Author Topic: Within My (Mom's) Lifetime Marathon  (Read 54179 times)

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Within My (Mom's) Lifetime Marathon
« on: January 05, 2015, 06:05:16 AM »
Within My (Mom's) Lifetime Marathon
So, we are following along with Pete and doing our own lifetime marathon.  Since my mom has retired this year, we are doing her birthyear - 1946!  Also, I am totally cheating and counting anything for my/our other two unfinished marathons (around-the-world, and the alphabet) so that we can actually finish all of them.  But with her being retired now, there should be a lot more time to watch movies, since commute time has been cut!

1946 - The Dark Corner (3/5)
1947 - The Lady From Shanghai (4/5)
1948 - Hamlet (5/5)
1949 - Late Spring (4.5/5)
1950 - Sunset Boulevard (5/5)
1951 - The African Queen (4.5/5)
1952 - The Quiet Man (4/5)
1953 - Roman Holiday (3.75/5)
1954 - Sabrina (3.5/5)
1955 - Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy (3/5)
1956 - ...and God Created Woman (3.5/5)
1957 - 12 Angry Men (5/5)
1958 - The Old Man and the Sea (3.25/5)
1959 - Letter Never Sent (4/5)
1960 - Zazie dans le metro (3.5/5)
1961 - A Woman is a Woman (3.5/5)
1962 - Lawrence of Arabia (5/5)
1963 - The Comedy of Terrors (3/5)
1964 - The Tomb of Ligeia (4/5)
1965 - Kwaidan (4/5)
1966 - The Russians are Coming The Russians Are Coming (3.75/5)
1967 - Bonnie and Clyde (4/5)
1968 - 2001: A Space Odyssey (4/5)
1969 - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (4.5/5)
1970 - An Evening of Edgar Allan Poe (3.25/5)
1971 - Daughters of Darkness (3/5)
1972 - Frenzy (3.75/5)
1973 - F For Fake (4/5)
1974 - Chinatown (4.5/5)
1975 - Picnic at Hanging Rock (4/5)
1976 - All the President's Men (4.5/5)
1977 - The Last Wave (4/5)
1978 - Watership Down (4/5)
1979 - Murder By Decree (2.5/5)
1980 - The Final Countdown (3.5/5)
1981 - The Beyond (2.5/5)
1982 - Arcadia of My Youth (4/5)
1983 - House of the Long Shadows (3/5)
1984 - The Times of Harvey Milk (4.5/5)
1985 - Night on the Galactic Railroad (4/5)
1986 - Labyrinth (4/5)
1987 - The Brave Little Toaster (3.5/5)
1988 - High Spirits (3/5)
1989 - Millennium (3/5)
1990 - The Company of Strangers (3.75/5)
1991 - Beauty and the Beast (4/5)
1992 - Baraka (5/5)
1993 - Ordeal in the Arctic (3.5/5)
1994 - The Santa Clause (3.25/5)
1995 - Home for the Holidays (3.75/5)
1996 - James and the Giant Peach (3.5/5)
1997 - Happy Together (3.75/5)
1998 - Kestrel's Eye (3.5/5)
1999 - Believe (3/5)
2000 - Snatch (4/5)
2001 - Spirited Away (5/5)
2002 - Russian Ark (4/5)
2003 - The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer (2.5/5)
2004 - Salem's Lot (3/5)
2005 - Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (3.75/5)
2006 - The Da Vinci Code (3.5/5)
2007 - Into the Wild (3.5/5)
2008 - Still Walking (4.5/5)
2009 - The Secret of Kells (4/5)
2010 - Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (3.75/5)
2011 - Dolphin Tale (4/5)
2012 - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (4/5)
2013 - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (4/5)
2014 - The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies (4/5)
2015 - The Avengers: Age of Ultron (3/5)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 04:16:06 AM by Danae Cassandra »
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Within My (Mom's) Lifetime Marathon
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 06:07:41 AM »
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 06:10:38 AM »

The Dark Corner:
Year of Release: 1946
Directed By: Henry Hathaway
Starring: Lucille Ball, Clifton Webb, William Bendix, Mark Stevens
Genre: Suspense/Thriller, Film Noir

Overview:
Some men are drawn to women -- some men are drawn to murder.  In this captivating story of strange obsession, Kathleen Conley (Lucille Ball) and her boss, Brad Galt (Mark Stevens), are caught up in something shockingly different...and terrifyingly dangerous.  Galt has a secret so terrible, he might have to kill to keep it.  In the midst of their budding romance, Kathleen and Galt are being tailed by a heavy-set man in a white suit (William Bendix) and though she doesn't know why or how strong the threat is, Galt does, and he is prepared to go to extreme lengths to protect himself.

