bel, who played in many movies but never in a main character.

lovemunkey187

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 01:45:14 PM »
Not exactly withn the confines of the question, but I prefer Christopher Walken as a supporting actor or cameo.
Especially in Seven Psychopaths and True Romance