Author Topic: Within My Lifetime: 2016 Edition  (Read 17571 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Within My Lifetime: 2016 Edition
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 01:31:02 AM »
     The Boondock Saints (1999/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Troy Duffy
Writing:Troy Duffy (Writer)
Length:108 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Willem Dafoe as Paul Smecker
Sean Patrick Flanery as Conner MacManus
Norman Reedus as Murphy MacManus
David Della Rocco as Rocco
Billy Connolly as Il Duce

Plot:
Heart-pounding and graphic, this action-packed film pits FBI agent Paul Smecker (Willem Dafoe) against a pair of Irish brothers (Sean Patrick Flanery and Norman Reedus) out to rid the world of evil – starting with the Russian mob. But as the brothers brutally take on Boston's underworld, Smecker finds himself torn between busting the vigilantes...and joining them!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • The Boondock Saints Script, D-Box Motion Code

My Thoughts:

I must say... I really enjoyed this one. Lots of great action and a really good story to go along with it, Sean Patrick Flannery and Norman Reedus did a wonderful job as the MacManus brothers and Willem Dafoe did a great job as well in a roll much different then I ever seen him in before. And I must say he (as well as all the cast) looked like they had a real blast with this one. This is one film I will be recommending to my friends and family. Now I just need to add part 2 to my collection to go along with this one. Hopefully sooner rather then later!

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 03:45:48 AM »
     Cat's Eye (1985/United States)
Warner Home Video, Turner Entertainment Company (United States)
Director:Lewis Teague
Writing:Stephen King (1947) (Screenwriter)
Length:94 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Drew Barrymore (1975) as Our Girl
James Woods (1947) as Morrison
Alan King (1927) as Dr. Donatti
Kenneth McMillan as Cressner
Robert Hays as Norris

Plot:
A wandering supernatural feline's adventures provide the linking story for Stephen King's Cat's Eye, a dead on trilogy scripted by King and directed by Lewis Teague (Cujo, The Jewel of the Nile). First up: the staff at Quitters Inc. promises to help nicotine fiend Dick Morrison (James Woods) kick the habit. If not, someone in Morrison's household might get smoked... because QI is run by a very persuasive mob family. Next comes a cliffhanger. Or a ledgehanger. Either way, a luckless gambler (Robert Hays) is forced into a bet involving a stroll around the building – on the five inch ledge encircling the 30th floor. Finally, our wayfarer kitty rescues a schoolgirl (young Drew Barrymore) from a vile, doll-sized troll. Meowvelous!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Production Notes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

This is one of the first Anthology movies I ever seen... and one of my favorites. In my opinion a real horror classic! I loved how the cat in the beginning of the movie is shown running past other Stephen King greats... like.. seeing the cat getting scared by Cujo coming out from behind a fence and almost getting run over by Christine. At one point they also show a couple of the characters watching The Dead Zone on TV. This Anthology had 3 stories to it... and in this case I really enjoyed all 3 of them. I definitely recommend this one.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 06:06:31 PM »
     I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997/United States)
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Jim Gillespie
Writing:Kevin Williamson (Screenwriter), Lois Duncan (Original Material By)
Length:101 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, French: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai, Commentary

Stars:
Jennifer Love Hewitt as Julie James
Sarah Michelle Gellar as Helen Shivers
Ryan Phillippe as Barry Cox
Freddie Prinze, Jr. as Ray Bronson
Muse Watson as Benjamin Willis/Fisherman

Plot:
Jennifer Love Hewitt and Sarah Michelle Gellar star with Ryan Phillippe, Freddie Prinze, Jr. and Johnny Galecki in this terrifying tale of a body that just won't stay dead.

After an accident on a winding road, four teens make the fatal mistake of dumping their victim's body into the sea. Exactly one year later, the dead man returns from his watery grave, and he's looking for more than an apology.