My Thoughts:
This is a pretty good little film. The mystery isn't hard to work out before the reveal, but it's a decent set-up and the characters are mostly interesting. Stevens' character was a little too cardboard-cut-out tough guy for my tastes, and his super-gruff voice was kinda annoying, but I really liked Lucille Ball's Kathleen. She was a real tough cookie. I never liked her show, but she's real good here. Shame she didn't get more serious acting work. The script is quite witty, and Ball gets all the best lines, but the unfamiliar might trip up on the slang. Recommended if you like film noir.

Bechdel Test: Fail

Overall: 3/5
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 05:31:40 AM »

Picnic at Hanging Rock
Year of Release: 1975
Directed By: Peter Weir
Starring: Rachel Roberts, Vivean Gray, Helen Morse, Anne Lambert, Margaret Nelson
Genre: Suspense/Thriller

Overview:
Twenty years after it swept Australia into the international film spotlight, Peter Weir's stunning 1975 masterpiece remains as ineffable as the unanswerable mystery at its core. A Valentine's Day picnic at an ancient volcanic outcropping turns to disaster for the residents of Mrs. Appleyard's school when a few young girls inexplicably vanish on Hanging Rock. A lyrical, meditative film charged with suppressed longings, Picnic at Hanging Rock is at long last available in a pristine widescreen director's cut with a newly-minted Dolby® Digital 5.1 channel soundtrack.

My Thoughts:
This was a beautiful, moody, haunting film.  The cinematography is absolutely gorgeous, and the pan flute soundtrack is perfectly chosen for the otherworldly ambiance of Hanging Rock.  This is a film about repression and freedom, dreams and nightmares, of time moving and standing still.  It has a sort of magical realism quality to it, and what should be the nightmare doesn't feel like it is one, while what should be reality feels like it might be the nightmare.  It's not so much about the disappearances as it is about those who are left behind, less about the mystery than how others deal with the mystery.   

I'll readily admit it's not for everyone.  It's a slow film, with a lot of symbolism and atmosphere but not a lot of action.  The ending doesn't tie up anything or solve the mystery.  Of course, not all mysteries are ever solved.  Recommended for art film lovers.  Definitely something I want to upgrade to blu.

Bechdel Test: Pass

Overall: 4/5
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 05:22:47 AM »

Dolphin Tale
Year of Release: 2011
Directed By: Charles Martin Smith
Starring: Harry Connick Jr, Ashley Judd, Nathan Gamble, Kris Kristofferson, Cozi Zuehlsdorff, Morgan Freeman
Genre: Drama, Family

Overview:
In an inspiring story of the bond between animals and humans, a boy named Sawyer discovers an injured dolphin, who is brought to a marine hospital and named Winter. Unfortunately, her injuries cost Winter her tail, without which she may not survive. But with Sawyer's devotion, a marine biologist's (Harry Connick Jr.) and the brilliance of a prosthetist (Morgan Freeman) charged with creating a new tail, Winter may receive a second chance at life.

My Thoughts:
This is a lovely family film, inspired by the true story of the rescue of an injured dolphin. It's very much a feel good movie, with a message of triumph over adversity, and to not give up no matter how hopeless things might seem. Don't give up on yourself, don't give up on your dreams, don't give up on your family.

Don't know why it's rated PG, there's no violence and absolutely nothing offensive. The acting is solid, especially the child actors. I really liked that Sawyer and Hazel are allowed to be children, and that the adults are not portrayed as the enemy. Maybe they don't always understand where the kids are coming from, and maybe they're world-weary when the kids are all optimism, but they're not the villain here. Even the person you think is going to be the villain isn't.

All in all, a warmhearted, uplifting family film, and a solid choice for anyone interested in such things, and any kid who can sit through a 2 hour movie. Recommended.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:24:36 AM by Danae Cassandra »
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 05:24:01 AM »
2010 - Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives

I posted the review in the Around-the-World marathon.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:43:16 AM by Danae Cassandra »
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 06:07:44 PM »

Russian Ark  (Russkiy kovcheg)
Year of Release: 2002
Directed By: Alexander Sokurov
Starring: Sergei Dreiden, Mariya Kuznetsova, Leonid Mozgovoy, Mikhail Piotrovsky
Genre: Drama

Overview:
Alexander Sokurov's (Mother and Son) cinematic tour-de-force follows a modern filmmaker who magically finds himself transported to the 18th century.There, he embarks on a time-traveling journey through 300 years of Russian history. Filmed with a cast of thousands, three live orchestras and a army of technicians, Russian Ark is the longest uninterrupted shot in film history, and the first feature film ever created in a single take.

