Author Topic: April Fool-A-Thon  (Read 8775 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
April Fool-A-Thon
« on: April 02, 2016, 02:58:09 PM »
April Fool-A-Thon

For the month of April I decided I am in the mood for some comedy! This will include comedy movies as well as stand up comedians. Possibly even a short lived (1 to 2 season) TV series thrown in for good measures. I have a huge amount of comedy in my collection so there is no way I can list them all here... but I will list some of the top ones I hope to get to this month.

I hope to get to:
Titles Never seen in BOLD:

The Big Year
Bruce Almighty
City Slickers
Cop Out
The House Bunny
Joe Somebody
Jumanji
The Longest Yard (1974)
Mars Needs Moms
The Peanuts Movie
Paul Blart: Mall Cop
Paul Blart: Mall Cop II
Private Benjamin
Private Valentine
Uncle Buck
We're the Millers
The Wedding Ringer

My Stand Up Comedy Collection:
Titles in BOLD I never seen before:

Gabriel Iglesias: The Fluffy Movie
Gabriel Iglesias: Hot and Fluffy
Gabriel Iglesias: I'm not Fat... I'm Fluffy
George Carlin: Jammin' In New York/ Doin' It Again
Jeff Dunham's Very Special Christmas Special
Jeff Dunham: All Over the Map
Jeff Dunham: Minding the Monsters
Jeff Dunham: Unhinged in Hollywood
Jeff Foxworthy: You Might Be A Redneck If & Check Your Neck
Jeff Foxworthy: Totally Committed
Margaret Cho: Revolution
National Lampoon Live: Down & Dirty
Southern Gents of Comedy
Totally Rosie

Possible TV Series to Watch:

All-American Girl
The Ellen Show
Father of the Pride
Just Friends
Outsourced
Police Squad
Square Pegs
Stacked
Stockard Channing Show
Tabitha
Worst Week
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 07:40:13 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: April Fool-A-Thon
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 05:04:22 PM »
     The Peanuts Movie: Collector's Edition (2015/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
(United States)
Director:Steve Martino
Writing:Craig Schulz (Screenwriter), Bryan Schulz (Screenwriter), Cornelius Uliano (Screenwriter), Charles M. Schulz (Original Material By)
Length:88 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews as Miss Othmar/Mrs. Little Red-Haired Girl
Rebecca Bloom as Marcie
Anastasia Bredikhina as Patty
Francesca Angelucci Capaldi as The Little Red-Haired Girl/Frieda
Kristin Chenoweth as Fifi

Plot:
Dream big and laugh along with good ol' Charlie Brown, Snoopy, Lucy, Linus and the rest of the beloved Peanuts gang as you've never seen them before – in a brand-new feature film from the imagination of Charles M. Schulz and the creators of Ice Age. Join everyone's favorite eternal optimist, Charlie Brown, as he embarks on a heroic quest, while his beagle pal Snoopy takes to the skies to pursue his archnemesis, the Red Baron. It's a hilarious and heartwarming adventure that proves every underdog has his day!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Music Videos

My Thoughts:

On the one hand this film did offer a few laughs. But on the other hand they tried to fit too much of the classic skits of Charlie Brown into the film and it just didn't have the feel of the original shows. It was also a little weird to see these characters in this style of animation. So while I wouldn't say this is a terrible movie... it didn't live up to expectations either.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 05:50:30 PM »
     City Slickers: Collector's Edition (1991/United States)
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Ron Underwood
Writing:Lowell Ganz (Writer), Babaloo Mandel (Writer)
Length:114 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Billy Crystal as Mitch Robbins
Daniel Stern as Phil Berquist
Bruno Kirby as Ed Furillo
Patricia Wettig as Barbara Robbins
Helen Slater as Bonnie Rayburn

Plot:
More hilarious than ever, and packing a slew of special features, including behind-the-scenes featurettes, commentary and deleted scenes, it's the insightful, delightful film about cowboys, careers and midlife crises starring comic genius Billy Crystal and Oscar® Winner Jack Palance*.

Thirty-nine-year-old New Yorker Mitch Robbins (Crystal) is tired of his job and bored with his life. So he and his two best friends (Bruno Kirby and Daniel Stern) trade their briefcases for saddlebags and set out to find freedom and adventure herding cattle under the wide New Mexico sky. But what they discover instead is scorching sun, sore backsides...and more about themselves and each other than they ever thought possible.

