Author Topic: Thanksgiving Deserves a Turn Marathon  (Read 4059 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Thanksgiving Deserves a Turn Marathon
« on: November 16, 2015, 05:39:07 PM »
Thanksgiving Deserves a Turn Marathon

Here lately I have gotten aggravated with how it seems everyone goes directly from Halloween to Christmas .... completely skipping over Thanksgiving not only in the stores but in people's decorations and such. So I decided that this year I am going to have a bit of a Thanksgiving celebration. At the very least with the shows that I watch between now and Thanksgiving.

I went through my DVD collection... I found I have a good 60 TV Show episodes dealing with Thanksgiving. But unfortunately no movies in my collection.

I have found a couple on Netflix.... Planes, Trains and Automobiles and Dutch. Plus I will be checking at the library.

Anyone here have a favorite Thanksgiving themed movie they like to watch/ recommend. I do need some more suggestions. As is now it will for the most part be TV show episodes.

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Thanksgiving Deserves a Turn Marathon
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 08:10:54 PM »
     Free Birds (2013/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Jimmy Hayward
Writing:Scott Mosier (Screenwriter), Jimmy Hayward (Screenwriter), David I. Stern (Story By), John J. Strauss (Story By)
Length:91 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Owen Wilson as Reggie
Woody Harrelson as Jake
Amy Poehler as Jenny
George Takei as S.T.E.V.E.
Colm Meaney as Myles Standish

Plot:
From the Academy Award®-Winning producer of Shrek* comes a hilarious animated adventure about two turkeys from opposite sides of the tracks who travel back in time in order to keep their species off the Thanksgiving menu. Featuring an all-star voice cast, including Owen Wilson, Woody Harrelson and Amy Poehler, Free Birds is loaded with laughs and stuffed with fun for the whole family!

*Aron Warner, Animated Feature Film, 2001.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

I found this one to be entertaining... but a bit on the silly side. It is cute enough for what it is but I think the kids will get more fun out of this one then the adults. It is not a terrible film but there is definitely better animated films out there. A plus I feel this one has is that there really don't seem to be many films out there devoted to Thanksgiving so if you are anything like I am and enjoy having films to watch for every holiday season... you may need this one to help beef up your Thanksgiving collection.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 09:19:14 PM »

8 Simple Rules
1.11: Paul Meets His Match

Paul wants to have a quiet Thanksgiving with just the family. Kerry comes downstairs with boyfriend Jason and irritates her father. Paul reinforces the rule about no boys upstairs when Bridget comes in from the basement with Kyle. At Paul's workplace, Paul and Tommy discuss the rudeness of new editor Nick Sharp. Nick shows up and meets Paul. The two hit it off because they are both dads of teenage daughters.

My Thoughts:
This is a fun episode. Not only does it have a nice strong Thanksgiving storyline but it has fun with differences on how you treat teen girls compared to teen boys when it comes to dating. While Britt never gave me these kind of problems I always found myself thinking about how I would handle such situations. I would hope I could handle it better then was shown here... but no guarantees.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 10:30:26 PM »

8 Simple Rules
2.7: My First Thanksgiving

Rory feels it's his duty to become the man of the house during the Thanksgiving holiday, and sparks begin to ignite between Cate's parents during their visit to the Hennessy household.

My Thoughts:
While still a fun series... it has lost something after the passing of John Ritter. Thanksgiving is definitely integral to the plot of this episode. What with it being the first Thanksgiving after the passing of the father. It was a fun episode... but also a sad one. Especially of the final shots... looking over the turkey to the empty seat where the father would have been sitting.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 11:30:28 PM »

Bewitched
4.12: SAMANTHA'S THANKSGIVING TO REMEMBER
Aunt Clara zips the Stephens family and Gladys Kravitz to witch-hunting Plymouth on Thanksgiving

My Thoughts:
Another episode I really enjoyed a lot. And one that pretty much had to be done considering what the series is about. This one actually would have to be my favorite that I watched today. Just a fun episode with the magic of witchcraft. I have enjoyed growing up watching reruns of this series. So it brings back the nostalgic feel of my childhood.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 05:02:24 PM »

Last Man Standing
3.9: THANKSGIVING
On Thanksgiving, Mike's dad (Robert Forster) announces plans to open a recreational marijuana store; Mike worries what message his dad's business venture will send to the family.

