Author Topic: DVD Profiler: How do you feel about alternate profiles?  (Read 3417 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
DVD Profiler: How do you feel about alternate profiles?
« on: March 18, 2015, 12:51:47 PM »
Hi,

just out of curiosity: What do alternate profiles mean for your personal collection?

For me, five years ago I would have been completely gung-ho about it and used it extensively.

But today? I have so many TV series discs that are most likely re-releases because I rarely buy on release date that for all intents and purposes, I'd have to change pretty much all of my database to alternate profiles.

I also already have duplicate disc Ids that I have moved to manual profiles.

If my profiles did not match the online profiles in certain aspects, I just edited the fields locally and locked them.

As of now I'm not in any mood to check if any of my standard profiles should be changed to any of the already contributed alternate profiles or into a to-be-created alternate profile.

I guess, I will use this feature for new purchases but not go through my whole collection to adapt profiles that already have been suited to my needs.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

MEJHarrison

Re: DVD Profiler: How do you feel about alternate profiles?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 07:11:40 PM »
I'm excited about them.  It will be nice to profile sets without resorting to manual profiles.  Thought I'm a little upset that we can't do alternate cuts.  I get not allowing them for TV at this point.  But I honestly I see no point at all for forbidding them from alternate cuts.

hal9g

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 01:49:48 AM »
Considering that I contributed 82 variant profiles, it's fair to say I support them, but only for instances where there are two movies on the same side of a disc. I will not use them in any case where they are done because the cover image is the only difference. Ken has a long term solution for that issue, and Ii will wait for it to be implemented.

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 05:40:44 PM »
I have not been keeping up with the issue like I should have been. Can alternate profiles be submitted to the database or are they local only?

(Wow... this is only my 6th post since June last year. I have been away so long it seems!)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 05:42:38 PM by Blair »
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 02:13:38 PM »
I have not been keeping up with the issue like I should have been. Can alternate profiles be submitted to the database or are they local only?
Yes, they can be contributed.

Once downloaded the the Disc-ID for the variant will have "#1", "#2" behind it.

I also find it quite useful for discs with 2 movies on one side. I think I only have three or four re-releases with different cover image, I think I will update these. Not sure if YV Series are an issue for me.