*1991, Supporting Actor, City Slickers

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

This is a film I haven't watched in a long time... while I knew I always liked it, I forgot just how good this one is. I loved every minute of it. For me Billy Crystal is pretty hit or miss... but in this case I thought he was great. He was funny... he was serious and he showed a caring side. And I really liked Jack Palance as well. Really I thought the entire cast was good here. If by any chance you have never seen this one... it is one I highly recommend! A must see! Now I just wish I had part 2 to follow it up with!

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 03:34:55 AM »
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992/United States)
Trailer |IMDb |Wikipedia |
Director:Fran Rubel Kuzui
Writing:Joss Whedon (Writer)
Length:85 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 4.0, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Candy Clark as Buffy's Mom
Kristy Swanson as Buffy
Donald Sutherland as Merrick
Paul Reubens as Amilyn
Rutger Hauer as Lothos

Plot:
Blonde, bouncy Buffy (Kristy Swanson) is your typical high school cheerleader — her goal is to "marry Christian Slater and die" and nothing gets in her way when it's time to shop. But all that changes when a strange man (Donald Sutherland) informs her she's been chosen by fate to kill vampires.

With the help of a romantic rebel (Luke Perry), Buffy is soon spending school nights protecting L.A. from Lothos, the Vampire King (Rutger Hauer), his sidekick, Lefty (Paul Reubens), and their determined gang of bloodsuckers. It's everything you'd expect from a teen queen in the valley.19. Time of Your Life, Part 4

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

I know a lot of people that prefer the TV Series to this movie... and I agree... I do enjoy the series more... but I do still enjoy the movie as well. As much as I enjoy this one...  I have no idea why. It isn't particularly that funny... but all the same I still really get a kick out of it.... and keep finding myself coming back to it! I think if you go into this one expecting what it is... a silly, cheesy movie... then I think you will enjoy it.

Rating:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 03:37:50 AM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 05:04:13 AM »
     City Slickers II: "The Legend of Curly's Gold" (1994/United States)
Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Paul Weiland
Writing:Billy Crystal (Writer), Lowell Ganz (Writer), Babaloo Mandel (Writer), Lowell Ganz (Original Characters By), Babaloo Mandel (Original Characters By)
Length:116 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Billy Crystal as Mitch Robbins
Daniel Stern as Phil Berquist
Jon Lovitz as Glen Robbins
Jack Palance as Duke/Curly Washburn
Patricia Wettig as Barbara Robbins

Plot:
There's gold in them thar hills and laughter everywhere as Billy Crystal saddles up with Daniel Stern, Jon Lovitz and Jack Palance for the sequel to the smash hit City Slickers.

Life is good for Mitch (Crystal), yet something troubles him: the ghost of leathery trail boss Curly. And when he finds a hidden treasure map in Curly's old hat, Mitch is sure he's being told "Go West!" So it's westward ho-ho for urban cowboys Mitch, good buddy Phil (Stern) and Mitch's goof-off brother (Lovitz). Teaming with Curly's snake-eyed twin sibling (Palance), they search for a fortune in gold while kicking up dust, stirring up laughs and hitting more obstacles than a cactus has needles. You've found comedy gold.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Production Notes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

While it is not nearly as good as the first one... I still found this one enjoyable. One problem I had with this one is they added Jon Lovitz to the cast. I never liked him. I did like how they brought back Jack Palance. And it did have some good laughs in it. Over all worth the watch... but definitely prefer the first one.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 06:33:35 PM »

Invisible Sister
While working on a science project, high school student Cleo accidentally creates a vapor that turns a moth invisible. But that's not the only thing she turns invisible; she finds out she also turned her older sister invisible. With her sister invisible and only hours to find a cure, Cleo must use her friends and her skills to cure her invisible sister.

My Thoughts:
This is a Disney Channel movie I found on Netflix. It isn't the best of their films I have seen. But is entertaining enough to finish watching it. Basically just an average younger teen comedy. While I may add this one to my collection if I found it cheap... it is nothing I would be actively looking for.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 10:56:14 PM »
    Vacation (2015/United States)
Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Jonathan Goldstein, John Francis Daley
Writing:Jonathan Goldstein (Writer), John Francis Daley (Writer)
Length:99 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: DTS: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Ed Helms as Rusty Griswold
Christina Applegate as Debbie Griswold
Skyler Gisondo as James Griswold
Steele Stebbins as Kevin Griswold
Chris Hemsworth as Stone Crandall

Plot:
BUCKLE UP, IT'S GOING TO BE A WILD RIDE...