My Thoughts:
This is an incredible, beautiful film.  Firstly, and most obviously, the technical aspect of its filming in a single shot is incredible, and that alone makes it worth a view for a serious film lover. 

The ark will sail forever.  History is not gone, it is not some static linear line of past and present, but instead is always with us.  These people are dead, yes, but they live as long as we remember them.  Past, present and future are one.  Even in sadness there is beauty, in joy there is horror.  Everything is connected.

Definitely a film I enjoyed, but it's very much an art film.  It moves very slowly, there isn't exactly much plot or a lot in the way of characters.  I would never think of recommending to the mass-market crowd.  For the serious film lover, I think it's an absolute must see.

-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 07:51:16 PM »

Spirited Away  (Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi)
Year of Release: 2001
Directed By: Miyazaki Hayao
Starring: Rumi Hiiragi, Mari Natsuki, Miyu Irino, Yumi Tamai
Genre: Fantasy, Adventure, Anime

Overview:
From one of the most celebrated filmmakers in the history of animated cinema comes the most acclaimed film of 2002. Hayao Miyazaki's latest triumph, filled with astonishing animation and epic adventure, is a dazzling masterpiece for the ages. It's a "wonderfully welcoming work of art that's as funny and entertaining as it is brilliant, beautiful and deep" (Joe Morgenstern, Wall Street Journal).

Spirited Away is a wondrous fantasy about a young girl, Chihiro, trapped in a strange new world of spirits. When her parents undergo a mysterious transformation, she must call upon the courage she never knew she had to free herself and return her family to the outside world.

This deluxe 2-disc set overflows with outstanding bonus features, including the Japanese television special about the making of the film, an inside view into the artistry of Miyazaki, and a storyboard-to-scene comparison. Spirited Away is a spectacular DVD the whole family will want to experience over and over again.

My Thoughts:
This is probably Miyazaki's best known film.  It did after all win the Oscar for Best Animated Feature in 2002.  It's not my favorite of his films - but that's not saying much.  Miyazaki's films are universally excellent.  Every one of them.  If I prefer others over this one, that doesn't make Spirited Away any less a great film.

And it is a great film.  It has a wonderful story, superb animation, and great voice work.  There is so much detail in the film, so much life and imagination and character in evidence in every part of the film, every little thing unique and fantastic. Chihiro is a great heroine, too, who begins in a place of being a pretty ordinary kid, a bit selfish and a bit whiny, but who grows into an independent, strong young woman, who puts others ahead of herself and works hard to help them.

I can't recommend this film highly enough.  And like I said, this isn't even my favorite Miyazaki film, which I think says a lot.  I really recommend the subtitled version, as I think the voice work is better, and I really believe every film should be heard in its original language.  But, the dub isn't bad.  I pretty much hate dubs, but this one isn't terrible and if you really can't take subtitles then that's the way to go.  

Great film for anyone, except very small children, who might get scared of the spirits in the film and wouldn't follow the story anyway.

Bechdel Test: Pass

Overall: 5/5
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 07:52:51 PM by Danae Cassandra »
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 05:07:18 AM »
My Thoughts:
This is probably Miyazaki's best known film.
Disney are surer taking their time with this one (on Blu-ray), though :( (I was originally introduced to Miyazaki with Nausicäa and Laputa. Now in the process of buying all Disney Blu-rays as they come out.)

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 12:41:14 PM »
My Thoughts:
This is probably Miyazaki's best known film.
Disney are surer taking their time with this one (on Blu-ray), though :( (I was originally introduced to Miyazaki with Nausicäa and Laputa. Now in the process of buying all Disney Blu-rays as they come out.)
I know.  I just got Mononoke on blu, and have intentions of getting Kiki next paycheck.  Porco Rosso, Pom Poko, and Tales from Earthsea are announced for next week.  Princess Kaguya comes out on the 17th.  I think that only leaves Spirited Away and Castle of Cagliostro.  It really boggles that they're waiting so long on Spirited Away and coming out with the others first.  Well, Kaguya makes sense since it's new, but they're all much lesser known films IMO.  I get asked for Spirited Away all the time at the shop.