Extras:

My Thoughts:

This one is not what I would call a favorite... but I do enjoy it now and again. Even though this is little more then an entertaining teen slasher... I do enjoy seeing the familiar faces. Just to name a few we have one of my all-time favorites Jennifer Love Hewitt who I absolutely adored in Ghost Whisperer, then there was Sarah Michelle Gellar who was of course Buffy the Vampire Slayer and then there was Johnny Galecki who was in Roseanne and is currently starring in The Big Bang Theory. But as I was saying... over all not a terrible horror. It is entertaining for what it is... but don't go into this one with too high of expectations.

Rating:
    Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 09:22:11 PM »
         Enter the Dragon: 40th Anniversary Edition (1973/United States)
    Warner Home Video (United States)
    Director:Robert Clouse
    Writing:Michael Allin (Writer)
    Length:103 min.
    Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
    Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, German: Dolby Digital: Mono, Italian: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Polish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Russian: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
    Subtitles:English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish

Stars:
    Bruce Lee (1940) as Lee
    John Saxon as Roper
    Jim Kelly (1946) as Williams
    Ahna Capri as Tania
    Kien Shih [Shih Kien] as Han

Plot:
    Celebrate martial arts legend Bruce Lee's final film with this Ultimate Collector's Edition Blu-ray™ Giftset! Sent to an exotic island by his government, a spy (Lee) competes in a deadly tournament by day and infiltrates a ruthless crime lord's illegal drug operation by night. With plot twists, exquiste cinematography and bone crushing fight scenes choregraphed by Lee himself. Enter the Dragon remains cinema's most influential martial arts action film. Now, the pulsating power of this iconic film is even greater in this remastered high-definition version, presented here with collectible extras an never before released special features.

Extras:
    • Scene Access
    • Audio Commentary
    • Feature Trailers
    • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

It has been many years since I watched any Bruce Lee movie let alone this one. And I must say I enjoyed it quite a bit. I forgot how fast that man actually was. I really enjoyed the story and there is plenty of martial arts action. This is one I definitely recommend. Well worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
    Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 11:54:39 PM »
         The Lost Boys (1987/United States)
    Director:Joel Schumacher
    Writing:Janice Fischer (Story By), James Jeremias (Story By), Janice Fischer (Screenwriter), James Jeremias (Screenwriter), Jeffrey Boam (Screenwriter)
    Length:97 min.
    Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, German: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Italian: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
    Subtitles:Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
    Jason Patric as Michael
    Corey Haim as Sam
    Dianne Wiest as Lucy
    Barnard Hughes as Grandpa
    Ed Herrmann as Max

Plot:
    Sam and his older brother Michael are average, everyday teens. But after they move with their mother to peaceful Santa Clara, California, things mysteriously begin to change. Michael's not himself lately. And Mom's not going to like what he's turning into.

The Lost Boys reshapes vampire tradition, deftly mixing heart-pounding terror, rib-tickling laughs and a body-gyrating rock soundtrack. Under Joel Schumacher's direction, a marvelous cast – Jason Patric, Jami Gertz, Kiefer Sutherland, Corey Feldman, Corey Haim, Barnard Hughes, Edward Herrmann and Dianne Wiest – stakes you to gleefully ghoulish entertainment.

Extras:
    • Scene Access
    • Audio Commentary
    • Feature Trailers
    • Deleted Scenes
    • Featurettes
    • Gallery
    • Interactive Games
    • Multi-angle
    • Music Videos

My Thoughts:

This is one I actually upgraded from the DVD... as it is one of my favorite vampire films. It is one I have seen countless times...one that I never tire of. This movie is the first thing I ever seen Keifer Sutherland in... and I think he did an awesome job in it. I also think Jason Patric did a great job as Michael. and I definitely couldn't help but to enjoy the Old Fart (Grandpa)... I just get such a kick out of him and all the stuffed animals he gave to Sam. Definitely one I would highly recommend to any horror fan... especially vampire fans. Though I do believe most all horror fans probably seen this one by now!