The next generation of Griswolds is on the road again for another hilarious, ill-fated family adventure. Following in his father's footsteps, a grown-up Rusty Griswold (Ed Helms, The Hangover films) surprises his wife, Debbie (Christina Applegate, the Anchorman films), and their two sons with a cross-country road trip back to America's "favorite family fun park," Walley World. What could go wrong?

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

This is one I got out of Redbox before buying a copy. And I am glad that I did... as I really didn't think much of it at all. While there is a couple cast members in this one that I like... the film itself was less then average. I just didn't find it to be funny at all. There was a scene or two that I did like... but over-all I just couldn't get into it. I really wasn't all that impressed that they got Chevy Chase and Beverly D'Angelo to reprise their roles from the original films. I don't really see this one going into my collection.

Rating:
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 06:25:31 AM »
I saw Vacation during a flight and it worked fine in that environment. I thought the younger brother was quite hilarious, but some affection for black humor is required.

I don't regret seeing it, but probably will have no desire to see it again. I do own the original on Blu-ray.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 02:26:43 PM »
     Paul Blart: Mall Cop (2009/United States)
IMDb |Trailer |
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Steve Carr
Writing:Kevin James (1965) (Writer), Nick Bakay (Writer)
Length:91 min.
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, French: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Commentary

Stars:
Kevin James as Paul Blart
Keir O'Donnell as Veck
Jayma Mays as Amy
Raini Rodriguez as Maya
Shirley Knight as Mom

Plot:
With a heart that won't quit, a stomach that won't stop gurgling, and a self-sworn oath to protect his turf, he's Paul Blart: Mall Cop.

Mild-mannered Paul Blart (Kevin James, "The King of Queens") has always had huge dreams of becoming a State Trooper. Until then, he patrols the local mall as a security guard. With his closely cropped mustache, personal transporter and gung-ho attitude, only Blart seems to take his job seriously. All that changes when a team of thugs raids the mall and takes hostages. Untrained, unarmed and a super-size target, Blart has to become a real cop to save the day.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • BD-Live
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

This is the second time I watched this movie, I find it to be a fun... silly type of film that uses a lot of slapstick comedy. On the down side it is pretty darn predictable. But on the up side I did find it entertaining... it easily kept my interest throughout. Definitely worth the watch if you like silly slapstick humor.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 02:45:46 PM »
     Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 (2015/United States)
IMDb |Trailer |Wikipedia |
Director:Andy Fickman
Writing:Kevin James (Writer), Nick Bakay (Writer), Kevin James (1965) (Original Characters By), Nick Bakay (Original Characters By)
Length:94 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Thai: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:Chinese, English, French, Korean, Spanish, Thai, Other

Stars:
Kevin James as Paul Blart
Raini Rodriguez as Maya Blart
Neal McDonough as Vincent Sofel
Daniella Alonso as Divina Martinez
Eduardo Verastegui as Eduardo Furtillo

Plot:
After six years of keeping our malls safe, Paul Blart (Kevin James) has earned a well-deserved vacation. He heads to Vegas with his teenage daughter before she heads off to college. But safety never takes a holiday and when duty calls, Blart answers.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

This is the first time I have seen the sequel. I don't feel it was as good as the first one... but I was still able to enjoy it. I don't care for the way they got rid of Amy and Paul's mother... felt both solutions were way over the top. But over all... it was more of the same predictable slapstick comedy. Worth watching if you liked the first one.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 09:57:36 PM »
     Private Valentine: Blonde & Dangerous (2008/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
Director:Steve Miner
Writing:April Blair (Story By), April Blair (Screenwriter), Kelly Bowe (Screenwriter)
Length:98 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French

Stars:
Jessica Simpson as Private Megan Valentine
Vivica A. Fox as Sergeant Louisa Morely
Steve Guttenberg as Sidney Green
Aimee Garcia as Private Vicky Castillo
Olesya Rulin as Private Petrovich

Plot:
Megan Valentine was America's sweetheart. But her latest movie is a bomb, and a crooked accountant has left her broke. So she's doing what anyone else would do – joining the Army. Now, there's no star treatment, no stunt doubles and no second takes. But with the help of the other recruits, she'll find the motivation she needs to be all she can be and make it through basic training with style. Also starring Vivica A. Fox, Steve Guttenbery, Olesya Rulin, Cheri Oteri and Jill Marie Jones.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