And then The Cat Returns and Only Yesterday are the other Ghibli films not on blu - I don't think the latter is even out over here on DVD. 
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 04:01:31 PM »

Labyrinth
Year of Release: 1986
Directed By: Jim Henson
Starring: David Bowie, Jennifer Connelly, Toby Froud, Brian Henson, Ron Mueck, David Shaughnessy
Genre: Fantasy, Adventure

Overview:
Journey into the fantastical world of Labyrinth, starring David Bowie and a cast of incredible creatures created by Jim Henson. Frustrated with babysitting on yet another weekend night, Sarah (Jennifer Connelly), a teenager with an active imagination, summons the Goblins from her favorite book, "Labyrinth", to take her baby stepbrother away. When little Toby actually disappears, Sarah must follow him into the world of the fairy tale to rescue him from the wicked Goblin King (Bowie)! Guarding his castle is the labyrinth itself, a twisted maze of deception, populated with outrageous characters and unknown dangers. To get through it in time to save Toby, Sarah will have to outwit the King by befriending the very Goblins who protect him, in hopes that their loyalty isn't just another illusion in a place where nothing is as it seems!

My Thoughts:
This is an old childhood favorite.  Of course, unlike some friends of mine, I was never rooting for Sarah.  I am Jareth's fan all the way.

I had such a massive crush on him when I was younger.

There's a lot of nostalgia wrapped up in this film for me.  It was such a favorite of mine as a child, and it takes me back to the good parts of my childhood.  And nostalgia always lets you view things through glasses tinted rose.

I don't know that I would love it so much if I came to it first today.  It's a lot of fun, sure, and the puppetry is fantastic.  David Bowie is a sexy and elegant as ever.  But I've never liked Sarah's character, and I still don't.  I also didn't particularly like Connelly's portrayal, which is something I wouldn't have consciously thought about back then.  

At the same time, I still think it's a lovely fantasy story, a lovely adventure, and a fun film ... even if I would like to see more of Jareth and less of Sarah.  A good time, recommended for kids 6 and up (there are a few parts that could be a bit dark for the wee set), or anyone with a taste for fantasy or 80's nostalgia.  

With regard to medium, while the colors are very clear on the blu, a couple of scenes were super obvious for being effects based and green-screened - most especially and most glaringly the scene with the red creatures that take off their heads.  Whatever process they did to clean this up for blu made that scene look very artificial in a way that I don't remember it looking before.

-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 05:38:39 PM »

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Year of Release: 2012
Directed By: Peter Jackson
Starring: Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, Richard Armitage, Ken Stott, Graham McTavish
Genre: Fantasy, Adventure, Action

Overview:
The first in a trilogy of films based on the enduring masterpiece The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey follows title character Bilbo Baggins, who - along with the Wizard Gandalf and 13 Dwarves, led by Thorin Oakenshield - is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor from the fearsome Dragon Smaug. Their journey will take them into the Wild, through treacherous lands inhabited by Goblins, Orcs and deadly Wargs, as well as a mysterious and sinister figure known only as the Necromancer. Along the path, the unassuming Bilbo Baggins not only discovers depths of ingenuity and courage that surprise even himself, he also gains possession of a "precious" ring tied to the fate of all Middle-Earth in ways he cannot begin to imagine.

My Thoughts:
Am I the right person to review this film?  That may be a question that may puzzle us for some time.  I say that because I love Middle-Earth.  No, I LOVE Middle-Earth.  LOVE LOVE LOVE it.  A year hasn't gone by since I first read the books that I haven't re-read them.  My professor at UofL in a class on fantasy literature said I knew more about the books than he did.  My fellow geek co-workers turn to me when ephemera questions about something in Middle-Earth comes up (we got into Silmarillion happenings a few weeks back).  I'm such a Middle-Earth fan girl, I knew going in that I would enjoy this trilogy.

But neither this one, nor the second one, are as good as Jackson's The Lord of the Rings

Unexpected Journey is a fun movie.  It's full of action, adventure, humor, and if LotR wasn't there would probably be considered a better film.  But LotR is there, and it was a masterpiece.  It was spectacular.  And Unexpected Journey isn't, for all of Jackson's trying to live up to LotR

This is my third time seeing this film, however, and I'll watch it again when 5 Armies comes out for extended blu.

Let's enumerate the good first.  Martin Freeman does a really great Bilbo.  Richard Armitage is a great Thorin, even if his Thorin is very, very different from book-Thorin.  I think I could watch Ian McKellen do anything.  The scenery is spectacular, and you get a real feel for travelling through Middle-Earth.  The riddle sequence with Gollum was really well done, and might be my favorite scene in the film.