Rating:
    Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 03:16:07 AM »
         Edward Scissorhands (1990/United States)
    Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
    Director:Tim Burton
    Writing:Tim Burton (Story By), Caroline Thompson (Story By), Caroline Thompson (Screenwriter)
    Length:105 min.
    Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
    Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 4.0, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
    Subtitles:Chinese, English, Korean, Spanish

Stars:
    Johnny Depp as Edward Scissorhands
    Winona Ryder as Kim
    Dianne Wiest as Peg
    Anthony Michael Hall as Jim
    Kathy Baker as Joyce

Plot:
    In this modern fairy-tale film directed by Tim Burton, Edward (Johnny Depp) is a gentle, naive creation with razor-sharp scissors for hands. When he is taken home by a kindly Avon lady (Dianne Wiest) to live with her family, his adventure in the pastel paradise of Suburbia begins!

Extras:
    • Scene Access
    • Audio Commentary
    • Feature Trailers
    • Bonus Trailers
    • Featurettes
    • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

It has been quite a while since I seen this one... but been wanting to every since upgrading to the blu-ray a couple months ago. Being a Tim Burton film it is definitely a little on the different side... but in a good way. I think Johnny Depp did a fantastic job in the title role... really so did the entire cast. Which has many familiar faces. In my opinion this one must be seen at least once. So definitely recommended.

Rating:
    Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: March 01, 2016, 05:32:34 AM »
         Men in Black II (2002/United States)
    Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
    Director:Barry Sonnenfeld
    Writing:Lowell Cunningham (Original Material By), Robert Gordon (Story By), Robert Gordon (Screenwriter), Barry Fanaro (Screenwriter)
    Length:88 min.
    Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
    Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
    Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
    Tommy Lee Jones as Kay
    Will Smith (1968) as Jay
    Rip Torn as Zed
    Lara Flynn Boyle as Serleena
    Johnny Knoxville as Scrad/Charlie

Plot:
    Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith are back in black as the scum-fighting super-agents Kay and Jay – regulators of all things alien on planet Earth. Their latest mission: to save the world from a total intergalactic disaster!

When a renegade Kylothian monster disguised as a lingerie model threatens the survival of the human race, the boys of the MIB get the call to step up and get busy. With their headquarters under siege and time running out, Agents Kay and Jay enlist the help of Frank the Pug and a posse of hard-living worms to help them kick some seriously sexy alien butt!

Extras:
    • Scene Access
    • Audio Commentary
    • Deleted Scenes
    • Featurettes
    • Multi-angle
    • Music Videos
    • Outtakes/Bloopers
    • BD-Live
    • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

Much like the first film... this one is a lot of mindless fun. Though I do think the first one is a little better. I just don't think the over-all story line was quite as good. It was still good to see these two together.... as they make a good team. Definitely recommended... especially if you liked the first one.

Rating:
    Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: March 29, 2016, 03:42:54 PM »
    From Superhero Thread..

1979 - Captain America
    Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: May 01, 2016, 06:12:28 PM »
    From The April-Fool-A-Thon thread...

1989 - Weekend at Bernies
    1991 - City Slickers
    1992 - Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    1994 - City Slickers 2
    Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: May 13, 2016, 05:17:33 PM »
         Friday the 13th (1980/United States)
    Director:Sean S. Cunningham
    Writing:Victor Miller (Writer)
    Length:95 min.
    Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
    Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
    Betsy Palmer as Mrs. Voorhees
    Adrienne King as Alice
    Jeannine Taylor as Marcie
    Robbi Morgan as Annie
    Kevin Bacon as Jack

Plot:
    A new owner and several young counselors gather to reopen Camp Crystal Lake where a young boy drowned and several vicious murders occurred years earlier. They've ignored the locals' warnings that the place has a death curse... and one by one they find out how unlucky Friday the 13th can be as they are stalked by a violent killer.