In this one Jessica Simpson does the whole misfits in the army thing. It is entertaining for what it is... though it is pretty predictable. It does have a few laughs... worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 05:32:35 PM »
     Weekend at Bernie's (1989/United States)
Director:Ted Kotcheff
Writing:Robert Klane (Writer)
Length:98 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono

Stars:
Andrew McCarthy as Larry Wilson
Jonathan Silverman as Richard Parker
Catherine Mary Stewart as Gwen Saunders
Terry Kiser as Bernie Lomax
Don Calfa as Paulie

Plot:
Hilarious performances by Andrew McCarthy and Jonathan Silverman make this comedy a "good old, knockdown slapstick" (The Hollywood Reporter)!

It sounded like a great weekend away at their boss Bernie's beachside pleasure palace. But when working stiffs Richard and Larry (McCarthy and Silverman) arrive to find a real stiff – their murdered boss – they're forced to concoct a crazy scheme to avoid being implicated and/or dead themselves! With Bernie propped up and his death effectively covered up, Richard and Larry's weekend escape becomes exactly that, as they dodge curious babes, a curtain of bullets and one confused hit man!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:

I actually remember this one being better then what I watched today. But the last time I seen this one I was in my teens. So I think it is a matter of my tastes maturing over the years. That being said... I still enjoyed the film. It does have a few laughs. So I would say it is worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 07:28:45 PM »
     The Wedding Ringer (2015/United States)
Director:Jeremy Garelick
Writing:Jeremy Garelick (Writer), Jay Lavender (Writer)
Length:101 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish, Commentary

Stars:
Kevin Hart as Jimmy Callahan/Bic
Josh Gad as Doug Harris
Affion Crockett as Reggie/Drysdale
Kaley Cuoco as Gretchen Palmer
Jorge Garcia as Lurch/Garvey

Plot:
Doug Harris (Josh Gad) is a loveable but socially awkward groom-to-be with a problem: He has no best man. With less than two weeks to go until he marries the girl of his dreams (Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting), Doug is referred to Jimmy Callahan (Kevin Hart), owner and CEO of Best Man, Inc., a company that provides flattering best men for socially challenged guys in need. What ensues is a hilarious wedding charade as they try to pull off the big con and an unexpected budding bromance between Doug and his fake best man, Jimmy.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

I originally added this one to my collection on the fact that I am a fan of Kaley Cuoco. While this may not be my favorite role for her... I definitely found I enjoyed this one quite a bit. This one isn't exactly what I was expecting going in. But to be fair I knew nothing about it before getting it. I originally expected a romantic comedy... but this is more of a buddy film. More about the groom and the group of guys he hires to be in his wedding party.Over all a fun film... definitely worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 05:52:45 PM »
     Buck Privates: Collector's Series (1941/United States)
Universal Home Entertainment, Image Entertainment (United States)
Director:Arthur Lubin
Writing:Arthur T. Horman (Screenwriter), John Grant (Writer)
Length:84 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: Mono

Stars:
Lee Bowman as Randolph Parker, III
Alan Curtis as Bob Martin
Bud Abbott as Slicker Smith
Lou Costello as Herbie Brown
The Andrews Sisters

Plot:
Comedy legends Bud Abbott and Lou Costello cemented their place in film history with the hilarious comedy classic Buck Privates. After spending years on stage in burlesque and on radio perfecting classic routines such as "Who's on First?", the duo transitioned to motion pictures at Universal in 1940. In their first leading roles, Bud and Lou play con artists who accidently enlist in the U.S. Army to avoid going to jail. Making matters worse, their no–nonsense drill sergeant turns out to be the cop who tried to arrest them! Featuring classic routines such as "Drill", "Dice Game" and "You're Forty, She's Ten", the film also starred the popular singing group The Andrew Sisters performing the Academy Award®–nominated° song "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy". Following the success of Buck Privates, Bud and Lou made an astounding 26 more movies at Universal leaving a legacy of laughter that will be treasured forever.

°1941 Best Music-Original Song

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

This is a fun Abbott and Costello flick. Seeing the misfits in the armed forces is always fun. While this one is definitely worth the time put in to watch it... if there is anything for me to complain about... it would have to be a little too much Andrew Sisters. I think I would have liked to have seen a non-musical version of this film. But to be honest... even that didn't really take away from my enjoyment.

Rating:
Pete