Still, especially this third time around, you get a feel for what is wrong with the film.  They should have kept the way they showed Bilbo find the ring in LotR.  It's a glaring change, and one that not only really wasn't needed, but jars.  In seeing the extended film for the first time this viewing, I really, really think they should have kept the sequence in Rivendell where Gandalf and Elrond are talking about a streak of madness in Thorin's family.  It's so obviously foreshadowing what's going to happen that leaving it out in the theatrical was a pretty obvious mistake.  The extra lines in the White Council scene I'd have kept too. On the other hand, some of it really did need to be cut - especially some other parts of the dwarves in Rivendell, like the bathing sequence, that make them seem extremely uncouth.  Yes, we get that dwarves and elves are different, and it's supposed to be funny, but all that bit did was make them the butt of a joke that wasn't funny but kinda cruel, IMO.  It also looks a lot more artificial than LotR sometimes, almost like a video game rather than a movie. 

Still, if this is the only way we get the explore more of Middle-Earth and spend more time there, then I'll take it.  I love Middle-Earth too much not to.  It's still a fun movie, a great ride, and vastly entertaining.  It's just not a masterpiece the way the original trilogy was, and that's a shame.

-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 12:48:37 AM »

I've reviewed this film before:  click here

This is my first time seeing the extended edition.  My thoughts on that are that this extended edition is better than Unexpected Journey's extended edition.  All of the extended sequences were better, especially the parts with Beorn, the parts in Mirkwood (glad to see the black river!), and the inclusion of Thrain in Dol Guldur.  Here all of the extended pieces really added to the film, unlike in the first one.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 06:12:45 PM »

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
Year of Release: 2014
Directed By: Peter Jackson
Starring: Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, Ian McKellen, all those guys from the first two films
Genre: Fantasy, Action, Adventure

My Thoughts:
Everyone was saying that this was a step down from the previous two Hobbit films.  I don't agree with that.  All three are an enormous step down from Lord of the Rings, but The Hobbit trilogy holds together itself.  If you've enjoyed the first two, and like me, simply enjoy spending time in Middle Earth, you'll enjoy this one.  If you didn't like the first two, don't bother seeing this one. 

What was good in the other films is also good here - Freeman's Bilbo is wonderful.  He really does a great job with the character, and I really wish we'd seen more of him.  Armitage's Thorin is also great, and I liked his descent into madness, I thought he did it really well with what he was given to work with.  In fact, I felt all of the actors did well with what they were given.

The problems of the other films are present here too.  There's too much action, too much emphasis on the set-pieces, and not enough character moments.  We needed to see more of Thorin's descent into madness (and we needed the foreshadowing that got left out of the theatrical cuts of the previous two films).  A lot of the green screen work was really atrociously obvious for being green screen work. 

The character moments that were there worked so very well, though, and the deaths definitely brought a tear to the eye.  The journey is over, now, though despite my criticisms and the flaws of his second trilogy, if Jackson did anything else in Middle Earth I'd watch it in a heartbeat.  So take from all this as you will.

-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 05:38:16 AM »

The Brave Little Toaster
Year of Release: 1987
Directed By: Jerry Rees
Starring: Jon Lovitz, Tim Stack, Timothy E. Day, Thurl Ravenscroft, Deanna Oliver
Genre: Adventure, Animation

Overview:
Celebrate the 15th anniversary of the classic animated tale of friendship, loyalty and courage with the award-winning family favorite, The Brave Little Toaster.

Five electrical appliances suddenly feel "dumped" when their young master mysteriously disappears. The dejected toaster rounds up the vacuum cleaner, electric blanket, bedside lamp and radio, and together they set off for the big city in search of their beloved owner.

Featuring a host of catchy songs and the voices of Saturday Night Live alumni Phil Hartman and Jon Lovitz, The Brave Little Toaster is a humorous and heartwarming tale you'll never forget.

My Thoughts:
This is a lovely little film.  Full of heart and charm, loyalty and friendship.  It's a bit darker than most films aimed at children, with the scenes in the junkyard and what happens with the old cars, but everything turns out alright in the end.

One great message that comes through clearly is that newer isn't always better, and buying something new can't always replace something old.  Fixing things, caring for things, remembering that everything has a story and a history, creates a richer life.  Everything has a spirit, and deserves to be cared for. 

The animation is very simple, especially as compared to newer films, but that's just part of the charm here.  Recommended for anyone like 5 and up.  This isn't a film for the really little ones, but there is plenty to enjoy even after you're well grown up.

Overall: 3.5/5
-- Thorin Oakenshield