Extras:
    • Scene Access
    • Audio Commentary
    • Feature Trailers
    • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

This is, of course, the one that started it all. Definitely a classic when it comes to horror. I feel it is a good movie... definitely worth watching... but I have seen better. I really liked the character of Alice in this one. For some reason I keep forgetting there is a young Kevin Bacon in this movie until I watch it again.

Rating:
    Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
      • View Profile
    « Reply #25 on: May 31, 2016, 03:40:35 AM »
        The Truth About Jane (2000/United States)
    Fisher Klingenstein Films, TGG Direct (United States)
    Director:Lee Rose
    Writing:Lee Rose (Writer)
    Length:91 min.
    Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
    Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
    Subtitles:

Stars:
    Stockard Channing as Janice
    Ellen Muth as Jane
    Kelly Rowan as Ms. Lynn Walcott
    Jenny O'Hara as Beth
    RuPaul as Jimmy

Plot:
    Jane's mom (Stockard Channing) assumes her daughter is just like every other sixteen-year-old girl - a little confused about growing up. Jane (Ellen Muth) figures her mom is just like every other mom - a little too protective, but loving. They figure they have a good relationship, until Jane falls in love with the new girl at school. Jane knows she is gay but her mom is completely unwilling to accept this fact. Their mother-daughter relationship is broken unless they can find a way to remember how much they love each other.

Extras:
    • NONE

My Thoughts:

I felt that they did a wonderful job with this film. It felt realistic and I must say it broke my heart (and kinda pissed me off) seeing how much trouble the mother had accepting the idea her daughter is a lesbian. To me a parent should be , happy and safe. Sure it means they are going to have a tougher time in life. I am not blind... I can see that. But it is a parent's job to help their child through the tough times in their lives...not add to them. Anyway, I enjoyed every moment of this movie. Despite it being pure drama (not a favorite genre). Well worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
    « Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 03:42:50 AM by addicted2dvd »
    Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: June 11, 2016, 06:48:31 PM »
         Alice in Wonderland (2010/United States)
    Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, Buena Vista Home Entertainment (United States)
    Director:Tim Burton
    Writing:Linda Woolverton (Screenwriter), Lewis Carroll (Original Material By)
    Length:109 min.
    Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
    Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
    Johnny Depp as Mad Hatter
    Mia Wasikowska as Alice
    Helena Bonham Carter as Red Queen
    Anne Hathaway as White Queen
    Crispin Glover as Stayne - Knave of Hearts

Plot:
    Tumble down the rabbit hole with Alice for a fantastical adventure from Walt Disney Pictures and Tim Burton. Inviting and magical, Alice in Wonderland is an imaginative new twist on one of the most beloved stories of all time. Alice (Mia Wasikowska), now 19 years old, returns to the whimsical world she first entered as a child and embarks on a journey to discover her true destiny. This Wonderland is a world beyond your imagination and unlike anything you've seen before. The extraordinary characters you've loved come to life richer and more colorful than ever. There's the Mad Hatter (Johnny Depp), the White Queen (Anne Hathaway), the Red Queen (Helena Bonham Carter), the White Rabbit (Michael Sheen) and more. A triumphant cinematic experience – Alice in Wonderland is an incredible feast for your eyes, ears and heart that will captivate audiences of all sizes.

Extras:
    • Scene Access
    • Bonus Trailers
    • Featurettes
    • BD-Live
    • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

This one is definitely an entertaining...if not a bit weird film. But hey this is Tim Burton we are talking about.If nothing else it is visually stunning. This is definitely one I would recommend.

Rating:
    Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: June 21, 2016, 04:08:49 PM »
    From the "What Movies I Been Watching" thread...