My Thoughts:
First time I ever seen this one. It is a show I liked... but fell behind on watching. I am now catching up on the episodes thanks to Netflix. It is a good holiday episode. Thanksgiving is a major theme. Not only does the family and friends get together to have Thanksgiving dinner... young Boyd's homework assignment is to get what everyone in the family is thankful for.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 11:06:10 AM »

Supergirl
1.4: Livewire
Kara's Thanksgiving may be ruined when she suspects her foster mother, Dr. Danvers, who is coming to town, disapproves of her new role as a superhero. Also, when an accident transforms a volatile CatCo employee into the villainous Livewire, she targets Cat and Supergirl.

My Thoughts:
I found I am really liking this new superhero TV Series. Though I can't really put my finger on why. It isn't really that great of a series and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't get a second season. But for some reason I am enjoying this show quite a bit. And I like that Kara's adoptive mother is played by Helen Slater (Supergirl from the movie) and her adoptive father is played by Dean Cain (Superman from Lois & Clark). This Thanksgiving episode is probably one of my favorite episodes to date. I like that they used a villain that I am familiar with and it did have some fun action. Though the Thanksgiving theme was pretty minimal.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 04:01:51 PM »
     Dutch (1991/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Anchor Bay Entertainment (United States)
Director:Peter Faiman
Writing:John Hughes (1950) (Writer)
Length:108 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Ed O'Neill as Dutch
Ethan Embry [Ethan Randall] as Doyle
JoBeth Williams as Natalie
Christopher McDonald as Reed
Ari Meyers as Brock

Plot:
Ed O'Neill of "Modern Family" stars as Dutch Dooley, a working-class good guy who's the new boyfriend of a wealthy big shot's ex-wife. But when the woman's spoiled son (Ethan Randall, of Can't Hardly Wait and Sweet Home Alabama, in one of his first film roles) refuses to come home from his Southern prep school for Thanksgiving, Dutch volunteers to pick the bratty boy up for a road trip back to Chicago that quickly goes hilariously wrong. From fireworks fiascos to hitchhiking with hookers, can a man who's really just a grown-up kid find a way to bring out the child in a little jerk?

Christopher McDonald (Happy Gilmore, "Harry's Law"), E.G. Daily (Valley Girl) and JoBeth Williams (The Big Chill, Poltergeist) co-star in this comedy hit written and produced by John Hughes (Home Alone, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation) and directed by Peter Faiman ('Crocodile' Dundee) about two strangers about to become best friends...with the scars to prove it!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:

Sure... this is definitely not an award winning film.... but I enjoyed it. It is a fun and silly movie. It felt like a fun twist on the film Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Ed O'Neill was great as Dutch... and the kid was pretty good too. Definitely worth the time put in to watch it but there is better out there.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 09:39:12 PM »

Waltons TV Movie
A Day of Thanks on Walton's Mountain
Third Waltons reunion movie has most of the family split up on the days approaching Thanksgiving, c. 1946. But most of the family begins to arrive at Walton's Mountain begging with John-Boy recovering from a case of writers block in New York followed by Jason now a struggling musician as well as John Walton whom tries to get everyone together for the special event for Elizabeth.

My Thoughts:
While I found this one enjoyable... it wasn't as much as it could have been. The problem is I haven't seen the series in so many MANY years that I forgot most of the characters. But I guess that is to be expected since I haven't seen the show since I was a pre-teen. So it took me a while to get into this one. But about three quarters of the way through I finally did. And I was getting used to the characters again. One problem I had is they had a different actor playing Johnboy... one of the few characters I did remember. At least they got the original actor back for the next Thanksgiving TV movie which I am getting ready to watch.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 01:36:32 PM »

Th Big Bang Theory
7.9: The Thanksgiving Decoupling
The gang spend Thanksgiving at Mrs. Wolowitz's house. Howard tries to bond with his father-in-law, and a mistake from Penny's past comes back to haunt her.

My Thoughts:
It was the best episode I have seen in a long time. I was literally laughing out loud several times throughout the episode. It was so good the episode was over before I knew it. Barely felt like 10 min. let alone twenty-some. Bernadette's father and Sheldon bonding over football and beer was hilarious. As was the little surprise from Penny.

My Rating:
Pete