2003 - Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman
    Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: June 22, 2016, 02:31:29 AM »
         Demolition Man (1993/United States)
    Director:Marco Brambilla
    Writing:Peter M. Lenkov (Story By), Robert Reneau (Story By), Daniel Waters (Screenwriter), Robert Reneau (Screenwriter), Peter M. Lenkov (Screenwriter)
    Length:115 min.
    Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 5.1
    Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
    Sylvester Stallone as John Spartan
    Wesley Snipes as Simon Phoenix
    Sandra Bullock as Lenina Huxley
    Nigel Hawthorne as Dr. Raymond Cocteau
    Benjamin Bratt as Alfredo Garcia

Plot:
    Sylvester Stallone and Wesley Snipes go at it amid a dazzling cyber-future in this explosive hit. In 2032 archcriminal Simon Phoenix (Snipes) awakens from a 35-year deep freeze in CryoPrision to find a serene, nonviolent Los Angeles ready for the taking. Unable to deal with Phoenix's brutal 1990s style, officials seek an old-fashioned cop to fight old-fashioned crime. They revive Sgt. John Spartan (Stallone), unjustly serving a CryoPrison sentence because of his last encounter with Phoenix. Sandra Bullock, Benjamin Bratt and Denis Leary also play rough and tough in this "terrific mix of action and humor" (Joel Siegel, Good Morning America/ABC-TV).

Extras:
    • Scene Access
    • Audio Commentary
    • Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:

This is the first movie I became aware of Sandra Bullock in. To me this is just a fun movie... it is a good mixture of comedy and action. A movie I have enjoyed watching countless times. Sure it is far fetched... pretty much have to suspend believability... but I think as long as you can do that you can definitely enjoy this movie. I thought Sandra Bullock was hilarious in this movie... but of course Stallone and Snipes were also good.

Rating:
    Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: June 30, 2016, 04:14:13 PM »
         Stand by Me: Special Edition (1986/United States)
    Columbia TriStar Home Video (United States)
    Director:Rob Reiner
    Writing:Raynold Gideon (Screenwriter), Bruce A. Evans (Screenwriter), Stephen King (1947) (Original Material By)
    Length:89 min.
    Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
    Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono, Music Only: Dolby Digital: Mono
    Subtitles:Chinese, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
    Wil Wheaton as Gordie Lachance
    River Phoenix as Chris Chambers
    Corey Feldman as Teddy Duchamp
    Jerry O'Connell as Vern Tessio
    Kiefer Sutherland as Ace Merrill

Plot:
    In a small woodsy Oregon town, a group of friends – sensitive Gordie (Wil Wheaton), tough-guy Chris (River Phoenix), flamboyant Teddy (Corey Feldman), and scaredy-cat Vern (Jerry O'Connell) – are in search of a missing teenager's body. Wanting to be heroes in each other's and their hometown's eyes, they set out on an unforgettable two-day trek that turns into an odyssey of self-discovery. They sneak smokes, tell tall tales, cuss 'cause it's cool, and band together when the going gets tough. When they encounter the town's knife-wielding hoods who are also after the body, the boys discover a strength they never knew they had. STAND BY ME is a rare and special film about friendship and the indelible experiences of growing up. Filled with humor and suspense, it is based on the novella "The Body" by Stephen King.

Extras:
    • Scene Access
    • Audio Commentary
    • Bonus Trailers
    • Featurettes
    • Production Notes
    • Music Videos
    • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

This movie reminds me a bit of my childhood. A simpler time. A time when you could go out and play... exploring the neighborhood without your parents having to worry where you are every minute of the day. Something that just don't seem to exist anymore. Though the setting of this movie is well before my time... it still made me think of the simpler times when I was at that age. So much has changed since then. Unfortunately not for the better. The movie is a really good drama with just enough lightheartedness to off set it from becoming to dramatic. I especially got a kick out of when the kids out on their adventure had to cross through a lake in the woods. Coming out the other side discovering they were covered in leaches. This is definitely a film I would recommend... well worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
    Pete